HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Official Perron Watch Thread (Mod warning #341 copied to OP) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1504821)

EastonBlues22 09-27-2013 12:59 AM

Official Perron Watch Thread (Mod warning #341 copied to OP)
 
This thread is being created to localize the inevitable Perron discussion that will take place throughout the year. If you want to talk about how Perron is doing, or the trade, or any other related topics, then this is the most appropriate place to do so.

Please keep the conversation civil and respectful. Those who are unable to do so will be removed from the conversation at the moderator's discretion.



Mod warning post #341:

Quote:

It's getting awfully personal in here. That stops now, or you'll be removed from the discussion and/or infracted. Since all Perron discussion goes here, that means you will be done talking about it on this board. Attempts to bypass the removal by carrying the conversation to other threads will be deleted and/or infracted.

If you don't like a post, that's not an excuse to go after a poster personally. If you don't like a specific poster, use the ignore function. If you won't do that and you can't stop going after a specific poster, I have the power to put you on forced ignore or outright ban you from this forum. If you think I won't do it, try me.

The thread is a legitimate topic, and one that many Blues fans care about. It also has the nice side benefit of containing all the related Perron discussion in one place so it's easy to avoid if one chooses. If you're tired of the conversation, don't click the clearly marked link.

You have been warned.

Bluesman91 09-27-2013 01:06 AM

I wish Perry the best!

GrandPapillon* 09-27-2013 01:12 AM

5 (pre-season) goals already, and going by the Edmonton boards, the offensive zone penalty thing is still happening. The game against Edmonton at Scottrade should be fun provided he stays away from the Blues goalies.

BlueDream 09-27-2013 01:18 AM

His production is gonna go crashing straight down to Earth.

thedustman 09-27-2013 01:24 AM

I'd enjoy seeing his production soar in Edmonton, and watching our team play better overall with Paajarvi, which would epitomize the essence of the reasoning behind this trade.

JustOneB4IDie 09-27-2013 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandPapillon (Post 71622411)
5 (pre-season) goals already, and going by the Edmonton boards, the offensive zone penalty thing is still happening. The game against Edmonton at Scottrade should be fun provided he stays away from the Blues goalies.

It's only the preseason on Perron's offensive outburst remember that and some things never change. :laugh:

And don't forget that 2nd round pick the Blues get also in the deal, Edmonton still has major issues at Def and Goalie so it could be a high 2nd rounder.

2 Minute Minor 09-27-2013 09:25 AM

It seems like some Blues fans feel threatened by Perron having success elsewhere.

Even if MPS contributes NOTHING, if the Blues make a serious run at a Cup I'll view the move as a success on the whole. I think its going to come down more to team chemistry. There are some new pieces this year (Roy, Morrow, etc) and frankly even Bouwmeester/Leopold were only here briefly last season.

I with Perron all the success, but I'm pretty skeptical of that Edmonton core. Some high-end offensive talent, but I just don't see how it can stand up to a physical game.

Falco Lombardi 09-27-2013 10:10 AM

I'm not going to lie, I've never really liked Perron and part of me kind of wants him to fail to prove I'm right. Petty, yeah but I'm human. Doesn't help that he went to a team I can't stand.

That said, I think he's in a better position to succeed now and will do fine.

I'm probably never going to comment on the trade just because I don't look at trades insofar as who won the trade as most people do. If the Blues are better as a team, I'll view it as a good move and win, even if Perron is outperforming Paajarvi (and I expect he will).

In the long run, I think both players involved will benefit from the change in scenery.

Daley Tarasenkshow 09-27-2013 10:10 AM

IMO this trade is already a success. The second rounder could be used to acquire a player later on, and it freed up needed cap.

Draiskull 09-27-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daley Tarasenkshow (Post 71628731)
IMO this trade is already a success. The second rounder could be used to acquire a player later on, and it freed up needed cap.

This trade allowed you guys to lock up your core. It was never a Paajarvi vs Perron deal. It got you guys a 1.2M 3rd line LWer + 2nd round pick + money for B.Morrow + 1M to go towards resigning of AP.

As Oiler fans we were hoping for someone with size in top 6 to offset all the midgets we have but were not able to land the Clarkson'ish player. Perron deal seemed like a plan B \ an afterthought.. Seems to be working out for EDM with some of our skilled guys out of the lineup and Hall playing C.
Hopefully he works out for EDM when the real season starts.

HooliganX2 09-27-2013 12:37 PM

I don't get or understand the hate for Perron. We traded him now he sucks blah blah.

Perron is a good player. I expect him to get over 60 points this season with EDM. We all know Perron is the better player then MPS. At least anyone with common sense does. The Perron trade was more or less a cap dump. Nothing more nothing less. It allowed the team to make some other moves.

If people look at it was MPS VS Perron it will look bad every time. It's more MPS, Roy, Morrow, 2nd and resigning Pietrangelo.

I personally hate the trade and think we could have got more value back. I don't see MPS as ever being more than a 3rd line player. I essentially feel like we got a 2nd round pick and a depth player for a guy I see scoring 60 points this season.

2 Minute Minor 09-27-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petro Points (Post 71630923)
This trade allowed you guys to lock up your core. It was never a Paajarvi vs Perron deal. It got you guys a 1.2M 3rd line LWer + 2nd round pick + money for B.Morrow + 1M to go towards resigning of AP.

As Oiler fans we were hoping for someone with size in top 6 to offset all the midgets we have but were not able to land the Clarkson'ish player. Perron deal seemed like a plan B \ an afterthought.. Seems to be working out for EDM with some of our skilled guys out of the lineup and Hall playing C.
Hopefully he works out for EDM when the real season starts.

The difference I see is St Louis got a guy that fits their system and Edmonton just got the most talented player they could get....although I don't see how his presence puts Edmonton closer to being a playoff team. Seems the deficits on that roster are unchanged. (No knock on Perron, I just don't see this as a guy they were targeting trading for. The offer was too good to pass up.)

Daley Tarasenkshow 09-27-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petro Points (Post 71630923)
This trade allowed you guys to lock up your core. It was never a Paajarvi vs Perron deal. It got you guys a 1.2M 3rd line LWer + 2nd round pick + money for B.Morrow + 1M to go towards resigning of AP.

As Oiler fans we were hoping for someone with size in top 6 to offset all the midgets we have but were not able to land the Clarkson'ish player. Perron deal seemed like a plan B \ an afterthought.. Seems to be working out for EDM with some of our skilled guys out of the lineup and Hall playing C.
Hopefully he works out for EDM when the real season starts.

Perron can play along the boards and can play like a grinder, that's the one thing a lot of people take for granted. Sure he's got speed and an ability to score, but he can offer some strength too.

GrandPapillon* 09-27-2013 12:56 PM

But it isn't just about re-signing Petro. The difference between what Paajarvi makes and what Perron makes is right around what Jordan Leopold is making. Does anyone remember Leopold in the playoffs last season? Need I say more. The Blues panicked and made a deal where they gave up the better player. Further what Paajarvi is supposed to become is just more of the same defensively responsible, offensively limited players the Blues already have a handful of. If one single, good thing was going to happen out of this trade, it was that Schwartz was going to get more time. Now, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities that Hitchcock overuses his old, reliable Morrow and takes minutes away from Jaden.

Perron will thrive in Edmonton. 60 points is a very realistic possibility. I think that the trade absolutely has the potential to be one of the worst in franchise history, and that is really saying something.

Turrican* 09-27-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandPapillon (Post 71634053)
But it isn't just about re-signing Petro. The difference between what Paajarvi makes and what Perron makes is right around what Jordan Leopold is making. Does anyone remember Leopold in the playoffs last season? Need I say more. The Blues panicked and made a deal where they gave up the better player. Further what Paajarvi is supposed to become is just more of the same defensively responsible, offensively limited players the Blues already have a handful of. If one single, good thing was going to happen out of this trade, it was that Schwartz was going to get more time. Now, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities that Hitchcock overuses his old, reliable Morrow and takes minutes away from Jaden.

Perron will thrive in Edmonton. 60 points is a very realistic possibility. I think that the trade absolutely has the potential to be one of the worst in franchise history, and that is really saying something.

As an Oiler fan... Nothing will beat the Pronger trade for you guys. Absolutely nothing.

GrandPapillon* 09-27-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turrican (Post 71634311)
As an Oiler fan... Nothing will beat the Pronger trade for you guys. Absolutely nothing.

Probably not.

Although, even with Pronger, the teams during those days were going no where. Getting such a terrible return certainly didn't help the rebuild in the slightest though. The Ronning, Courtnall, Momesso deal may have cost the team a Cup.

I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised with how underrated several aspects of Perron's game are. The only thing that I think could stop him from succeeding in Edmonton is another shot to the head.

2 Minute Minor 09-27-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandPapillon (Post 71634053)
But it isn't just about re-signing Petro. The difference between what Paajarvi makes and what Perron makes is right around what Jordan Leopold is making. Does anyone remember Leopold in the playoffs last season? Need I say more. The Blues panicked and made a deal where they gave up the better player. Further what Paajarvi is supposed to become is just more of the same defensively responsible, offensively limited players the Blues already have a handful of. If one single, good thing was going to happen out of this trade, it was that Schwartz was going to get more time. Now, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities that Hitchcock overuses his old, reliable Morrow and takes minutes away from Jaden.

Perron will thrive in Edmonton. 60 points is a very realistic possibility. I think that the trade absolutely has the potential to be one of the worst in franchise history, and that is really saying something.

Get off it with Schwartz/Hitchcock. Hitchcock just raved about Schwartz and talked about moving him to the Berglund line to "get them going". He played on the top line as a rookie in last year's post-season. There is zero evidence of Hitchcock not trusting him or that somehow Morrow is going to steal his minutes.

Schwartz will get all the ice time he's earned. We'll see if Morrow has it in him to be a top line player. My suspicion is that he is SOME of the time, but won't hold up as the season wears on. Morrow bumped MPS, I could buy that argument. But Schwartz is being used in the same way Steen has been used....plugged into a line to get it back on track.

HooliganX2 09-27-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor (Post 71635323)
Get off it with Schwartz/Hitchcock. Hitchcock just raved about Schwartz and talked about moving him to the Berglund line to "get them going". He played on the top line as a rookie in last year's post-season. There is zero evidence of Hitchcock not trusting him or that somehow Morrow is going to steal his minutes.

Schwartz will get all the ice time he's earned. We'll see if Morrow has it in him to be a top line player. My suspicion is that he is SOME of the time, but won't hold up as the season wears on. Morrow bumped MPS, I could buy that argument. But Schwartz is being used in the same way Steen has been used....plugged into a line to get it back on track.

I pretty much agree with this Schwartz ice time will be the same with or without Morrow.

I do see MPS as the one who will lose ice time because of Morrow. I know I have been down on the Morrow signing in general I do think Morrow is the better player to MPS currently. So I couldn't argue with Hitchcock giving Morrow more ice time the MPS.

underslept 09-27-2013 01:42 PM

I expect Perron to perform a little better in Edmonton with their system. Probably hit 60 points once or twice the rest of his career with assists.

Colt 55 09-27-2013 01:58 PM

Perron was always a good teammate and a hard worker. Yea, he took stupid penalties and was was guilty of trying to do it all himself more times than not, but I can't dislike him for that. He was always respectful to fans and seemed to genuinely love playing here, for that i will always root for him.

Mike Liut 09-27-2013 02:03 PM

Hey DP, you seem like a nice guy and all, but as soon as you were traded I stopped caring about you.

mint 09-27-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor (Post 71633385)
The difference I see is St Louis got a guy that fits their system and Edmonton just got the most talented player they could get....although I don't see how his presence puts Edmonton closer to being a playoff team. Seems the deficits on that roster are unchanged. (No knock on Perron, I just don't see this as a guy they were targeting trading for. The offer was too good to pass up.)

Because David Perron is a 2nd line winger while MPS is a 3rd liner. For a team that wants to compete, this is a positive move.

That being said, MPS seems tailor made for the Blues. Big, defensively responsible player.

jumptheshark 09-27-2013 02:22 PM

Oiler fan (I come in peace and brought brownies for you guys to eat)-- I am a huge Maggs fan and I think once he finds his game he will blow your socks and rock your world. Do not know why he is struggling with the Blues

2 Minute Minor 09-27-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozwell (Post 71637235)
Oiler fan (I come in peace and brought brownies for you guys to eat)-- I am a huge Maggs fan and I think once he finds his game he will blow your socks and rock your world. Do not know why he is struggling with the Blues

Sounds like he's been a little slow to pick up the defensive side of things (hard to believe, huh?). But this is pieced together from quotes, since no preseason games have been televised.

Quaz 09-27-2013 03:45 PM

Even though the Perron trade helped free up cap space, I think the main reason for this trade was to free up playing time and power play time for Schwartz and Tarasenko, both of which the Blues like more than Perron. I think both Schwartz and Tarasenko will be better players than Perron in the long run, and I would rather see both of them eating up the PP time that Perron would have taken. MPS and a 2nd is a decent return. MPS is young and still has time to get stronger and round out his game. If we don't see Schwartz and Tarasenko get significantly more playing time this year I will be disappointed.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.