HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Training Camp is Here! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1496225)

UsernameWasTaken 09-10-2013 07:13 PM

Training Camp is Here!

Training camp starts tomorrow - they are having their physicals at the United Centre. They will be on the ice on Thursday at Notre Dame.

Stories to watch...

Quote:

Spots open up front: All seven defensemen return from last year’s championship squad, as does the main man between the pipes in Corey Crawford, but look for a few veteran Rockford IceHogs to compete for a handful of spots among the Blackhawks’ forward corps.
Ben Smith, who played one game in the Stanley Cup Final against Boston, Jimmy Hayes, Jeremy Morin and last season's AHL scoring leader Brandon Pirri have all spent multiple seasons in the American Hockey League, and will be fighting for the chance to start the year with the big club. Also in the discussion are 2013 free agent signee Drew LeBlanc, the NCAA’s reigning Hobey Baker Award winner, as well as 2011 first-round picks Mark McNeill and Phillip Danault, who might impress enough to get longer looks in camp.

Teuvo’s time: Finnish phenom Teuvo Teravainen, the 18th overall pick in 2012, will almost certainly be one of the most carefully watched rookies in camp. Though the 19-year-old winger has spent very little time on the North American ice surface, his raw skills and dynamic game have created a buzz already.

The new core: While names like Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane and Duncan Keith have been name-checked in the Blackhawks “core” since early in their careers, re-signed players Bryan Bickell, Corey Crawford and Niklas Hjalmarsson—all of whom were given long-term extensions over the summer—are now de facto members of that prestigious group as well. How well they handle the weight of their new contracts and heightened expectations that come with them may be key factors in determining how far the Blackhawks go this season. The expectation is that the best is yet to come.

Minding the net: With Ray Emery’s departure to Philadelphia, the Blackhawks brought in veteran Nikolai Khabibulin for another tour of duty in Chicago, backing up entrenched starter Crawford. The depth chart behind the veteran is much more interesting: Finnish league MVP Antti Raanta, WHL standout Mac Carruth and 2010 draftee Kent Simpson all could get the starting nod for Rockford, and depending on their play, any one could be next in line for an NHL call-up should an injury occur.

First-timers: While all would safely be considered long shots to make the roster, the camp will feature the first NHL appearances for 2013 first-round pick Ryan Hartman; 2012 picks Travis Brown, Dillon Fournier and Brandon Whitney; 2011 draftees Adam Clendening, Maxim Shalunov and Alex Broadhurst; and 2010 selection Joakim Nordstrom. Most will return to Rockford or their respective junior clubs after camp, but their performance against top-flight talent will be a good measuring stick for Blackhawks management to see what they have in these touted players.
http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news....id=DL|CHI|home

unbridledid 09-11-2013 07:54 AM

I am hoping Kyle Beach has a strong camp and takes a spot on the 4th line...

Kurtosis 09-11-2013 08:08 AM

I'm hoping Kyle Beach doesn't do something idiotic and injure someone.

jrc494 09-11-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurtosis (Post 70997419)

Probably a little more realistic goal.

Sleight Of Hand 09-11-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurtosis (Post 70997419)

That is a stretch. He will probably try to fight TT or something like that and blow TT's knee out in the process.

xX Hot Fuss 09-11-2013 12:00 PM

If TT has an outstanding camp is there a chance he sees some NHL time this year?

Also hoping Danault looks great

digdug41982 09-11-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss (Post 71002641)
If TT has an outstanding camp is there a chance he sees some NHL time this year?

Since the season in Finland ends first, yeah, there is a chance he comes up late.

wladyslaw 09-11-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss (Post 71002641)

I could see TT having great camp- hawks playing him the first 4-6 games- and then making decision-

I also could see the Hawks just letting him develop one more year- cuz they really don't NEED him yet (although I say the PP is 3-5% better w TT- instantly).
Financially- the Hawks are better off letting him play in Finland and controlling his low budget ELC for another year longer.

Sleight Of Hand 09-11-2013 12:33 PM

I thought it was pretty much set he was going to play in Finland this year.

Sarava 09-11-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flapjacks (Post 71003667)
I thought it was pretty much set he was going to play in Finland this year.

I thought there was an agreement for this as well.

Illinihockey 09-11-2013 03:53 PM

Saad is starting the year at center. Open up a spot for TT on the wing?

UsernameWasTaken 09-11-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illinihockey (Post 71011717)
Saad is starting the year at center. Open up a spot for TT on the wing?

Possibly. Not in the top 6 if they want Bickell there...maybe on the 3rd line?

...but it sounds like he's in Finland for the season...even though I want him to be on the team SO SO BAD :laugh:

Cullksinikers 09-11-2013 04:28 PM

They don't need TT yet. No need to rush a guy's development to have an unnecessary surplus. He will be ready for the 2014-15 campaign and be great.

UsernameWasTaken 09-11-2013 05:09 PM

No Teuvo?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/705e69756...sz0o1_1280.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cullksinikers (Post 71012945)
They don't need TT yet. No need to rush a guy's development to have an unnecessary surplus. He will be ready for the 2014-15 campaign and be great.

I know. But still...

Leehh 09-11-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken (Post 71014435)

Right next to Quenne

Hawkaholic 09-11-2013 06:06 PM

Out of all major sports, I don't think you can find 50+ better athletes on the same team in the same photo.

Kurtosis 09-11-2013 06:22 PM

Yeah, that picture sends shivers down my spine. I'm so ****ing excited.

wladyslaw 09-11-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leehh (Post 71014741)
Right next to Quenne

TT has great IQ- standing next to Coach Q! That-a-boy!!!

Who is the Huge kid in front of Q? That guy has some monkey arms!

And is it just me- or does Keith in the middle/bottom row- look like he is Doing a "Hans and Franz" muscle pose with that left bicep?

HockeySensible 09-11-2013 09:09 PM

The big dude in front of Q, to his right, is Klas Dahlbeck. He looks like he's put on some muscle. Good on him.

Sevanston 09-11-2013 10:52 PM

It was the shortest possible summer and it still felt too long.

Glad hockey is coming back.

wladyslaw 09-11-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeySensible (Post 71022011)
The big dude in front of Q, to his right, is Klas Dahlbeck. He looks like he's put on some muscle. Good on him.

Klas is listed @ 6'2" and 194 lbs. looks bigger than both Seabs and Bolig.
I'd say he's put on some muscle this summer.

He put up some good +/- for Hogs last year. I will have to watch his skating closely this year.

Sir Psycho T 09-11-2013 11:24 PM

BEL4SEPICMULLET 09-12-2013 09:19 AM

[QUOTE=

And is it just me- or does Keith in the middle/bottom row- look like he is Doing a "Hans and Franz" muscle pose with that left bicep?[/QUOTE]

As Karl Welzien a.k.a. @dadboner on twitter would say, he's flashin' a 'cep.

clydesdale line 09-12-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Tracey Myers ‏@TramyersCSN 23m

Hossa: "My back is much stronger, much better, and that’s the key. I wouldn’t be skating or having contact if I had doubt." #Blackhawks
Thank god. This sucks though..

Quote:

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 20m

Hossa knows he'll have to deal with back pain and extra stretching for the rest of his career. "The rest of my life," he smiled. #Blackhawks

Hawkaholic 09-12-2013 03:42 PM

Meh, gives us a reason to put him on LTIR when he get's closer to the end, instead of him retiring and leaving us with a large cap hit.