HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Has the pressure of wearing the 'C' hurt Giroux? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1514917)

Victory5 10-11-2013 09:59 PM

Has the pressure of wearing the 'C' hurt Giroux?

Was watching some of the old 2010 highlights during that run to the cup. Even 3 years ago, Giroux looked more relaxed, creative, and driven then he looks now. I feel that after the series with the Pens, Giroux's play has not only declined, but he just looks uncomfortable in every facet of the game.

We cant fault Lavy for naming him Captain, he was the obvious choice, but has it hurt his play? At this point 2010 Giroux>2013 Giroux.

LegionOfDoom91 10-11-2013 10:03 PM

Who's Giroux?

jd2210 10-11-2013 10:04 PM

As much as will hate the Lindros deal till the day I die I will say that he certainly knew how to be a captain. No one since him has.

Victory5 10-11-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 (Post 72443061)
Who's Giroux?

Apparently the best player in the world

http://greatnamelist.files.wordpress...lette_all2.jpg

Victory5 10-11-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd2210 (Post 72443125)
As much as will hate the Lindros deal till the day I die I will say that he certainly knew how to be a captain. No one since him has.

Pronger?

In fact, I would argue that since Prongers injury, this team has completely fallen apart (outside of 1 series vs the Pens)

Garbage Goal 10-11-2013 10:15 PM

I think everybody except Mason has an invisible C on them then.

Appleyard 10-11-2013 10:15 PM

The C is cursed... by Bobby Clarke.

That is the only logical explanation! ;p Look at all the guys who wore it after him, injuries, fall outs, disappointments, stepping down etc etc.

Boxscore 10-11-2013 10:18 PM

No. not having good players around him has hurt Giroux. Hartnell and Simmonds? rotfl.

LegionOfDoom91 10-11-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustafsson (Post 72444301)
No. not having good players around him has hurt Giroux. Hartnell and Simmonds? rotfl.

Kris Newbury has more points than him. The excuses are running dry at this point.

I don't think it has anything to do with being name captain neither for the record. Giroux has been very inconsistent over the last two years though for what ever reasons. Maybe I just expected more after two years ago & shouldn't have/be.

Garbage Goal 10-11-2013 10:20 PM

Potentially entering another Richards-like era with "leadership" is going to give me a heart attack.

Boxscore 10-11-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 (Post 72444447)
Kris Newbury has more points than him. The excuses are running dry at this point.

Oh there's no excuse for not having ANY points. No question of that. But the teams is pretty **** poor.

Geese_Howard* 10-11-2013 10:23 PM

Looks like it

Victory5 10-11-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbage Goal (Post 72444487)
Potentially entering another Richards-like era with "leadership" is going to give me a heart attack.

Richards never played like the way Giroux played now.

Even during 06-07

Beef Invictus 10-11-2013 10:27 PM

Oh man, here we go.

http://img.over-blog.com/500x238/3/0...n-roulette.JPG

FlyerSithLord 10-11-2013 10:27 PM

The "C" is hockey is probably the most overrated thing in all of sports in my opinion. I really don't believe you become a bad player or a crappy leader just because of a letter on your sweater.

Plenty of players have been great leaders and haven't worn the C.

To piggy-back what Garbage Goal said, I remember plenty of people who are Flyers fans arguing with me that Carter was too soft and Richards had no heart. They get traded away and all of the sudden their partying and drinking didn't affect the Kings cup run.

It's amazing how problems and issues go away when you play on a team that has a goalie who can actually play. Something tells me Richards and Carter weren't partying any less in LA.

Garbage Goal 10-11-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victory5 (Post 72444811)
Richards never played like the way Giroux played now.

Even during 06-07

That's true yet people still questioned his leadership and maturity. Same thing here, just for slightly different reasons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord (Post 72444923)
The "C" is hockey is probably the most overrated thing in all of sports in my opinion. I really don't believe you become a bad player or a crappy leader just because of a letter on your sweater.

Plenty of players have been great leaders and haven't worn the C.

To piggy-back what Garbage Goal said, I remember plenty of people who are Flyers fans arguing with me that Carter was too soft and Richards had no heart. They get traded away and all of the sudden their partying and drinking didn't affect the Kings cup run.

It's amazing how problems and issues go away when you play on a team that has a goalie who can actually play. Something tells me Richards and Carter weren't partying any less in LA.

That's exactly what I think. People will fight with you tooth and nail that despite not knowing any of this for sure that Richards wasn't qualified to be a leader.

ILoveStephanieBrown 10-11-2013 10:36 PM

G has been bad so far this year but let's stop overreacting with this ''the C is too much pressure'' crap. It's the most overrated thing in all of sports. I have to agree with something Coatesy said is which is rare for me but if this slump was happening to him in the middle of the season rather than the beginning we wouldn't be making as big of a deal about it as we are now.

hckyplayer8 10-11-2013 10:37 PM

I believe the C has ruined Roo in the sense he now puts so much ungodly pressure on himself to carry the team, he ends up doing more harm than good.

By no means would I trade him, but it would be interesting if we could drop the C from his title and just go tell the guy to go have fun.

He clearly hasn't have fun since the Penguins series.

Garbage Goal 10-11-2013 10:39 PM

Out of curiosity, does the NHL require a player to have the C? Or can we just run a team with some A's or not even an A on anybody at all? It would never happen, just curious.

FlyerSithLord 10-11-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbage Goal (Post 72445783)
Out of curiosity, does the NHL require a player to have the C? Or can we just run a team with some A's or not even an A on anybody at all? It would never happen, just curious.

I guess technically you don't. I know teams that have had captains injured long term have played seasons without anyone officially wearing it.

Hell, is there a rule on the number of letters? Just give everyone an A and they can all wilt under the tremendous pressure of the leadership letters

LegionOfDoom91 10-11-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbage Goal (Post 72445783)

You can have three A's, you're not required to have a Captain. I don't know if you can do it for an extensive time though like more than a year or two.

Garbage Goal 10-11-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord (Post 72445909)
I guess technically you don't. I know teams that have had captains injured long term have played seasons without anyone officially wearing it.

Hell, is there a rule on the number of letters? Just give everyone an A and they can all wilt under the tremendous pressure of the leadership letters

I know there's a limit on A and C. Not sure of the exact number, but it's small.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 (Post 72445931)
You can have three A's, you're not required to have a Captain. I don't know if you can do it for an extensive time though like more than a year or two.

Makes me curios why nobody ever just runs a team without a C. Makes sense really, just would be awkward and controversial just for the sheer fact that it's kind of expected that a team has a C for some reason.

Common Sense 10-11-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbage Goal (Post 72446159)
Makes me curios why nobody ever just runs a team without a C. Makes sense really, just would be awkward and controversial just for the sheer fact that it's kind of expected that a team has a C for some reason.

It does happen. CBJ hasn't had a C since they traded Nash.

Beef Invictus 10-11-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victory5 (Post 72442773)
Was watching some of the old 2010 highlights during that run to the cup. Even 3 years ago, Giroux looked more relaxed, creative, and driven then he looks now. I feel that after the series with the Pens, Giroux's play has not only declined, but he just looks uncomfortable in every facet of the game.

We cant fault Lavy for naming him Captain, he was the obvious choice, but has it hurt his play? At this point 2010 Giroux>2013 Giroux.

It helped that, back then, he had Richards, Carter, Gagne, and Briere to draw attention away from him and give him room to work. Now teams can focus on him.

MsMeow 10-11-2013 11:18 PM

If you are a leader you don't need a letter. Watch Richards after every shift, he's always talking to the officials and when he's on a shift during a critical time, he talks to the players more than Sutter. You don't see that from Brown, Kopitar or Greene so the letter doesn't mean anything.

I don't know what's happening with Giroux but I have to wonder if he doesn't like being "the" guy.