HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rangers: Sharp effort has Messier tootin' horn for Tutin (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=15226)

KING 09-29-2003 02:56 AM

Rangers: Sharp effort has Messier tootin' horn for Tutin

http://www.nj.com/rangers/ledger/ind...2359246790.xml

KING 09-29-2003 02:57 AM

Tjutin scores first goal

http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsro...angersweb.html

KING 09-29-2003 02:59 AM

Fresh Air for the Rangers

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/29/sp...briefings.html

Barnaby 09-29-2003 03:34 AM

Tuytin was very good yesterday.... I was very impressed. It seemes like he was nervous the first half of period 1, but then he flipped the switch. He was throwing hits, making a great first pass, pinched at the right times.... He was every bit as good as I could have hoped for... especially for a 2nd NHL game.

Melrose_Jr. 09-29-2003 04:20 AM

Is it too much to ask for Bridget Wentworth spell the name correctly of the person she's writing a story about? :rolleyes:

BLACKBURN 09-29-2003 04:39 AM

How do you spell his name?

I spell it Tjutin, others say, Tjustin, Tutin, Tuytin ..........

_P_ 09-29-2003 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
How do you spell his name?

I spell it Tjutin, others say, Tjustin, Tutin, Tuytin ..........

Fedor Tjutin

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/team/p...p?playerid=152

he was the best player on the rangers yesterday it was a treat to watch him....oh yes messier was horrible yesterday...he is so weak on and off the puck people are jsut pushing him around

DARTH SATHER 09-29-2003 05:04 AM

I think it's Tjtuin. I know their is atleast a J and not a Y. I always thought their was a Y in his name.

Fletch 09-29-2003 05:06 AM

Tutin...

was the spelling that was used last season.

True Blue 09-29-2003 06:24 AM

While I like the fact that FINALY Tyutin was able to play the part that we all envision for him, I will continue to use my "tempered enthusiasm" approach. A good showing during half a game hardly makes up for poor showings last year and again this year. There is still too much of a large "Malacough/Bobo Part Deux) cloud above him.
Having said that, he is one player who should definetly spend time getting as much ice time as possible in Hartford. Maybe a full season playing hockey in the U.S. will instill confidence in him about his game. As it is, for 2 years Lampman has looked MUCH better than Rootin' Tyutin. At least he has so far.

E-Train 09-29-2003 06:33 AM

It was great to see Tjutin get better as the game went on last night. It's gonna be nice to have guys like Tjutin and Lampman develop in HFD this year on top of Murray, Moore and Stals.

Actual prospects (drafted by the Rangers) in the AHL is a nice change :handclap:

BLACKBURN 09-29-2003 07:22 AM

I dont get the games so when i hear he (tjutin) hit people did he knock them over, slam them into the plexi, or just bump them? I heard he hit in juniors but you know how that does not always translate into a players NHL game. Also why is Lampman considered so good all of a sudden, is he a good skater, sound defensively, good in the corners? Thanks for your help guys!

#37-#93-#27* 09-29-2003 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
I dont get the games so when i hear he (tjutin) hit people did he knock them over, slam them into the plexi, or just bump them? I heard he hit in juniors but you know how that does not always translate into a players NHL game. Also why is Lampman considered so good all of a sudden, is he a good skater, sound defensively, good in the corners? Thanks for your help guys!

It's not all of a sudden, since last preseason he's been considered good.

Draft Guru 09-29-2003 09:34 AM

The name on the back of his jersey is Tjutin, although Tyutin and Tutin are all correct, depending upon which conversions you use from Russian to English.

Kind of like Alexei/Aleksey and Maxim/Maksim

Melrose_Jr. 09-29-2003 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aneirin
They'd have to use a cyrillic font for her to do that.

Ahhhh, touche'.

I wasn't aware that multiple spellings were acceptable, but it just seem like common sense to go with the translation that the player has chosen to use.

Edge 09-29-2003 12:00 PM

correct.

Russian to english isnt quite like translating french or spanish to english.

Blackjack 09-29-2003 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
correct.

Russian to english isnt quite like translating french or spanish to english.

True, but there should be a consensus on how to write it. It's his name, so if he puts Tjutin on the back of his jersey, why the heck would you write Tyutin, Tutin, Tujtin or anything else in the newspaper? Russian players in the NHL is nothing new, but I have never seen a Russian name spelled less consistantly than Fedor's, it's seems like it changes everytime an article is written.

Seachd 09-29-2003 02:05 PM

I agree if it's spelled Tjutin on his jersey, then we should write Tjutin. I'm just surprised that it's spelled that way. I think it should be Tyutin, to agree with other Russian names which use y: Ilya, Yushkevich, Yashin, etc. It's pretty rare to see a j used in Russian names in the NHL.

Edge 09-29-2003 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackjack
True, but there should be a consensus on how to write it. It's his name, so if he puts Tjutin on the back of his jersey, why the heck would you write Tyutin, Tutin, Tujtin or anything else in the newspaper? Russian players in the NHL is nothing new, but I have never seen a Russian name spelled less consistantly than Fedor's, it's seems like it changes everytime an article is written.

Yes i totally agree. in her defense i've seen it spelled three different ways on the ranger site so even if she does her research it's hard to come up with a consensus.

Personally i always tried to go with Tjutin but i think used Tutin once or twice.

Brooklyn Ranger 09-29-2003 04:22 PM

Most newspapers have their own rules about the way they spell foreign names and places. Until about 10 years ago the New York Times still spelled it Rumania (instead of Romania, which most papers switched to years ago). How Tjutin's name is spelled in various newspapers is an editorial decision not under the writer's control.

_Del_ 09-29-2003 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Most newspapers have their own rules about the way they spell foreign names and places. Until about 10 years ago the New York Times still spelled it Rumania (instead of Romania, which most papers switched to years ago). How Tjutin's name is spelled in various newspapers is an editorial decision not under the writer's control.

Despite my hatred for the Times, my money is on Rumania (and Tyutin, though noone cares, I realize) ;)

JCProdigy 09-30-2003 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
While I like the fact that FINALY Tyutin was able to play the part that we all envision for him, I will continue to use my "tempered enthusiasm" approach. A good showing during half a game hardly makes up for poor showings last year and again this year. There is still too much of a large "Malacough/Bobo Part Deux) cloud above him.
Having said that, he is one player who should definetly spend time getting as much ice time as possible in Hartford. Maybe a full season playing hockey in the U.S. will instill confidence in him about his game. As it is, for 2 years Lampman has looked MUCH better than Rootin' Tyutin. At least he has so far.

I just got to ask, where did this Malakhov/Mironov stigma come from?? Because he's Russian and he's everything that those two players could've/should've been? He's a totally different person from either of them so he should get no stigma. He's succeeded wherever he's played so far in his career and I haven't heard a bad word from any of his past teammates nor his past coaches about his attitude or game.

KING 09-30-2003 03:25 AM

But "he's going to be a great player," Messier said. "... He's going to be awesome."

True Blue 09-30-2003 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCProdigy
I just got to ask, where did this Malakhov/Mironov stigma come from?? Because he's Russian and he's everything that those two players could've/should've been? He's a totally different person from either of them so he should get no stigma. He's succeeded wherever he's played so far in his career and I haven't heard a bad word from any of his past teammates nor his past coaches about his attitude or game.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he's Russian. And it's just a little early to say that he's everything that the M&M boys should have been, isn't it? I mean, so far Tyutin has not proved a blessed thing. All he really had is an impressive half a game.
How different he is remains to be determined. There were rumors last year that his attitude in camp was not the best. That while players like Lundmark seemed to be actively trying to get better, Tyutin looked a little content with himself. And let's recall that his camp last year was a little unimpressive. There were also something in the wind right after the Rangers drafted him that said that he has tendencies to take games off and only play when he wants to. His play was termed as inconsistent. The fact that up to the last half of the Boston game, Tyutin's camp was once again thoroughly unimpressive did not help his case.
That's where the stigma comes from for me. He SEEMS like he has all the tools to be a VERY GOOD #2 d-man in the league. He has size, speed, a strong shot, and is not unwilling to take the body. He LOOKS like at the top end, he could be everything that the Ambiguously Defenseless Russian Duo SHOULD have been. Wether or not he lives up to those expectation or becomes just another player whose potential is largely unfullfilled (a la the Russian twins) is up to him.

JCProdigy 09-30-2003 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he's Russian. And it's just a little early to say that he's everything that the M&M boys should have been, isn't it? I mean, so far Tyutin has not proved a blessed thing. All he really had is an impressive half a game.
How different he is remains to be determined. There were rumors last year that his attitude in camp was not the best. That while players like Lundmark seemed to be actively trying to get better, Tyutin looked a little content with himself. And let's recall that his camp last year was a little unimpressive. There were also something in the wind right after the Rangers drafted him that said that he has tendencies to take games off and only play when he wants to. His play was termed as inconsistent. The fact that up to the last half of the Boston game, Tyutin's camp was once again thoroughly unimpressive did not help his case.
That's where the stigma comes from for me. He SEEMS like he has all the tools to be a VERY GOOD #2 d-man in the league. He has size, speed, a strong shot, and is not unwilling to take the body. He LOOKS like at the top end, he could be everything that the Ambiguously Defenseless Russian Duo SHOULD have been. Wether or not he lives up to those expectation or becomes just another player whose potential is largely unfullfilled (a la the Russian twins) is up to him.

First off, I never meant to infer that he has proven anything at the NHL level so sorry if you thought that is what I meant. I understand that he has much to prove as all these prospects do and I'm not gushing over him because of one pre-season game performance. I'll be the first to tell everyone that pre-season means very little.

These rumors you talk of are just that, RUMORS. You know how much credence I lend to rumors? Absolutely 0%. Everybody on here wants talk how the way this team handles its prospects undermines their psyche and ruins them. Well, what the hell do you think that rumors do to a young players psyche? Neither you nor I were on the ice during practices or training camp. The only one's that were are the coaches and other players and I haven't heard word one from them about his indifference on the ice or his attitude.

The guy is what? 20 years old? And you don't expect him to be a little unimpressive in his first two camps at the NHL when he's missed most of this past season and has had no North American professional experience? In fact, the only thing I've heard from the team is that he might've been a little tentative or overwhelmed by the experience. To me that's understandable. And I've never heard of a 20 year old having a problem with consistency. It also seems that every time a player under performs that fans and the like want to claim that he didn't show up or isn't trying out there. Sometimes that can be further from the truth. Honestly I don't know what the case is with Tjutin because I haven't played a game with him or coached him and those are truly the only people that could/should lay that stigma on him. Until they do so, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.