HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   In-season training (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1489649)

ConoR187 08-26-2013 10:00 AM

In-season training
 
This summer i've been doing a routine around heavy compound lifts (DL, Squat, Bench, etc.) but I know I can not continue this once tryouts start, due to the fact that I wont have as much energy for the ice. Also, when I'm sore from squats or deads I tend to hunch forward more or have bad skating posture, due to soreness, and that sometimes leads to discomfort/bad performance. I would like to continue doing these lifts, but I know I may have to sacrifice one or two to not over work myself.

Anyone have any routines to share that they follow during the season? I practice on Wednesdays, with games on Friday and Saturday.

sanityplease 08-26-2013 10:50 AM

This is a bit older, but very informative & still relevant. Gives you some guidelines to customize your own program. My yearly cycle has been very similar to this for years.

http://performancetrainingsystems.ne...0-%20Final.pdf

ConoR187 08-26-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanityplease (Post 70525123)
This is a bit older, but very informative & still relevant. Gives you some guidelines to customize your own program. My yearly cycle has been very similar to this for years.

http://performancetrainingsystems.ne...0-%20Final.pdf

can you give me a tl;dr of this?

Beville 08-27-2013 05:42 AM

From what I've learnt/been taught (incl. IIHF OPM) the best thing to do over a yearly cycle is this...

Go big in the off-season and MAINTAIN that during the season... E.g. you squat 100kg at the end of the off season, instead of trying to improve you want to make sure you can still squat 100kg.

sanityplease 08-27-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConoR187 (Post 70537851)
can you give me a tl;dr of this?

lol, o.k. The in-season section is only two pages long.

Go to page 7 (part of the paper that deals with in-season training)

Customize table 7 to fit your playing/practicing schedule. If you have other questions, look @ tables 8,9 & 10 or read pages 7 & 8.

ConoR187 08-27-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beville (Post 70551201)
From what I've learnt/been taught (incl. IIHF OPM) the best thing to do over a yearly cycle is this...

Go big in the off-season and MAINTAIN that during the season... E.g. you squat 100kg at the end of the off season, instead of trying to improve you want to make sure you can still squat 100kg.

right.. but do i still need to lift heavy 3 days a week for lower body if im in season? thats what my concern and basis for questions is because i never changed routines last year and i would often play sore/fatigued

Beville 08-27-2013 12:29 PM

Yeah, still lift at your heavy weight(s) but don't look to improve/add weight.

sanityplease 08-27-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConoR187 (Post 70557617)
right.. but do i still need to lift heavy 3 days a week for lower body if im in season? thats what my concern and basis for questions is because i never changed routines last year and i would often play sore/fatigued

For your in-season phase, I'd lift once a week if you're on the ice 3 days a week (with the goal to maintain strength levels) & introduce a weekly plyo routine.

Your in-season priority is muscle strength, power, and endurance maintenance & injury prevention.

ConoR187 08-27-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanityplease (Post 70560215)
For your in-season phase, I'd lift once a week if you're on the ice 3 days a week (with the goal to maintain strength levels) & introduce a weekly plyo routine.

Your in-season priority is muscle strength, power, and endurance maintenance & injury prevention.

thanks for the help guys...

when you say once a week i assume you mean compound lower body movements (squat/dl/front squat), would lifting upper body regularly really have any effect?


also anyone have any experience lifting and playing on the same day? due to college schedule i might have to lift on practice days


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.