HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Blast from the past (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=148969)

SingnBluesOnBroadway 07-01-2005 10:05 AM

Blast from the past

There are some real beauts in this:

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/fanzon...ger=Sather2000

GentlemanOfLeisure 07-01-2005 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
There are some real beauts in this:

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/fanzon...ger=Sather2000

Offensive win's championships??? not defense?? :eek:

Boy I feel sorry for you guys. The last time i felt sorry for a team like the Rangers because of thier awful management was back in the mid nineties when i felt sorry for the Jets hiring Rich Kotite.

007 07-01-2005 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machoking2003-04
Offensive win's championships??? not defense?? :eek:

Boy I feel sorry for you guys. The last time i felt sorry for a team like the Rangers because of thier awful management was back in the mid nineties when i felt sorry for the Jets hiring Rich Kotite.

In and of itself, I don't disagree. Offence does win championships. So does defence, though. Glen somehow was of the opinion that offence without defence could win championships.

Boy has it been a tough few years to be a Rangers fan . . .

Fletch 07-01-2005 11:07 AM

The pain...

in reading this is unbearable. I'm glad I didn't see that prior to him joining, as I would've been jaded negatively from day 1.

Love this quote, and it's nearly all that's been wrong with Sather's tenure: ' Our strategy is to try to win the Stanley Cup this year and rebuild at the same time.' Yeah...take over a falling team out of the playoffs and turn them around into a Stanley Cup contender while rebuilding at the same time. What a freakin' retard. Now I really wish he were gone.

And offense in a sense does win championships - you need to score more goals than the other guy. But, these aren't the days of 6-5 shootouts. You have to have a semblance of defense and cannot sacrafice defense at the expense of offense - there needs to be a balance. He clearly decided he wanted to have a goalie hung to dry and try to outscore each team in a shootout, not realizing the league has changed.

True Blue 07-01-2005 11:19 AM

Why, why, WHY must you subject us to this, Singin'? And to think, that this clown is STILL running the show. Amazing.

Anthony Mauro 07-01-2005 11:46 AM

HAHAHAHAHA...We drafted Novak in the first round.

Quote:

Hockeyman16: How's training camp going? Any surprises?
Glen Sather: Training camp has gone very well. All of the players reported in terrific shape. They are very enthusiastic. The biggest surprise for me has been Filip Novak that we drafted in the first round this year. He has been excellent. I am happy with all the players. They have looked very competitive and serious.
Buffoon from Banff, what, was he eating ice cream and had a brain freeze? We didnt have a first that year, and we even made a move.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 07-01-2005 11:47 AM

My favs:

I don't think there is an awful lot of difference other than the opportunity to acquire free agents.

He's the guy I picked to run the team. I know Ron Low very well and I know all the coaching staff very well. They get along and they are all on the same page. I think they are going to do a great job

It is still early in training camp, but I believe there is enough depth in the organization that I think we are going to be able to field four very strong lines.

Brooklyn Ranger 07-01-2005 06:00 PM

You have way too much time on your hands Singin'!!!! :cry:

klingsor 07-02-2005 01:10 PM

Lest we forget:

"If I had the Rangers' budget, I'd never lose a game." Edmonton GM Glen Sather

Son of Steinbrenner 07-02-2005 01:36 PM

The good news is it appears Sather has learned from his past mistakes. This team is in full rebuilding mode right now. Should Sather be running the ship still? No way but he is and the Rangers staff around him is pretty good with Maloney Renny and Sathers son (ok just kidding about the last guy ;) )

This is going to be a fun summer for us Rangers fans. Although i don't think we will be celebrating a playoff berth next April i do think we will enjoy watching a youthful team all season.

True Blue 07-02-2005 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
This is going to be a fun summer for us Rangers fans. Although i don't think we will be celebrating a playoff berth next April i do think we will enjoy watching a youthful team all season.

I do not care about wins and losses. For me the most important thing is to have a plan and proceed along with that plan. If you are rebuilding, then rebuild. I want to see younger players get a shot if they deserve it. Not just handing over a spot to the next Ulanov or Karpa. But Sather MUST stick to the rebuilding plan. He should not be deviating one iota from that plan.
Sorry, boys and girls, but I have zero confidence in him in that aspect.

Fletch 07-02-2005 06:13 PM

SoS...

watching a youthful team has its pitfalls. You like to see progress, if you do not see wins and losses. Come April and we see that there hasn't been progression, we'd all be pretty down. I'm glad I didn't get a chance to watch Lundmark and Balej grow last season - it was frustrating enough seeing them on the scoresheets.

ATLANTARANGER* 07-04-2005 10:50 AM

Hey, come on, you don't care about wins and losses!

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
I do not care about wins and losses. For me the most important thing is to have a plan and proceed along with that plan. If you are rebuilding, then rebuild. I want to see younger players get a shot if they deserve it. Not just handing over a spot to the next Ulanov or Karpa. But Sather MUST stick to the rebuilding plan. He should not be deviating one iota from that plan.
Sorry, boys and girls, but I have zero confidence in him in that aspect.

Wasn't it you that pined for one lousy 8th place finish? The you say that all you care about is a plan. And you say I don't make sense?

ATLANTARANGER* 07-04-2005 10:52 AM

The moment he signe Low as coach I satrted to have

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
My favs:

I don't think there is an awful lot of difference other than the opportunity to acquire free agents.

He's the guy I picked to run the team. I know Ron Low very well and I know all the coaching staff very well. They get along and they are all on the same page. I think they are going to do a great job

It is still early in training camp, but I believe there is enough depth in the organization that I think we are going to be able to field four very strong lines.

reservations. Can anybody say the english speaking version of Jean-Guy Talbot?

Barnaby 07-04-2005 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
Wasn't it you that pined for one lousy 8th place finish? The you say that all you care about is a plan. And you say I don't make sense?

When there are no playoffs or plan for the future... that makes complete sense. Had the Rangers made the playoffs the last 3 years, then at least we'd have had something. If we had some studs coming up, then at least we'd have a plan and a good future. Right now we have have a mediocre group of prospects and havent made the playoffs since God knows when.

True Blue 07-04-2005 03:20 PM

Quote:

No, I was not pining for 8th place. I stated that since Sather was not the slightest bit interested in rebuilding or assembling prospects, then that must mean that the playoffs were his goal. For 4 years of GMing that way, to have the highest payroll in the league every year, not to even manage to sneak into the 8th place just one year is simply embarassing. Unless off course, you are going to tell us that he was really rebuilding and are prepared to show off the cache of prospects that a team that has missed the playoffs for all of these years should have.

Trottier 07-04-2005 04:01 PM

Quote:

Can anybody say the english speaking version of Jean-Guy Talbot?

At least Low didn't wear a warmup suit on the bench. ;) (Obscure satorial reference for those not old enough to remember.)