HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Hockey News has us 4th in division that could challenge for first (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1497447)

johnnyboo 09-13-2013 11:06 AM

Hockey News has us 4th in division that could challenge for first

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...Canadiens.html

"As long as they’re healthy, the Habs will challenge at least for a playoff spot, if not the top of the division"

poetryinmotion 09-13-2013 11:10 AM

Subban with 63 points? Hello again Norris.

Madevilz 09-13-2013 11:13 AM

PERIPHERAL PREDICTION: Longest streak of Montrealís season: Brendan Gallagherís consecutive days smiling.

<3

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* 09-13-2013 12:26 PM

I kinda agree with this

FlyingKostitsyn 09-13-2013 12:29 PM

Nice, its rare to see read things about the Habs.

Whitesnake 09-13-2013 12:29 PM

Key departures as in.....departures? Are everybody on that list really...Key?

PricePkPatch* 09-13-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesnake (Post 71072533)

That says just how little we've lost.

Strik_IX 09-13-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesnake (Post 71072533)

They listed Tarnasky as a key addition, I think they could've simply dropped the word "key" altogether :P

MasterDecoy 09-13-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madevilz (Post 71070417)
PERIPHERAL PREDICTION: Longest streak of Montrealís season: Brendan Gallagherís consecutive days smiling.

<3

haha that killed me

Mats NAslund 09-13-2013 03:36 PM

Hate to the pessimist around here but Montreal is not making the playoffs.

In no particular order these teams will all finish ahead of the Habs this year

Detroit
Ottawa
Boston
Toronto
NYR
Pitt
Philly
WSH

then you have teams that are similar to Montreal

Columbus
Buffalo
NYI
Carolina

Montreal will be in a dog fight for the 9th spot let alone number 8

Last year was a fluke, had it been a full regular season Montreal would have missed the playoffs and would have been better for it.

Expectations are now through the roof and the on ice product cannot meet that expectation.

hototogisu 09-13-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mats NAslund (Post 71078095)

Detroit
Ottawa
Boston
Toronto
NYR
Pitt
Philly
WSH

Columbus
Buffalo
NYI
Carolina

Last year was a fluke, had it been a full regular season Montreal would have missed the playoffs and would have been better for it.

Expectations are now through the roof and the on ice product cannot meet that expectation.

So basically just about all the teams who made it last year are going to make it again this year, except the Habs, who will do much much worse? Seems reasonable.

NickW 09-13-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Detroit
Ottawa
Boston
Toronto
NYR
Pitt
Philly
WSH

Columbus
Buffalo
NYI
Carolina

If you hate being a pessimist then why are you being a pessimist? No basis for your argument. We are better than all of the teams you listed as us being 'around the same as' and several of the teams you listed above us.

Don't do what you hate man. Go with your heart. Be positive. Positivity!!!!!! :p:

MasterDecoy 09-13-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Detroit
Ottawa
Boston
Toronto
NYR
Pitt
Philly
WSH

Columbus
Buffalo
NYI
Carolina

philly was borderline lottery and now they're not? and Washington is now moving to the toughest 'division' in 'the east' where they won't be able to feed off of the gargantuanly terribad southeast are still gonna be great?

but no, we will suck though. winning the division was a fluke - and before you cite our great playoff run last year, i'd simply ask you to go back, do your homework and look at our injuries. tyvm

and lol at toronto being better than us gimme a ****ing break

WeThreeKings 09-13-2013 03:59 PM

People underestimate the loss of Alfredsson to Ottawa.

Dr Gonzo 09-13-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 71078245)
So basically just about all the teams who made it last year are going to make it again this year, except the Habs, who will do much much worse? Seems reasonable.

:laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeThreeKings (Post 71078805)

They did add a legitimate top 6 player to replace him though, but I agree, he's a big loss.

Not sure Spezza is going to be a very good leader. He's more of a wet-noodle gigglemonster than a captain.

overlords 09-13-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo (Post 71078977)

They did add a legitimate top 6 player to replace him though, but I agree, he's a big loss.

Not sure Spezza is going to be a very good leader. He's more of a wet-noodle gigglemonster than a captain.

They also lost silfverberg's pretty decent production, which no doubt would have been even greater this year. They may just break even on that trade in the short term.

Habs 09-13-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Seems to me they replaced that.

hototogisu 09-13-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs (Post 71079835)

If you believe the only value hockey players bring to their team is points, sure.

ArtPeur 09-13-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 71079579)
They also lost silfverberg's pretty decent production, which no doubt would have been even greater this year. They may just break even on that trade in the short term.

Add Michalek, Karlsson and Cowen that didn't play much last year, Zibanejad who's progessing, MacArthur who's been decent with TO, etc.

Their D doesn't look great but heck... they almost had an AHL team last year, they made the playoffs and beat us in the 1st round.

Alfredsson will be a big leadership loss but they have a great coach, so I wouldn't be surprised if they finish ahead of Montreal in the rankings.

(if Cowen signs though)

Mrb1p 09-13-2013 04:45 PM

To do that, we will need some contribution from our Defense as a corp.

MXD 09-13-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo (Post 71078977)

The problem is that they also lost another Top-6 forward while doing so.

Vinny41 09-13-2013 04:55 PM

Goaltending has to be consistant

WeThreeKings 09-13-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs (Post 71079835)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 71079895)
If you believe the only value hockey players bring to their team is points, sure.

Says it all.

Lafleurs Guy 09-13-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Detroit
Ottawa
Boston
Toronto
NYR
Pitt
Philly
WSH

Columbus
Buffalo
NYI
Carolina

I don't think so. I think we'll be in the playoffs. And I think you're being pessimistic. I also don't agree with the way you see how we stack up against other teams here either.

Our D still scares me though.
Quote:

I've never been a big fan. Back when they were contenders Hossa was always better and would show up in the playoffs. Even with Belfour standing on his head Hossa was at least in the games. Alfie just never seemed to be there.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 71079895)

Never been all that impressed with Alfie. He's been there a long time but I don't think they'll miss him. And I think Bobby Ryan will more than make up for his absence.

Lshap 09-13-2013 05:30 PM

The biggest deciding factor in our division -- by far -- will be how the goalies respond to a full season. Look at Montreal's competition: Boston and Ottawa went as far as they did because of strong goaltending, but neither Anderson nor Rask has ever played nearly as well over a full season. It's one thing to start 30-40 games, another thing entirely to play 60-70 games -- these guys have proven zero over that longer span. Toronto is in the same boat, with two part-timers in a potential dogfight for the top spot. It may energize Reimer and Bernier, or it may leave a gaping weak spot.

On the other hand, as erratic as Price was for a few weeks, he's the only goalie in that group who has proven he can excel over an entire season. The guy's a workhorse who had his best season when he played 72 games.

Ottawa's offence may improve marginally, but I predict a fallback on goaltending and less success as a team than many expect. Rask may keep Boston's GA down, but I think people underestimate how much they lost in Horton, Ference and Seguin, plus an aging Chara. Still up there, but not elite. Toronto is in for a rude reality check, IMO. Montreal should make the playoffs easily, but will be competing against the Islanders and Detroit for the mid-pack positions. Ottawa and Toronto may be bubble teams.