HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Can Holtby Lead The Caps to a Cup? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1525895)

Dutchess 10-28-2013 10:49 AM

Can Holtby Lead The Caps to a Cup?

http://thefarmclub.net/2013/10/28/ho...ending-goalie/

Talented kid, I just don't think he's there yet. But if this team's gonna get over the hump and get into the Finals, it's gotta be on his shoulders.

Koized 10-28-2013 11:17 AM

Holtby could but no chance with the Capitals defense.

trick9 10-28-2013 12:19 PM

Even Patrick Roy couldn't lead this defense to a Cup.

Ridley Simon 10-28-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trick9 (Post 73388133)
Even Patrick Roy couldn't lead this defense to a Cup.

We have a winner.

End thread/

CapitalsCupFantasy 10-28-2013 03:49 PM

He's the kind of goalie who can win multiple Cups on a well rounded team.

IafrateOvie34 10-28-2013 04:18 PM

He can win a SC, but not with the Caps. The Winnipeg game is an example of talent winning games despite having any defensive help. Pathetic how bad the defense is.

RandyHolt 10-28-2013 04:33 PM

can any young goalie lead a team to a cup?

SimplySensational 10-28-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy (Post 73397405)
He's the kind of goalie who can win multiple Cups on a well rounded team.

Sure you are right. Its all Hillens fault that he let Asham get a shot on net from the top of the face off circle.

Face it, Holtby routinely gets beat by slapshots he sees the whole damn way.

HockeyTS32 10-30-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimplySensational (Post 73400867)
Sure you are right. Its all Hillens fault that he let Asham get a shot on net from the top of the face off circle.

Face it, Holtby routinely gets beat by slapshots he sees the whole damn way.

Not too sure what goal you are referring to, but most of the shots that have gone in this year are because of the players in front of him. Offensive included. Every player is routinely out of position on the caps this year in the D zone.

drmagg 10-30-2013 03:06 PM

He can lead Blackhwaks to cup. Probably also Bruins and Blues. 'Mcphee-powered-by-Capitals'? Lol.

n3ss 10-30-2013 03:57 PM

Philadelphia went to the finals with worse.

Burakovsky95* 10-30-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyTS32 (Post 73522945)
Not too sure what goal you are referring to, but most of the shots that have gone in this year are because of the players in front of him. Offensive included. Every player is routinely out of position on the caps this year in the D zone.

Asham's goal in game 7 last year

HockeyTS32 10-31-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsGoCaps19 (Post 73526869)
Asham's goal in game 7 last year

Why even bother bringing up a goal from last season/playoffs? IMO it was a nice shot, and it's not like he played terrible in the game. The caps sh** the bed in game 7 (offensively and defensively), and partly in game 6 (even though Lundqvist played lights out).

Holtby has played really well in the playoffs. They lose series because of the team in front of him either not scoring enough goals, or having defensive lapses (this includes forwards not helping out on D).

This team was built incorrectly and will be built incorrectly in the future unless the caps get rid of GMGM.

This team needs to get better with the D zone coverage or it doesn't matter who is net, they will likely never win a cup. And as I said above, this includes forwards, as mainly the first line has trouble getting the puck out of the zone at times or they don't cover the opposing D that well, or the centers don't cover the correct guy in the slot.

I believe the first line has a lot of goals against because Ovie has no idea what to in the D zone (IMO it causes Mojo and backstrom to run around at times), especially 4 on 4. It pains me when the caps are playing 4 and 4 and Ovie is out, because he has absolutely no idea who to cover or where to go to positionally in the D zone.

InfernalDark* 11-14-2013 12:27 PM

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...y-new-mask.jpg

Winter Classic mask.

QuadrupleDeke 11-14-2013 01:01 PM

Only while he's cheap.

BobRouse 11-14-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyHolt (Post 73399207)

I saw Cam Ward do it with pretty much a scrub D corp not too long ago.

When a geriatric Glen Wesley and Brett Hedican are your best D then you have issues back there.

BrooklynCapsFan 11-14-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobRouse (Post 74385725)
I saw Cam Ward do it with pretty much a scrub D corp not too long ago.

When a geriatric Glen Wesley and Brett Hedican are your best D then you have issues back there.

Um...Wesley, Hedican, Ward, Commodore was better than any D we've iced in 15 years.

edit: AND T-vo and Kaberle. That was a strong, great skating (minus Commodore) group.

BobRouse 11-14-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan (Post 74386075)
Um...Wesley, Hedican, Ward, Commodore was better than any D we've iced in 15 years.

edit: AND T-vo and Kaberle. That was a strong, great skating (minus Commodore) group.

I don't know about that. A lot of guys running out of gas there and not a strong group at all. Maybe more depth than we have now but I wouldn't take any of them over Carlson or Alzner in terms of all around play and Green crushes Tevordosky/F Kaberle offensively. They did have more experience on the bottom end.

BrooklynCapsFan 11-14-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobRouse (Post 74386359)
I don't know about that. A lot of guys running out of gas there and not a strong group at all. Maybe more depth than we have now but I wouldn't take any of them over Carlson or Alzner in terms of all around play and Green crushes Tevordosky/F Kaberle offensively. They did have more experience on the bottom end.

The only thing Mike Green crushes is diet Red Bull Vodkas. Current status: goalless and injured.

BobRouse 11-14-2013 02:09 PM

The question is whether Holtby is capable. He certainly has the talent and is still raw but he has shown flashes of dominating. Just needs to be a bit more consistent and that will come with experience.

We do need more experienced D in front of him of that there is no doubt.

EroCaps 11-14-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan (Post 74386481)
The only thing Mike Green crushes is diet Red Bull Vodkas. Current status: goalless and injured.

:laugh:

Holtby is capable of hot streaks but he's had a few meltdowns in critical games that are concerning. If this continues, then no.

But yeah, the defense is a far more pressing matter.

Liberati0n* 11-14-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan (Post 74386481)

I think you need to sit back, have a couple marijuana's, and stop harshing everyone's mellow around here.

Burakovsky95* 11-14-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyTS32 (Post 73570445)
Why even bother bringing up a goal from last season/playoffs? IMO it was a nice shot, and it's not like he played terrible in the game. The caps sh** the bed in game 7 (offensively and defensively), and partly in game 6 (even though Lundqvist played lights out).

Holtby has played really well in the playoffs. They lose series because of the team in front of him either not scoring enough goals, or having defensive lapses (this includes forwards not helping out on D).

This team was built incorrectly and will be built incorrectly in the future unless the caps get rid of GMGM.

This team needs to get better with the D zone coverage or it doesn't matter who is net, they will likely never win a cup. And as I said above, this includes forwards, as mainly the first line has trouble getting the puck out of the zone at times or they don't cover the opposing D that well, or the centers don't cover the correct guy in the slot.

I believe the first line has a lot of goals against because Ovie has no idea what to in the D zone (IMO it causes Mojo and backstrom to run around at times), especially 4 on 4. It pains me when the caps are playing 4 and 4 and Ovie is out, because he has absolutely no idea who to cover or where to go to positionally in the D zone.

I was just answering his question...

sycamore 11-14-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyHolt (Post 73399207)

Patrick Roy won a Cup as rookie with the Habs back in '86.

Portable Mink 11-18-2013 06:30 AM

Cam ward