HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Line Combos: Interesting quote from Trotz (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1501671)

predshabs 09-22-2013 09:18 AM

Interesting quote from Trotz

Did anyone else see this? What do you think about it?

"[Joonas] Jarvinen is a big, physical kid who could push for time this year, as will Bryan Rodney," Trotz said. "I think with the three veteran guys we have (Weber, Josi and Klein), you might not see Josi and Weber playing together all the time (as was the case in 2012-13). They'll have to move around with different partners. Some nights you might see Josi and Klein together, and then it might be Josi with Jones or Ekholm and Ellis with Weber."

NoNecksCurse 09-22-2013 09:40 AM

dont agree with that at all. leave weber/josi together.

kypredsfan 09-22-2013 09:55 AM

Yeah I saw that. Sounds pretty dumb to me. Why not just keep Weber/Josi paired and have Jones/Klein work together full time?

glenngineer 09-22-2013 10:44 AM

It's not a bad idea. That way we're assured of having one of Weber, Josi or Klein on the ice at all times. Much like Anaheim did with Pronger and Niedermayer.

INDhockeyfan 09-22-2013 10:59 AM

I think Trotz is worried about the 3rd pairing and wants to put a vet with a rookie at least to start the season. A 3rd pairing that gives up goals doesn't do us any good. What is more interesting is he isn't mentioning Bartley.

torero 09-22-2013 02:55 PM

Funny that he says that !

He was telling Weber and Suter that together, they were worth more than 1 + 1 !
now he is telling : go and make clones !

++

Actually, Weber wants to be leader of his line
So does Josi !

don't know about the others ... so who knows !

++

Possibly with Jones, he is likely to move people against the principle of ancienty ! And is already preparing the field ... to be ready to put together Weber with Jones without hurting sensitivities ...

++

maybe he realized you don't need to have the best in the first line, with the 2nd bests in the 2nd line ...
Now he can put Old guys with young guys and get the best of the two.

Nashville Transplant 09-22-2013 03:22 PM

Not sure what the words "Line Combos" has to do with this post, but... OK :) Defensemen don't skate on lines, they skate in pairings (or pairs) ... but I digress... it's not unusual at all to mix and match your pairings. A defenseman may take a minor penalty, causing a different look, or the second unit on a PP, or the SH pairings... it happens all the time... at least it did in LA for the past 3 or 4 years... Oh wait, I meant 30 or 40...

Paranoid Android 09-22-2013 04:18 PM

I could understand wanting Klein and Josi together. They had instant chemistry and really solidify the 2nd pairing. Weber and Josi didn't mesh at first, and still seem to have some chemistry breakdowns. But who will play with Weber? No one else is ready for that role.

triggrman 09-22-2013 05:46 PM

Wow, doesn't sound like Bartley is a lock afterall....

thecloser 09-22-2013 10:54 PM

I've been saying Jarvinen is going to push for a spot. I hope he makes the big boy roster. 6'3 234lbs. Very physical.

Top 6 Spaling 09-22-2013 11:55 PM

My gameplan:

Weber-Josi~30min
Klein-Jones~20min
Ekholm/Ellis/Bartley/Jarvninen~10min

Persona5 09-23-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecloser (Post 71437233)
I've been saying Jarvinen is going to push for a spot. I hope he makes the big boy roster. 6'3 234lbs. Very physical.

Big and physical is great but can he skate?

Cashville 09-23-2013 08:23 AM

For an 82 game full season, I'm fine with testing out some different pairings early on. Josi played well with Klein during his first set of NHL games two years ago and Jones is a relative unknown right now in terms of what is best for his development and the team as a whole. My gut reaction is that Weber+Josi / Klein+Jones is the optimal choice right now, but I am also not in the locker room / on the ice with these guys. Klein's strong stay home, conservative play should enable Jones to really show off the offensive toolbox in my opinion.

And I know next to nothing about Jarvinen; if he can skate and is not a defensive liability / penalty taking machine like Shane O'Brien was, I'm all for giving him a shot. After Weber, we really have zero physical defenders with grit. Ellis / Klein / Bartley / Josi / Ekholm all have varying and solid skills, but none are guys to fear. I wouldn't sacrifice talent for that fear factor, but it would be nice to have.

Economics 09-23-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Persona5 (Post 71445831)
Big and physical is great but can he skate?

Yes he can. He's not the fastest but fast enough to play in the big league.
But I think they're going to give first games to ellis and ekholm and jarvinen gets his time later.

predshabs 09-23-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nashville Transplant (Post 71413471)
Not sure what the words "Line Combos" has to do with this post, but... OK :) Defensemen don't skate on lines, they skate in pairings (or pairs) ... but I digress... it's not unusual at all to mix and match your pairings. A defenseman may take a minor penalty, causing a different look, or the second unit on a PP, or the SH pairings... it happens all the time... at least it did in LA for the past 3 or 4 years... Oh wait, I meant 30 or 40...

Contact the board and get them to but Defensive pairings title on here.

:sarcasm: I am glad you told me that I have always thought it was called Defense combos. Thanks :shakehead:amazed::sarcasm::p:

but I digress I sorta think it could be ok if we have three lines like this at any given time.

Weber-Jones/Josi
Josi-Ekholm/Bartley/Klein
Klein/Ellis/Ekholm/Bartley/Jarvinen

Adz 09-23-2013 04:19 PM

My guess is Trotz is just messing with their heads and putting them all on the defensive.

preds1 09-23-2013 06:15 PM

Shoot, Trotz had Hanan paired with Weber for a bit last year.
I fully expect there will be some shifting around.

Weber/Josi I obviously like for the top pairing.

But Weber/Josi/Klein/Jones should be the top 4.
Mix and mingle as needed; shaken not stirred.

SavageSteve 09-24-2013 09:35 AM

I think that trying to develop some familiarity early on could pay off when injuries happen. After last season's injury-a-rama, I'd say that it would be a prudent move to be flexible and develop working relationships throughout the pairings that can pay off when guys are caught in pairing changes...

RedeyeRocketeer 10-04-2013 07:24 AM

hey guys, is Ryan Ellis the 7th D this year?

AtlantaWhaler 10-04-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer (Post 71985961)
hey guys, is Ryan Ellis the 7th D this year?

Too early to tell. He sat the first game with both Ekholm and Bartley getting time. I'll guess Ellis and Ekholm swap until we're comfortable. Personally, based on last night, I sit Bartley and pair Ellis with Klein tonight against the Avs, but who knows.

Cashville 10-04-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler (Post 71986037)
Too early to tell. He sat the first game with both Ekholm and Bartley getting time. I'll guess Ellis and Ekholm swap until we're comfortable. Personally, based on last night, I sit Bartley and pair Ellis with Klein tonight against the Avs, but who knows.

I'd sit Ekholm, experiment with a dual-righty Klein + Jones, and finish with Ellis + Bartley. Ellis was solid as a PP QB in the preseason, and last night's PP was all caps TERRIBLE. It's early enough to try it out.

token grinder 10-04-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cashville (Post 71989659)
I'd sit Ekholm, experiment with a dual-righty Klein + Jones, and finish with Ellis + Bartley. Ellis was solid as a PP QB in the preseason, and last night's PP was all caps TERRIBLE. It's early enough to try it out.

Ekholm and jones was our 2nd best pair last night behind the weber-josi duo.

Klein gave up inside position to Sobotka and let up a goal. He was fairly decent other than that gaffe.

If anyone, I would sit bartley vs the Avs. They are not as big as the blues.

triggrman 10-04-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by token grinder (Post 71993257)
Ekholm and jones was our 2nd best pair last night behind the weber-josi duo.

Klein gave up inside position to Sobotka and let up a goal. He was fairly decent other than that gaffe.

If anyone, I would sit bartley vs the Avs. They are not as big as the blues.

I agree.

I predict by years in that will be our 2nd pairing period