HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Will Seth Jones make the US Olympic Team? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1521705)

Cashville 10-22-2013 03:31 PM

Will Seth Jones make the US Olympic Team?

Interesting article on Sportsnet today quoted and linked below. It's obviously early and it's still a bit of a longshot, but Peters makes some good points. Kid has the drive to win when it comes to international competition, even if the Olympics are on another level. I voted no, but I don't think he misses by much.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...-make-team-usa

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsnet Article
It's very early in the process of putting together teams for the 2014 Olympics, but there's not exactly a lot of time for players to establish and/or separate themselves from other candidates this season. Most teams will be announced at the end of the December or early January. So if a player is slumping, he doesn't have much time to turn things around, while those that are surging have to show they can stay hot all the way to the final meetings where teams will be decided.

The U.S. Olympic management team, led by general manager David Poile of the Nashville Predators, will have many tough decisions. There is a core of about 15 or so players that look like easy picks, but after that, these months become more crucial to building a gold-medal contending team.

One of the toughest decisions Poile will face involves the player he just selected fourth overall in June's NHL Draft, Seth Jones. The Plano, Texas native has been better than advertised coming into the season, which is impressive considering the pre-draft and pre-season hype.

The 19-year-old blueliner is averaging nearly 25 minutes a night, playing on Nashville's top pairing with Shea Weber, with Jones playing the left side as a right-handed defenseman. His average ice time ranks 22nd overall in the league and among Americans in the NHL, Jones is fifth.

NoNecksCurse 10-22-2013 03:39 PM

he may get some consideration.. but no way does he make the team

TootooTrain 10-22-2013 04:02 PM

I love what he's done thus far, but there's no way unless dmen start dropping like flies.

Cashville 10-22-2013 04:07 PM

Sorry TMI; thanks for editing.

alexmanu 10-22-2013 04:16 PM

I wish there was a 'maybe' option. But if he continues to play at this level I don't see how you couldn't take him. I mean Ryan Suter is the only 'sure-thing' at D. Guys like Yandle, Byfuglien, Orpik, Johnson, Bogosian, Mcdonagh will all fight it out and I think Jones is playing better than a lot of them right now.

SeventyOneTN 10-22-2013 04:21 PM

I hope he doesn't. I am already worried about the Rookie wall.

worstfaceoffmanever 10-22-2013 05:04 PM

He's a long shot, but he'll be hard to ignore if he keeps playing like he has the first few weeks of the season.

Drake744 10-22-2013 05:25 PM

He may be deserving on the surface, but Poile probably doesn't want A.) to be seen as a homer, or B.) to leave veteran experience on the table by picking Jones.

101st_fan 10-22-2013 05:34 PM

The time to ask this question is in about two months. 7-10 games is not enough time to really see how players are doing this year and there is still way too much time for injuries to change the landscape. He's got the skills and some experience on international ice ... how well he holds up to the NHL grind and how his play stacks up over a prolonged stretch will determine if he's one of the 25 players selected.

Paranoid Android 10-22-2013 06:36 PM

Voted no, but I think it's within the realm of possibility. The defense depth for USA is somewhat thin, but I think Poile reserves the bottom two spots for gritty penalty killers like Orpik.

NSHPreds1835 10-22-2013 08:55 PM

Good question. Considering the 2014 Olympics will be played on a bigger ice surface if you were Poile would you take more Two-way and Offensive defensemen or would you want more defensive minded defensemen. Jones probably fits into the two-way dman category the best.

PredsV82 10-22-2013 09:50 PM

If all available players are healthy, he probably doesnt make the team... but if a couple are hurt he could be a good choice.. but as has been said, he's gotta keep playing like he is now

Predatorbill 10-22-2013 10:29 PM

First season is a long season for a rookie. From a selfish Predator's point of view I would prefer he had the rest, so he could finish strong. But my heart says I want him to make the team.

Cashville 10-28-2013 09:56 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...3920--nhl.html

I don't particularly care for Lambert, but he makes some good points outside of some questionable analysis about Josi. Poile's in a tough spot; Jones' performance would have to be clearly good enough for Sochi to avoid the appearance of GM favoritism.

Persona5 10-28-2013 10:37 AM

He will play top line minutes along side Suter and take the US team to a gold medal and we will have a post shortly after saying we should have kept Suter over Weber.

jk...

It will be a long shot for him to make the team but I think he will.

token grinder 10-28-2013 12:15 PM

I could see him making it if he continues down this path.

Suter and Yandle are the ebst puck movers the usa has, Jones may slide into that 3rd pair. I would take him over Jack Johnson for sure, Justin Faulk too. Them you have your meatheads and pluggers like Byfuglien, Orpik, Martin, McDounogh, Girardi.

dulzhok 10-28-2013 12:32 PM

Why has Poile never even invited Legwand to a team USA camp?

NSHPreds1835 10-29-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by token grinder (Post 73387983)
I could see him making it if he continues down this path.

Suter and Yandle are the ebst puck movers the usa has, Jones may slide into that 3rd pair. I would take him over Jack Johnson for sure, Justin Faulk too. Them you have your meatheads and pluggers like Byfuglien, Orpik, Martin, McDounogh, Girardi.

What about Shattenkirk from St.Louis?

Top 4 could be something like

Suter-Shattenkirk
Bogosian-E.Johnson

Cashville 10-30-2013 09:16 AM

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/98...power-rankings

As of today, LeBrun has Jones barely making the team in the #8 spot; Burnside has him just sitting on the outside after initially having him as #8.

Call me crazy, but I would do Jones over Byfulgien; I think the large ice surface favors a player like Jones by a solid margin.

token grinder 10-30-2013 01:06 PM

I think the unquestioned top 4 for Sochi is Suter-Martin-Faulk-Yandle
The next in my mind are Orpik-Jones-Shattenkirk-Byfuglien-McDounough-Girardi-Erik Johnson just off of what they bring to the table.

Suter-Faulk-Yandle are the best puck movers, but you have to be able to kill a penalty and block shots as well. Size isn't a bad thing as well. Martin does well with both. Shattenkirk and Jones are more puck movers while the rest are defensive dmen who do the dirty work on the pk.

Suter-Faulk
Yandle-Martin
Jones-Girardi
Orpik

would be what I took to Russia with me.

worstfaceoffmanever 10-30-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by token grinder (Post 73517537)
I think the unquestioned top 4 for Sochi is Suter-Martin-Faulk-Yandle
The next in my mind are Orpik-Jones-Shattenkirk-Byfuglien-McDounough-Girardi-Erik Johnson just off of what they bring to the table.

Suter-Faulk-Yandle are the best puck movers, but you have to be able to kill a penalty and block shots as well. Size isn't a bad thing as well. Martin does well with both. Shattenkirk and Jones are more puck movers while the rest are defensive dmen who do the dirty work on the pk.

Suter-Faulk
Yandle-Martin
Jones-Girardi
Orpik

would be what I took to Russia with me.

Girardi is Canadian. Take McDonagh, Shattenkirk, or maybe Carlson instead. I'm not sure how effective a player like Orpik would be just because the game will be a lot more open on the wider ice and there will be a lot less board work, which is where he is at his best. Otherwise, I agree; based on the sample size Jones has given us, he should be on the Olympic team in February.

token grinder 10-30-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 73521255)
Girardi is Canadian. Take McDonagh, Shattenkirk, or maybe Carlson instead. I'm not sure how effective a player like Orpik would be just because the game will be a lot more open on the wider ice and there will be a lot less board work, which is where he is at his best. Otherwise, I agree; based on the sample size Jones has given us, he should be on the Olympic team in February.

mea culpa on Girardi. I thought he was American. Then I would stick Mcdonough in his place

PredsV82 10-30-2013 03:25 PM

if the US plans on taking 8 defensemen whoever you take as #8 probably wont play any meaningful games and so the question becomes do you take Jones so he can gain valuable experience knowing he will be on the team again in the future, or do you take someone who probably wont play this time or ever again but is technically the 8th best US defenseman

lstcyr 10-31-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsV82 (Post 73524177)
if the US plans on taking 8 defensemen whoever you take as #8 probably wont play any meaningful games and so the question becomes do you take Jones so he can gain valuable experience knowing he will be on the team again in the future, or do you take someone who probably wont play this time or ever again but is technically the 8th best US defenseman

I think you have to think, if someone gets hurt, who do I want on the ice in their place?

PredsV82 10-31-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstcyr (Post 73568195)
I think you have to think, if someone gets hurt, who do I want on the ice in their place?

I think that's what you do with the 7th dman. With the 8th spot I think as long as you believe jones won't totally crap the bed if he had to play, you can consider taking him over a slightly better veteran