HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   McKenzies Top 30 Draft Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=148879)

Matt13 06-30-2005 03:19 PM

McKenzies Top 30 Draft Prospects

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=7329

While Sidney Crosby is everybodys dream draft pick......

Jack Johnson is sure to go second. Thinking about him and Gleason in a couple years patroling the Kings Blueline is giving me wood. Although Sid is stealing all the limelight it seems that there is still plenty of talent its just Sid is so good it over shadows the rest.

AnThGrt 06-30-2005 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt13
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=7329

While Sidney Crosby is everybodys dream draft pick......

Jack Johnson is sure to go second. Thinking about him and Gleason in a couple years patroling the Kings Blueline is giving me wood. Although Sid is stealing all the limelight it seems that there is still plenty of talent its just Sid is so good it over shadows the rest.

As i have said several times i dont even care about getting Sydney as long as we have a top 10 pick. The top 10 are all very high end talent this is a pretty good draft first round. Only question is lets say we get a top ten like 6th overal thats a little high to pick a golie yet isnt that what everyone wants to see? Another interesting fact is how much Rask dropped in his rating he used to be above Price and on these boards is thought of higher and better so if we pick a golie which one? // No offense yet Johnson sounds amazing but nothing against Gleason i would get "wood" seeing them together Gleason is good but i think he is going to be idealy 3rd defenseman our best hopes still lay with Grebs though he has a lot to prove

Reaper45 06-30-2005 10:09 PM

Outsde of everyone wanting Crosby, who would fit in the best with our team plans? We need a center, a d-man, maybe a left wing.....

So ideally who does everyone want outside of Crosby?

Legionnaire 06-30-2005 10:36 PM

C-Benoit Pouilot or Anze Kopitar Ryan O'Marra
D-Johnson(obviously) Marc Staal Matt Niskanen Risto Korhonen
LW- Jack Skille, Kendel McCardle Matin Hanzel Patrick Davis

G-Carey Price or Tukka Rask

I left out Brule, because I'm pretty sure he'll end up converted to RW.

Now, I'm not a big fan of drafting goalies in the first round, but this year, I think is the exception. There isn't a great deal of depth in our two greatest needs, C and D, so I say we go with one of the young phenoms in net.

King'sPawn 07-01-2005 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legionnaire
C-Benoit Pouilot or Anze Kopitar Ryan O'Marra
D-Johnson(obviously) Marc Staal Matt Niskanen Risto Korhonen
LW- Jack Skille, Kendel McCardle Matin Hanzel Patrick Davis

G-Carey Price or Tukka Rask

I left out Brule, because I'm pretty sure he'll end up converted to RW.

Now, I'm not a big fan of drafting goalies in the first round, but this year, I think is the exception. There isn't a great deal of depth in our two greatest needs, C and D, so I say we go with one of the young phenoms in net.

It's amazing, these are the guys I was hoping we would draft, as well. I think I put a few of them on my wish list a few months ago, and it's cool they're all moving up (except for Rask).

I'd add Trukhno to the LWers list. He made a good transition to the QMJHL as an import from Russia. He's ranked 26th by McKeens, right behind McArdle. A blurb from a scout: "While he still isn't the perfect linemate, he has proven to be more multi-dimensional than expected. Very elusive skater, great speed, highly-accomplished stickhandler, this guy's fun to watch and easy to like."

Also, as a 3rd-5th rounder, I'm hoping we can nab Justin Abdelkader. Someone who works for McKeens sent me impressions on him. He asked me not to share them, but he sounds like he could be a steal if he drops to the 4th round or so. He's currently ranked 62nd by McKeens, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him be ranked higher by the next time the rankings are out.

jt 07-01-2005 10:04 AM

I would never ever ever take a goalie in the 6-15 range. Once you get out of the top 5, the odds of getting a good goalie prospect are as good at 22 (Ouellet) and 27 (Ahonen) as they are at 6 (Finley) and 15 (Chouinard). In fact, look at the 2nd round and there's some just as good as ones taken from 6-15: Sauve (38), Auld (40), Lajeunesse (48), Lasak (65), Bryzgalov (44) and Ellis (60).

Bottom line is that unless you have a top 5 pick (but more likely a top 3 pick) you always, always, ALWAYS take the best player available. It's going to be AT LEAST two years but more likely 3-5 years before the guy's going to make an impact and who the heck knows what the team's needs are going to be then?

Legionnaire 07-01-2005 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jt
I would never ever ever take a goalie in the 6-15 range. Once you get out of the top 5, the odds of getting a good goalie prospect are as good at 22 (Ouellet) and 27 (Ahonen) as they are at 6 (Finley) and 15 (Chouinard). In fact, look at the 2nd round and there's some just as good as ones taken from 6-15: Sauve (38), Auld (40), Lajeunesse (48), Lasak (65), Bryzgalov (44) and Ellis (60).

Bottom line is that unless you have a top 5 pick (but more likely a top 3 pick) you always, always, ALWAYS take the best player available. It's going to be AT LEAST two years but more likely 3-5 years before the guy's going to make an impact and who the heck knows what the team's needs are going to be then?

Which in this case I would say that both of the goalies ARE top five to seven in talent.

jt 07-01-2005 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Which in this case I would say that both of the goalies ARE top five to seven in talent.

IMO, it's top 5 or not top 5. I'm just not impressed with goalies taken 6-15 compared to goalies taken after 15...they're just not significantly better when all is said and done.

If those guys are top 5, great...they should go in the top 5. But if the Kings get the #6 pick then they shouldn't take a goalie because the odds of getting a good one there are about the same as getting one in the 2nd round.

Legionnaire 07-01-2005 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jt
IMO, it's top 5 or not top 5. I'm just not impressed with goalies taken 6-15 compared to goalies taken after 15...they're just not significantly better when all is said and done.

If those guys are top 5, great...they should go in the top 5. But if the Kings get the #6 pick then they shouldn't take a goalie because the odds of getting a good one there are about the same as getting one in the 2nd round.

But wait a second, didn't you just say that we should take the best player available? What if it IS a goalie?

jt 07-01-2005 03:02 PM

Any goalie who isn't in the top 5 isn't "the best player available".

It's a basic axiom of scouting and is on page 37 of the manual. I can't help it if I'm the only one who's read the whole manual.

Sorry I can't provide a link and yes, I know kj will have to close my post.

Mindcircus 07-01-2005 06:21 PM

When will the draft be and how will they decide who picks where? I'm kind of out of the loop, sorry.

Matt13 07-01-2005 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindcircus
When will the draft be and how will they decide who picks where? I'm kind of out of the loop, sorry.

TBD

Mindcircus 07-01-2005 10:02 PM

Thanks.

KINGLEWOOD 07-01-2005 11:17 PM

Out side of Crosby I would be happy with any of the following players,

Benoit Pouliot: Explosive left wing with extreme upside.

Gilbert Brule: Sounds like the type of player who would fit well in the system.

Jack Johnson: He would be a great compliment to Grebeshkov and Gleason.

Anze Kopitar: 6'2 Center with top skills, I could see this guy playing with Frolov!

Bobby Ryan: How about him and Brown crashing the net and grinding in the corners?

Ryan O'Marra: He too would be a nice fit for our system.

Marc Staal: 2nd best Defenceman in the draft.

Tadite 07-02-2005 08:35 PM

Besides Crosby how many of these kids has anyone of us actually seen?

Did any of the others come to the prospect camps?

jfont 07-13-2005 03:27 PM

Rumor on how the draft lotery will be structured - got this from the business board

Each team starts with 3 balls.

Eah playoff appearance in last 3 yrs = lose 1 ball.

Minus 1 ball for any #1 pick in last 4 years (FLA's pick traded counts vs. FLA).

Minimum 1 ball per team.

7 round snake draft.(i don't know what this means)

Next Thursday, Jul. 21.

Reaper45 07-13-2005 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfont
Each team starts with 3 balls.

Eah playoff appearance in last 3 yrs = lose 1 ball.

Minus 1 ball for any #1 pick in last 4 years (FLA's pick traded counts vs. FLA).

Minimum 1 ball per team.

7 round snake draft.(i don't know what this means)

Next Thursday, Jul. 21.

Snake draft is simple, if you have the 1st pick of the 1st round, you wont pick again until the last pick of the 2nd round, then the first pick in the 3rd round, and so on.

jfont 07-13-2005 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45
Snake draft is simple, if you have the 1st pick of the 1st round, you wont pick again until the last pick of the 2nd round, then the first pick in the 3rd round, and so on.

got it...kinda like my fantasy football draft...

Reaper45 07-13-2005 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfont
got it...kinda like my fantasy football draft...

Yeah.

jfont 07-13-2005 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45
Yeah.

thanks

Captain Ron 07-13-2005 03:52 PM

I kind of feel sorry for the 30th team picked because you already know when the 29th ball is chosen that you are last. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I guess having the 31st is some consolation. :p: