HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Mark Scheifele and Jacob Trouba (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1495031)

viper0220 09-08-2013 09:21 AM

Mark Scheifele and Jacob Trouba

After watching the young stars tournament, what do you guys think of Scheifele and Trouba? Will they make the Jets team or is it too early to tell? Are they ready for the NHL or you have not seen a lot yet?

puck stoppa 09-08-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper0220 (Post 70899157)
After watching the young stars tournament, what do you guys think of Scheifele and Trouba? Will they make the Jets team or is it too early to tell? Are they ready for the NHL or you have not seen a lot yet?

Schief dominated this tourney two years ago, and then dominated preseason as well. Hope they both make it and I think they will, but I trust whatever management decides.

koth 09-08-2013 09:31 AM

I think Scheifele will, but we will need to see Trouba in preseason games. Trouba seemed to be trying really hard to create offense and it burned him once. A couple more times he almost coughed it up in front of our net while trying to make a move. I'm not sure if that's just bad decision making or he didn't have anyone to pass to because its a new team or he was jus trying to show his offensive potential. But if he tries to do that a few times in the NHL, forwards are going to have a book on that move and take advantage of it.

AriIQ 09-08-2013 10:47 AM

Trouba is still playing like he is at Michigan. I think we will see him play a little more conservative when he's playing against older, better players whom he doesn't feel like he can get the upper hand on as easily.

BigTuna49 09-08-2013 10:49 AM

Scheifele will make it no problem. They're clearly seeing what else he can do besides put up points.

Trouba will need a little seasoning and I think he starts the year in St. Johns to polish his game some before he gets a taste of the NHL.

Channelcat 09-08-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTuna49 (Post 70900519)
Scheifele will make it no problem. They're clearly seeing what else he can do besides put up points.

Trouba will need a little seasoning and I think he starts the year in St. Johns to polish his game some before he gets a taste of the NHL.

I think Scheifele still looks weak on his skates, falling down etc. I realize he's been working with G Roberts.......but you just can't fix that. Trouba on the other hand will be a top 4 defenseman, probably a top 2 in my opinion.

sipowicz 09-08-2013 11:17 AM

Mark Scheifele and Jacob Trouba: Scheff in tough to crack the Jets and Trouba will be playing in St. Johns

surixon 09-08-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Channelcat (Post 70901015)
I think Scheifele still looks weak on his skates, falling down etc. I realize he's been working with G Roberts.......but you just can't fix that. Trouba on the other hand will be a top 4 defenseman, probably a top 2 in my opinion.

He hasn't fallen over that much in this tournament and expecting him to fully correct the problem in one offseason is a bit optimistic. He should make the team this year. Trouba could go either way at this point imo.

jimmycrackcorn 09-08-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sipowicz (Post 70901137)
Mark Scheifele and Jacob Trouba: Scheff in tough to crack the Jets and Trouba will be playing in St. Johns

Sip, with all due respect - what have you been "sipping" :help:

HannuJ 09-08-2013 11:34 AM

Scheifele's on the team. he has to play himself OFF it in training camp. He's the 2 or 3rd line centre. end of story.

Trouba will be interesting. I fully expect him to make the team as the 5-7 D-man unless he stinks it up during pre-season. even if he's up here practicing with the pros for 1-2 weeks, i'm fine with that. if he's in St John's, i don't see us having the depth to aim for a playoff run with what we currently have on D.

bazaaa* 09-08-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koth (Post 70899309)
I think Scheifele will, but we will need to see Trouba in preseason games. Trouba seemed to be trying really hard to create offense and it burned him once. A couple more times he almost coughed it up in front of our net while trying to make a move. I'm not sure if that's just bad decision making or he didn't have anyone to pass to because its a new team or he was jus trying to show his offensive potential. But if he tries to do that a few times in the NHL, forwards are going to have a book on that move and take advantage of it.

Agree. Scheif should be ready. Trouba probably not, but I can't wait to see him preseason. Will they do the same with him they did with Scheif last year? Let him play as many as they can before sending him down? Can they do that?

viper0220 09-08-2013 12:09 PM

With what I have seen and heard, I think both will(should) start in St. John's and at least spent half a season in St. John's. I don't think Mark Scheifele or Jacob Trouba are ready for the NHL just yet, don't rush(why rush) and make them earn their spots on the team.

truck 09-08-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surixon (Post 70901259)
He hasn't fallen over that much in this tournament and expecting him to fully correct the problem in one offseason is a bit optimistic. He should make the team this year. Trouba could go either way at this point imo.

I have seen him tumble quite a bit.

KingBogo 09-08-2013 12:29 PM

The door is wide open for Scheifele. He would pretty much have to play his way off the team not to stick. The team has been constructed to give him every opportunity at #2 C. IMO Trouba will start with the big club and likely bounce back and forth a bit, but has the talent to be a regular by season's end.

Guerzy 09-08-2013 12:52 PM

I'm pretty impressed with how much bigger Scheifele looks. Quite noticeable from last season and especially 2 years ago. Very happy about this.

gibber1600 09-08-2013 12:54 PM

My brother is a linesman and worked both Jet games. I asked him if anyone stood out and his response was.......Touba.

jimmycrackcorn 09-08-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibber1600 (Post 70903853)
My brother is a linesman and worked both Jet games. I asked him if anyone stood out and his response was.......Touba.

Your brother is a very smart man !!!

I said back in early July after I watched Trouba at the rookie camp that he would not spend a minute on the Rock. I stand by that statement.

Jet 09-08-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn (Post 70904823)
Your brother is a very smart man !!!

I said back in early July after I watched Trouba at the rookie camp that he would not spend a minute on the Rock. I stand by that statement.

You are going to be so disappointed.

All you have to do is look at the Jets defense and contracts. He will be in St. John's at least part of the year. He won't just have to show he belongs, he will have to be the Jets best defenseman for the entire preseason AND his 9 games if he is going to avoid St. John's. That is a very tall order, even for a great prospect like JT

jimmycrackcorn 09-08-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet (Post 70905433)
You are going to be so disappointed.

All you have to do is look at the Jets defense and contracts. He will be in St. John's at least part of the year. He won't just have to show he belongs, he will have to be the Jets best defenseman for the entire preseason AND his 9 games if he is going to avoid St. John's. That is a very tall order, even for a great prospect like JT

Huh???

Why would he have to be the best defenseman? If he was the 4th best are you saying that wouldn't be good enough to stick with the big club? If so, I disagree with your conclusion.

I guess we will just have to wait and see Jet. If I was a betting man I'd put my money on #3 staying with the Jets this year.

PaperRockChamp 09-08-2013 01:57 PM

Trouba plays mean.. I love how he clears the crease and protects our goalie, the extra shots he gives when he lays someone down, etc.. I kind of hope him and Scheif play in STJ together this year. In a meaningless game, I saw the same Scheif that I saw in WJC last Christmas. He may still have a ways to go... He's stronger now but he still needs to work on balance/center of grav and learn how to absorb checks and pushes to stay on his skates.

I'm leaning toward St. John's for both. Trouba is an amazing player to watch. He has the fight in him that our roster is missing.

Guerzy 09-08-2013 02:01 PM

I don't expect Trouba to be the best defenceman, but if he is the best 4th, 5th or 6th guy, he better be here above those he outplayed. I want the best players taking the jobs and wearing the Jets jersey. Period. No matter who has what contract. If you show well, and earn it, you better be here.

DespoticNewt 09-08-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn (Post 70905879)
Huh???

Why would he have to be the best defenseman? If he was the 4th best are you saying that wouldn't be good enough to stick with the big club? If so, I disagree with your conclusion.

I guess we will just have to wait and see Jet. If I was a betting man I'd put my money on #3 staying with the Jets this year.

He will need to learn defensive systems against lesser opponents first, if his play at the tourney is any indication. Yes, he's very good defensively, but he has a tendency of being a bit of a freelancer. He needs the maturity to know when to engage in the play. I expect him to spend time in St. John's to start the year, as we have a roster full of D that ought to be ahead of him.

BigZ65 09-08-2013 02:26 PM

Trouba has all the skills, and that has been evident through both games. My concern is that he doesn't develop into Phaneuf, a phenomenally talented guy who is impatient and doesn't recognize the play. I think our organization needs to guard against that. Trouba looks really good against his peers, and he can take more risks, but it won't be that easy in the big league.

garret9 09-08-2013 02:31 PM

If Trouba is 4-6 keep. If he's 7-8 go to the rock.

If Scheif is 2C or 3C keep. If not go to the rock.

jimmycrackcorn 09-08-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garret9 (Post 70907811)
If Trouba is 4-6 keep. If he's 7-8 go to the rock.

If Scheif is 2C or 3C keep. If not go to the rock.

Vito. I agree 100%.

And listening to an interview with Chevy from a few months back - I believe that the Jets are committed to putting the best team possible on the ice.

So, if you are the 5th best defenseman and 3rd best center - you will be on the roster.