HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   40 Bold Philadelphia Flyers Predictions (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1503543)

ShawnTHW 09-24-2013 07:47 PM

40 Bold Philadelphia Flyers Predictions
 
http://thehockeywriters.com/40-bold-...s-predictions/

Which do you agree with? Which ones are TOO bold?

orangecrush8 09-24-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

25. Flyers and injuries go hand in hand. A defenseman will go down for a month. Gervais steps in and becomes one of the best defenseman on the team for a stretch, but will be relegated to 7th defenseman when said defenseman returns from injury.

There is zero chance that happens

Quote:

33. Ray Emery will get more than one loss this season.
Bold? :laugh:

Quote:

30. The Flyers will be undefeated against the Rangers during the regular season.
I really hope so...



I will say, I really hope the one about B. Schenn is wrong

Beef Invictus 09-24-2013 07:51 PM

"14. Their PK, however, will be bottom five."

Barring a complete goaltending collapse...again...I don't see this happening.

TheShaneTrain 09-24-2013 08:33 PM

so we're trading talbot at the deadline...to make room for laughton...who will already be on the team?

well, now I'm confused.

MP92 09-24-2013 08:41 PM

Some of these are very contradictory. For example you say ''Wayne Simmonds will be a 60-point/100-PIM player'' but then later say ''Matt Read will play well enough to overtake the 2nd line RW spot from Wayne Simmonds.''

King Forsberg 09-24-2013 10:30 PM

There's also no all star game next year. Unless you meant Olympic all stars. Some solid predictions in there though.

FlyersFanz 09-25-2013 08:35 AM

I'm thinking 2nd or 3rd in our Division
Some of these predictions happened already in the previous years so I eliminate those due to learning curve

StoneHands 09-25-2013 09:54 AM

You write way too many articles. Seems like you're so eager to get content out that you are just writing for the sake of writing. I don't even want to know how many things you write when the season starts.

Instead of actually making predictions based off of trends, player progressions and other factors, this article looks like you went down the roster and said "hmm, what would be a bold prediction I can make about this guy?". Because you didn't really put much thought into each one, you contradict yourself multiple times.

-You say Laughton makes the team and then later you say Talbot is traded to make room for Laughton.
-You say Schenn will play a bottom 6 roll and Hartnell will lose his spot to Lecavalier on the first line, then who the hell is going to center the second line since you say Couturier gels on the third line?
-You say Read will take Simmonds spot on the second line but also say Simmonds scores 60 points? How would he lose his spot. And you say Hartnell struggles and Schenn is relegated to a bottom 6 roll, why wouldnt he take one of their spots over simmonds who has a great season?
- You then go on to say that Read, Couts, and Akeson will be a good third line. If you say Schenn and Simmonds are bumped to a bottom 6 roll, does that mean they both play on the 4th line?
- Voracek scores a PPG and is top 10 in goals but doesnt make the allstar team (which doesnt exist this year)?
-You say the Flyers will have injury problems, Mason is bad, they are bottom 5 PK, bottom 5 in 5v5, yet they make the playoffs?

I think you would have been better off giving a list of 10 bold predictions and giving a reason why you think they might happen instead of 40 where you had to randomly throw in a bunch of bad jokes (hartnelldowns, coatesys hot dogs, and Rosanne Barr, movember, Emery with more than 1 loss, etc) just to reach some arbitrary number.

The Dream 09-25-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 71522497)
"14. Their PK, however, will be bottom five."

Barring a complete goaltending collapse...again...I don't see this happening.

It would surprise me if there PK was out of the top 10.

Couturier and Talbot are fantastic out there on the PK

Flyerss 09-25-2013 05:29 PM

agree with:
4,6,7,10,13,17,33,36,

bold:
14,5,16

ilovetheflyers8 09-25-2013 07:29 PM

I could see 1-5 perhaps not including Mezsaros playing a full season, 8,9, 11, 15, 19, 24, the first half of 25 haha, but certainly not the second, 31, 32, 35, 36, and 40.

For 21 I can see Raffl being sent down but I don't think Straka will be brought up to replace him. I could see Read doing well enough to replace Simmonds, but I don't think he'll replace him.

JustJim 09-26-2013 08:10 AM

#40 cracked me up! ;)

PropJoe 09-27-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOREacek (Post 71525839)
Some of these are very contradictory. For example you say ''Wayne Simmonds will be a 60-point/100-PIM player'' but then later say ''Matt Read will play well enough to overtake the 2nd line RW spot from Wayne Simmonds.''

Yeah I have a hard time seeing how Voracek will be a top 10 goal scorer, PPG player, and non-Allstar.

Flyersfan1216 09-27-2013 12:17 PM

Couturier continues to stink.

Appleyard 09-27-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyersfan1216 (Post 71632663)
Couturier continues to stink.

Because being our top defensive forward and top Pker, while putting up almost exactly the same PPG as his rookie year, with probably the top 3-5 hardest minutes, and some of the worst zone starts of any centre in the NHL, while playing against the oppositions best line every night, as a 19-20 year old, with the worst, most inconsistent linemates on our team, yet still having the best defensive stats on our team is stinking?

OgbertTheNerd 09-27-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appleyard (Post 71635519)
Because being our top defensive forward and top Pker, while putting up almost exactly the same PPG as his rookie year, with probably the top 3-5 hardest minutes, and some of the worst zone starts of any centre in the NHL, while playing against the oppositions best line every night, as a 19-20 year old, with the worst, most inconsistent linemates on our team, yet still having the best defensive stats on our team is stinking?

I thought I was going to pass out after reading that. :laugh:

But yea, I wouldn't say he stinks, he showed some improvement in the first couple preseason games but was underwhelming last night.

flyerfanish 09-27-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoneHands (Post 71543819)

Instead of actually making predictions based off of trends, player progressions and other factors, this article looks like you went down the roster and said "hmm, what would be a bold prediction I can make about this guy?". Because you didn't really put much thought into each one, you contradict yourself multiple times.

;D I was thinking the same thing. But somehow it was an ok article anyway.

RJ8812 09-28-2013 08:48 AM

my one prediction is that Laviolette is fired by the end of October

Yourself 09-29-2013 08:00 PM

Where is bold prediction number 23? Unless I am blind, I see it as mia.

KJS14 09-29-2013 08:54 PM

5. Although expectations are through the roof, Brayden Schenn will not have a breakout season and will be playing bottom-six minutes by the end of the year.
No.

8. There will be a grand total of 347 #HartnellDown’s in 82 games.
Yes. :laugh:

9. Max Talbot will be traded prior to the trade deadline to make way for Scott Laughton.
No.

14. Their PK, however, will be bottom five.
No.

17. Wayne Simmonds will be a 60-point/100-PIM player.
I wish.

20. Somehow the Flyers make a trade for Keith Yandle and rob the Phoenix Coyotes blind further giving their fans less reason to come out to hockey games.
That would be awesome. Meszaros for Yandle? :sarcasm:

25. Flyers and injuries go hand in hand. A defenseman will go down for a month. Gervais steps in and becomes one of the best defenseman on the team for a stretch, but will be relegated to 7th defenseman when said defenseman returns from injury.
Not even in his dreams.

33. Ray Emery will get more than one loss this season.
Duh.

34. Matt Read will play well enough to overtake the 2nd line RW spot from Wayne Simmonds.
I think he should be the first line LW.

The Palm Isle 09-30-2013 07:40 AM

Ugh, hate this kind of Bleacher Report list-making. Literally anyone who is interested in the Flyers can write this stuff.

I wonder: given the choice between the best Flyers writer (Meltzer) and everyone else, who would most people on this board take?

SchennSational1022* 09-30-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Palm Isle (Post 71740959)
Ugh, hate this kind of Bleacher Report list-making. Literally anyone who is interested in the Flyers can write this stuff.

I wonder: given the choice between the best Flyers writer (Meltzer) and everyone else, who would most people on this board take?

Dude, the guy isnt claiming to have any inside knowledge or anything, hes just giving predictions :laugh:, calm down guy.

FlyersFanz 09-30-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 71664563)
my one prediction is that Laviolette is fired by the end of October

I will give it till November....lol


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.