HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Are the Predators right in waiting to announce ticket prices? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=151226)

SmokeyClause 07-14-2005 02:44 PM

Are the Predators right in waiting to announce ticket prices?

Is the 'announce everything once the CBA is entirely settled' strategy good one? I am of the belief that ticket prices, while still some of the lowest in the league, need to be slashed. Is it best to wait around two weeks to announce that info (that's my estimation given Leipold's comments of waiting until the CBA is official and adding around a week)? Or should they announce these changes ASAP like many teams have done? I am up in the air as I can see the benefits of both sides. What would you do?

Of course, this is all assuming ticket prices will be dropped. If they aren't going to drop them, then yeah, I'd hold off on breaking that bad news too and hope it's drowned out by UFA signings and other things.

vopatsrash 07-14-2005 03:07 PM

I agree with the concern. Just speculation, but Leipold has been dealing with the negotiations, Poile has been working on the scouting dept and also on the competition committee. and Diller just left and Violetta was just hired.

I'm sure they've had a plan in place for some time, but i couldn't blame them if they need to make sure everyone's on the same page before coming out with their announcements. The worst thing would be for there to be some confusion as to what's going to happen with the Nashville public. If there is no decrease, I don't blame them at all for waiting because they can take all of their lumps at the same time.

If I were Craig and a gazillionaire, I'd have to say that the little bit of money they'd lose on lowering ticket prices would be nothing compared to the grilling he'd face when he comes back to Nashville

SmokeyClause 07-14-2005 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vopatsrash
If I were Craig and a gazillionaire, I'd have to say that the little bit of money they'd lose on lowering ticket prices would be nothing compared to the grilling he'd face when he comes back to Nashville

Looking at this economically, Craig can afford to take the financial hit that results from lowered ticket prices. But he can't afford to take the hit forever, and that's where the sticking point comes in. What goes down will likely have to come up. If they slash ticket prices, they are, at some point, likely going to have to raise them again. While the Detroits of the world have costs structures that allow them to maintain a significant level of price cuts, the Preds do not. We cannot sustain our goodwill gesture for the lengths that the larger markets can. But we need to make those cuts moreso than most of those markets. Despite ticket prices being incredibly low already in comparison (Dallas, for example, made huge cuts in their tickets, and it appears, on the face, that they are still as expense as Nashville), our market is too fragile to avoid such cuts, in my opinion.

So the question is, how do you cut ticket prices in such a way that it affectively heals a damaged marketplace but still allows for future financial gain? The Predators will have to do a great deal of marketing to make these price cuts the right ones. Losing money in the first few years to bring in fans is great, but at some point we need to bring in the necessary revenue to function. And bringing ticket prices back up will most likely be a part of that process. I think this aspect was largely ignored by several of the teams who have already made cuts.

I do not envy the Predators with how they go about this. As a fan who holds 4 season tickets, I love the idea of cuts. As a Predators fan who wants the team to succeed long term, I am very concerned with how it will happen. An extensive marketing project is necessary and already underway. But such a project would be premature if it did not take into account the new CBA.

braindead 07-14-2005 04:32 PM

I think you get more bang for your buck by waiting (assuming lowering of prices) and have to wait if you aren't lowering (to avoid being shot).

Two thoughts:

1. Increase the spread between single game tickets and package discounts to encourage buying of packages. As it stands now, there is little incentive to buy a 10 or 20 game package because you can create your own package on a day to day basis through the season.

2. Slash the weekday tickets and only modestly reduce the weekend tickets. This should build the crowd some on sparse nights, hopefully without reducing demand for the weekends. Then the Tennessean won't start every game summary with "An announced crowd of 8,500...".

In the end, I'm not sure price cuts do much to help other than as a goodwill gesture. The upper seats are generally full and the business buyers that are missing in the lower bowl aren't likely to be as price sensitive.

lstcyr 07-14-2005 04:44 PM

How would you all feel about variable game pricing? In other words, one price for a Detroit game and a much lower price for say San Jose. And maybe even different prices for a weekend San Jose game versus a weekday San Jose game?

I think it's doable but not sure what others think. It would make me consider going during the week more.

SmokeyClause 07-14-2005 04:49 PM

I think we are all coming up with good ideas:

Incentives to buy full or partial season ticket packages.

Lowered weekday rates.

Variable pricing.

I can't speak of the logistics of variable pricing (both on a team by team and night by night basis) as simplicity is always desired, but they are good ideas that I'm sure the Preds are looking into.

vopatsrash 07-14-2005 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstcyr
How would you all feel about variable game pricing? In other words, one price for a Detroit game and a much lower price for say San Jose. And maybe even different prices for a weekend San Jose game versus a weekday San Jose game?

I think it's doable but not sure what others think. It would make me consider going during the week more.

The New York Mets do this and it seems to be somewhat controversial in the NY media. For instance there are the "Gold" (or whatever term they use) games and they include the Yankees series, the Braves, the Giants, and Cardinals. The "Bronze" has the Nationals and Pirates and Rockies, etc.

But, the Giants without Barry Bonds is no longer a gold game, yet people paid gold prices. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but it's potentially one more thing they can be criticized about.

quartermaster mentioned the idea of 24% rollback of ticket prices to match the 24% rollback of salaries.

Based on last year's pricing here is how that would shake out...

1st row from $95 to $72
2nd Row: from $85 to $65
Club: from $75 to $57
Premium Lower Bowl: from $69 to $52
Upper Lower Bowl: from $59 to $45
Upper Level Attack twice: from $36 to $27
Upper level side: from $29 to $22
Upper level corner: from $18 to $14
Upper Level end: from $10 to $8

I liked this idea but that might be a bit drastic after the math is done. Maybe they can do "Upper deck is rolled back 24%" and the Lower bowl will be reduced to a lesser extent.

Seth Lake 07-14-2005 08:14 PM

Ticket Prices...

Back when the Whalers existed they had a program called "Student Rush". I'm not sure if they had, or have, this in Nashville, but...

Two hours prior to game time the upper level (nose-bleeds) at the Civic Center were lowered to $20 from $35 (talk about expensive) for all students that could present a valid high-school or college ID. Now in Nashville, I know that the upper sections are always full, but this would increase the chances that the upper bowl was sold out. Especially with the number of colleges/universities downtown.

As a fan of the New York Mets I'm familiar with the staggered ticket pricing system that they have and also the criticism from the NY media about the system. I do not like it and agree that it does have many flaws such as premature expectations on team performance, injuries to star players, etc. However, isn't this how college football tickets are priced in many venues? Aren't tickets to the games with big-name opponents priced higher than others? This is a possibility, but I might do something along these lines with the following condition...

Two seasons ago the Hartford Wolf*Pack (Rangers AHL team) held firm on their ticket prices from the previous season, however...they began charging $2 extra for game-day sales. Therefore...if you bought tickets prior to game night they were $18.50 (lower level, but still high for AHL) and if you bought them on game-night, they were $20.50. Regardless of future earnings...tickets need to be lowered. But this would allow the team to makeup some of the discount by increasing the game-day price. It is frustrating from a consumer standpoint, but would get most people to buy tickets early and would insure that the seat is sold, regardless of whether the person has a last-minute change or is just "too tired" and wanted to watch the game on TV.

Overall though I really think that the Predators are going to need to load up every home game with promotions and give aways to get the building packed. If they are successful on the ice, the fans will come back and sell out the building later in the season, but they really need to line up good promos early in the season to get people into the building from Opening Night onward.

This year is crucial for the Predators...with the Titans expected to have an off-year...the Predators have the opportunity to seize the moment, make a few solid FA signings, and make a drive deep into the playoffs, something the Titans won't be doing.

AL-Canadian 07-15-2005 10:46 AM

A possible reason for the delay could be waiting for the lottery draft results to come in. IF (I sure hope for a good IF) the Preds happen to land Sir Sid, then I'm guessing the drop in ticket prices might not be as steep as they will be without him. Could be a factor or it might just be smoke coming from my butt :p:

sparkle twin 07-18-2005 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake
Back when the Whalers existed they had a program called "Student Rush". I'm not sure if they had, or have, this in Nashville, but...

Two hours prior to game time the upper level (nose-bleeds) at the Civic Center were lowered to $20 from $35 (talk about expensive) for all students that could present a valid high-school or college ID. Now in Nashville, I know that the upper sections are always full, but this would increase the chances that the upper bowl was sold out. Especially with the number of colleges/universities downtown.

I have always thought if it was possible that student rush is the best for all teams to do.
Pittsburgh has a student rush program. It's the best thing ever. Show up at gate 8 an hour before faceoff, show your student ID and get the best seats available for $20 (well it was 20 a few years ago). One time a friend and I went to a Pens/Rangers game and got seats 6 rows off the ice for $20, the tickets normally sold for $60 I think.

I have no problem with the team waiting to announce ticket prices. They probably need to figure out what the season ticket holder will pay (because you know there is always a slight discount), and are likely weighing all these types of options to see which one would work best. And I don't think Leiopld has exactly been in a position to be formulating ticket price structures, lol.

As far as eventually raising prices (as in years from now), I think that as long as the Predators are competitive/winning and making the playoffs *consistently* that people won't have a problem paying a little bit more again.

crossxcheck 07-18-2005 08:03 AM

I'd definitely say they are waiting for the draft and to see who is re-signed/signed. Some of you might already know this, but I called to check on my season tix last week and they said they'd be sending me info on the new prices the first week of August.

Pattypred 07-18-2005 10:39 AM

Well, if they roll back the prices, then I've already got my down payment in for next year's tickets.
:jump:

muddycreek* 07-18-2005 03:48 PM

Weekday game tickets lower than weekend game tickets. Cut full season ticket prices 24% for the first year or two. Add a weekday game to 11 game ice pack (12 game pack-same price as 11 game) and two weekday games to 20 game pack (22 game pack same price as 20 game pack). That would give everyone a break and encourage larger crowds during the slow weekday periods. I would also give some serious thought to Junor season tickest and junor prices. The future of hockey in Nashville as everywhere, rests with the future genration of fans. We must do all we can to encourage young fans to attend games and get hooked on hockey! How about dad buy one get one junor free weekday? Dad buy ticket package get one free for junor.

NH_Predsfan 07-23-2005 10:09 PM

Did you guys see what Buffalo is doing with ticket prices? Kind of cool.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...23/1062349.asp

predperson 07-24-2005 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NH_Predsfan
Did you guys see what Buffalo is doing with ticket prices? Kind of cool.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...23/1062349.asp

That's cool. I hope the Preds do something similar.