HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Rumor: Gagner New Captain? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1490459)

BFDBFD 08-27-2013 10:32 PM

Gagner New Captain?

As per Oilersnation.com (and @WanyeGretz):

http://oilersnation.com/2013/8/27/sa...o-be-named-c14

Thoughts?

CanadianSuperPromise 08-27-2013 10:35 PM

Interesting. I always saw Gagner as sort of the leader of all the kids actually, especially considering his age and experience. You can visibly see Gagner as the main guy when ever the kid line are doing an interview together etc. (ill see if I can find one). Also I think Gagner's on ice and off ice chemistry also exemplifies his leadership qualities.

MCDAVIDISH 08-27-2013 10:36 PM

I would be completely fine with this, his character on and off the ice is captain like. As well he can have an impact on the game, much more than our previous captains. He's a lead by example type, I feel Hall would be the best on the ice however he still has much maturing to do. Gagners been around for a long long time and I won't be upset if he's named captain.... Yeah I'm a Gagner fan.

Shanahanigans 08-27-2013 10:36 PM

Was just about to post that. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. It's not like their breaking a trade or anything so I think this news has a good chance of being true.

Yak City 08-27-2013 10:36 PM

Honestly, Hall must have turned down the captaincy if true - however, Gagner is more than an acceptable second choice. I know he gets a lot of hate here on HFoil, but the one thing that you can't say against the guy is that he suffers from any shortage of character.

Asher 08-27-2013 10:36 PM

Wayne's gone a little loopy. :loony:

Auguste McEscoffier 08-27-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher (Post 70576991)
Wayne's gone a little loopy. :loony:

How so? This post is not laced with the usual immature **** he sprinkles in. I have no doubt he was told Gagner is the new captain.

rasarhdasd 08-27-2013 10:41 PM

Kinda hope it's not true but wouldn't hate it.

ruok 08-27-2013 10:41 PM

I never even thought about Gags being a potential captain until I read this. I have to say though it does seem like a good fit.

The Nuge 08-27-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PETRYDISH (Post 70576961)
I would be completely fine with this, his character on and off the ice is captain like. As well he can have an impact on the game, much more than our previous captains. He's a lead by example type, I feel Hall would be the best on the ice however he still has much maturing to do. Gagners been around for a long long time and I won't be upset if he's named captain.... Yeah I'm a Gagner fan.

Agree 100%. I was thinking it'd make sense back when his contract negotiation was going on, but figured people would think I'm nuts :laugh:

Azor ahai 08-27-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFDBFD (Post 70576873)
As per Oilersnation.com (and @WanyeGretz):

http://oilersnation.com/2013/8/27/sa...o-be-named-c14

Thoughts?

I'm quite fine with this. He definately has the leadership qualities to take over the "C" for the oilers. He's been around for a long time, and seems to have the respect of his teammates, which is the most important thing for a captain.

Asher 08-27-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier (Post 70577103)
How so? This post is not laced with the usual immature **** he sprinkles in. I have no doubt he was told Gagner is the new captain.

I don't believe for a second that he's (ie. supposedly Eakins) made his decision yet. And if by some crazy circumstance Eakins has decided, I highly doubt "Wayne" would be the one to break the story.

Moonlapse Vertigo 08-27-2013 10:46 PM

He's kinda giving me the business about it on Twitter. Maybe he's just teasing.

Asher 08-27-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo (Post 70577215)
He's kinda giving me the business about it on Twitter. Maybe he's just teasing.

Tell him TreenasOil says he's full of ****. As per Garfield.

Generational Player 08-27-2013 10:48 PM

Hall is in EDM indefinitely, why not just give him the C and Gagner an A?

dem 08-27-2013 10:51 PM

I figured he was going to be the guy.

Hall seems more like an on ice leader than off the ice.

I don't think you will find anyone around EDM who has bad things to say about Sam. He's a stand up guy. I hope he brings it every game with the C on his chest. No more coasting. Could be the best thing to happen to him.

awesomo 08-27-2013 10:52 PM

Sam Gagner would deserve it... he fights when he has to, he works hard and hes a good guy on and off the ice.

BFDBFD 08-27-2013 10:52 PM

Sorry, I totally should have put RUMOUR in the thread title and I don't know how to change it now. Perhaps a friendly mod could change it for me?

Mcnotloilersfan 08-27-2013 10:53 PM

How reliable is the source? I find it tough to believe that we went down to the wire on contract negotiations with our new captain.

CanadianSuperPromise 08-27-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC24 (Post 70577257)
Hall is in EDM indefinitely, why not just give him the C and Gagner an A?

Maybe because Gagner might actually be the better choice? Fan's assume too much regarding locker room politics imo. Sure Hall might have good on ice drive and work ethic but there's much more to that regarding captaincy.

Aceboogie 08-27-2013 10:55 PM

Gagner is probably a better leader off ice. Older/ more mature and is also a leader on ice. But I'd rather not have a captain this season and have 3 As. Or give to amid for a year. If you give it to gagner hell have it for a long time.

Apocalyptic Mist* 08-27-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher (Post 70577239)
Tell him TreenasOil says he's full of ****. As per Garfield.

I have a question im hoping to have answered by atleast 1 person here, not betting on it though... Who the **** is Garfield? :dunce:

Oiltankjob Fail 08-27-2013 10:57 PM

I don't think Hall wants to be captain , he just wants to concentrate on hockey alone and minimize any off ice distractions jmo.

CanadianSuperPromise 08-27-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notloilersfan (Post 70577371)
How reliable is the source? I find it tough to believe that we went down to the wire on contract negotiations with our new captain.

OilersNation is pretty legit, Wayne probably wouldn't risk lying or spreading rumours. Plus he seems to have a couple sources regarding Gagner, he broke out a couple of things during the negotiations.

McPuritania 08-27-2013 10:57 PM

And here I was sure Grebs was going to get the 'C'.