HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   If your team received the first pick overall (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=151994)

SenatorsFan 07-18-2005 10:45 AM

If your team received the first pick overall

"Hypothetical": If you were to trade it, what would you demand in return? Keeping in mind the immense value of the pick, your team could surely receive equal value if not significantly more for Crosby.

At the same time, if you were looking for a top center and wanted to create a media stir in order to generate publicity, would you be willing to give up significantly more in terms of player talent in order to receive the pick?

Just wondering what you guys would do.

Old Hickory 07-18-2005 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenatorsFan
"Hypothetical": If you were to trade it, what would you demand in return? Keeping in mind the immense value of the pick, your team could surely receive equal value if not significantly more for Crosby.

At the same time, if you were looking for a top center and wanted to create a media stir in order to generate publicity, would you be willing to give up significantly more in terms of player talent in order to receive the pick?

Just wondering what you guys would do.

Yes

I would ask for a Lindros type package for it.

NFITO 07-18-2005 10:49 AM

I would demand more than any team should realistically be willing to offer.

If I got Crosby, he'd be very much in my plans and whether the team is contending now, or rebuildind, would still be the major piece that we're building from - both on and off the ice (in terms of fan interest and revenues).

Whichever team gets Crosby, isn't going to move him. A guy that can already step into the league, and could be a star player in a year, if not already, that is locked up under a rookie contract, is gold in this league now.

If you can have one of your top 2 centers locked up at $850K/yr against your cap, you're not going to be thinking about trying to change that.

mercury 07-18-2005 11:04 AM

It's hard to say what the Flyers would do. We have a million centers as it is, and two of the best center prospects in the world joining the team this year in Carter and Richards. I would not be surprised if, assuming we won the lottery, Clarke would deal Crosby for the 2nd or 3rd overall in order to select Bobby Ryan. I am sure he would try to ream the trade partner for all they are worth, and possibly foist one of our vets that we were going to buy out on the other team, too. Say it was Philly at #1 deaing to Edmonton at #2.

To Edmonton:
#1 overall (Sidney Crosby)
John LeClair
3rd rounder (from Tampa Bay)

To Philadelphia:
Eric Brewer
Raffi Torres
Matt Greene
2nd overall (Bobby Ryan)
2nd rounder 2006

The Flyers would then buy out Amonte and Brashear, and have enough money to go out and sign a top 6 winger, and another solid defenseman. That is the basic idea, though. I would want one fairly young top 4 defenseman, a solid winger, a top defensive prospect, and a pick that would get us Ryan. And to let the team benefiting from Crosby be the ones to spend their money to buy out one of our vets who is out the door, anyway.

Poochie_D 07-18-2005 11:05 AM

uhhh well heres an example of a deal i would except if i had the first overall pick :

To PHI:
1st overall pick

To MTL:
Mike Richards
Jeff Carter
Joni Pitkanen
2 first rounders

another example...

To WAS:
1st overall pick

To MTL:
Alex Ovechkin
Steve Eminger
Eric Fehr
2 first rounders

RJ8812* 07-18-2005 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poochie_D
uhhh well heres an example of a deal i would except if i had the first overall pick :

To PHI:
1st overall pick

To MTL:
Mike Richards
Jeff Carter
Joni Pitkanen
2 first rounders

as a flyers fan, id tell you to shove it! ha!

gobuds 07-18-2005 11:12 AM

I would start with that teams 5 first round daft picks in the next 5 years

mercury 07-18-2005 11:17 AM

I don't think anyone would do that these days. Especially not with 2006 being a very good draft.

DontCallPlayersStuds 07-18-2005 11:17 AM

Quote:

To PHI:
1st overall pick

To MTL:
Mike Richards
Jeff Carter
Joni Pitkanen
2 first rounders

another example...

To WAS:
1st overall pick

To MTL:
Alex Ovechkin
Steve Eminger
Eric Fehr
2 first rounders

And that's why you work at Arby's, rather than managing a hockey team. You might as well just say, "We won't deal Crosby," rather than requesting a team resurrect Christ to make the deal go through.

Rowley Birkin 07-18-2005 11:19 AM

I think you will find some crazy offers here.

For Crosby, i would just want a good young forward player, and a good young defensive player, and probably the other team's 1st rounder. There is exceptions of course, and if someone is offering a Lindros type deal, then i'd take that. Especially if it involved an elite goalie. There are also some players that i would probably take straight up for Crosby, with the pick, ie. Nash, Kovy etc.

I think my favourite deals would involve:

Spezza or Hossa & Volchenkov from OTT
or
Ruutu & Barker from CHI
or
Jokinen, Bouwmeester from FLA
or
Gagne, Pitkanen from PHI
etc.

Bruins4Ever 07-18-2005 11:25 AM

Here's what I'd do:

Boston:

1st overall pick

for

Minnesota:

Gaborik, O'Sullivan, 1st rounder

That's about what it would take from Minnesota to get him.

Or from Atlanta:

Heatley, Coburn, 2nd rounder

Or from Los Angeles:

Frolov, Grebeshkov, 2nd rounder

Or from Nashville:

Legwand, Suter, 1st rounder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No teams will give up more than that because they have all seen the Lindros trade, and it's not worth giving up half of a team for the team getting Crosby in the trade like many of you are suggesting.

Takeo 07-18-2005 11:43 AM

Havlat, Volchenkov, 2005 1st + 2006 1st, for example.

DontCallPlayersStuds 07-18-2005 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeo
Havlat, Volchenkov, 2005 1st + 2006 1st, for example.

Too much.

I think realistically, it would be

1 "star" player(not superstar, because then what would be the point)
1 first rounder
1 "good" prospect

For example, from Philadelphia...I'd ask for Gagne, their 2005 first(realistically needs to be top 5) and Richards

Seph 07-18-2005 11:52 AM

I'd package it with Chara and Bill Muckalt for...

ALEXEI YASHIN! :yo:

Takeo 07-18-2005 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
Too much.

1 first rounder
1 "good" prospect

For example, from Philadelphia...I'd ask for Gagne, their 2005 first(realistically needs to be top 5) and Richards

I highly, highly doubt that package would get it done.

GoneFullHextall 07-18-2005 11:58 AM

Quote:

To PHI:
1st overall pick

To MTL:
Mike Richards
Jeff Carter
Joni Pitkanen
2 first rounders

NO.

DontCallPlayersStuds 07-18-2005 12:00 PM

Quote:

I highly, highly doubt that package would get it done.

and i highly, highly doubt ottawa would offer the package you suggested.

Takeo 07-18-2005 12:10 PM

Quote:

and i highly, highly doubt ottawa would offer the package you suggested.

Maybe, maybe not, but it's the sort of offer it would take. Considering the re-emergence of the NHL and impending financial stipulations, Crosby will provide a viable marketing springboard for one NHL franchise. Any package will have to consider more than simply the x's and o's of value as they pertain to player performance.

A significant offer that enables Ottawa to retain Hossa, Spezza, and Chara is realistic, if not likely.

SenatorsFan 07-18-2005 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins4Ever
Here's what I'd do:

Or from Los Angeles:

Frolov, Grebeshkov, 2nd rounder

That definitely works in favour of Los Angeles. Taking into account the exchange of talent by both clubs, the deal is fair and would benefit Boston, but on the other hand you have to keep in mind the kind of media attention this will generate and hence the added value of the pick. Crosby on the ice = $$$$$$$$

CapsCrazy 07-18-2005 12:21 PM

Quote:

To WAS:
1st overall pick

To MTL:
Alex Ovechkin
Steve Eminger
Eric Fehr
2 first rounders

LOL!!!!!!! Nice try. :biglaugh:

Souffle 07-18-2005 12:47 PM

Quote:

Too much.

1 first rounder
1 "good" prospect

That's not such a bad template, especially if the 1st rounder is top 5. But it depends on the personal evaluation of the other players. I happen to really like Gagne, and see him as a solid 1st line player who's been put in strange roles. Richards, I'm not sure about. I would want better, just because I don't rank him as highly as other people might. I would ask for Pitkanen instead, and hold firm.

1st line forward or top 2 d-man (young-ish)
Top 5 draft pick
Top Prospect

Still not the Lindros deal, but decent. The big argument would be about who really qualifies as a top prospect, 1st line forward, and so on.

trentmccleary 07-18-2005 12:53 PM

Quote:

Maybe, maybe not, but it's the sort of offer it would take. Considering the re-emergence of the NHL and impending financial stipulations, Crosby will provide a viable marketing springboard for one NHL franchise. Any package will have to consider more than simply the x's and o's of value as they pertain to player performance.

According to the NHL, there is only one player in the entire league that puts butts in seats by himself: Mario. And to tell you the truth... people are probably only showing up to see the final, final, final farewell tour.

People will never let the Lindros deal die will they? ... Even after Florida received next to nothing for T-W-O 1st overall picks in a row.

Rowley Birkin 07-18-2005 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trentmccleary

People will never let the Lindros deal die will they? ... Even after Florida received next to nothing for T-W-O 1st overall picks in a row.

Crosby is the biggest most hyped prospect since Lindros. Perhaps Ovechkin comes close, and the Caps asked Florida for J'bo, Weiss, and 7th overall for him. You can only assume Crosby's value is higher than that to some teams.

As for Florida dealing the two 1sts: in 2002 they got the guy they wanted in J'bo, and in 2003 I assume they got their guy in Horton. They certainly had no place for MAF.

But some of the offers some will make/want for Crosby here, will indeed be ridiculous and stupid.

MojoJojo 07-18-2005 01:12 PM

Crosby has become SOOOOOOOO overrated already. These packages are a complete joke.

ProctorSilex 07-18-2005 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Crosby has become SOOOOOOOO overrated already. These packages are a complete joke.

No doubt. People saying Heatley plus 2 first rounders or things like that are out of their minds. There's no proof Crosby might not be the next Daigle.