HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... The Sequel!! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1491733)

overlords 08-30-2013 09:49 PM

Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... The Sequel!!
 
Continue here


to start this one off, I'll throw some gas on the fire.


Does anybody else feel that die hard is incredibly overrated?



*runs away*

Andy 08-31-2013 12:26 AM

Die Hard 1 and 3 are great. 2 and the rest...meh.

To continue the Sci-Fi discussion from last thread, I'm not sure if I'd place 5th Element as the best SciFi. There's way too many good ones to pick one. I'm surprised Looper hasn't been mentioned, it's one of my favorite SciFi movies. Maybe 'cause I went into it with zero expectations, but I ****ing loved it.

An other good oneL 12 monkeys

Estimated_Prophet 08-31-2013 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 70670311)
Die Hard 1 and 3 are great. 2 and the rest...meh.

To continue the Sci-Fi discussion from last thread, I'm not sure if I'd place 5th Element as the best SciFi. There's way too many good ones to pick one. I'm surprised Looper hasn't been mentioned, it's one of my favorite SciFi movies. Maybe 'cause I went into it with zero expectations, but I ****ing loved it.

An other good oneL 12 monkeys

The Die Hard movies aren't meant to be taken too seriously. The only ones that are decent are the John McTiernan ones (1 and 3). Relative to their respective genre these two movies hold up pretty well.

Lshap 08-31-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 70667381)
Continue here


to start this one off, I'll throw some gas on the fire.


Does anybody else feel that die hard is incredibly overrated?



*runs away*

Hang your head in shame. Calling Die Hard overrated is grounds for being kicked out of Guy-World. Seriously man, the franchise tapped into this archetypal story of solitary reluctant hero battling impossible odds. A lot hinged upon Bruce Willis's ability to carry the storyline, and he hit a grand slam. Willis was the perfect actor, with a balance of physicality and humour that made him just strong enough to win, but not too strong to be unbelievable. He was likeable but no saint, a guy who couldn't handle his wife but found a zippy one-liner chemistry with head bad-guy Alan Rickman. In a lot of ways, Willis' John McLean character became a template for so many snarky heroes that followed. Dysfunctional in life, functional in crisis.

But even beyond Willis, the film was well-constructed. The setting was perfect -- a huge office building that confined everyone just as effectively as being marooned on an island. In fact, added all together, the cast, story, setting and directing made Die Hard one of film's perfect thrillers.

Bloumeister 08-31-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet (Post 70671069)
The Die Hard movies aren't meant to be taken too seriously. The only ones that are decent are the John McTiernan ones (1 and 3). Relative to their respective genre these two movies hold up pretty well.

This. Die Hard pretty much revived the action flick genre in the late 80's, which was polluted by larger-than-life quasi-invincible characters played by Ah-Nuld, Stallone and Steven Segal. Someone had the guts to cast Bruce Willis as John McClane, the witty and resourceful 'ordinary guy' with a die hard (duh) motivation/resolve. It became a blockbuster. It also pretty much brought back the sequel trend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lshap (Post 70674721)
Hang your head in shame. Calling Die Hard overrated is grounds for being kicked out of Guy-World. Seriously man, the franchise tapped into this archetypal story of solitary reluctant hero battling impossible odds. A lot hinged upon Bruce Willis's ability to carry the storyline, and he hit a grand slam. Willis was the perfect actor, with a balance of physicality and humour that made him just strong enough to win, but not too strong to be unbelievable. He was likeable but no saint, a guy who couldn't handle his wife but found a zippy one-liner chemistry with head bad-guy Alan Rickman. In a lot of ways, Willis' John McLean character became a template for so many snarky heroes that followed. Dysfunctional in life, functional in crisis.

But even beyond Willis, the film was well-constructed. The setting was perfect -- a huge office building that confined everyone just as effectively as being marooned on an island. In fact, added all together, the cast, story, setting and directing made Die Hard one of film's perfect thrillers.

Yeah, pretty much what I was trying to say, but much more eloquently :handclap:

Lshap 08-31-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 70670311)
Die Hard 1 and 3 are great. 2 and the rest...meh.

To continue the Sci-Fi discussion from last thread, I'm not sure if I'd place 5th Element as the best SciFi. There's way too many good ones to pick one. I'm surprised Looper hasn't been mentioned, it's one of my favorite SciFi movies. Maybe 'cause I went into it with zero expectations, but I ****ing loved it.

An other good oneL 12 monkeys

I worship 12 Monkeys. It is an orgasm of mind-bending paradoxes. Actually, it's a multiple orgasm because it keeps looping back on itself. No wonder I love this film.

Plus, add it to the evidence (along with my previous post) that Bruce Willis is a far better actor than he's given credit for.

Bloumeister 08-31-2013 09:53 AM

Oh, and Alan Rickman is God :nod:

Bloumeister 08-31-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lshap (Post 70674805)
I worship 12 Monkeys. It is an orgasm of mind-bending paradoxes. Actually, it's a multiple orgasm because it keeps looping back on itself. No wonder I love this film.

Plus, add it to the evidence (along with my previous post) that Bruce Willis is a far better actor than he's given credit for.

And Terry Gilliam is God :)

Lshap 08-31-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloumeister (Post 70674939)
Oh, and Alan Rickman is God :nod:

Well, at the very least, his success rate is about the same.

Bloumeister 08-31-2013 10:02 AM

From movies to TV, and from God to God-forsaken:

I was flipping channels last night, and I stumbled across this episode of Un souper presque parfait with 'where is he now' board member Daniel Bigras (he of tricolore.ca sh... err, fame):

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

It's... something.

:help:

Brainiac 08-31-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 70670311)
Die Hard 1 and 3 are great. 2 and the rest...meh.

Same here.

Die Hard 2 was never a Die Hard movie. It's a book adaptation and the producer wanted it to have the Die Hard label.

4 and 5, like most recent action movies just don't make sense (IMO). You don't know what's going on, you don't know why (and how?) the bad guys do this or that. And McLane is just hopping from one firefight to the other, randomly stumbling upon some intel on the way etc.

I actually saw #4, expecting it to a least follow in the footsteps of 1&3. Was so bad that I just looked at the first 30 min. or so of #5 just to be convinced that it's gonna be the same cr4p.

But 1&3. Those two did age very well. Yes, there's a bunch unrealistic things in there, of course. But at least McLane has to sort of figure out what's going in order to take down the bad guys, whose motives and means are, to a certain extent, beliveable.

roy munson 08-31-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lshap (Post 70674721)
Hang your head in shame. Calling Die Hard overrated is grounds for being kicked out of Guy-World. Seriously man, the franchise tapped into this archetypal story of solitary reluctant hero battling impossible odds. A lot hinged upon Bruce Willis's ability to carry the storyline, and he hit a grand slam. Willis was the perfect actor, with a balance of physicality and humour that made him just strong enough to win, but not too strong to be unbelievable. He was likeable but no saint, a guy who couldn't handle his wife but found a zippy one-liner chemistry with head bad-guy Alan Rickman. In a lot of ways, Willis' John McLean character became a template for so many snarky heroes that followed. Dysfunctional in life, functional in crisis.

I agree 100%.

I also always thought of Die Hard and Lethal Weapon to be very similar (fan of both). Gibson and Willis have the ability to play a tough cop on a mission and make room for humour without killing the suspense.

Also, go 12 monkeys :yo:

Bloumeister 08-31-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 70675339)
Same here.

Die Hard 2 was never a Die Hard movie. It's a book adaptation and the producer wanted it to have the Die Hard label.

4 and 5, like most recent action movies just don't make sense (IMO). You don't know what's going on, you don't know why (and how?) the bad guys do this or that. And McLane is just hopping from one firefight to the other, randomly stumbling upon some intel on the way etc.

I actually saw #4, expecting it to a least follow in the footsteps of 1&3. Was so bad that I just looked at the first 30 min. or so of #5 just to be convinced that it's gonna be the same cr4p.

But 1&3. Those two did age very well. Yes, there's a bunch unrealistic things in there, of course. But at least McLane has to sort of figure out what's going in order to take down the bad guys, whose motives and means are, to a certain extent, beliveable.

Rule of thumb:

If Bruce Willis has no hair in it, it's not a Die Hard movie.

Another case of 'original' trilogy. Yippie Ki Yay!

Bloumeister 08-31-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roy munson (Post 70675699)
I agree 100%.

I also always thought of Die Hard and Lethal Weapon to be very similar (fan of both). Gibson and Willis have the ability to play a tough cop on a mission and make room for humour without killing the suspense.

Also, go 12 monkeys :yo:

Of course my man Roy digs 12 Monkeys :yo:

Crimson Skorpion 08-31-2013 10:43 AM

Since we're being honest... I don't care much for the Godfather series. Any of them.

Andy 08-31-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion (Post 70676061)
Since we're being honest... I don't care much for the Godfather series. Any of them.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...i6tmo1_250.gif

Bloumeister 08-31-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion (Post 70676061)
Since we're being honest... I don't care much for the Godfather series. Any of them.

Some things are better left unsaid, CS ;)

Lshap 08-31-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion (Post 70676061)
Since we're being honest... I don't care much for the Godfather series. Any of them.

I give you credit for coming-out right here on a message board. Takes courage. For what it's worth, I believe your type deserves the same chances at happiness as the rest of us so-called 'normal' folks. Best of luck!

Just don't think of moving into my neighbourhood.

Crimson Skorpion 08-31-2013 10:59 AM



I love the Money Pit. That is my answer to that statement.

Bloumeister 08-31-2013 11:03 AM

Doesn't like The Godfather, uses Family Guy to prove his point :silly: :shakehead :help: :huh: :badidea: :loony: :dunce: :facepalm:

Crimson Skorpion 08-31-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloumeister (Post 70676449)
Doesn't like The Godfather, uses Family Guy to prove his point :silly: :shakehead :help: :huh: :badidea: :loony: :dunce: :facepalm:

T'was a joke. You know... satire?

I still don't like The Godfather though.

uiCk 08-31-2013 11:14 AM

Personally I rank good fellas, casino and scarface above godfather trio when it comes to gangster flicks. Doesn't mean I don't like godfather, its a great trilogy.

The untouchables IMO is one of the most overrated gangster flicks. Connery and Costner are terrible in that movie

overlords 08-31-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion (Post 70676061)
Since we're being honest... I don't care much for the Godfather series. Any of them.

Hah. Oh boy. I'd tell you to take cover, but you know that already.

Loved godfather 1. Don't understand how people have to argue about which one is better between 1 and 2.


As for die hard... I can see how it helped revive the action movie scene at the time, but just as a film, I don't find it all that entertaining. I always see it as #1 on all time best action movies when T2 is a vastly superior film. Matrix too, imo, fwiw.

I tried watching kill bill vol. 1 again. Couldn't get through it, again. Just not my type of movie. :dunno:


Not sure if I mentioned it in the last thread, but anyone else here love Old Boy?

Agnostic 08-31-2013 11:19 AM

While we are confessing our sins against manhood , I am sure everyone has a movie they don't get or is overhyped. Mine is A Clockwork Orange.

Oh and some of the Die Hard movies have redefined the art of taking your audience for idiots. These movies defy so many things but mostly the laws of physics.

Agnostic 08-31-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 70676753)
Hah. Oh boy. I'd tell you to take cover, but you know that already.

Loved godfather 1. Don't understand how people have to argue about which one is better between 1 and 2.


As for die hard... I can see how it helped revive the action movie scene at the time, but just as a film, I don't find it all that entertaining. I always see it as #1 on all time best action movies when T2 is a vastly superior film. Matrix too, imo, fwiw.

I tried watching kill bill vol. 1 again. Couldn't get through it, again. Just not my type of movie. :dunno:


Not sure if I mentioned it in the last thread, but anyone else here love Old Boy?

I have Old Boy but haven't watched it yet. I might have watched it by now if not for all the great suggestions on this thread which have ended up on my watch list .


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.