HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Patience is a virtue (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1520569)

Kwayry 10-20-2013 02:50 PM

Patience is a virtue
 
First of all, let me say that only watched 2 games, the only 2 wins they got, so part of the blame should be on me not watching more often. :sarcasm:

The team is not playing well and there is a lot of venting going on. I understand that, but there are some knee jerk reactions that are embarrassing.

Hank was never good enough? Really? All those top Vezina finalist were a mirage, the Vezina itself was a dream. I find it quite depressing that with all the years Hank has been the reason for the team making the playoffs, as soon as he struggles he gets thrown under the bus. :amazed:

Blow up the team? Blow what up? This team is missing 3 key cogs, Callahan, Nash and Hagelin. Let's wait and see how this team plays with a full deck before jumping to conclusions. One of the issues I see, and there are many, is lot of people are playing out of position. Except Richards, everybody is at a 3rd/4th line player clip or worse. Tough to win with those.
Getting rid of the Pyatt, Moore, Powe would be a good start and replace them with Hrivik, Yogan those are good young/cheap bottom 6 players.

Full rebuild? You must be joking. You guys are giving up to rebuild after 7 games and you think you have the patience for a full rebuild? :shakehead

The best thing to do it have some patience to see how this team plays until the deadline then make decisions. Right now everybody on the team is worth pennies on the dollar, it's the worst time to trade assets.

Again, I understand the need to vent because of the current product on the ice, but come on with the hyperbolas.

Killem Dafoe 10-20-2013 02:54 PM

Mike Smith has more goals than Brassard, Stepan, Nash, Boyle, Stralman, Girardi, Zuccarello, Pyatt, Del Zotto, Pouliot, Moore, Fast, Miller, Asham, and Powe combined.

People are overreacting a bit but this team is a joke and something needs to happen.

Although, I agree not a full rebuild, but a shakeup at least.

Riverdale 10-20-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash Three One Dash (Post 72953827)
Mike Smith has more goals than Brassard, Stepan, Nash, Boyle, Stralman, Girardi, Zuccarello, Pyatt, Del Zotto, Pouliot, Moore, Fast, Miller, Asham, and Powe combined.

People are overreacting a bit but this team is a joke and something needs to happen.

Although, I agree not a full rebuild, but a shakeup at least.

He is the worst offender on the list.

He holds out, missing the pre-season and has done jack **** when the team needs him the most. What a major disappointment.

Kwayry 10-20-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash Three One Dash (Post 72953827)
Mike Smith has more goals than Brassard, Stepan, Nash, Boyle, Stralman, Girardi, Zuccarello, Pyatt, Del Zotto, Pouliot, Moore, Fast, Miller, Asham, and Powe combined.

People are overreacting a bit but this team is a joke and something needs to happen.

Although, I agree not a full rebuild, but a shakeup at least.

Shake up of the bottom 6 I completely agree with.

Kwayry 10-20-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverdale (Post 72954063)
He is the worst offender on the list.

He holds out, missing the pre-season and has done jack **** when the team needs him the most. What a major disappointment.

He is a building block for the future, he deserves sometime to get over his slump, or he should get the Dubi treatment?

Riverdale 10-20-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwayry (Post 72954235)
He is a building block for the future, he deserves sometime to get over his slump, or he should get the Dubi treatment?

I agree. Just saying that I am disappointed that he is nowhere to be found. We can't just blame everyone on the bottom 6.

Kwayry 10-20-2013 03:06 PM

Also for the people clamoring for Yak, as soon as he gets into a slump, he will get the Gabby treatment. "What does he bring besides scoring and he is not even scoring, trade the bum!"

smoneil 10-20-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwayry (Post 72953609)
First of all, let me say that only watched 2 games, the only 2 wins they got, so part of the blame should be on me not watching more often. :sarcasm:

The team is not playing well and there is a lot of venting going on. I understand that, but there are some knee jerk reactions that are embarrassing.

Hank was never good enough? Really? All those top Vezina finalist were a mirage, the Vezina itself was a dream. I find it quite depressing that with all the years Hank has been the reason for the team making the playoffs, as soon as he struggles he gets thrown under the bus. :amazed:

Blow up the team? Blow what up? This team is missing 3 key cogs, Callahan, Nash and Hagelin. Let's wait and see how this team plays with a full deck before jumping to conclusions. One of the issues I see, and there are many, is lot of people are playing out of position. Except Richards, everybody is at a 3rd/4th line player clip or worse. Tough to win with those.
Getting rid of the Pyatt, Moore, Powe would be a good start and replace them with Hrivik, Yogan those are good young/cheap bottom 6 players.

Full rebuild? You must be joking. You guys are giving up to rebuild after 7 games and you think you have the patience for a full rebuild? :shakehead

The best thing to do it have some patience to see how this team plays until the deadline then make decisions. Right now everybody on the team is worth pennies on the dollar, it's the worst time to trade assets.

Again, I understand the need to vent because of the current product on the ice, but come on with the hyperbolas.


I'm one of the most frequent preachers of patience, and I think we need some here, but I also think we need to consider what might be coming down the line.

Nothing should be done right now. Hank is adjusting to the new equipment. The players are adjusting to the new coach. Once again, half the team is new, so they are adjusting to each other. Key players are out. Now is not the time to make knee-jerk moves.

That said, if the team is still struggling at the trade deadline, you can't deny that there is a real opportunity here to re-tool if it looks like the current core is not able to make a run for the Cup in the next couple of years. We have a lot of valuable players coming up for new contracts. If this team looks like a mediocre perpetual 7th/8th seed, then I think you almost have to see what you can get at the deadline for some of our bigger veteran names.

You would basically mark a handful of players as unavailable (so prospects and young vets under 23 or 24 years old--basically McD, MDZ, J. Moore, Stepan, the kids and maybe Hagelin) and sell everything else for high end prospects a year or two away and picks in the first two rounds of the next couple of drafts. By the time Step, the D and the kids are vets in their primes, those assets will be ready to contribute.

Again, not something I would do now or if the team puts it all together, but this kind of move might not be possible next year (due to the number of expiring contracts). You don't do it just to do it, but not to consider it is just as reckless to me.

Bleed Ranger Blue 10-20-2013 03:15 PM

Usually, patience requires some sort of tangible end-game in mind.

I dont care that this team looks like ****. Ive certainly seen it before. I care more about how, for half my Ranger loving life, Glen Sather has ruled the Rangers in a meandering fashion that is simply unacceptable for 13 years. Ive been asked to be patient for 13 years, and I've yet to see why.

Savant 10-20-2013 03:19 PM

Any hypothetical rebuild comes with Lundqvist not resigning. If he leaves for nothing, the team is booted back to the Stone Age. In my opinion a lot of the rangers UFAs will not age well so I feel they should get assets for them. Also I really think Nash needs to be moved before his concussion becomes a bigger future problem. Look at how Pronger's concussion status has crippled the flyers. If you can trade Nash and buy out Richards that is an extra 15 million or so in cap space. Which would be great to repurpose the team on a three year plan.

Nothing As It Seems 10-20-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwayry (Post 72953609)
First of all, let me say that only watched 2 games, the only 2 wins they got, so part of the blame should be on me not watching more often. :sarcasm:

The team is not playing well and there is a lot of venting going on. I understand that, but there are some knee jerk reactions that are embarrassing.

Hank was never good enough? Really? All those top Vezina finalist were a mirage, the Vezina itself was a dream. I find it quite depressing that with all the years Hank has been the reason for the team making the playoffs, as soon as he struggles he gets thrown under the bus. :amazed:

Blow up the team? Blow what up? This team is missing 3 key cogs, Callahan, Nash and Hagelin. Let's wait and see how this team plays with a full deck before jumping to conclusions. One of the issues I see, and there are many, is lot of people are playing out of position. Except Richards, everybody is at a 3rd/4th line player clip or worse. Tough to win with those.
Getting rid of the Pyatt, Moore, Powe would be a good start and replace them with Hrivik, Yogan those are good young/cheap bottom 6 players.

Full rebuild? You must be joking. You guys are giving up to rebuild after 7 games and you think you have the patience for a full rebuild? :shakehead

The best thing to do it have some patience to see how this team plays until the deadline then make decisions. Right now everybody on the team is worth pennies on the dollar, it's the worst time to trade assets.

Again, I understand the need to vent because of the current product on the ice, but come on with the hyperbolas.

I'm not disagreeing with your overall opinion, but being that the only games you've watched were a 3-1 win over LA and a 2-0 win over WSH, you are LITERALLY the absolute least qualified person to comment on whether or not people are overreacting or to comment on the play of the Rangers so far this season.

You didn't watch 4-1, 9-2, 6-0, 5-3, and 4-0 losses. That's five games, in the first seven, with 4 or more goals allowed, with a differential of -20. Losing by an average of four goals, allowing an average of seven goals, having only had three forwards score for the team through seven games. If you're just looking at the record and the box score but not seeing the performance that's turned in DURING these losses, how can you possibly feel compelled to make a thread telling people who have watched all of the games to calm down?

Ail 10-20-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue (Post 72955003)
Usually, patience requires some sort of tangible end-game in mind.

I dont care that this team looks like ****. Ive certainly seen it before. I care more about how, for half my Ranger loving life, Glen Sather has ruled the Rangers in a meandering fashion that is simply unacceptable for 13 years. Ive been asked to be patient for 13 years, and I've yet to see why.

Only 13 years? Come on man you need to pay your dues. Thirty years or bust. :sarcasm:

Bleed Ranger Blue 10-20-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ailurophile (Post 72955485)
Only 13 years? Come on man you need to pay your dues. Thirty years or bust. :sarcasm:

25 or so - Sather has only plagued half my life.

Bleed Ranger Blue 10-20-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savant (Post 72955225)
Any hypothetical rebuild comes with Lundqvist not resigning. If he leaves for nothing, the team is booted back to the Stone Age. In my opinion a lot of the rangers UFAs will not age well so I feel they should get assets for them. Also I really think Nash needs to be moved before his concussion becomes a bigger future problem. Look at how Pronger's concussion status has crippled the flyers. If you can trade Nash and buy out Richards that is an extra 15 million or so in cap space. Which would be great to repurpose the team on a three year plan.

If Lundqvist leaves, the team shouldn't sign any of its UFA's and just start over.

Oh, and Sather 100% cant be the guy with the blank canvas

smoneil 10-20-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ailurophile (Post 72955485)
Only 13 years? Come on man you need to pay your dues. Thirty years or bust. :sarcasm:


Damn. I'm still three years away, haha. I still have a soft spot for guys like James Patrick, Sergei Nemchinov and Darren Turcotte.

LeetchisGod 10-20-2013 03:35 PM

Anyone who doesn't have serious doubts about the Rangers being able to legitimately compete for the Cup with this group of players is delusional. 2 years ago we had everything go our way in the playoffs and we still couldn't get to the finals. We have one "elite" forward who may be damaged goods at this point. We have no #1 defensemen. I love McD but he has shown very little offense so far. We have no elite prospects in our system.

Nothing As It Seems 10-20-2013 03:35 PM

The 13 years was referring to how long Sather's been at the helm. Most of us have been through the full 13 years of Sather.

Savant 10-20-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue (Post 72955825)
If Lundqvist leaves, the team shouldn't sign any of its UFA's and just start over.

Oh, and Sather 100% cant be the guy with the blank canvas

I have said many times. I give John Davidson the blank canvas.

KreidertheGlider 10-20-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwayry (Post 72953609)
First of all, let me say that only watched 2 games, the only 2 wins they got...

Maybe if you had actually seen how bad they were in the other games, you'd be complaining too.

They didn't just lose those games, they were embarrassed.

Bleed Ranger Blue 10-20-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savant (Post 72956431)
I have said many times. I give John Davidson the blank canvas.

Has quietly built a wonderful team in St. Louis, and seems to be turning Columbus around.

Probably the one lazy, predictable move I'd get behind.

aufheben 10-20-2013 03:46 PM

JD was in St Louis for 6 years. He's been with Columbus for exactly 1 year.

RangerBoy 10-20-2013 04:26 PM

The Blues won 1 playoff series with JD there in 2012. Columbus is 2-5. Same record as the Rangers. He inherited a bad situation in St. Louis and they did a full rebuild. A full rebuild is necessary. Some good pieces are already here. Davidson was there from 2006-2012. Columbus needs a lot of work.

True Blue 10-21-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwayry (Post 72953609)
Again, I understand the need to vent because of the current product on the ice, but come on with the hyperbolas.

None of this explains how the hardest working team in the league went to being the most heartless, the most disinterested and the laziest.

Trxjw 10-21-2013 08:09 AM

Said it before, but you could rebuild this team very quickly. It doesn't have to follow the Oilers model of taking for high picks over and over. There's a good core here to build from. Those pieces, plus a couple of good draft picks and whatever we recouped in trade, would be a very solid foundation for a good team.

I'm all for patience, and I'm pretty even tempered about this kind of thing, but Sather has managed to take the team from the ECF to the basement in two years because he has no idea how to build a team. Something has got to give, and frankly, I think it's going to be Lundqvist asking for a trade.

NYR Viper 10-21-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trxjw (Post 72983469)
Said it before, but you could rebuild this team very quickly. It doesn't have to follow the Oilers model of taking for high picks over and over. There's a good core here to build from. Those pieces, plus a couple of good draft picks and whatever we recouped in trade, would be a very solid foundation for a good team.

I'm all for patience, and I'm pretty even tempered about this kind of thing, but Sather has managed to take the team from the ECF to the basement in two years because he has no idea how to build a team. Something has got to give, and frankly, I think it's going to be Lundqvist asking for a trade.

I agree with the top. I think they could easily make a serious run next season if they sell smartly this year


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.