HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Hybrid Icing (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1508355)

FlyersFanz 10-02-2013 12:54 PM

Hybrid Icing

I heard the other day that the NHLPA approved Hybrid Icing for this season.
What do you guys think?
My question is...won't this create a lot more stoppages in the game? I thought Bettman's plan was to speed up the game?
Some doubts about hybrid icing, most notably hesitancy or unfamiliarity on the part of the linesman who has to make the call.

Kevin Danko 10-02-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFanz (Post 71867953)
I heard the other day that the NHLPA approved Hybrid Icing for this season.
What do you guys think?
My question is...won't this create a lot more stoppages in the game? I thought Bettman's plan was to speed up the game?
Some doubts about hybrid icing, most notably hesitancy or unfamiliarity on the part of the linesman who has to make the call.

I have no problem with it, prevents injury. Although I could see there being issues when certain players cant get off the ice after icing the puck and getting the hybrid icing call and then getting scored on

sobrien 10-02-2013 01:01 PM

Long overdue. It'll take big steps forward to protect the defending player.

I think there's still a lot of danger for the offensive pursuer, because if he wins the race to the dots...play continues, right? Then there's two guys going to the boards, with the (likely) big, slow, brutish defender giving chase. Imagine Giroux beating Chara to the dots and play continues...who's not holding their breath there?

Go For It 10-02-2013 01:05 PM

I would have preferred just going to no-touch if they were going to change it, but hybrid is alright I guess.

MP92 10-02-2013 01:15 PM

Not sure why you think it would cause more stoppages in the game. The only difference is the race is to the faceoff dot and not the puck. I don't care for it because I saw a lot of blown calls in the preseason but maybe that's just because refs need more time to get used to it. Im willing to give it a chance, not like I have any choice :laugh:

FreshPerspective 10-02-2013 01:20 PM

This "Go Green" movement has gone too far......Damn "Libruls" :sarcasm:

I'm fine with it although not fine with some refs and their discretionary capabilities or lack thereof...

CanadianFlyer88 10-02-2013 01:24 PM

Everyone's still learning, so there will be mistakes early.

Though there is still a rush to a point on the ice, if the forward wins the race to the dot, the icing is automatically waived. This allows both players to prepare for contact (instead of sacrificing their safety just to touch the puck first) and will definitely prevent injuries like Pat Peake and Joni Pitakanen sustained.

Don Cherry is the loudest opponent to hybrid icing, but I'm convinced he doesn't understand the rule or the impact of the icing being waived/blown early.

There should be very little difference in the number of stoppages. However, with icings being called earlier, theoretically there will be a more seconds on the clock each stoppage which will lead to a couple more stoppages each game. It shouldn't have a huge impact, though.

Personally, I would prefer no-touch icing, but this is moving in the right direction.

FlyersFanz 10-02-2013 01:32 PM

Definitely there will be a lot of grey area judgement calls earlier on in the season.
I do agree with Sobrien's post about injuries using the example of Giroux and Chara...that is scary when you think about it.

Go For It 10-02-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 (Post 71869479)
Everyone's still learning, so there will be mistakes early.

Though there is still a rush to a point on the ice, if the forward wins the race to the dot, the icing is automatically waived. This allows both players to prepare for contact (instead of sacrificing their safety just to touch the puck first) and will definitely prevent injuries like Pat Peake and Joni Pitakanen sustained.

Don Cherry is the loudest opponent to hybrid icing, but I'm convinced he doesn't understand the rule or the impact of the icing being waived/blown early.

There should be very little difference in the number of stoppages. However, with icings being called earlier, theoretically there will be a more seconds on the clock each stoppage which will lead to a couple more stoppages each game. It shouldn't have a huge impact, though.

Personally, I would prefer no-touch icing, but this is moving in the right direction.

Somewhat. I'm pretty sure he's been calling for no touch icing for a couple of years now.

MiamiScreamingEagles 10-02-2013 07:49 PM

Chris Therien said "it's not a big deal...not a bad thing..." Said he spoke to two former players: Ray Ferraro likes it, Ron Hextall does not.