HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Phi-mtl proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=15008)

BrettHabs24 09-28-2003 07:20 AM

Phi-mtl Rumor

Ron Fournier on CKAC (in Montreal) mentioned that Gainey was in intense talks with Clarke about Primeau coming to Montreal. Fournier said Clarke wants Garon to start with...

Now I really dont understand the part about Garon. Clarke is really high on Esche and they just signed Hackett.. The Habs could use Primeau's size up front, but he is being paid a lot of money. The only way I see this working is if Juneau goes the other way in the package (we have too many centres as it is when Saku comes back)

What are your thoughts?

Goalie27* 09-28-2003 07:52 AM

Hackett sucks. Clarke knows that, so he wants a backup plan for when he gets injured. It couldn't hurt to have Garon, who has been pretty impressive from what I've seen of him. I'd take a tandem of Esche-Garon over Hackett-Esche any day....

Blackshad 09-28-2003 07:56 AM

I hope this is true :P

BrettHabs24 09-28-2003 08:02 AM

So theres no chance Esche could go the other way somehow in the deal?

Histrion 09-28-2003 08:03 AM

I don't know, we would have to give something valuable along with Garon to even have a chance to land Primeau. I like Garon and he's a very good insurance in case Theodore isn't having a great season, like he proved last year. I don't like the prospect of having Fichaud as a backup... Well, we'll say what goes on.

nucks2001 09-28-2003 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awesome`
I don't know, we would have to give something valuable along with Garon to even have a chance to land Primeau. I like Garon and he's a very good insurance in case Theodore isn't having a great season, like he proved last year. I don't like the prospect of having Fichaud as a backup... Well, we'll say what goes on.

You are over valueing Primeau. He is still a big strong center but at this point in his career his is over paid and on the decline. Still valuable but not worth as much as you make him out to.

BrettHabs24 09-28-2003 08:14 AM

I would say Damphousse gets the backup job if Garon is dealt..

Or we could wait for the waiver draft for an experienced backup..

Or sign Garth Snow.. ??

But if Primeau comes, one center must go (Juneau?) We have too many.

Koivu
Ribeiro
Primeau
Perreault
Juneau

Histrion 09-28-2003 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nucks2001
You are over valueing Primeau. He is still a big strong center but at this point in his career his is over paid and on the decline. Still valuable but not worth as much as you make him out to.

The fact is that he is big and everybody knows we desperatly need it, they could force us to overpay.

Histrion 09-28-2003 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrettHabs24
I would say Damphousse gets the backup job if Garon is dealt..

Or we could wait for the waiver draft for an experienced backup..

Or sign Garth Snow.. ??

But if Primeau comes, one center must go (Juneau?) We have too many.

Koivu
Ribeiro
Primeau
Perreault
Juneau

It would be sad to see Ribeiro move down in the depht chart with the kind of preseason he's having and all the efforts he put into cracking the lineup...

jfont 09-28-2003 08:25 AM

can anyone else coraborate (sp?) this rumor???

Souffle 09-28-2003 08:31 AM

Quote:

Ron Fournier on CKAC (in Montreal) mentioned that Gainey was in intense talks with Clarke about Primeau coming to Montreal. Fournier said Clarke wants Garon to start with...

Now I really dont understand the part about Garon. Clarke is really high on Esche and they just signed Hackett.. The Habs could use Primeau's size up front, but he is being paid a lot of money. The only way I see this working is if Juneau goes the other way in the package (we have too many centres as it is when Saku comes back)

What are your thoughts?

The only way this happens is if Gainey has a way to unload Perreault -- otherwise the Habs will have Juneau and Perreault at nearly 5 million for the 4th line center position.

I can't see anyone taking Perreault unless they get to unload their own salary problem in the process. I doubt that anyone would even take him in the waiver draft.

But Primeau would improve the Habs considerably.

Histrion 09-28-2003 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfont
can anyone else coraborate (sp?) this rumor???

The guy said he heard it on Ron Fournier's radio show... that's not a reliable source, but it can make up for a good discussion...

didjuicythat 09-28-2003 08:41 AM

First of all, no need to say I've learned as years went by not to believe Ron Fournier's rumors. Most of the time, he's the one who puts up that stuff by himself. Mind you, he's a great radio animator, but as far as I'm concerned, he's not a reliable source for trade rumors and has never been.

Secondly, I won't comment this rumor, unless someone else who heard about this rumor (maybe someone from Philly) could tell who are the other players involved in these speculations. I'm willing to believe Bobby Clarke is trying to trade Primeau, but what do the Habs have to give in this deal? Not much... and Bob Gainey clearly said he'd keep his player core (which includes Koivu, Theodore, Zednik, Bulis, etc). If you don't consider these guys, you wonder what players could Clarke be interested in, since most of them have low value.

BrettHabs24 09-28-2003 08:42 AM

Ron Fournier is the one who said it though, not some caller...

Well, if Saku could play the wing, then the centers would be:

Primeau
Ribeiro
Perreault
Juneau

Koivu-Primeau-Bulis
Zednik-Ribeiro-Hossa
Ward-Perreault-Audette
Ryder-Juneau-Sundstrom

Doesnt look too bad.

BrettHabs24 09-28-2003 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiggsFan
First of all, no need to say I've learned as years went by not to believe Ron Fournier's rumors. Most of the time, he's the one who puts up that stuff by himself. Mind you, he's a great radio animator, but as far as I'm concerned, he's not a reliable source for trade rumors and has never been.

Secondly, I won't comment this rumor, unless someone else who heard about this rumor (maybe someone from Philly) and could tell who are the other players involved in these speculations. I'm willing to believe Bobby Clarke is trying to trade Primeau, but what do the Habs have to give in this deal? Not much... and Bob Gainey clearly said he'd keep his player core (which includes Koivu, Theodore, Zednik, Bulis, etc). If you don't consider these guys, you wonder what players could Clarke be interested in, since most of them have low value.

Ummm.. Read my original post. Clarke wants Garon.

Primeau doesnt have nearly enough value to take a guy from the Habs' core group that you mentionned..

didjuicythat 09-28-2003 08:47 AM

Quote:

Ummm.. Read my original post. Clarke wants Garon.

Primeau doesnt have nearly enough value to take a guy from the Habs' core group that you mentionned..

I know he wants Garon... but to be realistic, is that close from being enough for us to get Primeau? I don't think so.

BrettHabs24 09-28-2003 08:52 AM

?????

I have seen crazier deals happen when a team wants to dump a guy who has a high salary.

Habsfunk 09-28-2003 08:54 AM

This rumour probably has very little basis to it. CKAC usually just makes things up as they go along just to create animated debate. What's Primeau's contract like anyway?

Habeas Corpus 09-28-2003 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiggsFan
I know he wants Garon... but to be realistic, is that close from being enough for us to get Primeau? I don't think so.

Well, Primeau is grossly over paid. He isn't worth anywhere near 5 mil. Were will he be in five years? Probably retired while garon might be a number 1 goaltender. i'd rather not trade youth for primeau. One of our center's like perreault or juneau has to go the other way. Preferably perreault. primeau could center a nice third line.

Vatican Roulette 09-28-2003 09:27 AM

Quote:

Doesnt look too bad.

keep telling yourself that.

Gags1288 09-28-2003 09:28 AM

I highly doubt the Flyers are interested in dealing Primeau. They are very happy with his play and his line, he's the shut down center now and doing a great job of it. The flyers only need is 2nd line center, so unless they're trying to package him for Koivu, which is not likely, it's not going to happen.

andora 09-28-2003 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gags1288
I highly doubt the Flyers are interested in dealing Primeau. They are very happy with his play and his line, he's the shut down center now and doing a great job of it. The flyers only need is 2nd line center, so unless they're trying to package him for Koivu, which is not likely, it's not going to happen.

but you have one in handzus...:dunno:

GKJ 09-28-2003 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andora's box
but you have one in handzus...:dunno:

Thats what I was thinking. Handzus is better than Primeau right now. Clarke doesn't want to trade him for equal value because he is the captain. The fans however are disgusted and can't wait for him to pack his bags.

Dr Love 09-28-2003 09:51 AM

I love how Primeau's name is being thrown about now, with no indication in the rumor. Why would the Habs deal Garon for an overpaid, underachieving, soon to be UFA?

Cloudigger 09-28-2003 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
I love how Primeau's name is being thrown about now, with no indication in the rumor. Why would the Habs deal Garon for an overpaid, underachieving, soon to be UFA?

well because the habs need size and Primeau will still be better then any others habs centre .. beside koivu of course... tho I agree that trading Garon for Primeau isent a good idea... :dunno: