HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Surprise players to make the jump this year. Or surprise cuts. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1487827)

Puckclektr 08-21-2013 03:00 PM

Surprise players to make the jump this year. Or surprise cuts.

Which surprise players do you think are going to make your team this year or any other team for that matter? Players that people aren't expecting.
As a devils fan it was urbom a couple of years ago and there is maybe a roster spot open for one of him, Merrill or gelinas this year. But I think that Reid Boucher is given a shot for the first 8-9 games(cant remember how many players are allowed before it counts as year on their status). I'm also thinking they cut josefson to give Reid a chance as they have centre depth and maybe bring josefson up after the 8-9 games, unless he has to clear waivers to go down then they keep him up. I finally think tedenby will be given a chance to play an offensive role as I feel as though he was never given a fair shot.
Anyways. Lets here about your team.

hlaverty06 08-21-2013 03:01 PM

I think Tedenby can surprise if put in top 6 role otherwise I think he's about useless.

Benedict Kovalchuk 08-21-2013 03:02 PM

From the Isles: Nelson and Donovan for sure, Strome sooner or later in the season, but it looks to be this season.

Dellstrom 08-21-2013 03:06 PM

Jared Knight. He missed almost the whole season last year due to a hamstring injury. If he didn't, he probably would have been penciled in by now.

The 3rd line RW spot is gonna be a really tight race between Smith, Fraser, Caron, Knight, and likely quite a few others. Knight fits into the Bruins system so well, sound in all three zones, physical, fearless, a leader... It's only a matter of time before he has a permanent spot on this team for a long time. Might not be insanely talented, but he's a role player. If he's a 2nd/3rd line tweener for all of his career, which he'll likely be, that's fine. He's a role player. It'll be really hard to send him, or any of the other candidates back down to Providence.

I think he'll be the last cut, Fraser will make the opening day lineup in my opinion, but he'll definitely see a few games. He'll likely be the first call-up for injuries.

Arwin 08-21-2013 03:06 PM

Sami Vatanen from Anaheim Ducks

Puckclektr 08-21-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlaverty06 (Post 70399177)
I think Tedenby can surprise if put in top 6 role otherwise I think he's about useless.

i really hope he is thrown in top six to start.

Elias-zajac-Ryder
Tedenby-henrique-jagr(two kinda weak defensive players, one slow)
Clowe-loktionov-zubrus

Then Boucher, josefson, carter Gionta, bernier to battle out the bottom.

Aside from that, I haven't seen a devils offensive lineup with so many line possibilities like this in a Long time. Who knows?

Scottyk9 08-21-2013 03:10 PM

Damon Severson has a outside chance of making the Devils roster.

He would have to hop Urbom/Merrill/Gelinas.

I doubt he makes it but the team is extremely high on him.

Puckclektr 08-21-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arwin (Post 70399331)
Sami Vatanen from Anaheim Ducks

Never heard of this guy. But one of the poolie magazines projects him to have a 35 point season
Does that seem reasonable.

CREW99AW 08-21-2013 03:12 PM

Nelson : 21 yr old Nelson is coming off his rookie ahl season. From Snow's comments, it sounds like Snow is penciling Nelson onto the 3rd line. He will have to crap the bed to lose out on that spot.

19 yr old Strome: will be turning 20, old enough for the ahl. Snow indicated he wants Strome to get 40 or so ahl games, but if he impresses in camp, he may force the isles to keep him up.

Donovan: coming off back to back strong, ahl seasons. He is the front runner to take Mark Streit's spot.

De Haan: coming off another shoulder injury, missed a ton of games last season. He was more poised then Donovan when he did play. Many fans have him headed back to the ahl, but I think De Haan will push Donovan in training camp.

KaossKing 08-21-2013 03:13 PM

Boucher and Merrill could have really good camps and make the cut. If Severson had a stunning summer he could too

CREW99AW 08-21-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benedict Kovalchuk (Post 70399195)
From the Isles: Nelson and Donovan for sure, Strome sooner or later in the season, but it looks to be this season.

Be interesting to see whether Poulin sticks out of camp and I have higher hopes for De Haan , then some Isle fans.

junyab 08-21-2013 03:21 PM

Tinordi will start the season with MTL as an Emelin replacement, but will stay with the team even after he comes back.

Ho Borvat 08-21-2013 03:26 PM

Good chance Frankie Corrado makes the Canucks this year (although I would like to see him in Utica).

Vancouver always has 8 d-men on the big team
Canucks have 6 d-men under contract (assuming Tanev re-signs), and Gilman mentioned they will be looking to sign another d-man (likely Andrew Alberts).

I see Alberts/Weber being #7-8 and Tanev/Corrado being the bottom pairing.

quentez 08-21-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckclektr (Post 70399469)
Never heard of this guy. But one of the poolie magazines projects him to have a 35 point season

Its a best-case scenario if he gets to be PP QB. His offensive potential is undisputed (great shot and puck moving abilities), it's his lack of size and defensive qualities that are the biggest question marks.

Benedict Kovalchuk 08-21-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREW99AW (Post 70399735)
Be interesting to see whether Poulin sticks out of camp and I have higher hopes for De Haan , then some Isle fans.

Between Poulin and Nilsson, I've always been more partial to Nilsson. That said, who knows where Nilsson is at after all that B12 business last season. I'm also not sure what exactly we have in Poulin after Nabby was played almost unceasingly. Didn't it take until April before the Isles won with someone other than Nabby in net last season?

As for De Haan....yeah we'll see. I'm like most Isles fans and rest more hope on Donovan panning out, but De Haan definitely would be the better player if his shoulder can hold up.

a tribe cq 08-21-2013 06:39 PM

There could be alot of options this year, but for me its Danny Kristo for the Rangers.

Especially with Hagelin and Callahan on IR to start, and Asham and Powe with the Wolfpack.

The Hockey Life 08-21-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kack zassian (Post 70399929)
Good chance Frankie Corrado makes the Canucks this year (although I would like to see him in Utica).

Vancouver always has 8 d-men on the big team
Canucks have 6 d-men under contract (assuming Tanev re-signs), and Gilman mentioned they will be looking to sign another d-man (likely Andrew Alberts).

I see Alberts/Weber being #7-8 and Tanev/Corrado being the bottom pairing.

Saw him a couple weeks back as we went to school together. He is training very hard and at the rink everyday. Would be great to see him back on the team come October.

Canadian Canuck 08-21-2013 06:50 PM

Jensen, Gaunce, Lack, Corrado, Shinkaruk or Horvat!

Most likely just Schroeder, Jensen, Lack and Corrado with the rest just playing 9 or so games.

Morry83 08-21-2013 07:03 PM

From Dallas, Brett Ritchie could pull a Jamie Benn and absolutely WOW at training camp and make the team. While I don't think it will happen, I honestly wouldn't be surprised. Although unless he's completely ready, I think it'd be best to keep in the AHL and give him 1st line time with Texas.

Warden of the North 08-21-2013 07:05 PM

Jerry D'Amigo for the Leafs

Bergeron47 08-21-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

I'd look him up then, he was kind of a big deal in Finland.

DuckJet 08-21-2013 07:15 PM

With Souray out I can see Sami Vatanen or Hampus Lindholm possibly earning a spot. Rikard Rakell could make the team as well.

Quote:

Not this year it's not.

McShogun99 08-21-2013 07:16 PM

For the Oilers my 2 surprise players to make the team would be Rajala and Marancin.

My surprise cut would be Smyth.

Zajacs Bowl Cut 08-21-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckclektr (Post 70399375)
i really hope he is thrown in top six to start.

Elias-zajac-Ryder
Tedenby-henrique-jagr(two kinda weak defensive players, one slow)
Clowe-loktionov-zubrus

Then Boucher, josefson, carter Gionta, bernier to battle out the bottom.

Aside from that, I haven't seen a devils offensive lineup with so many line possibilities like this in a Long time. Who knows?

Boucher needs to be in a top 6 role or he is useless essentially.

He isn't ready anyways. We have enough forwards to just let him develop in the A for a year.

as for my choice, Jon Merrill. but I don't think hes quite ready yet.

Leafidelity 08-21-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre (Post 70405583)
Jerry D'Amigo for the Leafs

I'll echo that. I think he takes the final spot; on the third line with Bolland and Kulemin.