HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   NHL Gamecenter question (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1506947)

kentuckyrebel 09-30-2013 08:04 PM

NHL Gamecenter question

Me and a friend were thinking about splitting a gamecenter subscription? Will it let us both watch games at the same time or no?

RinaldoZac 09-30-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentuckyrebel (Post 71769691)
Me and a friend were thinking about splitting a gamecenter subscription? Will it let us both watch games at the same time or no?

Yes it will, I had a game going on my iPad and a game going on my computer at the same time many times last season.

Beef Invictus 09-30-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerJesus (Post 71769751)
Yes it will, I had a game going on my iPad and a game going on my computer at the same time many times last season.

I would look into this to make sure. Because you were on the same network it might have allowed it; when my friend and I looked into it last year we found it wouldn't let you log on at two different locations at once.

Edit: I think it makes a difference how both people are logging on, actually. When I tried to log in on my PC and my PS3 at the same time it never let me.

Jtown 09-30-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentuckyrebel (Post 71769691)

no it won't. I just signed up for hockeystreams after a year of GCL and i have been blown away by how much better it is compared to GCl. As someone who has tried both i highly recommend hockeystreams over GCL.

Flyerfan4life 09-30-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtown (Post 71770863)
no it won't. I just signed up for hockeystreams after a year of GCL and i have been blown away by how much better it is compared to GCl. As someone who has tried both i highly recommend hockeystreams over GCL.

^^^agreed^^^^

RJ8812* 09-30-2013 10:05 PM

waste of money

go with hockeystreams instead

PhilaFlyers 10-01-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

What do you like better about Hockey Streams? Just wondering because I have Gamecenter and I haven't had problems.

BillDineen 10-01-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers (Post 71783693)
What do you like better about Hockey Streams? Just wondering because I have Gamecenter and I haven't had problems.

I currently have both (GCL for the regular season). I prefer GCL.

Jack de la Hoya 10-01-2013 07:18 AM

As some of you know, I've recently relocated out of the Philadelphia / metro D.C. are (where I've been, with a few interruptions, for the better part of thirty years) and to the warm confines of central Texas.

I'm trying to figure out what to do for the season--so I'm interested in further thoughts. My main concern with either GCL or hockeystreams is my awful internet--if I'm lucky, I get 15 mps d/l and 1.5 mps upload--but most nights its closer to 5 mps. This is a fraction of what I'm accustomed to.

I'm not opposed to paying for a subscription, but I don't want to do so only to find that my internet can't sustain a decent quality image. If that's the case, I'll just hunt for free streams and rely on NBC sports (I don't get the NHL Network either, unfortunately).

Anyway, I'd welcome any thoughts / advice--expert or otherwise.

Ryker 10-01-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life (Post 71771745)
^^^agreed^^^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 71775027)
waste of money

go with hockeystreams instead

I don't know whether GCL is good or not, but I'd also heartily recommend hockeystreams.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya (Post 71784399)
As some of you know, I've recently relocated out of the Philadelphia / metro D.C. are (where I've been, with a few interruptions, for the better part of thirty years) and to the warm confines of central Texas.

I'm trying to figure out what to do for the season--so I'm interested in further thoughts. My main concern with either GCL or hockeystreams is my awful internet--if I'm lucky, I get 15 mps d/l and 1.5 mps upload. This is a fraction of what I'm accustomed to.

I'm not opposed to paying for a subscription, but I don't want to do so only to find that my internet can't sustain a decent quality image. If that's the case, I'll just hunt for free streams and rely on NBC sports (I don't get the NHL Network either, unfortunately).

I think both sites allow you to watch a test video. Hockeystreams has two different quality options, so if you can't go with the higher one, just go with 800 kbps. And they also have on-demand streams right after the game is done (well, give them 15 mins to half an hour), where the video isn't buffered, but rather progressively "built up" or cached (don't know the correct lingo here).

PhilaFlyers 10-01-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillDineen (Post 71783811)
I currently have both (GCL for the regular season). I prefer GCL.

Only thing that sucks about GCL is the NBC/NHLN games are blacked out. If you have cable it's not a huge problem. I would like to watch some junior games every now and then though.

RJ8812* 10-01-2013 10:36 PM

I had a question....how is hockeystreams legal? do they have deals with each league or something?

PhilaFlyers 10-01-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 71841881)
I had a question....how is hockeystreams legal? do they have deals with each league or something?

Definitely not legal. They do it out of the Netherlands so I guess there is nothing the leagues can do about it.

MountainHawk 10-01-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 71841881)

It's not. You are stealing from the NHL/NBC.

Jack de la Hoya 10-01-2013 10:52 PM

Gameceter Live's FAQs suggest that as long as you have at least 2.0 mps download, you should be able to enjoy the high quality picture.

I'm wondering whether anyone else with awful internet has experience? I'm reluctant to drop that kind of money if I can't get anything better than the pirated streams, since radio is usually an option and the Flyers are on NBCSN a fair amount.

RJ8812* 10-01-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainHawk (Post 71842863)
It's not. You are stealing from the NHL/NBC.

then how has the site not been shut down?

MountainHawk 10-01-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 71843217)
then how has the site not been shut down?

Foreign governments don't care as much.

RJ8812* 10-01-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainHawk (Post 71844225)
Foreign governments don't care as much.

ohhh, so they operate out of Europe?

MountainHawk 10-01-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 71844341)
ohhh, so they operate out of Europe?

Probably Gibraltar, Holland, or one of the tiny micro states.

Edit: Seem to be in Rotterdam in the Netherlands.

shipwreck 10-02-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya (Post 71784399)

I'm trying to figure out what to do for the season--so I'm interested in further thoughts. My main concern with either GCL or hockeystreams is my awful internet--if I'm lucky, I get 15 mps d/l and 1.5 mps upload--but most nights its closer to 5 mps. This is a fraction of what I'm accustomed to.

I'm down in Central Texas as well - College Station. I have Direct TV, but previously had DISH. I just get the Center Ice package every year.

Jack de la Hoya 10-02-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 71854139)
I'm down in Central Texas as well - College Station. I have Direct TV, but previously had DISH. I just get the Center Ice package every year.

Yeah--I probably should have gone with Direct TV, but I was scared off by the two-year contract, as I'll likely only be at this address for a year.

Suddenlink, the nation's worst cable company, doesn't offer Center Ice or NHL network as options. (Understandable, perhaps, given the limited popularity of the sport here--but they also don't offer the Longhorn Network in northern suburbs of Austin. Seriously, I never thought that I would miss Comcast, but this is awful).

FlyersFanz 10-02-2013 11:34 AM

Center Ice on Directv is great except when some of the Flyers games are aired in SD, WTF? I paid for HD hockey games. Prime example of that tonight's game against the Leafs.

Hiesenberg 10-02-2013 11:42 AM

I'm getting DirecTV installed tomorrow, I'm not sure what plan will be from there.

flyershockey 10-02-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya (Post 71854505)
Yeah--I probably should have gone with Direct TV, but I was scared off by the two-year contract, as I'll likely only be at this address for a year.

Suddenlink, the nation's worst cable company, doesn't offer Center Ice or NHL network as options. (Understandable, perhaps, given the limited popularity of the sport here--but they also don't offer the Longhorn Network in northern suburbs of Austin. Seriously, I never thought that I would miss Comcast, but this is awful).

Yeah, next time just go with Direct TV and get Center Ice, especially if you have a nice TV. It just seems to be so much more convenient. As far as I know, the prices for the streaming sites aren't that much cheaper than CI (I paid 169.99 broken up over four bills with Verizon Fios). Someone else can probably provide more insight on that though.

Jack de la Hoya 10-02-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyershockey (Post 71864927)
Yeah, next time just go with Direct TV and get Center Ice, especially if you have a nice TV. It just seems to be so much more convenient. As far as I know, the prices for the streaming sites aren't that much cheaper than CI (I paid 169.99 broken up over four bills with Verizon Fios). Someone else can probably provide more insight on that though.

DirecTV still has a two-year minimum contract for high-end service though, right?

I may only be here for a year--that's why I wasn't willing to risk the early cancellation fee.