HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   A question to Pred fans (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=151749)

Original6 07-16-2005 10:10 PM

A question to Pred fans

Now that the NHL has made schedules which are rival friendly I was wondering who this team is rivals with?

SmokeyClause 07-16-2005 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic
Now that the NHL has made schedules which are rival friendly I was wondering who this team is rivals with?

Detroit and Columbus are our most direct rivals, though I think the Columbus rivalry is more legit right now. That could change as Detroit should be more human next year than they have in our existence. We, as fans, really hate St. Louis. Their fans have an arrogance about them that completely belies their Stanley Cup pedigree. But I'm not sure that translates to the ice.

Calgary hates us, and we hate Calgary. They would probably fall into at least third. There are some fun matchups between us and Calgary: Iginla v. Vokoun; Trotz v. Sutter; Tootoo v. Everyone.

If I had to rank them, I'd buck the trend and say that Columbus would be first. Then Detroit followed by Calgary.

Original6 07-16-2005 10:29 PM

I remember seeing a st louis fan on the score(canadian sports channel) saying that in order to crosby big in nashville that they'd need to make him play hockey with a guitar.

Adz 07-17-2005 11:59 AM

That's kind of funny, considering it came from the St. Louis BLUES. :biglaugh:

Predzone 07-17-2005 12:50 PM

I always thought that Detroit was "our" biggest rival... due to all the Michigan foilks that moved down here for Saturn. Obviously when Detroit comes to town, the GEC sells out like no other time.

I agree that we probably aren't their biggest rival though, since up until recently we haven't provided a great amount of competition.
As other have said though, that should all change soon.

Columbus would definitely be 2nd on my list, and as Smokey pointed out, probably the most legitimate rival.

Radulov for Czar* 07-17-2005 06:23 PM

It would be nice if we could develop a rivalry with Atlanta, since they are the closest team to us. It's a shame we rarely play them though.

Guy Legend 07-17-2005 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
We, as fans, really hate St. Louis. Their fans have an arrogance about them that completely belies their Stanley Cup pedigree. But I'm not sure that translates to the ice.

Blues fans arrogant? As much as I love for the Blues and Preds to develop a rivalry, I find the most arrogant fans to ones of teams like the Wings, Avalanche, Maple Leafs, etc.

Probably the most felt feelings we Blues fans get are of frustration (based on history).

St. Louis isn't that far from Nashville. Before the Preds came on the scene, I can remember many hockey fans from Nashville driving up to see Blues games. Given their close proximity, makes logical sense to develop a rivalry.

Predzone 07-17-2005 07:32 PM

Well if we are talking about most arrogant, then there is no doubt that it's NY fans...
Islanders and Rangers alike!

Obviously that doesn't have any effect on who our biggest rival is, but it's two seperate discussions. Most arrogant is definitely Ranger and Islander fans... I would love to see both of those teams fall to the bottom of the league for a LONG LONG time...

actually the Rangers are already there.

Original6 07-17-2005 07:35 PM

Great site ^^ Preds are my second favourite team and Im a canadian ... :yo:

SmokeyClause 07-17-2005 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Legend
Blues fans arrogant? As much as I love for the Blues and Preds to develop a rivalry, I find the most arrogant fans to ones of teams like the Wings, Avalanche, Maple Leafs, etc.

You aren't the most arrogant. But when you consider the source, it is pretty disproportionate. They always stand out to me, and I know I'm not alone on this.

Guy Legend 07-17-2005 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predzone
actually the Rangers are already there.

Agreed. I think they have suffered long enough.

I hope most of the teams that spend lavishly have problems in the future for a while (except the Blues ;) ). In particular, it would be nice to see the Red Wings and Avalanche near the bottom ( won't happen though). I'd also say Dallas, but they were already futile last season.

Guy Legend 07-17-2005 07:47 PM

Quote:

You aren't the most arrogant. But when you consider the source, it is pretty disproportionate. They always stand out to me, and I know I'm not alone on this.

Well, whatever. I guess when fans are passionate about their own team, it might come across as arrogance to others. I look forward to the development of this rivalry. :handclap:

Btw, the Preds are garbage. ;)

SmokeyClause 07-17-2005 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Legend
Well, whatever. Rivalries are always fun to develop. :handclap:

The Preds are garbage. ;)

lol, the odd thing is that I don't think the rivalry goes as well either way as the CBJ and Detroit rivalries. It's more or less between the fans. I think the St. Louis fans just get on Nashville's fans nerves. At least once a game, it seems though it could be just once a year, they chant 1 yard short (referring to the last play in the '99 Super Bowl). I can't stand the Titans, but I hate when that becomes part of the game. When you combine that with the fact that they do a good job in travelling and they usually beat us, the door is open for obnoxious fans. Combine a good number with a good result and they get boisterious. And a lot of the insults involved 'red neck' comments and the like. It's not worse than the Red Wings by any stretch. But it's coming from Blues fans. It's like me driving up to Columbus and harrassing CBJ fans the entire game.

gallagher 07-17-2005 11:43 PM

Quote:

I think the St. Louis fans just get on Nashville's fans nerves. At least once a game, it seems though it could be just once a year, they chant 1 yard short (referring to the last play in the '99 Super Bowl). When you combine that with the fact that they do a good job in travelling and they usually beat us, the door is open for obnoxious fans. Combine a good number with a good result and they get boisterious. And a lot of the insults involved 'red neck' comments and the like.

I believe every bit of that. I also know that most of that probably comes from your expansion status. For years, Blues fans have seen the Preds on the schedule and thought "that's a win".

Your team is getting better and the Blues are swooning a bit, so that stuff will all start to even out. That's when the passive hatred on one side and abnoxious condescension on the other will become rivalry. Your team will start winning more and Blues fans will start getting more bitter. The geographic proximity helps, too.

Of course, even we we totally hate each other, we'll still be able to agree that the Red Wings Suck.

Guy Legend 07-18-2005 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas Drake
Of course, even we we totally hate each other, we'll still be able to agree that the Red Wings Suck.

:clap:

jstreet 07-18-2005 02:56 PM

well said, good sir.

muddycreek* 07-18-2005 03:11 PM

I'd rather have a sister that's a ***** as a brother that is either a Red Wing OR Blues fan. Both SUX! :yo: