HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Real, Legitimate, and Serious Predictions for this Season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1506533)

DrinkFightFlyers 09-30-2013 10:25 AM

Real, Legitimate, and Serious Predictions for this Season

I figure on the eve of the regular season, why not put up some realistic predictions that everyone has. See who can get the closest or whatever at the end of the year. Feel free to add more stats or what have you to your predictions, but I'm just going to do standing in the Metropolitan Division and Leading Scorers.

Flyers finish third in the Metropolitan Division behind Pittsburgh and Washington (and above Columbus who finishes fourth).

Giroux leads the team in Points with 95, playing around 82 games but not the full 82.

Voracek leads the team in goals with 37.

Giroux leads the team in Assists with 64.

Mason has the best goalie stats, but they aren't anything to write home about. GAA hovering just below 3.00, Save percentage right around .905 for the season. Emery disappoints.

Overall, offense is not an issue for the Flyers but their defense and goaltending continue to struggle, which will be their ultimate demise in the first round of the playoffs.

EDIT: I just realized that Detroit and Ottawa are not in the Metropolitan Division. Still getting used to the re-shuffling. I'm sticking with the Flyers finishing third but I will put them behind Pitt and Washington and in front of Columbus. This was a lot easier when it was the Atlantic. :laugh:

EDIT EDIT: The "experts" on ESPN just put out their predictions. Not too much deviation among them. Biggest surprise to me is Burnside picking Phoenix to win it all. It is also weird to see Cup Final picks like LA over DET or CHI over DET with the new alignment.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/preview2013/s...ds-predictions

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Also funny about hose NHL experts are people choosing Drouin, who was returned to Juniors, to win the Calder. I imagine the picks were made prior to him being sent back, but you would think in they would at least change their picks prior to publishing the article.

BrimFullofAsham45 09-30-2013 10:28 AM

Your divisions are a little whacky.

FreshPerspective 09-30-2013 10:29 AM

We'll have a new coach by the second half or sooner as well as another goalie will be brought in at some point...

Finally, we will miss the playoffs and Holmgren will have already traded our number 1 pick ..for said goalie.

flyershockey 09-30-2013 10:40 AM

The Olympics will severly hamper the Flyer's chances of making the playoffs, as their three best players (Giroux, Timonen, Voracek) will all be there and playing in extensive roles.

FlyersFanz 09-30-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 71744881)

Flyers finish third in the Metropolitan Division behind Pittsburgh and Detroit (and above Ottawa who finishes fourth).

Really? Pens are going to be horrible this year without Vokoun, Fleury is so inconsistent it will be their downfall.

BillyShoe1721 09-30-2013 10:44 AM

We'll struggle and squeak into the playoffs as 7 or 8 seed, and get rocked by the Red Wings or the Bruins in the first round. Special teams continues to be a big strength, but poor performance at ES is our problem. Mobility of the defense and their inability to break the puck out at ES is our biggest problem, getting worse as everyone is a year older and slower. Laviolette isn't able to make effective in-game adjustments to cater to the strengths of his players, is fired after the season.

DrinkFightFlyers 09-30-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 (Post 71744993)
Your divisions are a little whacky.

Yeah I just realized that. Not used to the new divisions yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyershockey (Post 71745355)
The Olympics will severly hamper the Flyer's chances of making the playoffs, as their three best players (Giroux, Timonen, Voracek) will all be there and playing in extensive roles.

I don't see that being an issue because most team's best players will be in the Olympics. Some teams will be hit much harder than the Flyers in that regard (Chicago, LA potentially, Vancouver, Pitt, etc).

FlyersFanz 09-30-2013 10:48 AM

Flyers start off weak Lavi will be gone before the end of the season guaranteed.

Curufinwe 09-30-2013 10:49 AM

They miss the playoffs unless Laviolette is fired early enough.

Zod 09-30-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFanz (Post 71745357)
Really? Pens are going to be horrible this year without Vokoun, Fleury is so inconsistent it will be their downfall.

Fleury has never had a problem in the regular season putting up reasonable numbers, though. Our best hope is that the rumors are true and they sign Bryz (insert joke about how this would be horrible because he'd win the Vezina or something here.)

I was pretty optimistic for the season throughout the summer, but not at this point. I think we'll lose Lavy sooner or later this season, but overall end up with a repeat of last year--not making the playoffs, but not fulling tanking to end up with a middle-ish of the pack draft spot.

I think we'll see good years from Read and Couturier.

Flyerfan4life 09-30-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curufinwe (Post 71745641)
They miss the playoffs unless Laviolette is fired early enough.

this is what i expect and fear at the same time..

he simply has to go.

its WAY past time for a coaching/play style change here...

The Couturier Effect 09-30-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFanz (Post 71745357)

When you have guys like Crosby, Malkin, Letang, etc. having Fleury in goal won't be a huge deal. They'll finish at the top of the standings like they always do. The playoffs will be a different story, though.

Go For It 09-30-2013 11:33 AM

Like many have said, I don't see Lavy lasting the entire season. My guess is that after a slow start with the PP carrying a below-average ES offense and suspect ES defense, Lavy is let go sometime in late December (which I think was when Stevens was fired and Lavy was hired, but I'm not sure).

At some point during the season, it wouldn't surprise me if we see Coots sliding up to 2C and Lecavalier moving to wing on the 1st line, with Laughton or Talbot going to 3C.

I think we make a trade for a goalie at the deadline, as both Mason and Emery will be unspectacular.

I think Schenn will continue to frustrate the fan base, as some nights he'll look unstoppable on the wing, but other nights you won't even know he played.

Hartnell has a bounce back year and puts up around 25-25-50.

Beef Invictus 09-30-2013 11:33 AM

Lavi is fired.

The Streit contract starts to look really bad.

Read and Couturier have good years. Schenn remains in limbo.

Hartnell will fall down.

The Couturier Effect 09-30-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyershockey (Post 71745355)

It's not like the Flyers are the only team sending players to the Olympics.

FlyersFanz 09-30-2013 11:36 AM

Any goalie that's in net for the Flyers won't get it done without good defense, Flyers still don't get it and still haven't filled the D with solid guys yet. Lavi and Homer are both to blame for this.

OriginJM 09-30-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 71747413)
Lavi is fired.

Hartnell will fall down.

same

GoneFullHextall 09-30-2013 11:42 AM

Flyers will finish 3rd in the Metro, 7th in the East

Giroux will finish with 90 points

Jake will finish with 80 points

The Flyers will be looking to reducing Timonen's work load after the Olympic break. only they wont have any choice but to send him out there for 28 minutes a night due to injuries from just about everyone else.

The Flyers will get what they pay for in goal. mediocrity
Snider and Holmgren will insist that the mediocrity goaltending is fine and both will be signed in season to extensions.

CanadianFlyer88 09-30-2013 12:00 PM

The Flyers finish October below 0.500 and Lavi is fired.

The Flyers either squeak in to the playoffs as a wild card, or just miss out. If they make the playoffs, they are eliminated in the first round.

Giroux is the only Flyer who scores on at least a point per game pace.

The goaltending is mediocre and team defense is in the bottom third of the NHL.

Mark Streit and Brayden Schenn are the whipping boys for the season.

Luke Schenn and Couturier are the bright spots.

flyershockey 09-30-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 (Post 71747445)
It's not like the Flyers are the only team sending players to the Olympics.

I know, I just think it will impact the Flyers more, especially Timonen. Teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago will be able to rest their guys towards the end of the regular season, because they'll have their spot in the playoffs secured. The Flyers are going to be battling till the very end to get in.

DrinkFightFlyers 09-30-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 (Post 71748651)
The Flyers finish October below 0.500 and Lavi is fired.

The Flyers either squeak in to the playoffs as a wild card, or just miss out. If they make the playoffs, they are eliminated in the first round.

Giroux is the only Flyer who scores on at least a point per game pace.

The goaltending is mediocre and team defense is in the bottom third of the NHL.

Mark Streit and Brayden Schenn are the whipping boys for the season.

Luke Schenn and Couturier are the bright spots.

That has been a lock since the day he signed his contract. I would add Mez to that list if he plays regularly as well.

FlyersFanz 09-30-2013 12:42 PM

Mason will **** his pants because he has no D in front of him

Legion of Goon 09-30-2013 12:57 PM

I think we will finish 8th or 9th.

G will get 84 points.

Our goal tending will be so bad we wish we had Bryz back.

Our D will be bad

Our goal scoring will struggle as we need need to score 4 goals to win a game, on the bright side we will win 6 games by shoot out..hopefully one on the last game of the season to sneak into the playoffs and go on to win the Cup

FlyersFan61290 09-30-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 71747413)
Lavi is fired.

Hartnell will fall down.

This, specifically the part about baby Schenn. I don't think he'll have the year some are expecting of him and people will be calling him a bust and asking for a trade in typical philly fan fashion (like they were the beginning of last season with Voracek :facepalm:).

Garbage Goal 09-30-2013 01:07 PM

-Streit becomes an albatross contract like many thought he would the day it was signed.

-Lecavalier frustrates us but still wins face-offs and provides quality secondary scoring.

-B. Schenn doesn't improve markedly and continues to frustrate people like me.

-Laviolette is fired at some point. Whether we make the playoffs or not and how well we do in the playoffs if it's made depends entirely on when he's fired, who his replacement is, and how well that replacement meshes with the team.

-Homer keeps being given leeway and a free pass for his mistakes.

-Our goaltending is the opposite of what we had with Leighton. Bad to below average numbers, but in reality they perform at an average or passable level but the team in front of them disappoints. Emery probably let go at the end of the season, Mason is probably retained as we continue the goalie hunt at the end of the season.

-People on HF will annoy me.