HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Question about Berube (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1511825)

ArchieIsGod 10-07-2013 07:22 PM

Question about Berube
 
Hey, everyone now that Berube is our coach I've been hearing a lot of people making comments that it will be Bullies 2.0. I'm hoping someone that watched a lot of the Phantoms when he was their head coach can shed some light on what kind of coaching style we can expect to see. Are his playing days influencing peoples opinion of him as a coach or should we expect dump and chase, grind em out kinda team? I'm hoping he just emphasises defense first and doesn't try to bring a Bullies type team.

LegionOfDoom91 10-07-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchieIsGod (Post 72182451)
Hey, everyone now that Berube is our coach I've been hearing a lot of people making comments that it will be Bullies 2.0. I'm hoping someone that watched a lot of the Phantoms when he was their head coach can shed some light on what kind of coaching style we can expect to see. Are his playing days influencing peoples opinion of him as a coach or should we expect dump and chase, grind em out kinda team? I'm hoping he just emphasises defense first and doesn't try to bring a Bullies type team.

They're likely just basing it off of his playing days. I didn't watch the Phantoms back then nor do I remember it but in his only full season as a coach there his team made the playoffs.

SgtJoseph* 10-07-2013 07:32 PM

I wish bullies 2.0 was on the horizon for our club, but those days are looooooong gone sadly !

StandingCow 10-08-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchieIsGod (Post 72182451)
Hey, everyone now that Berube is our coach I've been hearing a lot of people making comments that it will be Bullies 2.0. I'm hoping someone that watched a lot of the Phantoms when he was their head coach can shed some light on what kind of coaching style we can expect to see. Are his playing days influencing peoples opinion of him as a coach or should we expect dump and chase, grind em out kinda team? I'm hoping he just emphasises defense first and doesn't try to bring a Bullies type team.

I think Berube is a lot smarter than some people are giving him credit for. He understands that the future of hockey is speed (he said as much in his interview).

I also heard him mention playing a system much like Boston's which has me really excited... but it will take a while before the team is used to the system change.

flyersfan187 10-08-2013 05:12 AM

Berube knows his hockey and I hope he gets this team to play some smarter hockey than we seen the last couple of years.

Hiesenberg 10-08-2013 08:09 AM

Berube played the game he knew how to play and was good at. Just because he was a tough guy that was limited in scoring, doesn't mean he's going to turn all 25 guys into goons.

Codith 10-08-2013 08:13 AM

A simple defensive system that is adaptable is all this team needs, if Chief and Paddock can do that, then I think we can sail this ship a little smoother.

Appleyard 10-08-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codith (Post 72209915)
A simple defensive system that is adaptable is all this team needs, if Chief and Paddock can do that, then I think we can sail this ship a little smoother.

If the indications are correct and we are going towards a 'Boston' kind of system I am ecstatic.

It is far 'simpler' in essence, and makes sure players are defensively responsible, pretty much 2-3 neutral zone by my reckoning, sometimes 2---1-2, but with the opportunity for the centre to have a lot of space if there is a turnover.

I think it suits the Flyers as well, we have an immobile back end (overall) without an elite puckmover (well, Kimmo and Streit can, but not elitely any-more.) But pretty elite offensive talent, especially at centre, and it creates scoring opportunities through pressure and turnovers... we don't get many defensive player end to end rushes anyway, so the old way (Lavis system) of doing it effectively left 2 players unused in the neutral zone (our D) when they are supposed to be the crux of our old 'system'.

Tbf it is pretty similar but with a few tweaks to how the Flyers played at the end of last year.

The Bruins make sure all three of the top lines share a defensive workload as well, especially in terms of QoC, this should help Couts and Schenn grow, and put pressure on opponents slightly more evenly, as some nights last year teams just rode out our 1st line and beat us with match-ups.

Hopefully we play against a 1-3-1 the way the Bruins do as well. We have the personnel!

That was the thing that frustrates me most when we come up against a 1-3-1 and look awful, is that we have the perfect forwards to counter it... on each line of our first two lines!

1 great passer (Giroux, Lecav)
1 board battler (Hartnell, Simmonds)
1 fast player (Voracek, Read/Schenn)

So if the Flyers played an intelligent dump and chase the personnel are balanced perfectly on paper to beat a trap.

Giroux or Lecav accurate dump, or bank off Hartnell/Simmonds, with Voracek, Read or Schenn as the 'Gunner', hitting the line with speed to pressure the defender and let the other wing come up as well. After doing that a few times the defender pressing up in the 1-3-1 has to cheat and move closer to their own blueline and the boards... thus creating more space through the middle.

JustJim 10-08-2013 09:33 AM

I think most of his nay-sayers are harkening back to his playing days, he was a limited talented player who used his fists more than his hands when playing. He used to stir things up with his mouth too, ( can't wait til he argues with that **** Bylsma).
Chief is a better coach than people give him credit for. He understands how the game is played today, and will do his best to get the most out of his players.
He also won't be afraid to insert the young players into the game, which is cool, since the organization does have some decent talent within the system that hasn't been tapped into.

Embiid 10-08-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appleyard (Post 72211935)
If the indications are correct and we are going towards a 'Boston' kind of system I am ecstatic.

It is far 'simpler' in essence, and makes sure players are defensively responsible, pretty much 2-3 neutral zone by my reckoning, sometimes 2---1-2, but with the opportunity for the centre to have a lot of space if there is a turnover.

I think it suits the Flyers as well, we have an immobile back end (overall) without an elite puckmover (well, Kimmo and Streit can, but not elitely any-more.) But pretty elite offensive talent, especially at centre, and it creates scoring opportunities through pressure and turnovers... we don't get many defensive player end to end rushes anyway, so the old way (Lavis system) of doing it effectively left 2 players unused in the neutral zone (our D) when they are supposed to be the crux of our old 'system'.

Tbf it is pretty similar but with a few tweaks to how the Flyers played at the end of last year.

The Bruins make sure all three of the top lines share a defensive workload as well, especially in terms of QoC, this should help Couts and Schenn grow, and put pressure on opponents slightly more evenly, as some nights last year teams just rode out our 1st line and beat us with match-ups.

Hopefully we play against a 1-3-1 the way the Bruins do as well. We have the personnel!

That was the thing that frustrates me most when we come up against a 1-3-1 and look awful, is that we have the perfect forwards to counter it... on each line of our first two lines!

1 great passer (Giroux, Lecav)
1 board battler (Hartnell, Simmonds)
1 fast player (Voracek, Read/Schenn)

So if the Flyers played an intelligent dump and chase the personnel are balanced perfectly on paper to beat a trap.

Giroux or Lecav accurate dump, or bank off Hartnell/Simmonds, with Voracek, Read or Schenn as the 'Gunner', hitting the line with speed to pressure the defender and let the other wing come up as well. After doing that a few times the defender pressing up in the 1-3-1 has to cheat and move closer to their own blueline and the boards... thus creating more space through the middle.

I would be ecstatic if we had a Chara vs Hal Gill....

Having said this, I do agree that Berube might surprise and seems pretty smart about hockey. Like somebody said..a guy with his limited skill and talents has to know how to think the game to have the staying power he did in the league as an enforcer primarily. Also, teams like Calgary and Washington always welcomed him with open arms..says a lot about his character. I think the players will respect him and play for him but yeah he'll have to back it up with a gameplan to sustain that respect and get the buy in..something Lavi failed to do when he couldn't adjust.

FlyersFanz 10-08-2013 02:14 PM

Big mistake signing Berube without proving himself, interim till he gets the team winning and than sign Berube to an extension. If this doesn't work get someone in to coach.

Akanon 10-08-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFanz (Post 72222659)
Big mistake signing Berube without proving himself, interim till he gets the team winning and than sign Berube to an extension. If this doesn't work get someone in to coach.

Soooo... it's not possible to fire him after the season, if they don't get to the playoffs?

FlyersFanz 10-08-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akanon (Post 72222827)
Soooo... it's not possible to fire him after the season, if they don't get to the playoffs?

Course the Flyers can fire him but he still will be collecting a new contract, another money waste. I guess wasting money is what the Flyers like to do...

Protest 10-08-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFanz (Post 72223009)
Course the Flyers can fire him but he still will be collecting a new contract, another money waste. I guess wasting money is what the Flyers like to do...

Who cares, it's not your money, and unless I'm oblivious to some obscure cap rule, it doesn't affect the cap situation at all.

I also think it's premature to write someone off based on their playing style. Coaching =/= playing. And usually the less talented guys make good coaches because they got where they did by understanding the game.

Embiid 10-08-2013 02:49 PM

Berube looks like the right man to coach the Flyers
 
This was an inspirational article....I'm just looking forward to seeing some hockey where the players care....losing sucks but it is how you lose that kills me.


Quote:

Berube, 47, will stand behind the bench for his first game as an NHL head coach tonight against the Panthers, but this isn't his first rodeo. He was the head coach of the Phantoms in 2007-08 and led them to a 46-27-4-3 record.

Berube was so impressive after one season in the AHL that then-head coach John Stevens couldn't wait to bring Berube to the NHL with him. He was interviewed by Washington for its head-coaching vacancy in 2012, not a surprise to those who know him.

"He is intense," Darroll Powe, who played 76 games for Berube that season and now plays for the Rangers, told the Daily News yesterday. "He demands a lot. He expects you to go out and battle every night. Since he played the game, he gets a lot of respect from players. He is a guy who knows what he is talking about.

"He is a straight-up guy. He tells you exactly how it is, there's no messing around. You never need to guess."

Holmgren, who coached Berube for three seasons, said Berube likely will hold players accountable in a different way from the fired Peter Laviolette.

"It's 'maybe I'll give you one chance; if you mess up again, you're probably not going to get another chance,' " Holmgren explained. "Their ideas for the overall team concept, when it comes to playing defense, are probably a little different. You have to have all five guys on the same page. Every coach has a different idea of how to play the game."


http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...b0GIgCyqGEk.99

Beef Invictus 10-08-2013 02:51 PM

That sounds kinda like Dale Hunter.

PhillyFlying 10-08-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 72224167)
That sounds kinda like Dale Hunter.

was thinking the same thing, but thankfully berube has a full season in the AHL under his belt and many years as an NHL assistant. he's not jumping straight from juniors to the NHL. #optimism?

nevermore 10-08-2013 03:03 PM

At least Hunter reached the conference semi-finals.

lancer247 10-08-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFanz (Post 72222659)
Big mistake signing Berube without proving himself, interim till he gets the team winning and than sign Berube to an extension. If this doesn't work get someone in to coach.

players need to know that he will be there coach and they are not waiting for another guy to step in. There has to be some level of stability.

i wonder what lappy and paddock's influence will be with personnel. Both have spent a lot of time with the Phantoms so I wonder if McGinn or Cousins get a shot.

FlyersFanz 10-08-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancer247 (Post 72224685)
players need to know that he will be there coach and they are not waiting for another guy to step in. There has to be some level of stability.

i wonder what lappy and paddock's influence will be with personnel. Both have spent a lot of time with the Phantoms so I wonder if McGinn or Cousins get a shot.

I hope you're right, it will be a sad day if the Flyers go 0-4 tonight. Paddock will be a good asst as he has been a head coach twice in the NHL already. Lappy I'm unsure of, if he coaches like he plays.... great!

Embiid 10-08-2013 04:09 PM

Craig Berube draws influence from Darryl Sutter
 
Cup please?

Quote:

Every athlete who eventually becomes a professional coach, no matter the sport, has been influenced by someone who preceded them and, most likely, someone who coached them.

Mike Keenan, Terry Murray, John Paddock -- even Paul Holmgren -- all coached Craig Berube somewhere along the line during his three decades in hockey.

Yet there is one coach who Berube says opened his eyes. One coach whose style, he felt, was something to emulate behind the bench: Darryl Sutter


...Berube says he’s going to backtrack from Peter Laviolette’s “attack style” to one that is more suited for the personnel at hand.

“We’re going to make some changes,” Berube said. “Every coach coaches differently. I’m going to have my own style, my own way. It doesn’t make it any better than anybody else’s. It’s just what I believe, and how I want our team to play.”

What he wants the Flyers to do is become more active on their skates when they don’t have the puck. Initiate, not react. Get the puck back, create offense off defense. Put yourself in position to defend, then force the issue for a one-on-one battle for the puck.

Defense creates turnovers, creates offense. That was the philosophy of Ken Hitchcock as well, when he coached the Flyers.

Berube also wants his players to police themselves on the ice.

“You’re only accountable to your teammates, in my opinion,” Berube said. “This guy is sitting beside you. You want to let him down? You want to play like that and let him down? It’s unacceptable.”


http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...-darryl-sutter

oh and this..right on!

Quote:

Flyers fans are exasperated that their last championship came 38 years ago. Many of those same fans weren’t even born when the Flyers won their second Cup in 1975 against Buffalo.

“They definitely want to win here,” Berube said. “I think the fans just want hard work, and they want players that are competitive and give you everything they’ve got. That’s what the fans really look for here.

“They’ve always been like that. Everybody wants to win. It doesn’t happen all the time, but I think the fans just want hard work and competitive people, a good team game. That’s what we want.”

LegionOfDoom91 10-08-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyFlying (Post 72224263)
was thinking the same thing, but thankfully berube has a full season in the AHL under his belt and many years as an NHL assistant. he's not jumping straight from juniors to the NHL. #optimism?

Hunter is a different case though, he could have easily been a coach in the AHL or NHL prior to last year if he wanted to. London is an amazing program because of him & his brother. It's more of him not really wanting to leave there than it is him not getting opportunities.

I think Chief could be a good one though & have no complaints about the hire.

CyborgLindros 10-08-2013 04:38 PM

I wonder. Will our AHL players be playing the same system as the Flyers now? Could logic rule the day?!

Larry44 10-08-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFanz (Post 72223009)
Course the Flyers can fire him but he still will be collecting a new contract, another money waste. I guess wasting money is what the Flyers like to do...

Ha ha. The Flyers' payroll now is just about where it was before the FIRST lockout. They've been making windfall profits ever since. If you have to pay off a goalie or a coach, so what? Yet people don't like Snider...

Larry44 10-08-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyborgLindros (Post 72228169)
I wonder. Will our AHL players be playing the same system as the Flyers now? Could logic rule the day?!

Terry Murray has been secretly teaching them to play a team D game, against Lavy's orders. :sarcasm:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.