HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Calgary - Ottawa (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1494077)

Qward 09-05-2013 05:08 PM

Calgary - Ottawa
 
With Burke talking about making the Flames bigger and Ottawa having problems re-signing Cowen, I wonder if there is a deal that could be made?

To Calgary:
Jared Cowen (sign and trade)
Mark Stone
Colin Greening

To Ottawa:
Sean Monahan


Calgary loses a potential top 3 player, but gains a potential top 3 player in Stone, they get a hard worker in Greening that is defensively sound, fastest player on the Senators, grinds in the corners and can score. He has played on Spezza's wing but can fit on any line. The also get Cowen that has top pairing potential. Some people say he is injury prone, but this is untrue. He injured his knee in his draft year (early predictions had him going top 3) his surgery was 100% successful and has had no further problems. In the AHL he had a torn ligament in his hip. Surgery was done and he came back early and had an immediate impact. He is 6'5, hits like a mac truck, has a boomer of a shot and will drop the gloves in a heart beat. Think rookie Phaneuf.

Ottawa gets a very good young player that they can let develope. It saves Ottawa Greenings 800K and Cowens asking price (somewhere in the high three's.) It also opens up spots for some rookie that are ready to break in.


Thoughts?

Dutchy09* 09-05-2013 05:09 PM

Horrible for Calgary

FlamesFan18 09-05-2013 05:19 PM

Monahan will start his career as a Flame

dwanmaster* 09-05-2013 05:22 PM

Terrible for Calgary

Kezia 09-05-2013 05:25 PM

Pass. Sens dont need a center.

ReNeGaDe87 09-05-2013 05:25 PM

how bout no scottt


flames fans everywhere

Ashasx 09-05-2013 05:25 PM

Cowen's injury history is too concerning, though I am a fan of his.

Qward 09-05-2013 05:26 PM

Ottawa just traded Silfverberg, Noesen and a 1st for Bobby Ryan. A proven 30 goal scorer.

Silfverberg = Greening
Noesen = Stone
1st = Cowen

I am having a hard time seeing how this is horrible for the Flames.

Ashasx 09-05-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qward (Post 70825737)
Ottawa just traded Silfverberg, Noesen and a 1st for Bobby Ryan. A proven 30 goal scorer.

Silfverberg = Greening
Noesen = Stone
1st = Cowen

I am having a hard time seeing how this is horrible for the Flames.

Silfverberg>>>Greening
Noesen>>Stone
1st<<<Cowen

Doesn't add up to me.

Vipers31 09-05-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qward (Post 70825737)
Ottawa just traded Silfverberg, Noesen and a 1st for Bobby Ryan. A proven 30 goal scorer.

Silfverberg = Greening
Noesen = Stone
1st = Cowen

I am having a hard time seeing how this is horrible for the Flames.

It's a weird way of putting it together (Cowen ~ Silfverberg, Noesen > Stone, Greening ~ 1st), but I agree with you - "horrible" is way too harsh in terms of pure value. Flames fans are just (and to a degree understandably) in love with the idea of Monahan being that exact thing they have been longing for forever, so that was to be expected. :)

TheHudlinator 09-05-2013 05:31 PM

Monahan is a nonstarter.

blankall 09-05-2013 05:36 PM

So let's see.....the Flames trade their most highly rated draft pick ever, before he's even had a chance to play one game for the Flames, for a bunch of lesser pieces.

Edit: Wouldn't a much more realistic idea just be to trade Cowen to the Flames and not try and involve Calgary sending back a much bigger piece.

Djp 09-05-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qward (Post 70825737)
Ottawa just traded Silfverberg, Noesen and a 1st for Bobby Ryan. A proven 30 goal scorer.

Silfverberg = Greening
Noesen = Stone
1st = Cowen

I am having a hard time seeing how this is horrible for the Flames.

The "=" are debateable ....I will leave it alone for a minute.

the concept of a 3 for 1 deal is usually a fair deal.

Calgary is in a rebuilding mode right now. You want the to trade you their top 10 draft pick for 3 surplus players....this isnt going to happen.

If they were already established at center with 2 young Centers and they needs other complementary players then this deal would make more sense. right now it doesnt.

They need a front line Center to rebuild this team.

As for the value of the deal....assume the 1st round pick is around 19-23....

Greening will be a UFA after this season---why does a rebuilding tem want to deal with that? Greening in terms of skill is a 3rd line player at best.

Cowen may be a middle pairing Dman

Stone may be a 2nd line player.


You are asking for a 1st line play for a bunch of extra parts.

Are you willing to trade Zibanejad for a low 1st a UFA after this season who is a 3rd liner at best and a 2nd pairing Dman at best.

FlamesFan18 09-05-2013 05:40 PM

Its not that the value isnt there. Monahan has the highest upside out of all these players and thats exactly what we need especially at center.

Sojourn 09-05-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qward (Post 70825737)
Ottawa just traded Silfverberg, Noesen and a 1st for Bobby Ryan. A proven 30 goal scorer.

Silfverberg = Greening
Noesen = Stone
1st = Cowen

I am having a hard time seeing how this is horrible for the Flames.

I don't think it is. That's a pretty nice package, especially for an as yet unproven Monahan. I wouldn't blame Calgary for saying no to it, but it certainly isn't because it's horrible.

Kezia 09-05-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djp (Post 70826163)
The "=" are debateable ....I will leave it alone for a minute.

the concept of a 3 for 1 deal is usually a fair deal.

Calgary is in a rebuilding mode right now. You want the to trade you their top 10 draft pick for 3 surplus players....this isnt going to happen.

If they were already established at center with 2 young Centers and they needs other complementary players then this deal would make more sense. right now it doesnt.

They need a front line Center to rebuild this team.

As for the value of the deal....assume the 1st round pick is around 19-23....

Greening will be a UFA after this season---why does a rebuilding tem want to deal with that? Greening in terms of skill is a 3rd line player at best.

Cowen may be a middle pairing Dman

Stone may be a 2nd line player.


You are asking for a 1st line play for a bunch of extra parts.

Cowen is a may be 2nd pair but Monahan is a 1st line player? ok....

Roof Daddy 09-05-2013 05:46 PM

I think the player value is there, but don't see why either team would do it. Sens are a playoff team with excellent C depth. Flames believe they have their franchise player in Monahan and are just starting their rebuild.

MuffinMerc 09-05-2013 05:50 PM

The Flames trade away a center with first line upside? The Flames don't touch this offer with a stick.

SaintMorose 09-05-2013 05:57 PM

I love the idea of going after Cowen and Stone as they would be a huge boost to our org's under 25 players; but we can't give up on Monahan at this point.
Highest drafted player we've had and has the character to back it all up.

If Ottawa was going to make a run this year and wanted roster players for those 2 at the deadline that would make a lot more sense.

HighLifeMan 09-05-2013 06:01 PM

Value wise it is more than fair for Calgary, however they have absolutely no incentive to trade a player that could potentially be that center they have been looking for since Joe Nieuwendyk was traded to Dallas.

Pass.

Necropolis 09-05-2013 06:06 PM

I love how people are saying this is terrible for Calgary...

Jared Cowen - potential top-pairing shutdown defenseman, very physical. Already has NHL experience.
Mark Stone - potential top-6 forward who has solid all-around game and grit, has AHL experience and has played couple of games in NHL.
Colin Greening - very good defensive 3rd liner who's a hard worker.

for

Sean Monahan - potential first line two-way center, hasn't played one professional game yet

I know that Flames are rebuilding and Monahan is one of the key pieces for their future but value wise Flames should take this and run. No way that Sens do this.

NextSportStar 09-05-2013 06:08 PM

Tough to read IMO from both teams.. there's valuable to be had but too many question marks going both ways.

blankall 09-05-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedman77 (Post 70826923)
I love how people are saying this is terrible for Calgary...

Jared Cowen - potential top-pairing shutdown defenseman, very physical. Already has NHL experience.
Mark Stone - potential top-6 forward who has solid all-around game and grit, has AHL experience and has played couple of games in NHL.
Colin Greening - very good defensive 3rd liner who's a hard worker.

for

Sean Monahan - potential first line two-way center, hasn't played one professional game yet

I know that Flames are rebuilding and Monahan is one of the key pieces for their future but value wise Flames should take this and run. No way that Sens do this.

The higher upside is worht more to a rebuilding team. The Flames have plenty of potential this and that in their system. They need the #1 centre.

No one was saying that Ottawa wasn't offering value.

Basically, the deal breaks down into:

Mid 1st + 2 late 1sts/2nd rounders for a high 1st. When was the last time any team, especially a rebuilding one made a trade like that, that wasn't forced.

Necropolis 09-05-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blankall (Post 70827205)
The higher upside is worht more to a rebuilding team. The Flames have plenty of potential this and that in their system. They need the #1 centre.

No one was saying that Ottawa wasn't offering value.

Basically, the deal breaks down into:

Mid 1st + 2 late 1sts/2nd rounders for a high 1st. When was the last time any team, especially a rebuilding one made a trade like that, that wasn't forced.

I didn't mean that Flames should do this. As I said in my post value wise they should do this - but if you look at their needs and their situation they definitely shouldn't. I doubt that neither team wants this deal.

Habsawce 09-05-2013 06:34 PM

Calgary, a team who hasn't had a legitimate #1 centre in 20 years is going to trade away the prospect they just drafted who they believe can fill this role for - wait for it

a #3 defenseman and 2 bottom 6 forwards. Yikes.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.