HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: Joe Thornton's next contract? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1501199)

BiggestLeafsFanEVER* 09-21-2013 03:03 AM

Joe Thornton's next contract?
 
Jumbo Joe's a UFA at the end of the year. Unless a Sharks fan wants to educate me, I'm assuming they will want to keep him if they can.

I was looking on cap geek and noticed that his birthday is July 2, 1979 (so he will turn 35 this year)...so I guess this next contract will be a 35+ contract?

His current AAV is $7m so I would guess he won't insist on that again. At the same time, he is still a fantastic player (and is currently playing at a very high level, especially when you consider his age). I looked up his numbers on Elite Prospects and noticed (I hadn't picked up on this before) that he plays almost all the games every year, he doesn't seem injury prone.

So what is in Thornton's contract future?

I know he is from Southern Ontario, perhaps he is waiting to fulfill a dream of ending his career playing for the Leafs (just as Tavares, Pietrangelo, Stamkos, and Subban hope to do one day).

nhlfan9191 09-21-2013 03:06 AM

Don't get your hopes up as a leaf fan.

Man in the Mirror 09-21-2013 03:13 AM

He really likes 3 year deals

His last three contracts have been:

3 years 20m
3 years 21.6m
3 years 21m



I'll say he re-signs in san jose for 3 years 18m

Numbers 09-21-2013 03:25 AM

Deal will wait for H. Sedin to get done. Will be a good comparable.

TheJuxtaposer 09-21-2013 03:30 AM

He'll re-sign for 3 years at $6M per. Why? Because his last contract was declining. It was 3 years and $7M, with $8M in the first year, $7M in the second year, and $6M this year in salary. So his next AVV won't be above $6M.

And he'll get it done whenever DW wants it done. His brother is his agent. No way he goes anywhere unless there is a mutual parting of ways, which I can't see happening.

JayP812 09-21-2013 03:33 AM

The only way I could see him leaving San Jose is if the Sharks are not contenders and the organization is not willing to pay up. Both are unlikely to happen. He signs a 3 year deal, probably taking a bit of a pay cut, as he has admitted it is Couture's team.

Inub0i 09-21-2013 03:40 AM

Jumbo is taking a pay cut. I second Jux's statement on 6M AAV for 3 years.

Virtanen2Horvat 09-21-2013 04:01 AM

I see him signing 3 years 6M AAV. Possibly traded in the last year of his contract but I see him retiring after as a Shark and staying in San Jose.

digdug41982 09-21-2013 04:05 AM

He won't leave San Jose.

rypper 09-21-2013 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numbers (Post 71361281)
Deal will wait for H. Sedin to get done. Will be a good comparable.

Agreed. Will be very comparable.

Spearmint Rhino 09-21-2013 04:15 AM

People bag on Joe (myself included) cause of his playoff struggles but by the time he retires he'll likely only be behind Mario for points by a 1st overall pick, pretty amazing when you consider the company he's in

I say he balances loyalty with the retirement payday, 5yr $33MM

Colorado Avalanche 09-21-2013 05:07 AM

3 years for 5,5- 6 mil a year. I dont think its unreasonable.

tiger_80 09-21-2013 05:16 AM

He'll be 35, so yes, I think he's likely to sign a cap friendly contract.
If I were to guess 4 years paying him 6, 6, 5, 3 (4M average).

Henkka 09-21-2013 05:31 AM

He'll return to Boston.

Kevin8se7en 09-21-2013 05:32 AM

6x3 is a good deal. Maybe a NTC included

huntison 09-21-2013 05:36 AM

3 year 18 mil

Systemfel 09-21-2013 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 71361341)
And he'll get it done whenever DW wants it done. His brother is his agent. No way he goes anywhere unless there is a mutual parting of ways, which I can't see happening.

Whose brother is whose agent?

Oppa 09-21-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Systemfel (Post 71362175)
Whose brother is whose agent?

Joe Thornton's brother, John Thornton, is his agent

Human 09-21-2013 05:48 AM

the standard 3 years x 7 M contract. I don't see any issues with that.

Barnaby 09-21-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiggestLeafsFanEVER (Post 71361007)
Jumbo Joe's a UFA at the end of the year. Unless a Sharks fan wants to educate me, I'm assuming they will want to keep him if they can.

I was looking on cap geek and noticed that his birthday is July 2, 1979 (so he will turn 35 this year)...so I guess this next contract will be a 35+ contract?

His current AAV is $7m so I would guess he won't insist on that again. At the same time, he is still a fantastic player (and is currently playing at a very high level, especially when you consider his age). I looked up his numbers on Elite Prospects and noticed (I hadn't picked up on this before) that he plays almost all the games every year, he doesn't seem injury prone.

So what is in Thornton's contract future?

I know he is from Southern Ontario, perhaps he is waiting to fulfill a dream of ending his career playing for the Leafs (just as Tavares, Pietrangelo, Stamkos, and Subban hope to do one day).

Oh boy... not this nonsense again.

Ya know, because star players always flock to their hometown areas? If this stuff was true, then Montreal and Toronto would be perennial cup favorites.

Oppa 09-21-2013 05:54 AM

I see DW walking if 7m is the asking price, not that he's unworthy of 7m

Human 09-21-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numbers (Post 71361281)
Deal will wait for H. Sedin to get done. Will be a good comparable.

actually it won't.

the Sedins will take less because they come in a double package.

Rorschach 09-21-2013 05:59 AM

If he wants to win, he'll take a Carter-like deal but for three years in LA. Lord knows we could use another playmaker in LA.

BayStreetBullies* 09-21-2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnaby (Post 71362227)
Oh boy... not this nonsense again.

Ya know, because star players always flock to their hometown areas? If this stuff was true, then Montreal and Toronto would be perennial cup favorites.

Toronto moreso. ;)

Bourne Endeavor 09-21-2013 06:49 AM

3yrs/18M

I doubt Joe even contemplates leaving San Jose, regardless of where the team was. Much like the Sedins saying they were open to saying were the team to rebuild. I suspect Thornton is the same. He'll finish his career in San Jose, where he should.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.