HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Pyatt Late Bloomer (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=15217)

JofaPads 09-29-2003 12:30 AM

Pyatt Late Bloomer

I believe Taylor Pyatt is the next great power forward, the question is when will he be? He has made small and steady improvements and he has the size, skill, strength, and grit to be a true force. All power forwards have a longer and tougher development time than other forwards and they are a hard nut to crack as to their development. Most elite power forwards start getting good their third season (Thornton, Shanahan, and Tkachuk are good examples). However, some like Bertuzzi take a LONG time. I am wondering if Lindy Ruff's style is conducive to developing Pyatt or if Pyatt needs to be traded to an offensive team like Colorado (Pyatt, Forsberg, Hejduk would be cool) or if he can flourish in Buffalo's system. Pyatt has a great attitude and plays hard, it would be great to see him succeed and be the next Cam Neely.

WhoIsJimBob 09-29-2003 03:02 AM

Quote:

Pyatt has a great attitude and plays hard
Is this the same Taylor Pyatt that i've been watching the past couple of seasons?

The Taylor Pyatt I've been watching only seems to really show up when he feels like it.

Pyatt has the potential to be a really good player. The problem is that he needs to let it all out every night and not just once a month.

Quote:

it would be great to see him succeed and be the next Cam Neely.
We must be watching two different players. Pyatt will never be Cam Neely. He doesn't drop the gloves enough and to me he doesn't have that killer instinct that most "power forwards" have.

I see Pyatt's upside more like a John Leclair type player than a player like Neely, Shanahan, or Bertuzzi.

WhoIsJimBob 09-29-2003 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL
I see him more as an Adam Creighton type...I hope I'm wrong.

If he doesn't improve that's about where he'll top out at. But I have some hope that he'll improve with time.

We just have to hope that Taylor has the same "light coming on" that Bertuzzi eventually had in Vancouver.

To me, Taylor is the perfect example of a guy that has had "flashes of brilliance", but needs to give that type of effort more often to be a really good player. The question is can he or will he play at, or very near, his best on an 85 to 90% basis?

Only time will tell.......

Mr Brownstone 09-29-2003 12:24 PM

I think you guys are being a little hard on a 22 year old kid. Pyatt will be a force this season and he does play hard when he wants to, with a winning team, he'll want to. And hopefully he'll play with Derek Roy. I'm not going to bash all of you here, but lighten up on Taylor. He's going to mature in a 50 point player within the next two years and I hope he'll continue to produce.

JofaPads 09-29-2003 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bob
Is this the same Taylor Pyatt that i've been watching the past couple of seasons?

The Taylor Pyatt I've been watching only seems to really show up when he feels like it.

Pyatt has the potential to be a really good player. The problem is that he needs to let it all out every night and not just once a month.

We must be watching two different players. Pyatt will never be Cam Neely. He doesn't drop the gloves enough and to me he doesn't have that killer instinct that most "power forwards" have.

I see Pyatt's upside more like a John Leclair type player than a player like Neely, Shanahan, or Bertuzzi.

All power forwards have longer development time and sometimes the developing ones look like they are not trying because they are trying to figure out how to use their strength and size against the best players in the world. If they are to careless and try to hard evey shift they will get injured. If they just fly in every time they will not have a long career. There was the same knock against Thronton though he did develop faster.

lecherous 09-29-2003 03:45 PM

I'm confused here. After watching Pyatt all of last season, I saw a guy who was a bit shy of the net, but played extremely hard and worked really hard. I guess he could use a bit more energy to his game, but he seems the quiet type. For the future...I wouldn't ever expect him to top 25g-25a-50p a year, but he should be a really solid 2nd/3rd line winger.

eSabre 09-29-2003 05:06 PM

Pyatt's due to bust out this year... at least 20 goals.

littleHossa 09-29-2003 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eSabre15
Pyatt's due to bust out this year... at least 20 goals.

I agree, he is going to bust. :rolly:

1970 09-29-2003 08:49 PM

I remember watching a Hockey Night in Canada one Saturday night last season on NHL Center Ice and during their intermission break where they had like 4 guys all in different locations talking hockey,one of the main topics was Taylor Pyatt. Most agreed he will break out into a Bertuzzi and they all said Bertuzzi showed the same signs growing up as Pyatt is. One of those guys said power forward position is the hardest to get adjusted to.

So hopefully their right. I'm willing to wait a few more seasons for him then i am for Connolly i can tell you that.

lecherous 09-29-2003 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL
How can someone who may top out at 50 points be a solid 2nd line player??? Are your expectations for a 2nd line scorer that low???

I've got Sabres disease, where 70 pts out of a player is mind boggling. I started becoming a fan the year after Mogilny (and all scoring whatsoever) left town.

Vlad The Impaler 09-30-2003 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brown37
I remember watching a Hockey Night in Canada one Saturday night last season on NHL Center Ice and during their intermission break where they had like 4 guys all in different locations talking hockey,one of the main topics was Taylor Pyatt. Most agreed he will break out into a Bertuzzi and they all said Bertuzzi showed the same signs growing up as Pyatt is.

That intermission would be the Hot Stove I think. It's a bunch of buffoons, most of the time having no idea what they are talking about.

Concerning Pyatt, I just can't see breaking out into a Bertuzzi. Ever. It's not even a possibility as Bertuzzi was already far more skilled and agile than Pyatt at this age.

I do not discard the possibility he could breakout into a power forward of his own. That would surprise me VERY much but I could accept that. I don't think he has the hands to do it, though. (my definition of a power forward has higher standards than some, however. If you label just about any big player who has some skills a power forward, than I guess he could be one)

He could still be a first line crasher. With 30 NHL teams, a player like Pyatt, who is still very talented can seize opportunities and end up on a first line. Heck, he's about ten times as talented as Andrei Nazarov who has played a good part of a year on a top scoring line in Calgary not long ago.

But he has neither the smooth skating, nor the skills of a young Bertuzzi. I just don't see it. To dominate, this guy will need to dominate physically. He needs to go all out every night.

And that requires time and maturity. He will be a fine player in a few years. Most likely right at home on a scoring line. You do not always need to be a top notch scorer to be put there. If you play a role on that line and help the linemates, there's nothing wrong with a decent-only point production.

He just won't ever be close to being "a Bertuzzi" in skills because Bert is just a natural and was one when he was 18.

WhoIsJimBob 09-30-2003 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabresIn05
I think you guys are being a little hard on a 22 year old kid. Pyatt will be a force this season and he does play hard when he wants to, with a winning team, he'll want to. And hopefully he'll play with Derek Roy. I'm not going to bash all of you here, but lighten up on Taylor. He's going to mature in a 50 point player within the next two years and I hope he'll continue to produce.

How are we being hard?

To me it's obvious watching the game that the guy has a lot of skill, but he goes long stretches where he plays like he doesn't care and is invisible.

For example, the game that he came back from the injury last year he got a hat trick and was a force. The next few games he was almost invisible.

He gives you a good game every once and a while and then disappears for long stretches.

He's like JP in that regard.

But maybe I've never gotten over the fact that he didn't hit anybody and wouldn't work hard in Rochester. Then when he gets called up to Buffalo he's hitting everything that moves and looks like a completely different player.

Taylor needs to learn that he can't dog it and only play when he feels like it if he's going to be a force in the NHL.

He has time to learn that, but if it doesn't happen within the next 2 or 3 years then it likely will never happen.

CelticSabre 09-30-2003 04:04 AM

[QUOTE=Vlad The Impaler]That intermission would be the Hot Stove I think. It's a bunch of buffoons, most of the time having no idea what they are talking about.

The buffoons you are refering to are Ron Maclean ( Don Cherry's sidekick) but knows alot about hockey...John Davidson ( associated with the Rangers) Al Strachan ( Toronto Sun sports writer) and usually a guest...I know the one time Paul Maurice was on.

I think their evaluation of Pyatt would be alot more accurate then your rambling on about something you dont even know what your talking about.

Pyatt is quick and I think pretty good skater for his size also was dominant in juniors as an 18 year old....why do you think he was drafted 8th overall :dunno: :dunno:

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 09-30-2003 06:35 AM

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...pid%5B%5D=4385

Ken Priestlay outscored em both.

Koltsov71 09-30-2003 06:56 AM

I wish that the Penguins had a player like Pyatt. I think he'll be very special a few years down the line. Hope to see him do well this season and in the years ahead.

Koltsov71 09-30-2003 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL
I wish the Sabres had someone like Mark Andre Fleury. Oh yeah we do. :blush:

What does that have to do with anything?

Devo-2 09-30-2003 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koltsov47
What does that have to do with anything?

I am not sure either, but thanks for the compliment on Pyatt. Itís refreshing to see a trolling fan post something complimentary on another teamís message board. Thanks.

Koltsov71 09-30-2003 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devo-2
I am not sure either, but thanks for the compliment on Pyatt. Itís refreshing to see a trolling fan post something complimentary on another teamís message board. Thanks.

Trolling fan? Not sure what that means, but the connotation doesn't sound all that wonderful. I read all the team boards here.

Good luck this season!

CelticSabre 09-30-2003 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL
Much higher picks in the draft have failed. Being picked 8th doesn't mean anything. Ever hear of Alexander Daigle?

I didnt say that becuase he was drafted 8th overall that he was gonna be a superstar...I was merely replying to that guy saying Pyatt is nothiin like Bertuzzi used to be because Bertuzzi was expected to be a star right from juniors..thus the whole Pyatt had high expectations comin out of juniors being picked 8th

Darth Milbury 09-30-2003 12:30 PM

[QUOTE=MillerTime]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
That intermission would be the Hot Stove I think. It's a bunch of buffoons, most of the time having no idea what they are talking about.

The buffoons you are refering to are Ron Maclean ( Don Cherry's sidekick) but knows alot about hockey...John Davidson ( associated with the Rangers) Al Strachan ( Toronto Sun sports writer) and usually a guest...I know the one time Paul Maurice was on.

I think their evaluation of Pyatt would be alot more accurate then your rambling on about something you dont even know what your talking about.

Pyatt is quick and I think pretty good skater for his size also was dominant in juniors as an 18 year old....why do you think he was drafted 8th overall :dunno: :dunno:

Pyatt was never dominant in the juniors. He never had the chance because he was quickly rushed into the NHL by the incompetent Isles' management. He was drafted after a 37 goal years (which is not big numbers for a junior player) and then had a 90 point year. He never really had a chance to put up the sort of 120+ point season that might be characterized as "dominant" in the CHL. Instead, he put up good to very good numbers.

1997-98 Sudbury Wolves OHL 58 14 17 31 104 10 3 1 4 6
1998-99 Sudbury Wolves OHL 68 37 38 75 95 4 0 4 4 6
1999-00 Sudbury Wolves OHL 68 40 49 89 98 12 8 7 15 25

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I don't think he'll be very good. I think he will be a wonderful player, and I was very sorry to see him traded from the Island. I just don't think it is realistic to say he was dominant as a junior. He would have been dominant if the Isles have let him develop in Sudbury (which is what should have happened), but that is another issue.