HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Adjusted GAA (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1492201)

saskriders 09-01-2013 02:08 AM

Adjusted GAA
 
Does anyone know if there is a list of goalies GAAs adjusted based on the year's average goals per game. (ie. A GAA in a high scoring era such as the 80s or the 1910 drops, while a GAA in a low scoring era such as the late 90s or the 30s goes up)

Preferably the numbers would be adjusted to the current goals per game average, but anything would be good. I am just interested in how goalies from different eras would compare stats-wise

TheDevilMadeMe 09-01-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saskriders (Post 70696455)
Does anyone know if there is a list of goalies GAAs adjusted based on the year's average goals per game. (ie. A GAA in a high scoring era such as the 80s or the 1910 drops, while a GAA in a low scoring era such as the late 90s or the 30s goes up)

Preferably the numbers would be adjusted to the current goals per game average, but anything would be good. I am just interested in how goalies from different eras would compare stats-wise

Hockey-reference.com has this: http://www.hockey-reference.com/lead...ed_career.html

Not sure how the adjustment works; it seems mighty fishy that 5 of the top 9 in career adjusted GAA are all active.

Morgoth Bauglir 09-01-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe (Post 70716361)
Hockey-reference.com has this: http://www.hockey-reference.com/lead...ed_career.html

Not sure how the adjustment works; it seems mighty fishy that 5 of the top 9 in career adjusted GAA are all active.

This is what they're claiming their methodology is >>>>>

"Adjusted Goals Against Average

To compute adjusted goals against average, first figure the player's unadjusted goals against average, then multiply by an era adjustment. The era adjustment is found by dividing 3 (our base goals against average) by the league goals against average without the goaltender in question.

For example, in 1993-94 Dominik Hasek allowed 109 goals in 3358 minutes, a goals against average of (109 / 3358) * 60 = 1.95.

The league totals were 6927 goals in 132362 minutes, giving a league goals against average (without Hasek) of ((6927 - 109) / (132362 - 3358)) * 60 = 3.17. Thus the era adjustment is 3 / 3.17 = 0.946.

Appyling this to Hasek's goals against average, we get an adjusted goals against average of 1.95 * 0.946 = 1.84."

I agree their seems to be something "off" there but I can't figure out the whyfores.

TheDevilMadeMe 09-01-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 (Post 70718079)

I agree their seems to be something "off" there but I can't figure out the whyfores.

Maybe it's just that young active players haven't yet had years of declining to bring down their averages. I dunno, I feel like something else has to be there for there to be THAT many active players at the top though.

Morgoth Bauglir 09-01-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe (Post 70718253)
Maybe it's just that young active players haven't yet had years of declining to bring down their averages. I dunno, I feel like something else has to be there for there to be THAT many active players at the top though.

That's a good possibility. Honestly, I'm never fond of comparing active players still in their primes to retired players. The active player's resume is incomplete afterall.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.