HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Speculation: Eklund: Rangers Coach "Quietly" Pushing for a Big Trade to Change Culture? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1493409)

cwede 09-04-2013 10:44 AM

Eklund: Rangers Coach "Quietly" Pushing for a Big Trade to Change Culture?

this was posted this morning

Eklund is not credible but people read his stuff anyway, and if course there's those "three sources"

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?b...1#.UidUeTblYXE

Rangers Coach "Quietly" Pushing for a Big Trade to Change Culture?
September 4, 2013, 9:52 AM ET

Often with a new regime come players suited for the new coach's system.
It had been very quiet in NY until this morning when three sources, all within 90 minutes of each other informed me that the rumor is Vigneault may want to do some major "re-shaping" in NY and get away from some of the components Tortorella had put in place.

Thirty One 09-04-2013 10:46 AM

He's meeting players next week, but has already decided that the culture sucks?

NYR Viper 09-04-2013 10:46 AM

Sounds like he wants to infuse some skill possibly into the line-up.

PLEASE DISCUSS THE RUMOR, NOT THE SOURCE!!

I could see Boyle being moved. Mason Raymond is still out there.

Thirty One 09-04-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR Viper (Post 70781545)

Can't see AV wanting Boyle moved.

Blue Blooded 09-04-2013 10:49 AM

We actually have decent amounts of skill up and down the lineup IMO.

Going by the nature of the comments Boyle seems too minor of a piece. My feeling is that it would be either Callahan or Girardi. But that doesn't make sense considering their contract status. Maybe a Brent Burns-style deal for one of them where the player negotiates an extension with the new team before the deal is finalized.

JohnC 09-04-2013 10:50 AM

Sounds like Nash to me

Antithesis 09-04-2013 10:52 AM

Nowhere in the rumor did I see the word "trade." That was in the title and is speculation.

The sources, according to the writer, say that he is "re-shaping" and changing "components"

That could be components of the pre-season training regiment, the team's medical staff, or the locker room culture, for all we know. It doesn't necessarily mean trade.

Blue Blooded 09-04-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnC (Post 70781633)
Sounds like Nash to me

Why on earth would he trade Nash after the season he just had, makes no sense.

Especially considering he is allegedly big on analytics. Nash's regular season performance was top-10 among forwards last year.

Plus, you know, Nash's NMC.

GAGLine 09-04-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR Viper (Post 70781545)

I give the rumor no credibility. AV doesn't know the culture surrounding this team, nor does he even know the players yet. And whatever changes he might want, they aren't happening a week before camp opens.

Off Sides 09-04-2013 10:56 AM

Boyle, Del Zotto come to my mind first, maybe Pyatt who played for AV before. Brassard with Arniel?

All the same I would guess any move would be more to open up cap space for a long term Stepan signing, then again they could just use their overage and figure it out when they need to become cap compliant.

pld459666 09-04-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -31- (Post 70781591)
Can't see AV wanting Boyle moved.

I can.

A big, slow, lumbering offensively challenged center that will be bumped to wing.

I can easily see him getting moved.

But as i type, I'm not sure if you were being serious or not. I know you like to make jokes.

OverTheCap 09-04-2013 11:02 AM

I agree with GAG, not sure what basis AV would have to change the culture when he barely knows the players. He has yet to see how they interact as a team, whether in the locker room or on the ice. And it's not like the team has any Avery, Kotalik, Wolski, etc., types that need to be weeded out.

Raspewtin 09-04-2013 11:05 AM

How could AV think the culture isn't up to par when he's barely met his players?

Blue Blooded 09-04-2013 11:06 AM

AV likes to have a designated defensive center taking a ton of draws in the D-zone.

Boyle fits that mould to a T.

Bleed Ranger Blue 09-04-2013 11:08 AM

Surprise! I find an Eklund rumor hard to believe.

So, we should expect AV to push for a trade to change the team culture, despite not meeting all the players or having any idea about the culture yet?

Makes sense.

Thirty One 09-04-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pld459666 (Post 70781933)
I can.

A big, slow, lumbering offensively challenged center that will be bumped to wing.

I can easily see him getting moved.

But as i type, I'm not sure if you were being serious or not. I know you like to make jokes.

I am being 100% serious.

Calad 09-04-2013 11:15 AM

There's a reason I ignore every word out of this guy's mouth

Raspewtin 09-04-2013 11:17 AM

Boyle will be AV's Manny Malhotra. He stays I firmly believe.

Off Sides 09-04-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Blooded (Post 70782061)
AV likes to have a designated defensive center taking a ton of draws in the D-zone.

Boyle fits that mould to a T.

Does he prefer that or was that designated by the centers Vancouver had?

Sedin
Kesler

3rd centers
Morrison
Sundin
Demitra

Not until Wellwood, Malhotra were the only other options did AV really choose a center to be the designated defensive center.

Green Blob* 09-04-2013 11:20 AM

I wouldnt even consider it a "rumor" considering the source. So it not worth really speculating on this at all.

It doesn't even make a drop of sense considering he hasnt even met with the team or even coached them.

Thirty One 09-04-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Sides (Post 70782401)
Does he prefer that or was that designated by the centers Vancouver had?

Sedin
Kesler

3rd centers
Morrison
Sundin
Demitra

Not until Wellwood, Malhotra were the only other options did AV really choose a center to be the designated defensive center.

You're a bit confused.

It wasn't until the season after Sundin was there that Kesler took over as 2nd line center. Demitra played wing for them.

MeltingPlastic 09-04-2013 11:26 AM

Only thing I can think of is AV wants to bring Morrow in. Morrow has stated that the team he wants to play for is looking for a way to fit him in and AV saw a lot of him in the west. Figure you trade Boyle, MZA and Pyatt, i think they bring in Morrow. Far fetched as all hell but maybe?

16 To Stanley* 09-04-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Blooded (Post 70781625)

Going by the nature of the comments Boyle seems too minor of a piece. My feeling is that it would be either Callahan or Girardi. But that doesn't make sense considering their contract status. Maybe a Brent Burns-style deal for one of them where the player negotiates an extension with the new team before the deal is finalized.

Not to add to the credibility of the off-season publicity lies spewed by Eklund, but if AV came in and his first real move is trading away Callahan, the heart of soul of this organization, he would be hated by fans before he even gets a chance to stand behind the bench.

Shape the team how you want, dumping our captain and a guy that this team has been molded after would be dispicable, especially if you're trying to "change the culture." You don't trade away the guy who is the hardest worker, year in year out.

bernmeister 09-04-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Blooded (Post 70781625)

1. Eklund = usually not reliable.

2. Bold, mostly agree.

3. Callahan only for enough profit in material received back, from a team like Buffalo that would consider to overpay (esp. if they move Vanek to Wild), + fact that Cally only has so many years left with the way he plays..

4 I could see Girardi, too, but not clear as to replacement.

Off Sides 09-04-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -31- (Post 70782489)
You're a bit confused.

It wasn't until the season after Sundin was there that Kesler took over as 2nd line center. Demitra played wing for them.

Really?.

In 07-08
Sedin, Kesler, Morrison were the centers to start the year, Morrison was injured Ritchie was the replacement

08-09
Sedin, Kesler, Wellwood, brought in Sundin late in the year who took over for Wellwood, tried Demitra as center before signing Sundin

09-10
Sedin, Kesler, Wellwood,

10-11, 11-12
Malholtra, Lapierre