HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Lines starting to shake out... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1503247)

silkyjohnson50 09-24-2013 11:54 AM

Lines starting to shake out...

Today's practice lines:

Z-Pav-Abby
Franzen-Weiss-Alfie
Nyquist-Andy-Tatar
Cleary-Emmerton-Sammy

I must say that I'd be pleased with those for the time being. The 4th line is a bit questionable, but if they're out there against opposing 4th lines I'm hoping they can at least play even.

PP units they're practicing:

Z-Pav-Abby
Alfie-Kronner

Franzen-Weiss-Cleary
Sammy-Kindl

The only problem I have here is Cleary instead of Tatar or Nyquist. Why do you need Cleary when you already have Franzen as a net front player, especially if you have Nyquist and Tatar at your disposal?

Hopefully it sorts itself out, but there's another classic example of why many of us didn't want Cleary back with Babcock behind the bench.

But overall I like these lines and units minus one player.

Vladdy84 09-24-2013 11:57 AM

Not having Tatar on either PP unit is criminal. Pretty surprised Bert isn't in the lineup. I'll be very happy if that is the actual 3rd line on opening night. I'll eat up that crow. We Shall See.

4th line is brutal. Would rather have Miller on there. What a slow and soft line.

Jurky 09-24-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 (Post 71502231)
Today's practice lines:

Z-Pav-Abby
Franzen-Weiss-Alfie
Nyquist-Andy-Tatar
Cleary-Emmerton-Sammy

I must say that I'd be pleased with those for the time being. The 4th line is a bit questionable, but if they're out there against opposing 4th lines I'm hoping they can at least play even.

PP units they're practicing:

Z-Pav-Abby
Alfie-Kronner

Franzen-Weiss-Cleary
Sammy-Kindl

The only problem I have here is Cleary instead of Tatar or Nyquist. Why do you need Cleary when you already have Franzen as a net front player, especially if you have Nyquist and Tatar at your disposal?

Hopefully it sorts itself out, but there's another classic example of why many of us didn't want Cleary back with Babcock behind the bench.

But overall I like these lines and units minus one player.

Hallelujah!

Overall I like those lines except the 4th, hopefully the second line gets it done so they don't have to split up d and z

Frk It 09-24-2013 12:00 PM

It's encouraging that the GR line is skating together as the 3rd line. Awesome news.

Very concerning that Cleary is on the 2nd PP unit. That unit was awful last year, and Cleary was a big reason why. He killed possession often once in the zone.

All in all I'm not too mad, since I was expecting much worse.

Assuming these lines are somewhat indicative of what's to happen.

lilja4mvp 09-24-2013 12:03 PM

if cleary plays on the powerplay all season, babcock is officially insane

i mean come on already

Vladdy84 09-24-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frk It (Post 71502471)
It's encouraging that the GR line is skating together as the 3rd line. Awesome news.

Very concerning that Cleary is on the 2nd PP unit. That unit was awful last year, and Cleary was a big reason why. He killed possession often once in the zone.

All in all I'm not too mad, since I was expecting much worse.

Assuming these lines are somewhat indicative of what's to happen.

First practice though. Cleary will slowly make his way up the lines and onto that 1st PP unit :cry:

sully61 09-24-2013 12:04 PM

Cleary, Emmerton, Miller would be my 4th line for who's healthy and with the big club.

I like the first PP unit, but the second is brutal. Take Sammy off totally. Put Smith there instead. Instead of Cleary I'd put Nyquist. Tatar fills in for an injury.

Winger98 09-24-2013 12:11 PM

If these are the lines, I think you're looking at the kid line getting gobs of ES time, as the other three lines soak up special teams time in various combinations. The same with the Quincey/Smith pairing coming off powerplays.

And I don't have a problem with that fourth line, providing Emmerton can be a bit better than he's been the past couple of years. He would have two wings who could put up 15-20 goals, be reliable defensively, and who should be relatively more skilled than the majority of their fourth line opposition - and who wouldn't necessarily get killed if caught out there against another team's top line.

Henkka 09-24-2013 12:16 PM

I could see the power-play will be used like this:

60 secs Zeta - Dats - Akader
30 secs Mule - Weiss - Cleary
30 secs Gus - Andy - Tatar

80 secs Alfie - Kronner
40 secs Sammy - Kindl

Frk It 09-24-2013 12:17 PM

Damn Abby is getting an awesome opportunity this year, he better put up some goals.

Line 1 AND PP1 with Datsyuk and Zetterberg. A lot of guys would kill to get that chance.

Henkka 09-24-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 (Post 71502231)

I think if that's the unit, Cleary is net-front, Weiss is the playmaker and Mule the sniper. If you switch Tatar there, then Cleary off and Mule to net-front.

Frk It 09-24-2013 12:26 PM

So with Miller, Bertuzzi, and Tootoo sitting we're paying 5+ mil for our 13th, 14th, and 15th fwds combined.

That is hilariously bad roster management.

Henkka 09-24-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frk It (Post 71503331)
So with Miller, Bertuzzi, and Tootoo sitting we're paying 5+ mil for our 13th, 14th, and 15th fwds combined.

So you want them to play and sit cheap kids on the bench?

When you have a bunch of great deals throughout the roster, you create a space for mistakes, and it doesn't hurt the team.

Chance on Chance 09-24-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frk It (Post 71503331)

Agree, it was like the 7 million we had sitting in last year's playoffs.
Line wise though I like for the most part. Would switch Miller for Sammy though. Any word on pk units?

Schroedingers Cat 09-24-2013 12:38 PM

I like how with all the outrage about Cleary on the 2nd PP unit, no one notices Mikael "High and Wide" Samuelsson on the point.

The same Samuelsson that basically killed Cleary as a player by breaking his jaw with a slapshot while Cleary was nowhere near the net. A process that was completed when Cleary was given a concussion by Jiri Hudler.

Yeah. That 2nd PP unit is a disaster. It really should be Nyquist-Weiss-Franzen-Ericsson-Kindl. Ericsson-Kindl both have huge slapshots. Samuelsson loves the Holy Slapper but it's slow, inaccurate, and way telegraphed, and once the checking forward blows by him on the line it's shorthanded breakaway city.

TBQH I would rather have any of Ericsson, Smith, Kindl, Dekeyser on the point than Samuelsson.

WingedWheel1987 09-24-2013 12:39 PM

First line is awful.

No surprise that Cleary is rewarded extra ice time even though he doesn't deserve it.

RedWingsNow* 09-24-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladdy84 (Post 71502327)
Not having Tatar on either PP unit is criminal. Pretty surprised Bert isn't in the lineup. I'll be very happy if that is the actual 3rd line on opening night. I'll eat up that crow. We Shall See.

4th line is brutal. Would rather have Miller on there. What a slow and soft line.

Agreed with Tatar on the PP.

Also -- they should put Bertuzzi on line 1, drop Abby to line 4, where he can be center.

Also, I'd bench Samuelsson altogether and use Smith on the PP with Kind.
Sammy might like to shoot -- but he's not accurate and he's too slow when things go wrong -- and they will.

My lines
Zetterberg Datsyuk Bertuzzi
Franzen Weiss Alfredsson
Nyquist Andersson Tatar
Cleary Abdelkader Miller

Kronwall Ericsson
Kindl Dekeyser
Quincey Smith

PP
Z-Datsyuk-Franzen
Kronwall-Alfredsson

Nyqust-Weiss-Tatar
Kindl Smith

PK'
Abdelkader-Miller
Andersson-Cleary
Datsyuk-Zetterberg
Weiss-Alfredsson

Kronwall-Ericsson
Quincey-Dekeyser

RedWingsNow* 09-24-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schroedingers Cat (Post 71503811)
I like how with all the outrage about Cleary on the 2nd PP unit, no one notices Mikael "High and Wide" Samuelsson on the point.

The same Samuelsson that basically killed Cleary as a player by breaking his jaw with a slapshot while Cleary was nowhere near the net. A process that was completed when Cleary was given a concussion by Jiri Hudler.

Yeah. That 2nd PP unit is a disaster. It really should be Nyquist-Weiss-Franzen-Ericsson-Kindl. Ericsson-Kindl both have huge slapshots. Samuelsson loves the Holy Slapper but it's slow, inaccurate, and way telegraphed, and once the checking forward blows by him on the line it's shorthanded breakaway city.

TBQH I would rather have any of Ericsson, Smith, Kindl, Dekeyser on the point than Samuelsson.

Sammy's just there to take down Cleary one more time.

Heaton 09-24-2013 12:44 PM

I don't think that 2nd line PP means anything. Last season players were rotated in and out like crazy.

Heaton 09-24-2013 12:45 PM

Guys, don't wish injury on players - thanks.

RedWingsNow* 09-24-2013 12:45 PM

Can't believe they've got Abdelkader on the first line and the powerplay.

What a load of ****.

There's virtually nobody worse than Abdelkader on this roster -- and he's getting the kind of job that NHL wingers would kill for.

Babcock is a tool

Schroedingers Cat 09-24-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heaton (Post 71504107)
Guys, don't wish injury on players - thanks.

I'm just thinking like Ken Holland! :D

skinneh 09-24-2013 12:46 PM

I agree with most of you.

Top 3 lines are awsome. I am happy.

4th line sucks. But we have no choice.. Cleary has to play somewhere. I rather have Miller then Sammy..

But if those are the lines opening night I will jump for joy! I really want that third line to stay intact.

Heaton 09-24-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWingsNow (Post 71504125)
Can't believe they've got Abdelkader on the first line and the powerplay.

What a load of ****.

There's virtually nobody worse than Abdelkader on this roster -- and he's getting the kind of job that NHL wingers would kill for.

Babcock is a tool

He's looked good there all pre-season. I look forward to seeing how Abdelkader progresses there. Putting a 38 year old Bertuzzi against other team's top lines is asking for 3rd period penalties.

RedWingsNow* 09-24-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heaton (Post 71504073)
I don't think that 2nd line PP means anything. Last season players were rotated in and out like crazy.

That appears to be a constant refrain from you, Heaton.

It obviously means *something* or it wouldn't be on paper.

I think we're going to see a lot of juggling around