HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mark Scheifele vs Ryan Johansen (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1525425)

Qubax 10-27-2013 05:45 PM

Mark Scheifele vs Ryan Johansen

Both recent first round picks that rose up the draft charts late in their draft year.

There transition to being NHL regulars hasn't been too fast or too slow and but right on schedule.

Which of these two do you favour? Will either or both bust?

Dempsey 10-27-2013 05:52 PM

Comparing their 20-year-old seasons (Johansen last year and Scheifele's current season), I'd say they're pretty much even.

I'd be interested to see how Scheifele could do in the AHL. Johansen was good last year down there and now is much improved in his 21-year-old season. Many will say Johansen is better currently (and he probably is and should be, as the older player), but we'll have to see how Scheifele is by this point next year to fairly take Ryan Johansen's current season into consideration when comparing their development.

stevo61 10-27-2013 05:57 PM

Well I've been quite hard on both of them and I haven't seen Schiefele at all this year really but i have seen every game by Johansen and am beyond happy. Last year the defensive skill was there but that was about it. This year the defense is there, a beast on the FO and has finally started figuring out the offensive side and realizing how big he really is and how to control a game. He's packed on over 20lbs of muscle since drafted and is finally learning how to use it. Starting to become the Thornton lite a lot of us were hoping for. (No im not saying he is going to be the next Thornton or in even close to being in the same league but play a similar game of controlling the puck for extended periods and finding open men with nice passes)

umwoz 10-27-2013 06:23 PM

Scheifele has improved every game this year for the peg. He seems to grip the stick a little at times though. He will create a beautiful chance for himself or someone else and just blank the finish.

Have a feeling this is a kink he will iron out, as he is only a handful of games into his career in the NHL.

TheJuxtaposer 10-27-2013 06:59 PM

Scheifele has been slightly underwhelming, but I have no doubt he'll put it together.

Meanwhile, Johansen looks like he's really putting it together. Has been really impressive from what I've seen.

CBJBrassard16 10-27-2013 11:26 PM

I haven't watched Scheifele, so I can only talk about Johansen.

He's already the Jackets most dependable center in the DZone. He wins tons of draws and is very reliable. Now he is starting to put up points in bunches and is showing why he was a 4th overall pick. Now a 2nd line player, and quickly rising.

Whileee 10-28-2013 12:59 AM

Scheifele still needs to develop strength and adjust to the pace of the pro game. He's had some good games, but can be pretty insignificant against big, fast teams in the Western Conference. I think he could use some AHL time, but the Jets don't have any ready prospects better than him. He does show signs of significant offensive prowess, but his lack of strength is letting him down. For the most part, he's worked well on his 200-ft game.

maroon 6 10-28-2013 01:12 AM

If I had to pick one pick one for the Canucks I would take Johansen. He's proven himself in juniors and the AHL, and now it seems like he's putting it together in the NHL. That size, position and hometown also helps.

jBuds 10-28-2013 01:17 AM

I lean towards Scheifele

tony d 10-28-2013 01:27 PM

Give me Johansen.

TheOllieC 10-29-2013 10:36 AM

RyJo for me just because of seeing how far he's come this season

zetterberg40 10-29-2013 11:13 AM

RJO for me. Kid is just progressing every game and from the 2 games ive watched, he was pretty damn good. You can just see he's sniffing a breakout.. he's right there.

wpgsilver 10-29-2013 11:24 AM

Johnansen is better now, we'll see about the future. Who knows.

Daley Tarasenkshow 10-30-2013 01:07 PM

I lean towards Schifele as well.