HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Potvin-Burke-Belfour-Dunham (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=151554)

Barney Stinson76 07-15-2005 07:12 PM

Potvin-Burke-Belfour-Dunham

Where would the play next season??

Safir* 07-15-2005 07:18 PM

Belfour will be back in T.O. Anything else would totally surprise me.

I heard some rumors about Burke going back to the Desert Dogs. Maybe he'll take a paycut or something to play for them (so that they stay under the cap.)

Isles72 07-15-2005 07:23 PM

Burke will be hard pressed to get a gig as a backup

Hedberg 07-15-2005 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isles72

As will Potvin and Dunham

NewBreed19 07-15-2005 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isles72

Burke is very popular in Arizona and is a class act around the fans! I wouldn't be surprised to hear of his re-signing in phoenix. His best years were here with a piss poor team in front of him. I think there is a decent chance that he will be back tending goal for the yotes with a much more competetive yotes team! There is a slight chance that the bulin wall might re-sign back in Phoenix, but my money is on Burke because somebody is needed to help LeNevue along as a future number one: Wayne is a fan of Burkes also , even at age 38!!
:)

jumptheshark 07-17-2005 06:11 AM

Two will end up in Vancouver and Edmonton respectively

Chehabi 07-17-2005 09:18 AM

I can see at least 2 of those not coming back next year. If I was Potvin, I'd definatly call it a career right now.

Burke probably could come back as a number 1b to a goalie like Cloutier. I don't think he'd want to go back to Phoenix. He probably feels that he stayed there too long and didn't get a chance to play his best hockey for a contender.

Dunham will play number 2 somewhere if he doesn't retire.

Belfour showed last year that he has a lot of good hockey in him. I think he'll be back in Toronto.

It's interesting...goalies have no problem with playing when they're past their prime. Good examples are Moog and Barasso. Other players usually retire right away when they know they're not the same player as before.

Habsaku 07-17-2005 09:30 AM

The only solid goalie in that list is Belfour and hes at the end of his career. Unless they ask for very little money, the others could actually find no takers.

trenton1 07-17-2005 01:45 PM

Potvin was a solid backup in 2003-04. He'll be a backup again in 05-06, he just turned 34. He should end up backing up a young starter again like he did with Raycroft.

Hedberg 07-17-2005 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumptheshark
Two will end up in Vancouver and Edmonton respectively

Okay. The Canucks will take Belfour and Edmonton can have Potvin. Actually, Belfour will stay in Toronto and Edmonton will probably go after Osgood as a backup

kingsfan 07-17-2005 02:11 PM

I could see LA looking hard at Burke or even Dunham. i think they want a vet to go along with Garon till he's proven he's ready to take the full brunt of games.

Pinto 07-17-2005 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomACE
Belfour will be back in T.O. Anything else would totally surprise me.
I heard some rumors about Burke going back to the Desert Dogs. Maybe he'll take a paycut or something to play for them (so that they stay under the cap.)

Agreed

Roger's Pancreas* 07-17-2005 03:11 PM

There is a one hundred percent chance that Burke will be leaving Philadelphia.

Chehabi 07-17-2005 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenton1
He'll be a backup again in 05-06, he just turned 34.

That's such a shame. When he was a Leaf, I thought that he had years ahead of him as an top-10 goalie but he's already backup in his early 30s.

AG9NK35DT8* 07-17-2005 04:19 PM

Quote:

Where does that leave brent Johnson cause one of B.Johnson or Boucher will have to go and most likely it will be Johnson. Who right now i wouldnt mind seeing going to NYR with there unsteady goalie situation. JOhnson can be a starter and put up good #'s and is still young at 27 or so. NYR might sign Weekes, but may also go with Labarbera and Lundqvist combo or Labarbera/Weekes combo who knows. With Johnson NYR could go with Johnson and Labarbs or Johnson and LUndqvist which I would like to see.

SedinFan* 07-17-2005 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittlePenguin66
Where would the play next season??

Belfour back in TO (I read somewhere that he's only going to make 3.9 million) I thought it was much more than that.

Potvin would be a good fit for Columbus, have him back up Denis.

Burke most likely should retire, if not he'd be a good fit for Pittsburgh.

Dunham would be a good fit with Carolina as they lost Weekes and are still grooming Ward for that starting role.

Unholy Diver 07-17-2005 07:38 PM

I would welcome Burke or Dunham to the pens, they could use a vet to at least split time or hold down the fort till the youngsters are ready

SingnBluesOnBroadway 07-17-2005 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
Where does that leave brent Johnson cause one of B.Johnson or Boucher will have to go and most likely it will be Johnson. Who right now i wouldnt mind seeing going to NYR with there unsteady goalie situation. JOhnson can be a starter and put up good #'s and is still young at 27 or so. NYR might sign Weekes, but may also go with Labarbera and Lundqvist combo or Labarbera/Weekes combo who knows. With Johnson NYR could go with Johnson and Labarbs or Johnson and LUndqvist which I would like to see.

I'd take Weekes over Johnson.

Isles72 07-17-2005 07:41 PM

only so many gigs to go around - youth is served

SedinFan* 07-17-2005 08:13 PM

Quote:

What about Brent Johnson? I know he's nothing special but I believe he's on a 1 way.

Sens4Cup 07-17-2005 08:51 PM

I'm gonna agree with previous posts about Burke's return to Phoenix. As they spent alot of money in the free agent market, they're looking to ice a playoff team, and with Boucher and Johnson in nets, there's no way that can happen. You can't have two goalies with sub 0.900 save percentages on your team and expect to make the playoffs. If Burke stays healthy for the season, he'd be a great starting goalie for the Coyotes.

Belfour has I believe 2 years left in Toronto, so IMO there's no way he gets bought out, they need him much more than he needs them.

Dunham could end up perhaps as a backup to a guy like Denis in Columbus. Denis has been playing a ridiculous amount of games each year, and if they want him to be fresh, they'll have to give him some rest.

Potvin I could see just retiring. He's been bouncing around the league from one team to the next since 1998, when he was traded from the Leafs. He's not a starter anymore and is a subpar backup.

benji 07-17-2005 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zack Attack

Potvin would be a good fit for Columbus, have him back up Denis.

That roll will most likely be reserved for Pascal Leclaire.

burgess1978 07-18-2005 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zack Attack
What about Brent Johnson? I know he's nothing special but I believe he's on a 1 way.

Phoenix fans here seem to think that the team will keep Johnson over Boucher, since he's much cheaper. They have a prospect (Davis LeNevue) who looks ready to go but Burke is well liked in Phoenix and would fit a backup role in Phoenix nicely. I can see Burke in getting offered a front office job in Phoenix when he retires.

jjmcgo 07-19-2005 03:33 PM

Burke and Potvin are excellent in the role of backup-tutor to young goalies and they can win games.
I still want to see Burke as No. 1 with a team that can contend for the Stanley Cup. He was the NHL's best goalie just a couple of years ago. Wasn't he a Vezina candidate in 2002 or 2003?
He's also one of hockey's best ambassadors. I've seen him stop on the street and talk to people about hockey and there's no "big-time" about him.
He'll walk right into a broadcast booth when he's done.

coolguy21415 07-21-2005 12:15 AM

What do people think about Potvin to Vancouver? I read somewhere that they aren't sold on Cloutier, and Auld isn't ready yet, so maybe have Potvin as a stayover, he might even land the starting position?

Vancouver's on the way down, but it's better than backing up Denis I think.