HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The Official Ron Hextall as Flyers GM endorsement Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1507301)

FreshPerspective 10-01-2013 10:54 AM

The Official Ron Hextall as Flyers GM endorsement Thread
 
Sooner rather than later..please. The below article has spurred my sense of urgency...

I know this seems highly reactionary given the fact that this season hasn't even started but Holmgren to me has just been too inconsistent as a GM. Not sure if Snider's meddling has played into it but I would like Hextall as GM before he splits like Lombardi did. I said at the time that the Flyers made mistake letting him go...

It's better to be proactive than reactive like the Flyers have been. Lavi should have been canned this offseason like I endorsed and now I'm petitioning for Holmgren's ouster..

Please post your endorsements or arguments against ...keep it civil

Quote:

Clearly, the road is fully paved for Hextall to advance.

“That’s not why I am here,” Hextall said. “It is my goal in the end to be a general manager. But when and where and how and if, who knows? Just one day at a time, to do my job and see where it goes.”

Hextall was the guy who pieced together a lot of those young faces in Los Angeles. The sounding board who advised Lombardi on trades -- Mike Richards, Jeff Carter -- and free-agent signings. He brings a different education, he says.

“Anybody you work for is educational,” Hextall said. “Clarkie (Bobby Clarke) and Homer and Dean Lombardi. Anybody you work for, it’s educational. You learn different ideas and different philosophies. To see the way another organization runs, it’s educational.”

When you’ve been in hockey a long time, then finally win a Cup as a member of management after being robbed of such at least once as a player, it’s easier to walk away to another organization.

Hextall felt he had achieved his goal with the Kings.

“Winning did make a difference in my decision,” he said. “When you spend seven years and build something, you want to see it through and I really did see it through. Was that a factor? Absolutely.

“If we would not have won it and you had built a team six or seven years, you kind of want to see it through. That played into my decision, for sure. Also, when you go outside an organization, you learn.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...season-started
RELATED: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1498701

BillDineen 10-01-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt (Post 71791799)
Sooner rather than later..please. The below article has spurred my sense of urgency...

I know this seems highly reactionary given the fact that this season hasn't even started but Holmgren to me has just been too inconsistent as a GM. Not sure if Snider's meddling has played into it but I would like Hextall as GM before he splits like Lombardi did. I said at the time that the Flyers made mistake letting him go...

It's better to be proactive than reactive like the Flyers have been. Lavi should have been canned this offseason like I endorsed and now I'm petitioning for Holmgren's ouster..

Please post your endorsements or arguments against ...keep it civil

But if they do, Homer will be given an office beside Clarke!

FreshPerspective 10-01-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillDineen (Post 71792565)
But if they do, Homer will be given an office beside Clarke!

Meh...mere figure heads.....Hextall will lop off their heads with his stick if they meddle too much.

DrinkFightFlyers 10-01-2013 11:29 AM

I'm all for Hextall being next in line, though my thoughts are known about Homer so I will just leave it at that to avoid an all-out Beef vs. DFF war on the analysis of Homer's tenure as GM.

My only problem is this: how long before the crowd turns on Hextall? Many of us love Hextall (myself included...I named my cat after him!). I would hate to have to hate Hextall for being a crappy GM. Haha.

orange is better 10-01-2013 11:32 AM

Clarke was a crappy GM and people still love him I suppose

captainpaxil 10-01-2013 11:37 AM

The thing that delights/scares me about hextall is i think he has patience. Building through the draft isnt beyond him and i could totally see him allowing the team to suck/develop over several years. Does he have enough credibility to rebuild the franchise into his team is a tough question. i think so but it doesnt make it easy.

Jtown 10-01-2013 12:11 PM

Hextall has never been a GM. We have no clue how he will perform in that role, so an endorsement for wanting him as a GM is more an endorsement for wanting Homer Gone. If you want Homer gone , that is fine. But Wanting Hextall as the GM just makes no sense since he has never acted in that capacity before and we have no history in what to judge his ability to be a GM.

DrinkFightFlyers 10-01-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtown (Post 71795371)
Hextall has never been a GM. We have no clue how he will perform in that role, so an endorsement for wanting him as a GM is more an endorsement for wanting Homer Gone. If you want Homer gone , that is fine. But Wanting Hextall as the GM just makes no sense since he has never acted in that capacity before and we have no history in what to judge his ability to be a GM.

I disagree with this. Hextall has been an assitant GM for a while now. The next logical step is for him to be a GM. He's done a good job as an assistant thus far, not a stretch to think he'd be good as the head hancho. It's like wanting a heralded rookie to get the start. He's excelled in the minors and/or juniors to this point, I want to see him in the pros.

FreshPerspective 10-01-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtown (Post 71795371)
Hextall has never been a GM. We have no clue how he will perform in that role, so an endorsement for wanting him as a GM is more an endorsement for wanting Homer Gone. If you want Homer gone , that is fine. But Wanting Hextall as the GM just makes no sense since he has never acted in that capacity before and we have no history in what to judge his ability to be a GM.

Semi-true.....have my concerns but right now I'm not sure who is a better alternative. I think he's got enough experience and I think learning under Lombardi is a benefit to him. Plus Snider still likes to keep it in the family as we all know (to the organization's detriment) so Hextall is a decent option since he did spend time outside the Flyers echo chamber as he notes.

Jtown 10-01-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 71795447)
I disagree with this. Hextall has been an assitant GM for a while now. The next logical step is for him to be a GM. He's done a good job as an assistant thus far, not a stretch to think he'd be good as the head hancho. It's like wanting a heralded rookie to get the start. He's excelled in the minors and/or juniors to this point, I want to see him in the pros.

But this is all speculation on your part. We don't know if he went up to lombardi saying dont trade for jeff carter, dont sign drew doughty to that extension, don't trade bernier.

WE have no clue what hextall did in his role as assistant GM.

Beef Invictus 10-01-2013 12:36 PM

I assume Hextall is the clear cut successor, but I don't think it happens soon.

Garbage Goal 10-01-2013 12:49 PM

Homer has always and probably will for a while longer receive more leeway then he deserves.

DrinkFightFlyers 10-01-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtown (Post 71796369)
But this is all speculation on your part. We don't know if he went up to lombardi saying dont trade for jeff carter, dont sign drew doughty to that extension, don't trade bernier.

WE have no clue what hextall did in his role as assistant GM.

Come on. That could be said about anyone in a "front office" role. We don't know what anyone does in the front office, really, including the GM. The only reasonable assumption is that the assistant GM is #2 in command. He probably has the second most say in anything that goes on. Any other assumption is without any kind of basis. You can speculate that he doesn't have a big say in anything, but without any basis there is nothing to that speculation. At least speculating that he does have a big say is based on the fact that he is #2 in command.

He was #2 on a Cup winning team. It is safe to assume that he did a good job in his role as the assistant GM, despite the fact that we don't know "exactly" what he did. Any other assumption or speculation is where you run into problems with the speculation. Res ipsa loquitor...it speaks for itself.

Garbage Goal 10-01-2013 01:33 PM

Every GM was a non-GM at some point without experience at it. So I don't see how that's a knock on Hextall.

If anything, considering Hextall has more experience then most guys without GM experience (with both a SC winning LA team, as a legendary starting goalie in Philly, and as an assistant GM) it's probably a reason to argue for him to be next in line more then anything.

FreshPerspective 10-01-2013 03:40 PM

Holmgren sees tough road ahead
 
Time to get out of the kitchen Paul....step aside for Chef Ronald Hextall

BTW count this as the first installment of the GM having to motivate Lavi's players....not a good start or omen..

Quote:

PAUL HOLMGREN is feeling the heat.

So much so, in fact, that Holmgren wasn't going to wait until the regular season starts tomorrow to voice his displeasure with the performance of a few of his players in a characterless 1-5-1 preseason.

"We weren't a playoff team last year. Then to have a preseason like we had, it bothers me," Holmgren said. "I've addressed a couple individuals. In the last couple days, I think the players that we have realized it and picked it up a couple notches in practice."

The Flyers have missed the playoffs just nine times in 46 seasons. It has been 2 decades since Ed Snider's franchise has gone back-to-back years without qualifying for Lord Stanley's chase.

Now, the road has gotten even tougher to accomplish what was once considered mundane for one of the NHL's proudest franchises.

Holmgren said he was talking with another general manager yesterday and they spoke about the difficulty of making the playoffs in the parity-filled NHL - let alone being a bona-fide Stanley Cup contender.


Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...IJszHgkrFAf.99

ILoveStephanieBrown 10-01-2013 03:49 PM

Im not Homer's biggest fan by any means but Im also not his biggest critic either. I am really interested to see how Hexy would run a team and I prefer that team to be the Flyers.

MountainHawk 10-01-2013 04:08 PM

Oh boy. Another former Flyer player as GM. Because that's worked so well for the last 30 years.

FreshPerspective 10-01-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainHawk (Post 71806307)
Oh boy. Another former Flyer player as GM. Because that's worked so well for the last 30 years.

True but seriously with Snider still breathing oxygen ..this is the best we can ask for. As noted..at least he spent some time away from the organizational group think..

zarley zelepukin 10-01-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainpaxil (Post 71793845)
The thing that delights/scares me about hextall is i think he has patience. Building through the draft isnt beyond him and i could totally see him allowing the team to suck/develop over several years. Does he have enough credibility to rebuild the franchise into his team is a tough question. i think so but it doesnt make it easy.

Hextall might have the patience to do something like that but Ed Snider doesn't. I still think some of the reason that Holmgren gets criticized has to do with decisions he made while under pressure from Snider. So on one hand, I think a change probably needs to be made at GM, but on the other hand, I wonder if the bigger issues aren't because of the owner.

FreshPerspective 10-01-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin (Post 71806535)
Hextall might have the patience to do something like that but Ed Snider doesn't. I still think some of the reason that Holmgren gets criticized has to do with decisions he made while under pressure from Snider. So on one hand, I think a change probably needs to be made at GM, but on the other hand, I wonder if the bigger issues aren't because of the owner.

I think this is a valid observation. I know in a recent post season interview where he talked about the Bryz mistake he said that there is lots of "debate" between him, the owner and Lukko. The question is who is winning the majority of those debates especially when they might not really be debates but actually diktats....

Garbage Goal 10-01-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt (Post 71805095)
Time to get out of the kitchen Paul....step aside for Chef Ronald Hextall

BTW count this as the first installment of the GM having to motivate Lavi's players....not a good start or omen..

It begins. :help:

kicksave27 10-01-2013 06:40 PM

For all the crap Clarke takes, he was actually a really good GM. No GM makes the right move every time. Homer is rather innovative as a GM, and yes he tends to have cap issues because his owner wants to spend as much as possible to get a winner. If Pronger never gets hurt, he's sitting quite pretty. Hextall is now part of the circle, so if a "bad" move is made, don't assume hexy had no input. That being said I love Ron Hextall, and am really happy he is around in any capacity. He's a class guy off the ice, and hope he's involved in the carnival somehow.

LegionOfDoom91 10-01-2013 06:42 PM

I'm curious to see what they'll do when the next GM search comes up. I know people always mention the "family business" thing but Colin Campbell was offered the GM job before Homer last go around. So I'm not 100% sure if they'll definitely go in house again.

FreshPerspective 10-01-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicksave27 (Post 71814533)
For all the crap Clarke takes, he was actually a really good GM. No GM makes the right move every time. Homer is rather innovative as a GM, and yes he tends to have cap issues because his owner wants to spend as much as possible to get a winner. If Pronger never gets hurt, he's sitting quite pretty. Hextall is now part of the circle, so if a "bad" move is made, don't assume hexy had no input. That being said I love Ron Hextall, and am really happy he is around in any capacity. He's a class guy off the ice, and hope he's involved in the carnival somehow.

Just curious how much of Clarke's two stints as GM did you experience and at what age were you making these observations bc he really wasnt that great of a GM ..at all. Great player..so so GM.

Psuhockey 10-01-2013 09:12 PM

I am not sure what Hextall has done to warrant such admiration as an assistant GM. LA was terrible for a long time, which is something he cant do in Philly, and acquired a ton of draft choices. There was a lot of misses in those choices: Thomas Hickey, Colton Teubert, and Derek Forbort from the 1st round. He got there in June of 2006 so I am not sure if Bernier and Lewis is on him but it is not an impressive record for 1st round drafting especially compared to Holmgren.

LA was terrible for a long time, sold off their team multiple times at the deadline, and acquired a lot of picks and thus assets that they traded to get over the top. That strategy, though successful, does not work with the Flyers ownership and 18,000 season ticket holders. He will be under a totally different set of circumstances and expectations here. Nothing about LA will apply to Philly. Case in point, fans calling for Holmgren to be fired after missing the playoffs once during a strike shortened season.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.