HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   MacT vs Tambellini (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1490233)

MeestaDeteta 08-27-2013 02:24 PM

MacT vs Tambellini
 
Granted, MacT hasn't been in the GM role that long yet, but from what we've seen so far, what are the biggest differences between MacT's style, approach, etc. compared to Tambellini's?

McRib 08-27-2013 02:27 PM

MacT does stuff.

Beerfish 08-27-2013 02:29 PM

MacT made the big gutsy trade for Perron. MacT traded down a ton.
Other than that one can't judge it just yet. Tambo signed a boat load of 3rd/4th line and roll players. Most of them did not work. We'll see if MacT's signings turn out better.

Ol' Jase 08-27-2013 02:30 PM

MacT.gif>>>>Tambo.jpeg

Turrican* 08-27-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoobs (Post 70562155)
MacT does stuff.

This.

okgooil 08-27-2013 02:33 PM

I don't want to bash Tambo, reality is he was given a job of rebuilding and he did just that. However, I really think Mac T is the guy to get this team to the next level. I can't imagine that Tambo would have pulled of the Perron trade for example.

Aerchon 08-27-2013 02:38 PM

To be honest as things stand right now there is very little difference between the two.

Right now we are just hoping Mac T's moves turn out well.

Neither has addressed size or grit.

Neither has (as of yet) improved the team in any significant way.

MeestaDeteta 08-27-2013 02:53 PM

One thing that Tambellini seemed to get hung up on a lot was "asset management". Keeping players past their expiry date, seeimingly at times, for the sake of not allowing a player to walk away without something in return.

MacT on the other hand doesn't seem as hung up on this, as he allowed several RFAs to walk away as UFAs by not qualifying them.

belair 08-27-2013 02:55 PM

Let's watch more than 8 games before we pop up the assessment threads...

MeestaDeteta 08-27-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belair (Post 70563123)
Let's watch more than 8 games before we pop up the assessment threads...

This wasn't really an assessment thread, but moreso, trying to compare their approach, strategies, management style, etc.

Jimmi Jenkins 08-27-2013 03:52 PM

Mac-T Traded Horcoff for SOMETHING. Wins, everytime.

Paralyzer008 08-27-2013 03:58 PM

Guys that Tambo targeted:
MacIntyre
Kotalik
O'Sullivan
Comrie
Whitney
Jones
Vandermeer
Foster
Heatley
Khabibulin
J. Schultz
Barker
Potter
Belanger
Eager
Sutton
N. Schultz
Smithson
Bishop

Guys MacT targeted:
Clarkson
Schneider
Coburn
Raanta
Ference
Perron
Belov
Grebeshkov
Larsen
Gordon
Joensuu
Miller
Acton
LaBarbera

For me, the difference between the two is that Tambellini would go for potential and character, whereas MacT has gone for winning mentality and lottery tickets.

I find that where both MacT and Tambellini (and Lowe) don't necessarily do enough is in the hockey sense department. Under Lowe's presidency, we see a lot of "grit with character" or "awesome hands" guys, but we rarely see guys with just pure hockey sense attached to their names.

But for the record: Potential and character seems to be a fail, whereas winning mentality and lottery tickets has helped teams get closer to the cup (although Edmonton is still severely lacking ability to get role players through the draft, a possible downfall)

Usual_Suspect 08-27-2013 04:27 PM

Omark has a preference.

@dohfOs
Reason why Omark decided to come back to the #Oilers is simple. It's spelled MacTavish.

@dohfOs
@Alex_Thomas14 Omark always liked Edmonton. He never really liked Tambo and Renney though. He'll give his all to make the #Oilers .

The Nuge 08-27-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerchon (Post 70562577)
To be honest as things stand right now there is very little difference between the two.

Right now we are just hoping Mac T's moves turn out well.

Neither has addressed size or grit.

Neither has (as of yet) improved the team in any significant way.

Andrew Ference, Boyd Gordon, David Perron. Enough said

Tad Mikowsky 08-27-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nuge (Post 70566279)
Andrew Ference, Boyd Gordon, David Perron. Enough said

It's like people will actually go out of their way and ignore any move made to ***** and moan about how woeful a job someone is doing.

The Nuge 08-27-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky (Post 70570941)
It's like people will actually go out of their way and ignore any move made to ***** and moan about how woeful a job someone is doing.

Pretty much. For some people it can only be no moves, or the wrong moves. There's no such thing as a good signing/trade

SchultzSquared 08-27-2013 07:47 PM

MacT has been quick to fix problems and patch holes... not afraid to make moves if he sees a chance to get something (Perron) or somethings (multiple picks/Russians) he likes... far cry from Tambo who was limited to one move every calendar year

In that sense MacT is already better... but is he a GOOD GM??? We will not know until we see the moves in practice... if Perron flames out and/or Magnus hits his stride in St. Louis or Gordon is a boat anchor then no obviously he is not no matter what he was TRYING to do

T-Funk 08-27-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchultzSquared (Post 705718)

In that sense MacT is already better... but is he a GOOD GM??? We will not know until we see the moves in practice... if Perron flames out and/or Magnus hits his stride in St. Louis or Gordon is a boat anchor then no obviously he is not no matter what he was TRYING to do

. Any smart GM given the oilers situation would make those exact same moves. I don't think they prove MacT's worth one way or the other no matter how they pan out. Gordon = Horcoff, but grittier and cheaper. Paajarvi = a project, of which we have way too many already. Perron has proven himself to be at least 2nd line material and has an ability to score even in defensive systems.

Spawn 08-27-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchultzSquared (Post 70571811)
MacT has been quick to fix problems and patch holes...

Meh, I still see the same problems now that I did at the end of last season.

Soft bottom 6 with too many borderline NHLers/inexperienced players.
Awful center depth with no room for injury (as demonstrated with the Oilers likely starting the year with Gagner and Gordon as the top 2 centers).
Bad defensive core that does not have a true top pairing d-man and only has one legitimate puck mover in the group.

Not only has MacT failed to address the holes on the team, he wasn't even able to address what he preceived as issues.
A) He swung out on acquiring Clarkson (thank God) or a similar big top 6 forward. Instead he traded for another smaller skilled guy.
B) He swung out on acquiring a goaltender. Apparently he was in on Bernier and Schneider (thank God considering what the rumoured asking price was). Didn't land either.
C) Struck out on a deal for Coburn. He added Ference, but he at best is a #4 guy, and ideally wouldn't even be there.

What I see with MacT is a guy who talked a big game but wasn't actually able to accomplish really any of the things he set out to do to start the off-season. Sure I'm willing to give him more time. But he hasn't blown me away with anything. If anything, we're lucky that he didn't succeed in some of the things he shot for.

czar99 08-27-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoobs (Post 70562155)
MacT does stuff.

/thread

GreatKeith 08-27-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spawn (Post 70573477)
Meh, I still see the same problems now that I did at the end of last season.

Soft bottom 6 with too many borderline NHLers/inexperienced players.
Awful center depth with no room for injury (as demonstrated with the Oilers likely starting the year with Gagner and Gordon as the top 2 centers).
Bad defensive core that does not have a true top pairing d-man and only has one legitimate puck mover in the group.

Not only has MacT failed to address the holes on the team, he wasn't even able to address what he preceived as issues.
A) He swung out on acquiring Clarkson (thank God) or a similar big top 6 forward. Instead he traded for another smaller skilled guy.
B) He swung out on acquiring a goaltender. Apparently he was in on Bernier and Schneider (thank God considering what the rumoured asking price was). Didn't land either.
C) Struck out on a deal for Coburn. He added Ference, but he at best is a #4 guy, and ideally wouldn't even be there.

What I see with MacT is a guy who talked a big game but wasn't actually able to accomplish really any of the things he set out to do to start the off-season. Sure I'm willing to give him more time. But he hasn't blown me away with anything. If anything, we're lucky that he didn't succeed in some of the things he shot for.

Ference was more than a #4 on the Stanley Cup finalists...

Spawn 08-27-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatKeith (Post 70573765)
Ference was more than a #4 on the Stanley Cup finalists...

When you have 2 d-men as good as Chara and Seidenberg you can afford to have Andrew Ference on your second pairing. With all due respect to Smid and Petry, they aren't even close.

nullterm 08-27-2013 08:59 PM

Tambo says nothing, does little.

MacT says bold things, does more than a little but not enough to be bold.

Asher 08-27-2013 09:03 PM

Being better than Tambo isn't much of a compliment.

GreatKeith 08-27-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spawn (Post 70573911)
When you have 2 d-men as good as Chara and Seidenberg you can afford to have Andrew Ference on your second pairing. With all due respect to Smid and Petry, they aren't even close.

And those two got exposed for the majority of the series.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.