HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The End of the All-American Line... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=15222)

Flyman 09-29-2003 01:29 AM

The End of the All-American Line...

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/hockey/6885814.htm

Here is an article from today's edition of the Inquirer.

Interesting thoughts about the lines changes which are coming quickly?

I think it could be a good idea to put up Rex with JR again. Hitch seems to want to keep his second line intact (Gags-Zeus-Willie). The third is "set in stone".

So we can have these lines :

Rex - JR - Amonte
Gags - Zeus - Willie
Brash - Prims - Kappy
LeClair - Lapointe - Somik (if Johnny is still on the team)

If LeClair is scratched, Fridge or Chouinard will fill the open spot (on one on the top line, the other on a checking line of course...)

Your thoughts?

swflyers8* 09-29-2003 03:07 AM

Big John did great things for this team, but he's done. He looks lost out on the ice. Forget putting him on a line with JR and Amonte. Somik, Chouinard or Sharp can be put on that line. These guys can easily keep up with Tony and JR. In fact, Somik was on that line on Saturday night. John just looks like he has lost it. He's falling down on the ice, he looks like he doesn't want to be there. I think they should buy him out because he is taking away time from guys like Chouinard, Sharp or any of the other young guys we have. I love ya Johnny, but your time is up.

Dr Love 09-29-2003 03:44 AM

It looks like Johnny may make it to the end of the season without a major injury. Because he could wind up being a healthy scratch on quite a few nights. It's been clear that he is past his prime, but this drop off to basically useless is pretty dissapointing.

Cuiff 09-29-2003 03:55 AM

John had a good career here but I think it is time for him to hang them up

Teezax 09-29-2003 05:28 AM

Agreed, Clarke should have thought twice about donating him all that money, but we learn from our mistakes, Clarkie's been doing a good job in the last couple years.

VaFlyer 09-29-2003 06:59 AM

I sort of feel like this move is both about personnel AND business. Leclair has to much pride and still feels he is too good of a player to sit on the bench for all but 5 minutes every night or to sit in the press box 60 times a year. That is what he is headed for here in Philly. I think Hitch and Clarke want him to ask for a trade or a buyout. Make a player unhappy about his role, make him demand a trade, and everyone is happy. Leclair is either completely done as a player, or just can't play this system. Let's hope some GM thinks its the latter.

Dr Love 09-29-2003 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaFlyer
Leclair has to much pride and still feels he is too good of a player to sit on the bench for all but 5 minutes every night or to sit in the press box 60 times a year.

Pride can only get you so far though when you're just not cutting it on the ice.

Dr Love 09-29-2003 07:09 AM

:teach: I just realized Chouinard can play up with JR and Amonte and we can still call it "The American Express Line" or "All American" or whatever the hell we want to make ourselves feel cool.

John Flyers Fan 09-29-2003 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaFlyer
I sort of feel like this move is both about personnel AND business. Leclair has to much pride and still feels he is too good of a player to sit on the bench for all but 5 minutes every night or to sit in the press box 60 times a year. That is what he is headed for here in Philly. I think Hitch and Clarke want him to ask for a trade or a buyout. Make a player unhappy about his role, make him demand a trade, and everyone is happy. Leclair is either completely done as a player, or just can't play this system. Let's hope some GM thinks its the latter.

No, Hitch has had him playing with JR and Amonte all training camp. That's trying their hardest to make him succeed. It's not like he's been playing with Lapointe & Sharp.

He's been bad so far, and we have enough depth that if he isn't playing well he should be guarunteed a spot.

John Flyers Fan 09-29-2003 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
:teach: I just realized Chouinard can play up with JR and Amonte and we can still call it "The American Express Line" or "All American" or whatever the hell we want to make ourselves feel cool.

For some reason Chouinard doesn't exactly make me think of the U.S.A. ... especially the nice thick French accent he speaks with. :D

Dr Love 09-29-2003 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
For some reason Chouinard doesn't exactly make me think of the U.S.A. ... especially the nice thick French accent he speaks with. :D

Totally agree. But he's an American citizen [dual actually] so he gets in via a loophole!

For those who have no idea why, Chouinard was born in Atlanta.

VaFlyer 09-29-2003 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
No, Hitch has had him playing with JR and Amonte all training camp. That's trying their hardest to make him succeed. It's not like he's been playing with Lapointe & Sharp.

He's been bad so far, and we have enough depth that if he isn't playing well he should be guarunteed a spot.

Leclair deserved the opportunity to disprove Hitch and Clarke that he wasn't or isn't done. They have given him that, now it is time to move on.

Rex8 09-29-2003 08:41 AM

A lot of Leclair comments like
"hang em up" and "move on"
If we had anywhere to move on to it would have been done. We are stuck with him and his contract unless we do a 2/3 buyout. This is a very expensive situation for a guy who just does not fit in this system at this point. Very sad actually.

Dr Love 09-29-2003 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex8
If we had anywhere to move on to it would have been done. We are stuck with him and his contract unless we do a 2/3 buyout. This is a very expensive situation for a guy who just does not fit in this system at this point. Very sad actually.

Hopefully he's just in a funk and he will come out of it (and by that I mean be productive enough to not be considered a healthy scratch). Hate to see a player as beloved as LeClair suddenly just lose it.

Cuiff 09-29-2003 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex8

I think that most of us are aware of this. "hang em up" and "move on" are just expressions. I don't think any of us really expect JL to walk away from 18 million dollars

Chainsaw 09-29-2003 11:05 AM

John Leclair was a stud! I remember when we first traded for Johnny OT from Montreal and i was like WHAT? Rex for a above average d man ( Rico) and one John Druce kinda guy ( Leclair) and a relative of a great ( Gilbert Dionne). Was i wrong. Leclair and Lindros was a dou like todays dominating force up the street from me in Naslund and Bertuzzi . I love livin in thye past and even Leclair was done 2 years ago. Leclair reminds me of Tim Kerr when ur done ur done.

RoDu 09-29-2003 03:24 PM

yeah, Chouinard is bon in Atlanta but moved to Quebec as a baby I think