HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gionta's role (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1515843)

HCH 10-13-2013 09:36 AM

Gionta's role
 
I have trouble seeing how Gionta fits in. He is a shoot first guy who is reasonably quick and drives the net but exhibits little creativity. Once in a while he surprises the opposition and makes a pass but most of the time he shoots, even it is from a bad angle. The rest of the team seems more about put control and setting up for a good shot.

Briere would have been the only winger I would have replaced last night and we know that is not going to happen. But I know Gionta will be back patrolling the right side when he returns.

How do you think he fits in best.

De Montreal 10-13-2013 09:47 AM

Normally I'm against trading our captain but if the Caps give up on Erat and are ready to swap him for a smaller contract like Gionta I'd do it.

Taupy 10-13-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal (Post 72530113)
Normally I'm against trading our captain but if the Caps give up on Erat and are ready to swap him for a smaller contract like Gionta I'd do it.

It would be wiser to keep that money for Subban, Eller and a defenseman at the end of the year.

coolasprICE 10-13-2013 10:04 AM

played our best game of the season without our blind mini captain...

Pax Macioretty 10-13-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal (Post 72530113)
Normally I'm against trading our captain but if the Caps give up on Erat and are ready to swap him for a smaller contract like Gionta I'd do it.

Hell no,

We don't need anymore assets. Yesterday was a clear example of addition by substraction, we looked WAY bigger just by putting Prust on the DD line.

De Montreal 10-13-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxpac (Post 72530701)
Hell no,

We don't need anymore assets. Yesterday was a clear example of addition by substraction, we looked WAY bigger just by putting Prust on the DD line.

Agreed, but my perfect plan would be getting rid of both Gionta and Desharnais and have Erat on the RW with Plekanec and Pacioretty. But it's sorta fantasy land.

Lionel Mandrake 10-13-2013 10:53 AM

I don't get the hate towards Gionta. He's small and lacks creativity, true, but he can still be very useful on a 3rd line, not to mention an exemplary attitude and ethic to rub off on the future core of this team. Just look at Edmonton to see what disastrous effects a lack of good veteran leadership can have.

We are a team built on scoring depth rather than elite firepower. It's important to have a lot of 15-20+ goal players spread out over 3 lines if we want to be successful. If you remove such a player, who do you replace him with? Thomas? Gionta is still a solid top-9 player and outside of his salary, which comes off the books at season's end anyway, I don't see in what way he cannot be a quality part on a good team.

Prairie Habs 10-13-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolasprICE (Post 72530535)
played our best game of the season without our blind mini captain...

You don't think there is a chance the team was trying to win one for the captain? Or are you among the group that thinks we should roll with Budaj indefinitely because he had a good game against Edmonton?

SouthernHab 10-13-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lionel Mandrake (Post 72531899)
I don't get the hate towards Gionta. He's small and lacks creativity, true, but he can still be very useful on a 3rd line, not to mention an exemplary attitude and ethic to rub off on the future core of this team. Just look at Edmonton to see what disastrous effects a lack of good veteran leadership can have.

We are a team built on scoring depth rather than elite firepower. It's important to have a lot of 15-20+ goal players spread out over 3 lines if we want to be successful. If you remove such a player, who do you replace him with? Thomas? Gionta is still a solid top-9 player and outside of his salary, which comes off the books at season's end anyway, I don't see in what way he cannot be a quality part on a good team.

I dont hate Gionta.

However, he does not need to be re-signed by the Habs as he is redundant regarding what we have in the prospect pool.

Leadership is not completely dependent upon age. Actions play a large role. Gallagher, for example, could easily fill the leadership role based upon his play on the ice. His work ethic and on ice ethic is second to none.

Captain Smurf 10-13-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolasprICE (Post 72530535)
played our best game of the season without our blind mini captain...

Debateable. I would call it our luckiest game this young season. Excluding the own-goal, the PK was lucky to not give up a goal, the way Vancouver's first unit was dominating the zone. Eller also isn't ready to handle the toughest assignments, as he, Briere and Patches were dominated in the possession battle against the Sedins. It was a tight game where the bounces went Montreal's way and Price played insane.

Gio plays tough minutes and produces in them. apart from Gallagher, he's the Smurf I'd like to keep the most. He's probably the Habs most underrated player. I'd like him back, but with Eller and Subban due raises, Markov, Emelin and Diaz UFAs, and the number of quality two-way, 3-4 D-men in the Free agent Market, it may make more snese to let him go if the money can be better spent.

I'd rather keep him and get rid of either Briere or Desharnais though.

Noob616 10-13-2013 12:50 PM

Kinda frustrating that a guy who's been a consistent 25 goal scorer with speed and two way play is now deemed expendable. Who do we replace Gionta with if we get rid of him? We're a better team with him than without him, cap space doesn't score goals.

LeMAD 10-13-2013 12:58 PM

Please tell me no one in this thread actually proposed we should trade him for Erat...

No Team Needed 10-13-2013 01:01 PM

Gionta fits pretty nicely as a veteran winger who competes every night, leads the team as captain and has the potential to score 20+ goals every full season.

I know people like to have scapegoats around here but you just look dumb criticizing Gionta.

StellerEller 10-13-2013 01:03 PM

Im fine with him playing out his contract and either retiring or letting him walk.

While hes on the roster, if hes used as a 2-way winger with no PP time id be happy.

the 10-13-2013 01:05 PM

Take off the C from him, sign him for cheap, put him on the 3rd line and I would be happy. Until then, I really hope he's no longer in team.

Jigger77 10-13-2013 01:10 PM

Love Gio.

All grit and character. Goes to dirty areas, timely goals, consistent 25 goal scorer, solid in his own end, strong skater and tireless worker. Also a lot of those goals are clutch and he finds ways to score in big games. Kind of player every team loves to have. For such a small player to put up the kind of numbers and consistency he has for that many years in this league you know he's doing something right.

LyricalLyricist 10-13-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noob616 (Post 72536767)
Kinda frustrating that a guy who's been a consistent 25 goal scorer with speed and two way play is now deemed expendable. Who do we replace Gionta with if we get rid of him? We're a better team with him than without him, cap space doesn't score goals.

Absolutely right but still, at the end of the his contract it might be worth exploring other options. Addition by subtraction is wrong but getting another player who better suits our line up might be ideal.

LeMAD 10-13-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the (Post 72537573)
Take off the C from him, sign him for cheap, put him on the 3rd line and I would be happy. Until then, I really hope he's no longer in team.

And who gets the C? Subban? (So he can whine even more to the refs each time he gets a stupid penalty)

There's absolutely no reason to trade Gionta, stripping him his captaincy makes even less sense.

NewHabsEra* 10-13-2013 01:19 PM

Gionta still has his utility on this team, he adds depth and can play on any of our first 3 lines... He is a dedicated player with great work ethic habit, so there is no point in moving him this year unless we are basically out of the playoffs race when come the deadline.. You let him walk this summer (for cap reason) and you thx him for his years of service..

No Team Needed 10-13-2013 01:47 PM

Hey it's pretty clear Montreal has terrible trouble scoring in the playoffs. Might as well trade the one guy who has consistently scored goals for us in the playoffs! Maybe for Dainius Zubrus.

dackelljuneaubulis02 10-13-2013 04:32 PM

I don't like speaking ill of him while he's going through whatever family issues that are confronting him but the simple truth is that this wasn't the first time we've played better without him. I've seen it happen many many times.

We just have one (definitely argue more) too many tiny players in our top 9.

Without Gionta, DD gets to have Bourque and Prust on his line and apparently that worked out a lot better. Having Gionta and DD on the same line just seems crazy and neither of them really deserve to be on the top 2 at this point.

He does work hard and puts up the odd goal and plays solid defense but I'll scream it till I'm hoarse that Prust would be more effective in Gionta's spot.

One of DD or Gionta has to go for the benefit of our top 9. It'll infinitely improve our top 3 lines if this happens.

I'll make a bet with anyone that we'll play so much better with Gionta out.

Lshap 10-13-2013 04:42 PM

Gionta's been injured and/or absent for so long that people underestimate his value when he's in the lineup. It's no fluke that he puts up solid points every year. The guy's a warrior and earned his "C".

That said, we may be forced to let him go strictly because of economics. Montreal needs every dollar of Cap space for the young guys whose contracts are coming due, plus allow wiggle room for a key UFA or trade. Looking ahead, a 36-year-old winger cannot be our priority.

dackelljuneaubulis02 10-13-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lshap (Post 72548185)
Gionta's been injured and/or absent for so long that people underestimate his value when he's in the lineup. It's no fluke that he puts up solid points every year. The guy's a warrior and earned his "C".

That said, we may be forced to let him go strictly because of economics. Montreal needs every dollar of Cap space for the young guys whose contracts are coming due, plus allow wiggle room for a key UFA or trade. Looking ahead, a 36-year-old winger cannot be our priority.

It would be insane to re-sign him. PK is going to have a huge raise. Eller will have a decent one at worst. Markov if he keeps this up will be re-signed at a similar cost. Something will have to be done with DD and/or Briere.

Jigger77 10-13-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 (Post 72547823)
I don't like speaking ill of him while he's going through whatever family issues that are confronting him but the simple truth is that this wasn't the first time we've played better without him. I've seen it happen many many times.

We just have one (definitely argue more) too many tiny players in our top 9.

Without Gionta, DD gets to have Bourque and Prust on his line and apparently that worked out a lot better. Having Gionta and DD on the same line just seems crazy and neither of them really deserve to be on the top 2 at this point.

He does work hard and puts up the odd goal and plays solid defense but I'll scream it till I'm hoarse that Prust would be more effective in Gionta's spot.

One of DD or Gionta has to go for the benefit of our top 9. It'll infinitely improve our top 3 lines if this happens.

I'll make a bet with anyone that we'll play so much better with Gionta out.

If you're trying to prove a point you should probably use a game in which the Habs actually did play better. They were lucky to come out of there with a win last night. If it wasn't for Price and that ridiculous goal things could have been a lot different.

And I'd take you on that bet any day. ;)

Personally I think we're better with a 25 goal scorer in the lineup than without.

Now, if you're talking about making a sacrifice to be able to pay Subban etc...that's another story. But saying the Habs are better right now without him is highly, highly questionable.

Lshap 10-13-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigger77 (Post 72553703)
If you're trying to prove a point you should probably use a game in which the Habs actually did play better. They were lucky to come out of there with a win last night. If it wasn't for Price and that ridiculous goal things could have been a lot different.

And I'd take you on that bet any day. ;)

Personally I think we're better with a 25 goal scorer in the lineup than without.

No question, Gionta still brings points, some net presence and leadership. For now. However, Montreal should be building a team for the near future, when Gionta will be two years older -- and so will Bournival, McCarron, Holland, Collberg, etc. That future team will need to use every penny of the Cap to sign our next wave of FAs, plus incoming ELCs. We don't have room for everyone and I don't want to trade a good prospect to keep a seat for Gionta.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.