HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Trent Hunter (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1493883)

KeziaTML 09-05-2013 11:03 AM

Trent Hunter

Has there been any official announcement of his retirement? Kinda just dropped off the face of the earth.

Kuolema83 09-05-2013 11:31 AM

On September 14, 2011 it was announced that Hunter would sign a professional tryout contract with the Los Angeles Kings to attend the pre-season camp for the 2011–12 campaign. He was then signed to a one-year contract with the Kings on September 30, 2011. After producing only 7 points in 38 games with the Kings, he was cleared from waivers and re-assigned to AHL affiliate, the Manchester Monarchs for the remainder of the season.

There is no mention of him signing in Europe so he should be a free agent. Its a shame he set some records for the Islanders farm team and had some potential but he never really panned out.

caley 09-05-2013 11:50 AM

Last I heard he was playing Senior League hockey somewhere in Canada. So he hasn't retired but...he's retired.

Jester9881 09-05-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuolema83 (Post 70812853)
On September 14, 2011 it was announced that Hunter would sign a professional tryout contract with the Los Angeles Kings to attend the pre-season camp for the 2011–12 campaign. He was then signed to a one-year contract with the Kings on September 30, 2011. After producing only 7 points in 38 games with the Kings, he was cleared from waivers and re-assigned to AHL affiliate, the Manchester Monarchs for the remainder of the season.

There is no mention of him signing in Europe so he should be a free agent. Its a shame he set some records for the Islanders farm team and had some potential but he never really panned out.

He panned out fine.. it's just that he was slow footed to begin with, then the lockout happened (rule changes) and injuries.... he just couldn't keep up anymore. He was a warrior for the Islanders, i think he led the league in hits a couple years... would chip in 15-20 goals, play solid defense and throw his body in front of shots like it was a hobby. That style of play will make any athlete age quickly.

Kuolema83 09-05-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester9881 (Post 70814083)
He panned out fine.. it's just that he was slow footed to begin with, then the lockout happened (rule changes) and injuries.... he just couldn't keep up anymore. He was a warrior for the Islanders, i think he led the league in hits a couple years... would chip in 15-20 goals, play solid defense and throw his body in front of shots like it was a hobby. That style of play will make any athlete age quickly.

He panned out to be an average player which any NHL team can ask for from a sixth round pick. I just remember hearing a lot more hype surrounding him during his time on the island.

cagefighter91 09-05-2013 12:44 PM

that's because he was a bright spot on an other wise not so bright team, thankfully times are changing

Darth Milbury 09-05-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuolema83 (Post 70814473)
He panned out to be an average player which any NHL team can ask for from a sixth round pick. I just remember hearing a lot more hype surrounding him during his time on the island.

I don't know what kind of "hype" you are talking about. I was a huge Trent Hunter fan during his time on the Island. I loved his defensive smarts, effort level, hitting, and flashes of scoring ability. He was the consummate third line forward, who could occasionally help out in the top six.

I think some had hopes he'd be more than that after his big rookie season, but he was everything Islander management wanted.

His career ended on a down note because injuries and lack of foot speed reduced him to a marginal level.

I don't know what kind of records you are talking about him setting for the farm team. He typically scored in the 30 goal range in the AHL, which is about what most third line NHL forwards manage. Hardly record material though. He doesn't come close to Bridgeport team records in any category.

He was also not a sixth round pick.

Perhaps you are thinking of a different player?

tony d 09-05-2013 01:32 PM

Hunter was always a decent depth guy, if he's not retired he'd be a good pick up for any team.

VincentD 09-05-2013 02:21 PM

He plays for the Bentley Generals in Alberta. It looks like a Senior AAA league.

Hard to believe no professionnal team wanted him. He was a good depth guy with the Islanders and almost won the Calder trophy in 2004.

http://www.bentleygenerals.ca/league...&clientID=5256

Kuolema83 09-05-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury (Post 70814897)
I don't know what kind of "hype" you are talking about. I was a huge Trent Hunter fan during his time on the Island. I loved his defensive smarts, effort level, hitting, and flashes of scoring ability. He was the consummate third line forward, who could occasionally help out in the top six.

I think some had hopes he'd be more than that after his big rookie season, but he was everything Islander management wanted.

His career ended on a down note because injuries and lack of foot speed reduced him to a marginal level.

I don't know what kind of records you are talking about him setting for the farm team. He typically scored in the 30 goal range in the AHL, which is about what most third line NHL forwards manage. Hardly record material though. He doesn't come close to Bridgeport team records in any category.

He was also not a sixth round pick.

Perhaps you are thinking of a different player?

Originally drafted in the sixth round (150th overall) of the 1998 NHL Entry Draft by the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, Hunter was traded to the New York Islanders for a 4th round draft pick in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft. He set franchise records for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the American Hockey League in all three scoring categories (30–35–65). He made his NHL debut in the 2002 Playoffs, registering 1 goal and 1 assist in 4 games.

Hunter broke into the NHL full-time with the Islanders in 2003–2004 and was tied for first on the team in goals (25, with Mariusz Czerkawski) and tied for total points (51, with Oleg Kvasha). He finished third in voting for the Calder Trophy in 2004, losing to Andrew Raycroft of the Boston Bruins.

During the 2004-05 lockout season, Hunter played in Nyköping in Swedish Allsvenskan, becoming an instant hit with the club's fans for his NHL skills and aggressive play. The most influential player in the squad, Hunter came close to leading the unfancied club to promotion, leading the side to a sensational 5-4 victory against multiple Swedish champions Brynäs away from home in the playoffs. In the end, a defeat in the return leg ended Nyköping's hopes.

Hunter then become an important player for the Islanders. He was consistently among the league leaders in hits and was one of the Islanders best penalty killers.

On July 28, 2011, Hunter was traded to the New Jersey Devils in exchange for winger Brian Rolston. Traded to the Devils for salary cap purposes, on August 1, 2011, Hunter was placed on waivers by the Devils along with Colin White. He was then bought out from the final two years of his contract on August 2 after clearing.[1]

CREW99AW 09-05-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeziaTML (Post 70812217)
Has there been any official announcement of his retirement? Kinda just dropped off the face of the earth.

I think he had some serious hip injuries Too bad because he was a very solid player before the injuries took their toll.

SLAPSHOT723 09-05-2013 02:59 PM

He went on a very hard decline that he'll never recover from. He was great when healthy, but his NHL time is all but done.

Darth Milbury 09-05-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuolema83 (Post 70818257)
Originally drafted in the sixth round (150th overall) of the 1998 NHL Entry Draft by the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, Hunter was traded to the New York Islanders for a 4th round draft pick in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft. He set franchise records for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the American Hockey League in all three scoring categories (30–35–65). He made his NHL debut in the 2002 Playoffs, registering 1 goal and 1 assist in 4 games.

Those aren't franchise records for the Sound Tigers. Jeff Tambellini had 70+ points for them, Jeff Hamliton had 40+ goals, and they've had several players with 40+ assists

Bridgeport has had players score over 65 points most years the franchise has been in existence, in fact. Trent Hunter had a 70 point season the next year.

Hunter did break in with Bridgeport right as that franchise was getting started so those numbers may have represented a team record for exactly one season.

Seems like you are getting all your info about Hunter from some sort of press release, and press releases are sometimes incorrect or incomplete.

And, I still don't see all that "hype" you were discussing.

Kuolema83 09-05-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury (Post 70819499)
Those aren't franchise records for the Sound Tigers. Jeff Tambellini had 70+ points for them, Jeff Hamliton had 40+ goals, and they've had several players with 40+ assists

Bridgeport has had players score over 65 points most years the franchise has been in existence, in fact.

Seems like you are getting all your info about Hunter from some sort of press release, and press releases are sometimes incorrect or incomplete.

And, I still don't see all that "hype" you were discussing.

It may be that at that point in time he had set records and they were bested by other players.

I just remember him getting the hype to become a consistant 30 goal 70 point player. Granted I can't remember where I heard it from as it was quite a few years ago.

Suffice it to say he had a good career but unfortunately it seems to have been cut short due to injuries.

Kirk Muller 09-05-2013 04:18 PM

The days of the Ryder and Hunter crap fest on HFboards. Miss those days.

Reaper45 09-05-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VincentD (Post 70817725)
He plays for the Bentley Generals in Alberta. It looks like a Senior AAA league.

Hard to believe no professionnal team wanted him. He was a good depth guy with the Islanders and almost won the Calder trophy in 2004.

http://www.bentleygenerals.ca/league...&clientID=5256

if you watched him in L.A. It's not hard to believe. He was great in the preseason and then floundered during the year. Likeable guy but no gas in the tank anymore.

CREW99AW 09-05-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuolema83 (Post 70821123)
It may be that at that point in time he had set records and they were bested by other players.

I just remember him getting the hype to become a consistant 30 goal 70 point player. Granted I can't remember where I heard it from as it was quite a few years ago.

Suffice it to say he had a good career but unfortunately it seems to have been cut short due to injuries.

I don't recall Hunter getting hyped as a big goal scorer. He was hyped for his bruising style of play and he was on a great contract.

Kuolema83 09-05-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREW99AW (Post 70821705)
I don't recall Hunter getting hyped as a big goal scorer. He was hyped for his bruising style of play and he was on a great contract.

I remember the Bertuzzi-lite comparrisons back in the day. A bruising power forward with good hands.

Analyzer 09-05-2013 05:09 PM

He had some serious hip surgeries (like previously mentioned) and that made his slow as **** with very little hands left to do anything if he managed to catch up to a play.

Sparksrus3 09-05-2013 06:50 PM

His dad would make all the dad road trips. The cameras always showed them all in the stands or suite

Spitsfan67* 09-05-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeziaTML (Post 70812217)

I think he could be on a fourth and maybe 3rd line in Russia and who knows maybe he did have offers from European teams, I just think he was happy with how his career went and he wanted to come home to Canada instead of being an AHL'er or playing In a foreign country...

Guelkey 09-05-2013 09:22 PM

I played against him last year when he was in Bentley. Was probably one of their most useless players. Was slow, played dumb. He did still have a pretty wicked shot.

Ziggy Stardust 09-05-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuolema83 (Post 70821959)
I remember the Bertuzzi-lite comparrisons back in the day. A bruising power forward with good hands.

That's what many were expecting from Brad Isbister every year.

Blackhawkswincup 09-05-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony d (Post 70816245)
Hunter was always a decent depth guy, if he's not retired he'd be a good pick up for any team.

Not really

Was slow before injuries and after injuries he ended up Andrew Brunette like in skating department

Harpo 09-05-2013 11:55 PM

I remember him mostly from the rookie race that year.

What a crappy year. Raycroft, Ryder, Hunter. Only Ryder remains, and he's still only a complementary scorer who swapped teams 5 times since.