HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Free Agency and how much would you spend... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=151027)

Kingz4life 07-13-2005 09:45 PM

Free Agency and how much would you spend...

I am veryyy happy the deal is finally agreed upon and from everything I read free agency will kick off at the start of August. The KINGS are going to have some money to spend because they have a payroll of 15 million and maybe 20 million when you count our restricted free agents such as Frolov. I'm not sure how close we will get to the reported 37-39 million dollar payroll but I hope we are up there and save some money to make a deadline deal if, neccessary.

Since, Conroy is going to make about $2,394,000 for us this season after the 24% rollback, how much would you pay for Palffy or another top free agent of your choice? I would give Ziggy a 4 million dollar offer atleast.

Face Wash 07-13-2005 09:48 PM

I don't expect the Kings to go after Palffy... Kariya, that's another story. I think they might take a shot at Muzz, but Boston has A LOT of money and he might stay there.

Kingz4life 07-13-2005 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Wash
I don't expect the Kings to go after Palffy... Kariya, that's another story. I think they might take a shot at Muzz, but Boston has A LOT of money and he might stay there.

I actually think the Kings will go after Palffy because they would never have offered him the 6.5 million deal if they didn't want him back and even though he turned it down I think the Kings will give forgive him. Anyways, I just wanted to get an idea of how much you want to spend on these players since there's a cap now. What would you offer Kariya? 2-3.5 million TOPS IMO.

Face Wash 07-13-2005 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingz4life
I actually think the Kings will go after Palffy because they would never have offered him the 6.5 million deal if they didn't want him back and even though he turned it down I think the Kings will give forgive him. Anyways, I just wanted to get an idea of how much you want to spend on these players since there's a cap now. What would you offer Kariya? 2-3.5 million TOPS IMO.

Ironically, I think Kariya is one of the rare players that will actually get MORE money than he was making on his last contract... like 3 times as much. I say Kariya gets upwards of $3.5 to $4 million on a 3 year deal from someone (maybe the Kings).

Palffy was a fan favorite, but not a player favorite, and a year removed, I don't think the fans would miss him as much and I know most of the players won't.

Sam 07-13-2005 10:34 PM

I'd be careful about giving anyone more than a two year deal. The Kings are not contenders this year, and the UFA age willl be going down. With the UFA age going down, there will be three classes of UFAs available in 2006, and then there will be two classes available each of the next two years. With the UFA age down to 27 in 2008, you can acquire players in their prime (and, in the case of goaltenders, players who have not even reached their prime). All I'm saying is, don't blow your load early.

Which goalenders are available? There's Khabibulin, Joseph, Cechmanek, Burke, Osgood, and probably one of the Buffalo goalies. Anyone else? The Kings probably need a veteran who can take the reigns as the #1 if Garon shows Storr-syndrome.

swinginutter* 07-13-2005 10:53 PM

Quote:

Ironically, I think Kariya is one of the rare players that will actually get MORE money than he was making on his last contract... like 3 times as much. I say Kariya gets upwards of $3.5 to $4 million on a 3 year deal from someone (maybe the Kings).

Palffy was a fan favorite, but not a player favorite, and a year removed, I don't think the fans would miss him as much and I know most of the players won't.

Agree with the Kariya comments. I remember rumors swirling around that he would come to LA before joining the Avs. Just rumors though.

As for the Ziggy comments? I'm curious about which players Ziggy had problems with?

Mxpunk 07-13-2005 11:04 PM

Quote:

I agree...I'd rather have Kariya since I believe he has a better attitude...Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Palffy, but if it came down to choosing between the two, I'd take Kariya because of his work ethic, on-ice leadership, etc. Remember when Kariya got nailed by Stevens, came back from the locker room and wristed that rocket past Brodeur? Amazing! :eek:

Kingz4life 07-13-2005 11:16 PM

I think Palffy is a better player then Kariya at this point. Maybe, we can get both but I don't want this team to be to small. I also think Demitra should get some interest from us.

Reaper45 07-13-2005 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mxpunk
I agree...I'd rather have Kariya since I believe he has a better attitude...Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Palffy, but if it came down to choosing between the two, I'd take Kariya because of his work ethic, on-ice leadership, etc. Remember when Kariya got nailed by Stevens, came back from the locker room and wristed that rocket past Brodeur? Amazing! :eek:

Kariya has always been one of my favorite players, the guy is the consumate team player, much more of a team captain than Matty. Having him in the locker room along with Robitaille, and Norstrom would do wonders for the kids.

Sam 07-13-2005 11:20 PM

I'd easily prefer Palffy to Kariya. The Kings need a first line RW much more than an LW, and Kariya isn't what he used to be.

Mxpunk 07-13-2005 11:23 PM

I would love to have a big center like Thornton on a line with Kariya....That's probably a pipe dream...We'll probably get Shane Toporowski back to center Matt Zultek and Barry Potomski...

P.S. I know ST didn't play center, but I thought I'd throw out his name!

Reaper45 07-13-2005 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam
I'd easily prefer Palffy to Kariya. The Kings need a first line RW much more than an LW, and Kariya isn't what he used to be.

True we do need a RW more. But, we also need some vets that are going to be good influences for our younger players, since more likely than not, we are going to be a much younger team. Paul Kariya fits that mold moreso than Ziggy Palffy.

Kingz4life 07-13-2005 11:30 PM

If, Palffy stays healthy I think he would get 80+ points. If, Kariya stays healthy I think he would get 60+ points for us. I love Kariya's heart but Palffy is the better player and he will lead by example.

kingbrath 07-13-2005 11:54 PM

How old is Kariya?

Reaper45 07-13-2005 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brath
How old is Kariya?

30. 3 years younger than Palffy.

Sam 07-14-2005 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45
True we do need a RW more. But, we also need some vets that are going to be good influences for our younger players, since more likely than not, we are going to be a much younger team. Paul Kariya fits that mold moreso than Ziggy Palffy.

That's what Lucky Luc is going to be there for. ;) Can't have the possibility of Andrechuk catching Robitaille.

If mentoring the younger players was the Kings first priority, I doubt they would have let Lappy, Dustin Brown's mentor so to speak, leave. The Kings will probably rely on the guys they have, i.e. Norstrom, Conroy, Klatt, etc., to lead the younger players.

kingbrath 07-14-2005 12:16 AM

Quote:

30. 3 years younger than Palffy.

As much as I'd like to see Palffy back, I agree that Kariya would be a good fit, maybe him and Demitra and a stud Dman. Or is that asking to much?

Reaper45 07-14-2005 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam
That's what Lucky Luc is going to be there for. ;) Can't have the possibility of Andrechuk catching Robitaille.

If mentoring the younger players was the Kings first priority, I doubt they would have let Lappy, Dustin Brown's mentor so to speak, leave. The Kings will probably rely on the guys they have, i.e. Norstrom, Conroy, Klatt, etc., to lead the younger players.

God I hope Lappy wasn't Brown's mentor. I don't want to see Brown end up as a 3rd/4th line grinder....

Kingz4life 07-14-2005 12:24 AM

I didn't realize Kariya was 3 years younger then Palffy. I thought it was like a year or 2 the most. In that case I would just sign the guy who is willing to take less. I still would probably take Palffy over Kariya because Kariya is coming off a dissapointing season although I think he will turn it around.

Sam 07-14-2005 01:07 AM

Quote:

God I hope Lappy wasn't Brown's mentor. I don't want to see Brown end up as a 3rd/4th line grinder....

From Brown's HF interview.
Quote:

HF: Was there a particular Kings player that took you under his wing and really helped you with the transition to the NHL?
DB: Ian Lapperiere. He was like my big brother. He would pull me aside and tell me something I was doing wrong on ice, and more importantly pull me aside if I was having a tough time off the ice or if something was bothering me. He was always there to help me. He was a VERY big help.

Captain Ron 07-14-2005 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam
I'd be careful about giving anyone more than a two year deal. The Kings are not contenders this year, and the UFA age willl be going down.

With all due respect there is no way of knowing who is and who is not a contender this year. All of the teams will look drastically different than they did 2 years ago.

nikolai19 07-14-2005 01:28 AM

I would like to see Blake back on the blueline if bought out. I wouldn't worry about Brownie too much. I think Conroy will have a great affect on him. Conroy is one of the better locker room guys in the league.

Dave in LA 07-14-2005 10:01 AM

You guys are crazy. I would rather have Palffy than Teemu's girlfriend.

Palffy lead this team when injuries hit the first time. He's a better leader and put up some mvp #'s without top line talent. He knows the system and now the game will be opened up. He's got a just as a good shot here than any other team except San Jose. That team scares me.

I still don't get the love affair with Glen Murray. The dude was the biggest p.u.s.s.y when was here in LA. He never used his 6'4 frame. He was always on the perimeter. He never laid the smack down on players and would never take punishment in front of the net. Wasn't he supposed to be the next Cam Neely? Just say no. If the kings are to get a vet power forward, let it be Gary Roberts. That guy would be the perfect mentor for Brown.

D

jfont 07-14-2005 10:50 AM

i like gary roberts as well...but we already have Klatt (is he still under contract?)...

also, roberts laid out a nasty headbutt to dave taylor when he was still with calgary...don't know if taylor holds a grudge but thats one of the reasons he won't be coming here i bet...

Old Hickory 07-14-2005 10:52 AM

I can't believe David A. Rainer, Esq hasn't posted in this thread yet. This thread was made for Dave. % of payroll to spend on each position, etc
Get to work Dave!