HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Other: Why has free agent signings been so quiet lately? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1489773)

GrindNMuck 08-26-2013 02:18 PM

Why has free agent signings been so quiet lately?

Since the beginning of August, There has been barely no signings at all. They're still tons of talent on the market like Brunner, Cleary, Bryz, Tim Thomas, Ian White, Ryan Whitney, Morrow, Etc.

-A lot of these guys can make a pretty big impact for some teams, Why have they been waiting on the market for so long? We are heading into September..

Henkka 08-26-2013 02:27 PM

1. Salary cap went down.

2. Teams who'll try to win, are against the cap.

3. Teams who'll try to tank, don't want to get any better.

tucker3434 08-26-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henkka (Post 70531867)
1. Salary cap went down.

I'd say that a little differently. A lot of teams in the lower half of the league are trying to rebuild and develop their youth while also not spending unnecessarily. They'd rather give a young guy a shot than sign an aging complementary player.

Other than that, I agree. The teams that are trying to add that final piece for a cup run just don't have as much space this year.

alpine4life 08-26-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

1. Salary cap went down.

I'd add:

4. some teams have an internal cap to respect which limits the $$$ a team will spend (IE: OTT, NAS...etc...)

deckercky 08-26-2013 02:39 PM

The other thing is that there hasn't really been any kind of deadline upcoming. As we approach training camp, there'll be some more signings and as rosters shake out, there'll be a few more.

UsernameWasTaken 08-26-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

1. Salary cap went down.

I'd say that it's more that the team who'll try to win are against the cap and that, as far as the weak teams go, the remaining free agents probably wouldn't make a huge difference to their team.

I'm sure if guys are willing to take 1 years deals for about $1m then more would find a spot...

Gentle Ben Kenobi 08-26-2013 02:44 PM

Nobody has any money

PG Canuck 08-26-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

1. Salary cap went down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpine4life (Post 70532277)
I'd add:

4. some teams have an internal cap to respect which limits the $$$ a team will spend (IE: OTT, NAS...etc...)

5. Some Free Agents may still be asking for too much money, so no team is biting. For example, apparently Raymond was/is looking for ~3M.

McDonald19 08-26-2013 02:48 PM

We should start seeing some veteran UFA training camp invites soon.

Ezpz 08-26-2013 02:50 PM

Perhaps the people who aren't signed aren't as good as you think they are.

Carolina are the only team that don't have a full roster. 6 teams are over the cap. Another 10 have less than 3 mil cap space. Of the ones with more cap space half have key RFAs to re-sign still and the other half have internal budgets. In all likelihood the guys who actually have offers are asking for more than teams can afford and will sign mid training camp at a very reduced salary. I think Calgary and Buffalo are the only teams right now that can afford to add a 3-4 mil cap hit player.

KingsFan7824 08-26-2013 02:51 PM

Look around the league. You can probably list at least the 12 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 2 goalies for every team. Throw in a couple healthy scratches, a few prospects, and there you go.

StuckOutHere 08-26-2013 02:54 PM

It's August. Signings won't pick up until training camp when we see players showing up on invites and the like.

IranCondraAffair 08-26-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

1. Salary cap went down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpine4life (Post 70532277)
I'd add:

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG Canuck (Post 70532559)
5. Some Free Agents may still be asking for too much money, so no team is biting. For example, apparently Raymond was/is looking for ~3M.

6. Some of the available cap space is misleading because some major RFAs are unsigned: Pietrangelo, Cowen, Hodgson, Kadri, Franson, Johansson, Boedker, Stepan, etc..

7. Some players are waiting for others to sign first. For instance, now that Grabovski is off the market, the next best offensive centr might sign by whoever else was pursuing Grabo but missed out.

AirheadPete 08-26-2013 03:34 PM

im pretty surprised as well that a lot of the guys still available haven't been snatched up. I find it hard to believe a good chunk cant find an NHL home by the time the season commences.

Henkka 08-26-2013 03:42 PM

Also when the training camps will start, injuries will start to happen and LTIR usage opens some space for the open market. Just like Fistric got a job, it needed the Souray injury.

joestevens29 08-26-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrindNMuck (Post 70531539)
Since the beginning of August, There has been barely no signings at all. They're still tons of talent on the market like Brunner, Cleary, Bryz, Tim Thomas, Ian White, Ryan Whitney, Morrow, Etc.

-A lot of these guys can make a pretty big impact for some teams, Why have they been waiting on the market for so long? We are heading into September..

Not sure how much impact any of those guys can really have outside of the goalies who maybe stand on their head and play lights out, but for the most part it's all depth left. Teams pretty much have their rosters finished and generally don't make too many moves this late in the off-season. Like the one poster said if someone gets injured then ya maybe you see another guy get picked up, but for now this is pretty much what we should expect.

Maybe PHI signs someone closer to TC when they know how long Giroux is out, but even then it's a bit of a stretch.

allan5oh 08-26-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

1. Salary cap went down.

#2 isn't really true, there's still space due to LTIR and bonus cushion.

nmbr_24 08-26-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrindNMuck (Post 70531539)

Brunner is the only guy on that list that I would have interest in. Who exactly could make a big impact? Tim Thomas was starting to slow down his last year and he hasn't played in a year and a half, Bryzgalov? I don't think so, not in a good way anyhow. Whitney and Morrow seem like they are just about done, Cleary might make a small impact as a 4th liner somewhere and White might fit somewhere as a bottom pairing guy.

I don't see anything there to get excited about, those guys are not the same players they were a few years ago.

TylerSVT* 08-26-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh (Post 70535481)
#2 isn't really true, there's still space due to LTIR and bonus cushion.

So its a good idea to spend right to the cap?

ok then. :help:

guyzeur 08-26-2013 04:43 PM

after every CBA negociation is the same thing. Teams are up to the cap and don't want to sign older players. League is getting younger after a new CBA as a ripple effect.

Seth Rollins 08-26-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerSVT (Post 70536155)
So its a good idea to spend right to the cap?

ok then. :help:

Why wouldn't it be?

ddawg1950 08-26-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG Canuck (Post 70532559)

Remarkable how similar my situation is to Raymond's.

We're both looking for $3 million and no one is interested in giving it to us.

JuniorNelson 08-26-2013 05:56 PM

A lot of these guys had inflated salaries and now cannot accept real market value. So, a guy like Gagne who is used to getting millions a year ($3.5m) won't sign for seven hundred and fifty thousand and hustle his ass off on somebody's third line.

Other guys have other things going on. Bryzgalov and Thomas might be playing for the KHL (does Dynamo care if Thomas supports conventional marriage?). Brunner might go back to the Swiss league (a gold helmet!!!).

Some guys are done and can't admit it.

The useful are signed, what remains is the chaff and deadweight. Leftovers.

Hawkaholic 08-26-2013 06:19 PM

Asking too much money, GMs know those players will accept lesser money as the season nears, or will accept a PTO on a contender for a chance to revitalize their career or last chance to win a cup.

cptjeff 08-26-2013 06:24 PM

If they had done a rollback instead of taking money back through escrow, teams would have a more flexibility and be able to sign guys like this. Reap what you sew and all that.