HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Hellberg deserves a shot (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1524207)

predshabs 10-25-2013 09:50 PM

Hellberg deserves a shot

I know this is not going to be popular but I believe we need to see what we have in Magnus Hellberg for one of two reasons. Either to see what we have in case the Rinne infection is worse than first known or to see what we have to trade Rinne for offensive talent for the future. There are plenty of teams who need Rinne and if Hellberg is ready give him the team. Rinne could fetch us a #1 Center or something of great value for years to come. So what do you think should we give Hellberg a shot or not?

Paulinho 10-25-2013 09:57 PM

No. No need to panic, just let him back up and get a start here and there.

PredsV82 10-25-2013 10:05 PM

The situation with Rinne is a paradox. If he returns to full form, we need him and there's no way Hellburg is going to be that good yet. If he's not the same Rinne after the injury, nobody is going to trade for him with T more years at 7 mil on his contract.

So just chill, let Hutton carry the load with Hellberg getting a start in selected BTBs

Iron Duke 10-25-2013 10:11 PM

Always good to see what we have, but I think you're way overestimating Rinne's possible value. Goalies rarely return as high a trade value as one would expect. These articles are an interesting read on the topic:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...e-trade-market
http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...er-trade-value
http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.co...g-a-top-goalie

The only ones which really involved what would could be considered 1st line players were the Luongo trade, which brought back Bertuzzi (post-Steve Moore Bert), and the Brad Richards deal, which involved Mike Smith. Overall, the returns are pretty underwhelming, and I don't see Rinne's $7M per being any more enticing a part of the deal either.

predshabs 10-25-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Duke (Post 73248179)
Always good to see what we have, but I think you're way overestimating Rinne's possible value. Goalies rarely return as high a trade value as one would expect. These articles are an interesting read on the topic:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...e-trade-market
http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...er-trade-value
http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.co...g-a-top-goalie

The only ones which really involved what would could be considered 1st line players were the Luongo trade, which brought back Bertuzzi (post-Steve Moore Bert), and the Brad Richards deal, which involved Mike Smith. Overall, the returns are pretty underwhelming, and I don't see Rinne's $7M per being any more enticing a part of the deal either.

Very interesting reads.

dulzhok 10-25-2013 10:36 PM

Even if Hellberg starts 10 games, we won't know what we have. Way too small of a sample size.

Nashville Transplant 10-25-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 73249489)
Even if Hellberg starts 10 games, we won't know what we have. Way too small of a sample size.

Hutton is in a similar situation. Both will get some games over the next 4 weeks...

PredsV82 10-26-2013 05:40 AM

Best case scenario:

Rinne returns with no drop off in play

Hutton impresses in his absence

Hellberg gets valuable experience

eventually we trade Hutton for some decent assets like we did with Lindback

Hellberg becomes the backup for a couple of years then challenges Rinne for the starting spot as Rinne's contract nears its end

Worst case scenario:

Rinne is never the same, Hutton is not great, and Hellberg is not ready for prime time for another three years

kypredsfan 10-26-2013 08:19 AM

I agree he needs a shot, but just a few here and now for now. Let Hutton prove his worth (and he has so far).

braindead 10-26-2013 08:24 AM

He will get his shot. On a different night against a different team, Hutton is going to get burned by his rebounds and it will be ugly.

PFL615 10-26-2013 08:50 AM

No you don't trade one of your legit superstars for the grass may be greener on the other side philosophy.

BigFatCat999 10-26-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsV82 (Post 73255397)
Best case scenario:

Hellberg becomes the backup for a couple of years then challenges Rinne for the starting spot as Rinne's contract nears its end

Worst case scenario:

Rinne is never the same, Hutton is not great, and Hellberg is not ready for prime time for another three years

True, so true. Also let's wait till Get Carter needs a rest.

adsfan 10-26-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsV82 (Post 73255397)
Best case scenario:

Worst case scenario:

I am not a doctor; who really knows how it will turn out for Rinne?

Hutton was like a wall in the AHL. That serve him well in the NHL.

Hellberg, IMO, should be ready for the NHL next season, at least as a back up. This is his year to dominate in the AHL. He showed good growth last season in Milwaukee, his first in North America.

I believe that Nashville will be okay with Hutton and Hellberg, at least for November. I am more concerned about the Preds scoring ability. I am afraid of Nashville being on the wrong end of 1-0 and 2-1 games.

This will give me a chance to see Mazanec and Darling (Cincinnati call up) play. They may be the goalies of the future.

Seth Lake 10-26-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adsfan (Post 73261339)
I am not a doctor; who really knows how it will turn out for Rinne?

Hutton was like a wall in the AHL. That serve him well in the NHL.

Hellberg, IMO, should be ready for the NHL next season, at least as a back up. This is his year to dominate in the AHL. He showed good growth last season in Milwaukee, his first in North America.

I believe that Nashville will be okay with Hutton and Hellberg, at least for November. I am more concerned about the Preds scoring ability. I am afraid of Nashville being on the wrong end of 1-0 and 2-1 games.

Agreed, I think that Hutton continues to improve his game under the daily direction of Mitch Korn and being challenged by NHL shooters and with Hellberg now getting that same opportunity he too will be able to step up his game and continue his development path to the NHL for next season.

All you ask your goalie to do is give the team a chance to win the game. I think Hutton and Hellberg can do that for the next month-plus, but they cannot score goals which are needed to win. They've gotta get help in front of them.

Quote:

This will give me a chance to see Mazanec and Darling (Cincinnati call up) play. They may be the goalies of the future.
Mazanec was very impressive in training camp when Hellberg went down. I think this will be a great opportunity for him to get quality playing time while Hellberg is in Nashville.

Darling though is going to improve by facing better competition even as a backup to Mazanec in Milwaukee. He is No. 5 on the depth chart this season, but the team would likely sign a free agent before bringing him up at this point.

Juuse Saros and Janne Juvonen were drafted this past summer and will be fighting their way into the system soon enough. They are the future behind Hellberg and Mazanec.

adsfan 10-26-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Lake (Post 73262039)
Agreed, I think that Hutton continues to improve his game under the daily direction of Mitch Korn and being challenged by NHL shooters and with Hellberg now getting that same opportunity he too will be able to step up his game and continue his development path to the NHL for next season.

All you ask your goalie to do is give the team a chance to win the game. I think Hutton and Hellberg can do that for the next month-plus, but they cannot score goals which are needed to win. They've gotta get help in front of them.

Mazanec was very impressive in training camp when Hellberg went down. I think this will be a great opportunity for him to get quality playing time while Hellberg is in Nashville.

Darling though is going to improve by facing better competition even as a backup to Mazanec in Milwaukee. He is No. 5 on the depth chart this season, but the team would likely sign a free agent before bringing him up at this point.

Juuse Saros and Janne Juvonen were drafted this past summer and will be fighting their way into the system soon enough. They are the future behind Hellberg and Mazanec.

I think you misunderstood. The future for Mazanec or Darling in Nashville is 3 to 5 years away, not this season. I haven't seen either one play in person yet!

Mazanec won at Grand Rapids last Friday, last year's Calder Cup champions. They have a lot of guys back this year. That is a good sign for Milwaukee this season.

Soundgarden 10-26-2013 04:10 PM

He'll get a shot eventually, I'm sure just sitting on the bench will prove to be a good learning experience for him. Not to mention practicing with Korn this month.

Gnashville 10-26-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predshabs (Post 73246729)
I know this is not going to be popular but I believe we need to see what we have in Magnus Hellberg for one of two reasons. Either to see what we have in case the Rinne infection is worse than first known or to see what we have to trade Rinne for offensive talent for the future. There are plenty of teams who need Rinne and if Hellberg is ready give him the team. Rinne could fetch us a #1 Center or something of great value for years to come. So what do you think should we give Hellberg a shot or not?

The only thing you said right was "this is not going to be popular"

CantbeatzPekka 10-26-2013 04:45 PM

holy shark jumping batman

101st_fan 10-26-2013 05:11 PM

It didn't even take 48 hours from finding out Hellberg was called up ... less than that from the time we found out what the issue is ... for this to pop up. Once again we see the all too common overreaction.

triggrman 10-26-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101st_fan (Post 73276553)
It didn't even take 48 hours from finding out Hellberg was called up ... less than that from the time we found out what the issue is ... for this to pop up. Once again we see the all too common overreaction.

Crazy but predictable.

Nashville Transplant 10-26-2013 10:42 PM

well, he got a shot... and missed it :) then he made three saves!

adsfan 10-26-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nashville Transplant (Post 73309487)
well, he got a shot... and missed it :) then he made three saves!

He isn't Dave Reece!

predshabs 10-26-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predshabs (Post 73246729)
I believe we need to see what we have in Magnus Hellberg for one of two reasons.

Did you miss this part of my original post?

Nashville Transplant 10-27-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adsfan (Post 73309819)
He isn't Dave Reece!

I'm old enough to have seen Dave Reece play, but I don't get the context. Fill me in :)