HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Michigan Sports Logo Bracket -- Wings Almost Out (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1484457)

RockemSockemProberts 08-13-2013 09:34 PM

Michigan Sports Logo Bracket -- Wings Almost Out

After cruising through their first few match-ups, it's not looking good for the Wings:

http://www.freep.com/article/2013081...s-logo-bracket

Against Ferris State of all teams!? (currently leading about 55% to 45%)

mikerooooose 08-13-2013 10:29 PM

I went to Ferris State and I HATE that Bulldog!

RockemSockemProberts 08-14-2013 12:15 AM

I've got nothing against Ferris, but the logo is clip art. Looks like the frat boys and alums must have got wind of the Freep competition and are going to do Hockeytown in.

Nut Upstrom 08-14-2013 01:33 AM

I'm just happy we got past the Lumberjacks. :sarcasm:
That bulldog had a pretty easy route to the final four, it's still lame.
Surprised to see the Griffins knock off the Wolverines.

TheMoreYouKnow 08-14-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nut Upstrom (Post 70187311)
Surprised to see the Griffins knock off the Wolverines.

Never underestimate the spitefulness of Sparty.

SoupNazi 08-14-2013 07:21 AM

I would love to see it come down between the Tigers and Wings. Ferris State's logo is pretty awful.

Unfortunately, it's not going to be that way.

redjax 08-14-2013 08:40 AM

It's pretty obviously Tigers v. Wings - some people have no sense of taste it appears.

RockemSockemProberts 08-14-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alConn (Post 70190563)
It's pretty obviously Tigers v. Wings - some people have no sense of taste it appears.

Further proven by the fact that it looks like the bulldog has this one in the bag. Oh, sports fans of Michigan, what are you thinking...

The Winged Wheel should have had this one all the way.

Detroit Sports 08-15-2013 12:03 AM

Red Wings have the best logo in SPORTS period IMO...

Cbdudek 08-15-2013 07:33 AM

Go Bulldogs!

zombi 08-15-2013 11:41 AM

Would be nice to move onto the next round but....no way we're beating the Tigers.

Shoalzie 08-15-2013 12:00 PM

An angry bulldog with a collar...it's so innovative.

jaster 08-15-2013 12:12 PM

Poll looks to be a farce. There's no way the voting is representative of sports fans. Some Ferris alum probably hired someone smarter than himself to hack the website's voting code :laugh:

crashman 08-15-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaster (Post 70230361)
Poll looks to be a farce. There's no way the voting is representative of sports fans. Some Ferris alum probably hired someone smarter than himself to hack the website's voting code :laugh:

It could also be a stunt by a rival fanbase. I mean, the Ferris State Bulldog might be the most ridiculous of the lot (aside for the rat), so maybe a group of people is just trying to sabotage the poll.

I suspect Blackhawks fans! :sarcasm:

Shoalzie 08-15-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaster (Post 70230361)

I was going to with 'a lot of unemployed Ferris alums with free time' but I work with a few and they're good dudes. I spent a couple years at GVSU so I feel a little bit of a rivalry towards them.

ArGarBarGar 08-15-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow (Post 70189023)

I think Michigan fans think there is more spite than there actually is. It's not like the logo of a block letter is all that innovative.

jaster 08-15-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar (Post 70236031)
I think Michigan fans think there is more spite than there actually is. It's not like the logo of a block letter is all that innovative.

It's not so much spite as it is an inferiority complex :)

hot dog 08-16-2013 09:58 AM

God I hate the UM/MSU rivalry. Way too many idiots on both sides. That said, I do think GRG's logo is > Michigan's...

Anyway, seems like this poll is a much bigger deal to FSU than anyone else. Oh well. Not sure who I would choose between the Wings and Tigers. Now it's an easy vote that I probably won't make instead of a tough one.

Shoalzie 08-16-2013 10:57 AM

For a pure logo, what's better than the winged wheel? I love the classic Detroit old English D but that's just typography but the best logo logo...the Wings wipe the floor with anything in this state. The Spartan logo is often used, Michigan's block M isn't original, any Piston logo is pretty ordinary, the Lions logo could be better...all the other small school logos aren't all the original.

ArGarBarGar 08-16-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaster (Post 70245449)
It's not so much spite as it is an inferiority complex :)

Again, I think a good chunk of Michigan fans who want to believe that is the case when it isn't generally true.

Brick Top 08-16-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar (Post 70261985)
Again, I think a good chunk of Michigan fans who want to believe that is the case when it isn't generally true.

I don't know... seems like plenty of the diehard Sparty fans I know here in West MI are harboring some sort of inferiority complex towards UM. A lot of their dislike seems to be rooted in the # of championships UM has won and how its fans love to focus on that (getting to that in a second), which is where I'll buy the inferiority idea for State fans.

Of course, that's generally balanced out by the number of UM fans who exude this odd air of superiority, pointing to past championships which are falling further and further behind in the rearview mirror (at this point, it's similar to Habs fans pointing to having the most Cups but not actually having won anything recently).

I moved to the Michigan area in 2002 and at the time was pretty neutral towards each school. Didn't take long living with both fanbases to dislike both programs, though.

we like our team 08-16-2013 01:06 PM

the nuances of boring college rivalries

The Zetterberg Era 08-16-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow (Post 70189023)

Yeah because a block M is an awesome logo.:sarcasm: I grew up despising U of M, my baby sister went there and as I got older it has lessened some. In any event even while hating them growing up Michigan has an awesome fight song, cool football helmets and is a stellar academic institution. One thing I don't have to admit to is them having is a cool logo, they don't.

It's boring if Michigan advance in any round with the standard block M it would be the power Michigan alumni and their Walmart Michigan fans to force that along down the road.

The fact that Tigers D is in Old English makes it cool, but standard letter like what U of M uses is never going to be great, sorry.

The Zetterberg Era 08-16-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brick Top (Post 70263997)
I don't know... seems like plenty of the diehard Sparty fans I know here in West MI are harboring some sort of inferiority complex towards UM. A lot of their dislike seems to be rooted in the # of championships UM has won and how its fans love to focus on that (getting to that in a second), which is where I'll buy the inferiority idea for State fans.

Of course, that's generally balanced out by the number of UM fans who exude this odd air of superiority, pointing to past championships which are falling further and further behind in the rearview mirror (at this point, it's similar to Habs fans pointing to having the most Cups but not actually having won anything recently).

I moved to the Michigan area in 2002 and at the time was pretty neutral towards each school. Didn't take long living with both fanbases to dislike both programs, though.

Never understood why they put up with the Championship things, the last University in the state to win an outright National Championship in football and basketball is MSU.

Grew up a Spartan fan wound up going to school out of state. In any event the large part of this rivalry that really muddies the waters seems to be the fans that attach on to each school. I am certainly guilty of still rooting for MSU as a second team, in football because Marquette doesn't have one I still pull for them kind of like my team. But I didn't go there so I wouldn't engage in huge **** talking storms and certainly wouldn't engage a U of M grad in a hostile manner, nothing to gain from that. I can watch it from the comfort of my home or with buddies I know aren't rooting for U of M.

I will say this the rest of B1G country finds U of M pretty arrogant. You can say it is jealousy or whatever makes them feel better. But I have lived in Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin in terms of the Midwest and B1G states. Guess what they all hate U of M, one of the first things they point to is the arrogance of their road fans and fans in general.

Growing up I used to call U of M versus ND game the arrogance bowl for just this reason. Like I said in my opinion it is actually rarely a true U of M alumni that gets them this rap so there it is unfortunate. Those exist as well, but I actually think most of the obnoxious parts of the fan-base aren't alumni, and unfortunately for MSU fans most of the obnoxious parts of their fan-base are alumni at least in my experience.

There is an MSU inferiority complex and U of M's opinion of itself is a little aggrandized from what they have actually accomplished, especially lately where this rivalry is close in both major sports.

jaster 08-18-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar (Post 70261985)

I was mostly just razzing ya, but the truth is, a rivalry exists. And where there is a rivalry, there is spite and dislike on both sides. Exactly how much there is is obviously impossible to quantify, but it's certainly there. And in the case of UM-MSU, a lot of that angst has manifested itself in an inferiority complex/arrogance stand-off.

Now, as a UM alum who has MSU alum friends, I think the rivalry is of a friendlier nature between people who attended the schools than it is between the fanbases in general (however, there are many more obnoxious Spartan alum out there than UM alum; I've had too many experiences and too many Spartans admit to that to think it is anything but true). I do find it somewhat odd that so many people who haven't attended these schools attach themselves so strongly to them. It's also unfortunate since they are the ones who often harbor the most hate.

That all aside, the FSU logo beating the Winged Wheel is a joke, regardless of who is at fault. The best two logos in the state belong to the Tigers and the Red Wings. Anyone who disagrees with this is wrong and probably a Spartan fan :naughty: :sarcasm: