HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Prospect Info: Prospect Tournament (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1487765)

Flames Fanatic 08-21-2013 01:30 PM

Prospect Tournament
 
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=680536

Quote:


CALGARY, AB -- The Calgary Flames announced today the roster for the 2013 Young Stars Classic in Penticton, BC. This will be the third time the Flames have participated in the Young Stars Classic. The round-robin tournament will feature prospects from the Vancouver Canucks, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, San Jose Sharks and Winnipeg Jets from September 5 - 9th.

CALGARY FLAMES YOUNG STARS CLASSIC ROSTER

GOALTENDERS

Laurent Brossoit

Joni Ortio

DEFENCEMEN

Ryan Culkin

Zach Davies

Keegan Kanzig

Brett Kulak

John Ramage

Eric Roy

Patrick Sieloff

Tyler Wotherspoon

FORWARDS

Sven Baertschi

Turner Elson

Michael Ferland

Coda Gordon

Markus Granlund

Ben Hanowski

Ryan Howse

Josh Jooris

Morgan Klimchuk

Corban Knight

Sean Monahan

Linden Penner

Emile Poirier

Max Reinhart

Young Stars Classic Tournament Schedule

Game 1: Edmonton vs Calgary - Sept. 5 at 4:00 PM PST

Game 2: Vancouver vs San Jose - Sept. 5 at 7:30 PM PST

Game 3: Winnipeg vs San Jose - Sept. 6 at 4:00 PM PST

Game 4: Vancouver vs Calgary - Sept. 6 at 7:30 PM PST

Game 5: Alumni Game - Sept. 7 at 5:00 PM PST

Game 6: Edmonton vs Winnipeg - Sept. 7 at 7:30 PM PST

Game 7: Vancouver vs Edmonton - Sept. 8 at 2:00 PM PST

Game 8: San Jose vs Calgary - Sept. 8 at 5:30 PM PST

Game 9: Winnipeg vs Vancouver - Sept. 9 at 12:00 PM PST

All Flames games will be broadcast live on CalgaryFlames.com.

Tournament ticket packages, which include a ticket to eight tournament games, are $70 plus applicable fees. Tickets are available online at www.valleyfirsttix.com, by phone at 1-877-763-2849, or in person at the Valley First Box Office at the South Okanagan Events Centre or at Penticton & Wine Country Visitor Centre.
I've never heard of Zach Davies before. Anybody have anything on him beyond his stats on HockeyDB? Also surprised he's there over several other defensive prospects already signed to deals like Breen/Martin etc. Is it an age thing?

BVicious 08-21-2013 01:41 PM

Not sure but this is gonna be great! Can't wait to see these games!!

MarkGio 08-21-2013 01:46 PM

We need to win that Tournament. Edmonton and Winny will be the toughest because they have pretty good prospects in the system, whereas Vancouver and San Jose are just OK.

Flames Fanatic 08-21-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkGio (Post 70396693)
We need to win that Tournament. Edmonton and Winny will be the toughest because they have pretty good prospects in the system, whereas Vancouver and San Jose are just OK.

Winnipeg has some great high profile prospects but the dropoff is incredibly sharp. Edmonton the only high prospect they have eligible is Nurse I believe. Lots of depth guys though.

Anglesmith 08-21-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic (Post 70400647)
Winnipeg has some great high profile prospects but the dropoff is incredibly sharp. Edmonton the only high prospect they have eligible is Nurse I believe. Lots of depth guys though.

Klefbom is considered a top prospect by some. Beyond that, all of their prospects are already in the NHL.

MarkGio 08-21-2013 04:55 PM

Well whatever. I want to see our cupboards legitimately better than everyone else's!

We better win this tourney.

Johnny Hoxville 08-21-2013 05:31 PM

Apparently, we are inviting all the boys in the Pielons family, Mark is a goalie, Matt is a dman, Mike is a forward.

The Hasek comparisons for Mark are real! While Matt has drawn Coffee comparisons and Mikes play has been described as shades of a young Lemieux.

The only player who I think may have brighter career than these 3 is Jankowski, but only because he will play every position.

Seriously, we should be the favourites to win, to bad our college kids won't be suiting up.

Flames Fanatic 08-21-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wflames (Post 70400719)
Klefbom is considered a top prospect by some. Beyond that, all of their prospects are already in the NHL.

:laugh:

I forgot about him

ALI 08-21-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVW (Post 70403011)
Apparently, we are inviting all the boys in the Pielons family, Mark is a goalie, Matt is a dman, Mike is a forward.

The Hasek comparisons for Mark are real! While Matt has drawn Coffee comparisons and Mikes play has been described as shades of a young Lemieux.

The only player who I think may have brighter career than these 3 is Jankowski, but only because he will play every position.

Seriously, we should be the favourites to win, to bad our college kids won't be suiting up.

What?

marbsarebad 08-21-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVW (Post 70403011)
Apparently, we are inviting all the boys in the Pielons family, Mark is a goalie, Matt is a dman, Mike is a forward.

The Hasek comparisons for Mark are real! While Matt has drawn Coffee comparisons and Mikes play has been described as shades of a young Lemieux.

The only player who I think may have brighter career than these 3 is Jankowski, but only because he will play every position.

Seriously, we should be the favourites to win, to bad our college kids won't be suiting up.

I have no idea who any of those people are and I can't even find them on google.

Am I being trolled? :dunno:

ALI 08-21-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marbsarebad (Post 70404833)
I have no idea who any of those people are and I can't even find them on google.

Am I being trolled? :dunno:

ya i know.

TheHudlinator 08-21-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVW (Post 70403011)
Apparently, we are inviting all the boys in the Pielons family, Mark is a goalie, Matt is a dman, Mike is a forward.

The Hasek comparisons for Mark are real! While Matt has drawn Coffee comparisons and Mikes play has been described as shades of a young Lemieux.

The only player who I think may have brighter career than these 3 is Jankowski, but only because he will play every position.

Seriously, we should be the favourites to win, to bad our college kids won't be suiting up.

You're killing me right now :laugh:

Nordberg 08-21-2013 07:05 PM

Yeah somehow I think you guys are being taken for a ride here. :D

MarkGio 08-21-2013 07:23 PM

This is more fun to watch than regular camp because the prospects go against guys their own level, rather than NHL players. Its against NHL drafted prospects, and its a showcase of cupboards.

This year the Flames will finally have a decent pool!

Johnny Hoxville 08-21-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHudlinator (Post 70405545)
You're killing me right now :laugh:

:laugh:

Guys read the Irving thread

bloggerfanthe* 08-21-2013 07:56 PM

Absolutely stoked for this tournament. Heading to Penticton to take in all of the action. Anyone else going?

MonahanTheMan 08-21-2013 11:33 PM

We're not even going to come close to winning this. Our defensive core is just not all there, and missing Gaudreau and Agostino is going to suck.

BVicious 08-21-2013 11:52 PM

Feaster said Kanzig had 7% body fat.

Kanzig > entire tourney.

Anglesmith 08-22-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonahanTheMan (Post 70412419)
We're not even going to come close to winning this. Our defensive core is just not all there, and missing Gaudreau and Agostino is going to suck.

Kanzig is worth at least 5 top-6 defensemen. Wotherspoon will round out the d-corps.

Flames Fanatic 08-22-2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonahanTheMan (Post 70412419)
We're not even going to come close to winning this. Our defensive core is just not all there, and missing Gaudreau and Agostino is going to suck.

I disagree. Will it be the best d core? No. But it's still better than its been in the past decade, and the only team I possibly like better is Edmonton because of Nurse and Klefbom.

marbsarebad 08-22-2013 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic (Post 70413677)
I disagree. Will it be the best d core? No. But it's still better than its been in the past decade, and the only team I possibly like better is Edmonton because of Nurse and Klefbom.

I'm almost feverish with desire for a fight between Kanzig and Nurse. I don't think I've ever disliked a prospect more than Nurse.

HighLifeMan 08-22-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonahanTheMan (Post 70412419)
We're not even going to come close to winning this. Our defensive core is just not all there, and missing Gaudreau and Agostino is going to suck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic (Post 70413677)
I disagree. Will it be the best d core? No. But it's still better than its been in the past decade, and the only team I possibly like better is Edmonton because of Nurse and Klefbom.

I would rank them as following

Forwards
1. Calgary (Baertschi, Monahan, Klimchuk, Poirier, Knight, Granlund, Reinhart)
2. Vancouver (Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Gaunce)
3. Winnipeg (Scheifele, Petan, Lowry, Lodge, Lipon)
4. San Jose (Hertl, Nieto, Boudreau, Tierney, Hayes)
5. Edmonton (Roy, Khaira, Houck, Chase)

Defense
1. Edmonton ( Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat, Musil)
2. Winnipeg (Trouba, Morrissey, Kichton, Kostalek, Sol)
3. Calgary (Wotherspoon, Sieloff, Kanzig, Culkin, Roy, Ramage)
4. San Jose (Mueller, Abeltshauser, DeMelo, Bigos)
5. Vancouver (Corrado, Subban, Tommernes, Cederholm)

Goaltending
1. Vancouver (Eriksson, Lack, Corbeill)
2. Calgary (Brossoit, Ortio)
3. Winnipeg (Comrie, Olkinuora)
4. Edmonton (Bunz, Rimmer, Palazzese)
5. San Jose (Anderson, Grosenick)

In my estimation we have the most talented roster at the tournament even without the additions of Jankowski, Gaudreau, Gillies, Agostino and Arnold. Although it is only three games, so it really won't tell us a whole lot about these organizations prospect pools.

InfinityIggy 08-22-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVW (Post 70403011)
Apparently, we are inviting all the boys in the Pielons family, Mark is a goalie, Matt is a dman, Mike is a forward.

The Hasek comparisons for Mark are real! While Matt has drawn Coffee comparisons and Mikes play has been described as shades of a young Lemieux.

The only player who I think may have brighter career than these 3 is Jankowski, but only because he will play every position.

Seriously, we should be the favourites to win, to bad our college kids won't be suiting up.

I think with Mike Pielon on Jankowski's wing we could see them both put up close to Gretzky numbers.

I heard that Matt was hit by a car at a construction site though, and will be sitting the tourney out.

tmurfin 08-22-2013 03:37 AM

I don't put a whole lot of stock into the tournament, too short of a sample size to see a whole lot, but I'm super pumped just to watch hockey. ****in giver!

Gary83* 08-22-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonahanTheMan (Post 70412419)
We're not even going to come close to winning this. Our defensive core is just not all there, and missing Gaudreau and Agostino is going to suck.

I think you underestimate how dominant Sven will be at this tournament.

I think the dcorps looks decent, more disappointed in the goalies but that's possibly because I'm so high on Gillies.

But I'd love to hear you in depth opinion on who is going to win/be the top teams.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.