HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Line Combos: The Final 23 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1499655)

TehDoak 09-17-2013 11:42 PM

The Final 23

Just some predictions here:

Foligno-Hodgson-Vanek
Ennis-Larsson-Stafford
Leino-Grigerenko-Ott
Girgensons-Porter-Tropp
Scott

Ehrhoff-Myers
Weber-Pysyk
Tallinder-Ristolainen
McNabb, McBain (kept until 9 game slide period for Risto is over)

Miller
Enroth

Rob Paxon 09-17-2013 11:49 PM

I don't see the organization going back on comments from as recently as a week ago that they don't want Girgensons in the NHL getting 8 minutes a night. That's the problem, because he's playing well enough to earn a spot, but who does he bump out of the top 9? Granted, with this line-up it's more 3A and 3B. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but Darcy just might.

TehDoak 09-18-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Paxon (Post 71247955)
I don't see the organization going back on comments from as recently as a week ago that they don't want Girgensons in the NHL getting 8 minutes a night. That's the problem, because he's playing well enough to earn a spot, but who does he bump out of the top 9? Granted, with this line-up it's more 3A and 3B. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but Darcy just might.

the problem is what happens when Scott is in the lineup and that turns into the 4th line. I'm assuming McBain would be waived once Risto makes it past his 9 game ELC Slide, then we could bring up another forward like Flynn.

Husko 09-18-2013 12:26 AM

Vanek-Hodgson-Foligno
Ennis-Larson/Porter/Girgensons-Stafford
Leino-Grigorenko-Ott
Tropp-McCormick-Kaleta
Scott

Erhoff-Myers
Weber-Pysyk
Talinder-Risto
McBain

Djp 09-18-2013 12:43 AM

Vanek-Hodgson-Foligno
Ennis-Larrson-Stafford
Leino-Grigorenko-Ott
Tropp-McCormick-Kaleta
Scott

Erhoff-Myers
Weber-Pysyk
Talinder-Risto
McBain

the last spot would be between an 8th Dman or a 14th forward. I see them keeping the forward...likely Porter

Jacob582 09-18-2013 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djp (Post 71248879)
Vanek-Hodgson-Foligno
Ennis-Larrson-Stafford
Leino-Grigorenko-Ott
Tropp-McCormick-Kaleta
Scott

Erhoff-Myers
Weber-Pysyk
Talinder-Risto
McBain

the last spot would be between an 8th Dman or a 14th forward. I see them keeping the forward...likely Porter

I thinks this is currently the closest (other than switching Pysyk and Risto) to what Rolston's intention is.

This may change, if the coach finds other line combinations he likes better as we go through the preseason.

I am surprised he hasn't tried pairing Pysyk-Weber and Tallinder-Risto though. Just would make sense from a gritty D on each pairing point of view.

Jame 09-18-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehDoak (Post 71247795)
Just some predictions here:

Foligno-Hodgson-Vanek
Ennis-Larsson-Stafford
Leino-Grigerenko-Ott
Girgensons-Porter-Tropp
Scott

Ehrhoff-Myers
Weber-Pysyk
Tallinder-Ristolainen
McNabb, McBain (kept until 9 game slide period for Risto is over)

Miller
Enroth

Do you seriously not think Kaleta will make the team?

joshjull 09-18-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehDoak (Post 71248339)
the problem is what happens when Scott is in the lineup and that turns into the 4th line. I'm assuming McBain would be waived once Risto makes it past his 9 game ELC Slide, then we could bring up another forward like Flynn.

I'm not sure the ice time will change much. Rolston played Scott far more than Ruff. Scott averaged roughly 8:30 mins his last 10gms and that included a 3 game stretch of 10-11mins a night.

trader11 09-18-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehDoak (Post 71248339)

I could be very wrong but wouldn't Risto's ELC kick in regardless if he's in the NHL or the AHL? I don't think the 9 game limit applies in this case.....it would if he was going back to junior hockey. Or is it different because he is only 18?

SureBabyYes 09-18-2013 07:48 AM

I've been thinking of this for a while and it leaves me no rest... If Hodgeson gets injured, who would fill in as 1C??

joshjull 09-18-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trader11 (Post 71251869)
I could be very wrong but wouldn't Risto's ELC kick in regardless if he's in the NHL or the AHL? I don't think the 9 game limit applies in this case.....it would if he was going back to junior hockey. Or is it different because he is only 18?

It still applies due to his age I believe.

JPurp26 09-18-2013 07:50 AM

Foligno-Hodgson-Vanek
Ott-Grigorenko-Leino
Ennis-Larsson-Stafford
Kaleta-Porter-Tropp
x Scott

*Tropp making it pushes down Flynn
*Porter over McCormick who is waived

Ehrhoff-Myers
Tallinder-Pysyk
Weber-Ristolainen
x McBain, Sulzer

*If Risto sticks, Sulzer is waived

Miller
Enroth

mgeise 09-18-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPurp26 (Post 71252035)
Foligno-Hodgson-Vanek
Ott-Grigorenko-Leino
Ennis-Larsson-Stafford
Kaleta-Porter-Tropp
x Scott

*Tropp making it pushes down Flynn
*Porter over McCormick who is waived

Ehrhoff-Myers
Tallinder-Pysyk
Weber-Ristolainen
x McBain, Sulzer

*If Risto sticks, Sulzer is waived

Miller
Enroth

This is exactly the lineup I was going to post. I can't see them not keeping 8 defensemen if Ristolainen is here to start the season. And, like you, I think that McCormick and Flynn are the odd men out. As much as I like Flynn, the fact that he is waiver-exempt gives Tropp a big advantage in that battle. Though I'm really impressed with Girgensons, Larsson has had a lot more seasoning and I'm more comfortable sliding him into a bottom 6 role right now.

joshjull 09-18-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgeise (Post 71252237)
This is exactly the lineup I was going to post. I can't see them not keeping 8 defensemen if Ristolainen is here to start the season. And, like you, I think that McCormick and Flynn are the odd men out. As much as I like Flynn, the fact that he is waiver-exempt gives Tropp a big advantage in that battle. Though I'm really impressed with Girgensons, Larsson has had a lot more seasoning and I'm more comfortable sliding him into a bottom 6 role right now.

I would argue at this point Larsson is the #2 center. He is getting more ES and overall ice time in preseason than Grigs and I don't see that changing as the season gets here. He is a much more polished and has a strong defensive game.

I've been very impressed with Girgs as well but I don't think he is competing with Larsson for a spot. Right now Girgs isn't in the discussion at center.

gallagt01 09-18-2013 08:26 AM

I'd put money on:

Foligno-Hodgson-Vanek
Ott-Grigorenko-Leino
Ennis-Larsson-Stafford
Tropp-McCormick-Kaleta
Scott

-McCormick kept up for his team-first attitude. Regier said he wanted to surround his younger players in Buffalo with character guys - McCormick is just that. And taking Vanek's comments about McCormick during the summer into consideration, I think he's the guy that's kept.

-Porter, Flynn, Girgensons make up the Amerks' top line.

Ehrhoff-Myers
Weber-Ristolainen
Tallinder-Pysyk
McBain
Sulzer

Miller
Enroth

JPurp26 09-18-2013 08:42 AM

Girgensons will get call up games this year

Jacob582 09-18-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trader11 (Post 71251869)

Players who sign at 18 can slide a year, then slide again at age 19 while playing in the AHL and playing less than 10 NHL games.

Girgensons contract slid last year.

Jacob582 09-18-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gallagt01 (Post 71252701)
I'd put money on:

Foligno-Hodgson-Vanek
Ott-Grigorenko-Leino
Ennis-Larsson-Stafford
Tropp-McCormick-Kaleta
Scott

-McCormick kept up for his team-first attitude. Regier said he wanted to surround his younger players in Buffalo with character guys - McCormick is just that. And taking Vanek's comments about McCormick during the summer into consideration, I think he's the guy that's kept.

Ehrhoff-Myers
Weber-Ristolainen
Tallinder-Pysyk
McBain
Sulzer

Miller
Enroth

Thanks Ron. Nice line-up.

Jame 09-18-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gallagt01 (Post 71252701)
I'd put money on:

Foligno-Hodgson-Vanek
Ott-Grigorenko-Leino
Ennis-Larsson-Stafford
Tropp-McCormick-Kaleta
Scott

Ehrhoff-Myers
Weber-Ristolainen
Tallinder-Pysyk
McBain
Sulzer

Miller
Enroth

I agree... but I'll make one slight change.... I'd rather carry 14 forwards, and keep Porter in the mix, and only 7 D.

Sulzer serves no purpose... if Risto makes the team

McBain is the #7, if Risto proves he's staying...
depth is in Roch (McNabb, Ruhwedel)

If Risto doesn't make the team
McBain is the 6th, and Sulzer is the 7th
depth is still in Rochester

No need to carry 8 defensemen, and leave only John Scott as the extra forward.

Havok89 09-18-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SureBabyYes (Post 71251997)
I've been thinking of this for a while and it leaves me no rest... If Hodgeson gets injured, who would fill in as 1C??

Ennis probably.

sabrefan27 09-18-2013 09:28 AM

I think they will keep 8 defensemen. Rolston has hinted at it. Ristolainen makes it, but they don't want to waive Sulzer or McBain.

Ehrhoff-Myers
Weber-Ristolainen
Tallinder-Pysyk
Sulzer
McBain

At forward, Larsson and Tropp make the team. Porter waived, Girgensons and Flynn sent down.

Jacob582 09-18-2013 09:34 AM

Garth Snow will claim Sulzer. McBain makes to much.

Jame 09-18-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabrefan27 (Post 71254075)
I think they will keep 8 defensemen. Rolston has hinted at it. Ristolainen makes it, but they don't want to waive Sulzer or McBain.

Ehrhoff-Myers
Weber-Ristolainen
Tallinder-Pysyk
Sulzer
McBain

At forward, Larsson and Tropp make the team. Porter waived, Girgensons and Flynn sent down.

Weird that they "wouldn't" want to waive Sulzer... but would be fine waiving Porter (a guy Rolston trusts in a valuable role.

I think they will value having a depth center with competency in his own zone, over Sulzer

I find it very unlikely that Porter isn't in Buffalo in some capacity.

Jacob582 09-18-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jame (Post 71254305)
Weird that they "wouldn't" want to waive Sulzer... but would be fine waiving Porter (a guy Rolston trusts in a valuable role.

I think they will value having a depth center with competency in his own zone, over Sulzer

I find it very unlikely that Porter isn't in Buffalo in some capacity.

I agree mostly. Just wondering about Darcy's paranoia (D-man depth/injuries).

Jame 09-18-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob582 (Post 71254399)
I agree mostly. Just wondering about Darcy's paranoia (D-man depth/injuries).

but we have depth... in Rochester (Ruhwedel, McNabb, JGL)... if we were a team expected to contend, I would agree more with NHL level defensive depth)

But given the state of the franchise, I'd prefer NHL level depth at forward, to push the younger guys for ice time.

Sulzer isn't pushing anyone... he's just a crutch... and it's a crutch we don't need at this stage.

If someone on the blueline goes down with a 2-4 week injury... who do you want getting some ice time? Sulzer? Why?