HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Realistic Destinations for Lundqvist (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1506081)

Jax1166 09-29-2013 12:06 PM

Realistic Destinations for Lundqvist
 
The way I see it, Lundqvist is out to get both money and a cup.
Lundqvist currently is a star in New York, he loves the city, the bright lights, and is loyal his place in history with the blue shirts.

Therefore in order to compel Lundqvist to leave New York, a team will have to be a cup contender in better shape with Lundqvist than the Rangers. They also will need cap space to be a strong contender and afford him a big deal, and they'll have to be a big market or franchise with history and stars.

I don't think for example he would sign with the Ducks.
To me, he stays with the Rangers. The only other potential would be the penguins and that is a long shot. Consider:

1) Other possible teams could be Toronto, Montreal, St. Louis, Philly, and maybe the Islanders.
All other contenders have goalies (Chicago, Detroit, LA, Ottawa).

-Toronto arguably has goalies and even bigger, isn't a clearly better team than New York to win a cup. They have their own demons.
-Montreal might be better than Toronto, but they have a goalie, I'm not sure they are clear cut above the Rangers, and I don't if they the space and if Hank would go to a frankaphone non US city.
-Philly lacks cap space, again not clear cut better, pressure there is absurd, and I don't see Hank going to a bitter rival
-The Islanders? Hank is not going to leave MSG and the Rangers to go to third NY team in that rink, and that is not to mention the rival or question if a one time eight seed is really that better a place to win big.

2) The only remote possibility is Pittsburgh. The Pens are not the Red Wings of Osgood where they need a component goalie to not mess up. They are more like the Oilers where they need a goalie who can win them games, cover up for defense second approach.

The Pens have allure with Crosby and Malkin. They aren't a bitter rival like the Islanders or Flyers and they could have cap space by buying out Fleury, not re-signing Vokoun, which frees up 7 million just from goaltending.


This is the only real viable team to entice Lundqvist to go because with him they would significantly have a better chance to win and could afford him.

However let me finish by saying I see this as remote. I don't see Lundqvist bailing at 31 to be like the Miami heat. He isn't going to take a pay cut or go to a worse off team.
Now if he is 35 then I could see him taking a sunset contract to win if he has not already.

mighty all the way 09-29-2013 12:12 PM

If the ducks defense is upgraded I can see him considering Anaheim if we finish 1 or 2 in the conference and have a good playoff. But that is a big if.

Dactyl 09-29-2013 12:14 PM

why so many threads about lundqvist leaving the rangers

BLONG7 09-29-2013 12:15 PM

Stays with the Rangers...but if he was to leave, the Wings make sense because of Team Sweden...obviously Howard would also have to be dealt...

King Forsberg 09-29-2013 12:16 PM

He'll sign with the Flyers for a cheaper price than most would expect and troll NHL. I can dream right?

Morlu 09-29-2013 12:17 PM

I'd think Pens, Philly and Toronto would push hard. All have cap issues though. I'd think Toronto would be impossible unless they let Phaneuf or Kessel walk.

Bruinswillwin77 09-29-2013 12:19 PM

If Rinne got 7.5 and Rask got 7.0 What's he realistically going to get? 8.0?

Crease 09-29-2013 12:24 PM

The Rangers' front office has a potential nightmare situation on their hands. On the one hand, it's not at all prudent to commit $8m+ a year to a goaltender long-term, let alone one who will be 32 when his new contract begins. On the other hand, Lundqvist is the most beloved Ranger since Brian Leetch. Compounding the problem is the fact the Rangers will inevitably compete with a team that will offer a blank check, and the fact that the Rangers have zip goaltending prospects in the system. Tough decisions ahead and Lundqvist holds all the cards.

Jax1166 09-29-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crease (Post 71703077)
The Rangers' front office has a potential nightmare situation on their hands. On the one hand, it's not at all prudent to commit $8m+ a year to a goaltender long-term, let alone one who will be 32 when his new contract begins. On the other hand, Lundqvist is the most beloved Ranger since Brian Leetch. Compounding the problem is the fact the Rangers will inevitably compete with a team that will offer a blank check, and the fact that the Rangers have zip goaltending prospects in the system. Tough decisions ahead and Lundqvist holds all the cards.

I disagree.
One who could offer him a blank check that would be significantly better than the Rangers and have the market size or allure?
Two you are forgetting the new CBA allows the current offer eight not seven years and so nobody can outbid New York.

I also happen to think Lundqvist may prefer a 4 year type deal to allow him to get a sunset deal with a contender if New York does not win.

bigbuffalo313 09-29-2013 12:38 PM

The waivers:sarcasm:

kudymen 09-29-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dactyl (Post 71702565)
why so many threads about lundqvist leaving the rangers

Well, this one makes at least a little more sense than the rest, which is good..

Follower of Yzlam 09-29-2013 12:40 PM

Give Tampa Lundqvist and we probably turn into contenders. He won't have to worry about goal support, at least. :P

sabresEH 09-29-2013 12:41 PM

If he were to leave after this season I think Philly, STL, EDM, or Minnesota.

SERE 24 09-29-2013 12:41 PM

Realistic destinations? New York. If you wanted to talk about fantasy destinations, you should have named the thread differently.

Crease 09-29-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doakes (Post 71703671)
I disagree.
One who could offer him a blank check that would be significantly better than the Rangers and have the market size or allure?
Two you are forgetting the new CBA allows the current offer eight not seven years and so nobody can outbid New York.

I also happen to think Lundqvist may prefer a 4 year type deal to allow him to get a sunset deal with a contender if New York does not win.

You're assuming the Rangers internal budget for Lundqvist is higher than what anyone else is willing to offer. If I'm GM, the last thing I want to do is commit $8m per year for the next 8 years to the starting goalie position. It's not good asset management. Especially for a 32 year old. This is like the NY Jets with Darelle Revis. You don't make the cornerback the highest paid player on your football team. Just like you don't make the goalie the highest paid player on your hockey team. It's not a successful formula. The saving grace for the Jets was that Darelle pissed off the fanbase by holding out a couple times. Has any team won the Cup with a goaltender taking up more than 10% of the team's cap?

Vankiller Whale 09-29-2013 12:43 PM

Step 1) Trade Schneider
Step 2) Buy out Luongo
Step 3) Sign Lundqvist

Profit.
:sarcasm:

JackFr 09-29-2013 12:45 PM

Realistically, the Rangers.

In my fantasies, the Penguins.

SchennSational1022* 09-29-2013 12:55 PM

Hes gonna re sign in NY. If he doesnt, I cant see anybody offering him more than the Flyers. Holmgren would foam at the mouth to get this guy.

Oh, and before somebody says it, we have no cap issues. We have plenty of money coming off books next year, even with Girouxs raise.

BigDaddyLurch 09-29-2013 12:57 PM

Islanders :amazed:


:laugh:

Ohashi_Jouzu 09-29-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PK Pilot 76 (Post 71703971)
Realistic destinations? New York. If you wanted to talk about fantasy destinations, you should have named the thread differently.

This, lol.

knoxdown 09-29-2013 01:06 PM

St. Louis would make a lot of sense for him. Great depth in every position and a really strong D core. They also have two goalies coming off the books next season. They could trade both for assets AND sign the King.

MJMazzarone 09-29-2013 01:07 PM

Calgary perhaps? MacDonald's contract I believe is up after this year and Henrik is still relatively young (for a goalie as some goalies play into their 40s) and could give the Flames a potential solid 7-8 years as their goaltender. Flames have the cap space to spend as well...

19NYSports91 09-29-2013 01:08 PM

The way I see it, he's not going anywhere.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* 09-29-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJMazzarone (Post 71705425)
Calgary perhaps? MacDonald's contract I believe is up after this year and Henrik is still relatively young (for a goalie as some goalies play into their 40s) and could give the Flames a solid 7-8 years as their goaltender. Flames have the cap space to spend as well...

Nobody can sign him to an 8 year deal except NYR.

And why would Lundqvist go to Calgary? A rebuilding team that isn't even expected to make the playoffs?

Langdon Alger* 09-29-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion (Post 71705539)
Nobody can sign him to an 8 year deal except NYR.

And why would Lundqvist go to Calgary? A rebuilding team that isn't even expected to make the playoffs?

Calgary's going to have piles of cap space next summer and owners who aren't afraid to spend. Money talks.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.