HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What are you most excited about seeing this coming season? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1488589)

Danko 08-23-2013 09:42 AM

What are you most excited about seeing this coming season?

I know most of you are in the same boat as me....dying for anything hockey related to happen. Not much news happening right now but with the preseason and camps quickly approaching next month, what are some of things that you are excited about this season?

For example, I cannot wait to see how Mason plays...It would be awesome if he came in and just completely won the starting goalie gig.

flyershockey 08-23-2013 09:47 AM

The progression of the young players will be key to see if this team has a core in place that could compete for the cup in the future.

paradoxium 08-23-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyershockey (Post 70451371)
The progression of the young players will be key to see if this team has a core in place that could compete for the cup in the future.

This.

Hopefully Couturier and Schenn progress this season. It's important if this team wants to compete in the long run.

Danko 08-23-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paradoxium (Post 70451497)
This.

Hopefully Couturier and Schenn progress this season. It's important if this team wants to compete in the long run.

I really want to see Schenn start showing more as well, when we got him he was concenscious best player not in the nhl...I'd like to see him start moving towards superstar status. I know he's still young but hoping he in particular lives up to the hype soon.

Couturier needs a bounce back year for sure

FreshPerspective 08-23-2013 09:56 AM

I'm looking forward to Couturier and B Schenn taking the next big steps in their careers.

I also think the Flyers will have good chemistry as a team and could carry Lavi through the regular season into the playoffs but I still think that even if Lavi survives the whole regular season and isn't canned by Christmas as some of us are predicting....I'm still not so sure he'll have success in the playoffs with his system against tighter checking if it's the same ole same ole from him.

He's got a better roster to implement his system this season (provided there are no major injuries) but I'm still not sold on him and would have liked the Flyers to have canned him this past offseason since there were some good coaching candidates looking for work but they couldn't since Holmgren was at fault too.

As far as the goalies..not holding my breath but hoping one of them at least takes the bull by the horns and performs as a legit starting goalie that can win games on his own if need be...

dingbathero 08-23-2013 09:57 AM

Our first shutout or a FULL 60 mins played.

FreshPerspective 08-23-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingbathero (Post 70451709)
Our first shutout or a FULL 60 mins played.

Yes..I want to see much more consistency this year. I do not want to hear the "we have to play 60 mins" lamentations or at least not as often. The season has its ebbs and flows but the slow starts to the season or in games for that matter has to be limited ..otherwise Lavi is definitely gone.

Danko 08-23-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingbathero (Post 70451709)
Our first shutout

Yeah, would love to see a shutout. How many have we had compared to the rest of the leage over the past two years?

dingbathero 08-23-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevindank (Post 70451983)
Yeah, would love to see a shutout. How many have we had compared to the rest of the leage over the past two years?

Since 09-10 we've had 10 from my count.... Span of 294 games... unless my mathz are bad.

Flyotes 08-23-2013 10:31 AM

I am excited about either Schenn or Couts having a breakout year. If that happens, this team gets a lot stronger quickly.

RJ8812* 08-23-2013 10:32 AM

I'm looking forward to not seeing Bryzgalov with this team

FreshPerspective 08-23-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 70452615)
I'm looking forward to not seeing Bryzgalov with this team

Yeah I'm glad the Flyers cancelled that soap opera...:shakehead

Flyerfan4life 08-23-2013 10:47 AM

another season leading to a stanley cup push..

just plain flat out love Flyers hockey..

im READY.

oh if i had to add a most concerned: its def. Lavis inability to adjust/change on the fly.

im bracing for him to implode and be gone by Xmas, but i really dont want that scenario to happen.

flyersfan018 08-23-2013 11:05 AM

Besides everything, I'm gonna say the newcomers: Lecavalier, Streit, and Emery.

RJ8812* 08-23-2013 11:32 AM

I'm not really excited about Streit because I think he'll be the scapegoat this season when we find out he isnt worth his contract

I hope i'm wrong though

CanadianFlyer88 08-23-2013 11:39 AM

I'm most excited to see what Jake will do this year.

I'm most concerned about goaltending; I'm as concerned as I was the first time the Flyers signed Emery. :laugh: I have no confidence in Mason and I hope he porves me wrong.

kammy 08-23-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyersfan018 (Post 70453465)
Besides everything, I'm gonna say the newcomers: Lecavalier, Streit, and Emery.

Def Lecavalier for me!

Bravo Homer!
:handclap:

Stizzle 08-23-2013 12:25 PM

Call me crazy, but I think this team should be really good (If Mason plays well). Overall I'm pretty excited about every guy on the team, except Rosehill and Gervais.

Hiesenberg 08-23-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life (Post 70453023)
another season leading to a stanley cup push..

just plain flat out love Flyers hockey..

im READY.

oh if i had to add a most concerned: its def. Lavis inability to adjust/change on the fly.

im bracing for him to implode and be gone by Xmas, but i really dont want that scenario to happen.

Lavi is the 2nd winningest US coach of all time I believe, he has a cup championship, a cup trip.

The INABILITY to adjust/change seems to be a complete misnomer, because if he did, I don't think he'd have a job as long as he has in his career.

FreshPerspective 08-23-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiesenberg (Post 70456325)
Lavi is the 2nd winningest US coach of all time I believe, he has a cup championship, a cup trip.

The INABILITY to adjust/change seems to be a complete misnomer, because if he did, I don't think he'd have a job as long as he has in his career.

Lavi is a good coach and his system when totally bought into is fun to play as a player and fun to watch as a fan..particularly in the regular season. However, his recent history since the cup victory and cup appearance..the latter which happened by the skin of his teeth and thanks to Montreal has not exactly been steller. He got totally schooled by Boston the year they won the cup and schooled by the Devils after barely getting through Buffalo which he almost botched as well with his goaltending decisions. Moreover, his teams have still not done too well against tight checking teams in the regular season or playoffs in general. Finally, there is a reason he is known as a short shelf life coach..ask Brind'amour who basically ran him out of Carolina despite the Cup accomplishment they shared together....

Flyerss 08-23-2013 12:42 PM

seeing our new toys

DrinkFightFlyers 08-23-2013 12:49 PM

A full season of hockey! But really just seeing what the lineup looks like opening day. Surprises making the lineup, surprises not making the lineup. Crap like that. Where will Mez wind up (press box? traded? starting?)? Is Laughton going to move to wing? If not, who is going to play third line wing? LET'S DROP THE PUCK ALREADY!

Hiesenberg 08-23-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt (Post 70456701)
Lavi is a good coach and his system when totally bought into is fun to play as a player and fun to watch as a fan..particularly in the regular season. However, his recent history since the cup victory and cup appearance..the latter which happened by the skin of his teeth and thanks to Montreal has not exactly been steller. He got totally schooled by Boston the year they won the cup and schooled by the Devils after barely getting through Buffalo which he almost botched as well with his goaltending decisions. Moreover, his teams have still not done too well against tight checking teams in the regular season or playoffs in general. Finally, there is a reason he is known as a short shelf life coach..ask Brind'amour who basically ran him out of Carolina despite the Cup accomplishment they shared together....

I agree with everything you said. I don't think he's perfect, but I think he's better than a lot out there.

However, I counter with this, you said he got schooled by Boston (who won the cup) and by NJ (who went to the cup, 2 games away from winning and might have won if LA wasn't such a buzz-saw). Those teams were the best. Its not like he lost against the Islanders first time in the POs while the Flyers were the #1 seed. The Bruins & Devils those years were machines.

Hiesenberg 08-23-2013 12:58 PM

To answer the question, I'm just excited for the overall product. First time getting season tickets, I'm going to at least 5 games (I split them up) and will probably add a couple of more during the season. I think this is going to be a good team. I like what Holmgren did (and didn't do)

FreshPerspective 08-23-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiesenberg (Post 70457269)
I agree with everything you said. I don't think he's perfect, but I think he's better than a lot out there.

However, I counter with this, you said he got schooled by Boston (who won the cup) and by NJ (who went to the cup, 2 games away from winning and might have won if LA wasn't such a buzz-saw). Those teams were the best. Its not like he lost against the Islanders first time in the POs while the Flyers were the #1 seed. The Bruins & Devils those years were machines.

Yeah they were machines but seriously he was stubborn with his decisions..he refused to adjust. He had no answers in many respects. Also as I noted against Buffalo he wasn't exactly great either. Almost got ousted in the 1st round before even running into the Devils which the team admitted they were not prepared for...