HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Managers Address end of the year MacT (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1528003)

bigguy13 10-31-2013 12:55 AM

Managers Address end of the year MacT

Well, I found MacT's presser and after listening to it, I laugh. He made alot of promise to us fans and now he renigs on it. Boy lots of talk....

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=668340

and now this from edmonton journal

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...464/story.html

what a joke!!

Tarus 10-31-2013 01:05 AM

Not sure why this would be surprising. The promises Mact made when he was hired came from his usual arrogance, with a healthy dose of ignorance of what it takes to get things done in the NHL. If anything, it's good to know that he isn't as emotional and reactive as the fans.

Reality is, it's difficult to sway UFAs to come to Edmonton during the offseason(Mact struck out quite a bit), and it's even harder to make trades.

Tad Mikowsky 10-31-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarus (Post 73560511)
Not sure why this would be surprising. The promises Mact made when he was hired came from his usual arrogance, with a healthy dose of ignorance of what it takes to get things done in the NHL. If anything, it's good to know that he isn't as emotional and reactive as the fans.

Reality is, it's difficult to sway UFAs to come to Edmonton during the offseason(Mact struck out quite a bit), and it's even harder to make trades.

You honestly think this thread shows up if the Oilers win 3 in a row?

Tarus 10-31-2013 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky (Post 73560683)

Does Mact sit down with a reporter and do a damage control type interview if the Oilers are winning 3 in a row?

harpoon 10-31-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Not sure why this would be surprising. The promises Mact made when he was hired came from his usual arrogance, with a healthy dose of ignorance of what it takes to get things done in the NHL.

I'm seeing a lot of this word on the board lately. Katz is arrogant. Lowe is arrogant. MacT is arrogant. Eakins is arrogant. And here's me thinking all along that pro athletes and multi millionaires were among the most humble folks on the planet. Are we really down to ragging on people because we perceive them to be arrogant?

Regarding the op ... the most disappointing thing about the article you link is the fact that MacT seems to have inherited Tamby's terrible habit of asking himself stupid questions during interviews when simple declarative sentences would suffice. Sounds so moronic and looks even worse in print.

bigguy13 10-31-2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Your right we probably wouldnt be talking about this, but we havent one 3 in a row, and are out of the playoffs at the end of October:rant: Read the article and listen to the presser. MacT and co, have made this Oiler team into the Edmonton Thrashers and the Edmonton Panthers.

shogun99 10-31-2013 01:57 AM

Mac T is evaluating

jumptheshark 10-31-2013 05:29 AM

Mact will sit down with either Stauffer or Brownlee and answer only soft ball questions

Some Edmonton media would take Mact to task for the game changing promises he made in the off season

JJTopper 10-31-2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Three in a row? Let's be realistic here...we had 3 wins TOTAL in the month of October. :cry:

jumptheshark 10-31-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarus (Post 73560919)
Does Mact sit down with a reporter and do a damage control type interview if the Oilers are winning 3 in a row?

somebody is drinking someones coolaid

Tarus 10-31-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozwell (Post 73566915)
somebody is drinking someones coolaid

I think you've mistaken the intent of my post

Pointing out that the organization is in damage control mode via Mact's blatant effort to soothe restless fans in that interview(an interview that would not happen if the Oilers were winning), is not in anyway an effort to excuse or defend the team.

Oilception 10-31-2013 09:03 AM

I understand macT probably went a little overboard with saying what he was going to do, but you guys are disappointed in him?

Gordon-Great
Belov-solid addition to our defence
Ferrence- best free agent defensemen and he got him
Joensuu-great surprise
Upgrading Paajarvi to Perron. Was an excellent trade
Even when he didn't trade for a centre (like everyone wanted him to do) was smart cause we ended up being fine down the middle
We are losing at it's frustrating and we need a #1 D as well as some other things but I have no problem with macT so far

bigguy13 10-31-2013 10:46 AM

[QUOTE=Oilception;73569041]I understand macT probably went a little overboard with saying what he was going to do, but you guys are disappointed in him?

Gordon-Great
Joensuu-great surprise
Even when he didn't trade for a centre (like everyone wanted him to do) was smart cause we ended up being fine down the middle
We are losing at it's frustrating and we need a #1 D as well as some other things but I have no problem with macT so far[/QUOTE

Gordon is ok has cooled off
Belov to soon to evaluate, so was Corry Potter and look how that has turned out
Ferrence is another smallish defenseman who doesnt hit or punish
Joensuu injured and only played well when preseason when we played half nhl rosters
Perron is a good trade

We still have smallish centers who get injured easily, Gagner is weak at faceoffs and a defensive liability and he signed a massive cap hit.

Beerfish 10-31-2013 10:48 AM

MacT is finding out what it is like to be in Tambellinis shoes. Long past are the old BOLD statements. As for free agents the team has totally and utterly failed to repair the damaged reputation of the team and as long as Lowe is around we are screwed.

This team is still more interested in screwing players over that displease them than doing whats good for the team. Has always been that way and always will be as long as we have a short tempered, arrogant, underachieving head of hockey operations.

SWARM 10-31-2013 10:49 AM

[QUOTE=bigguy13;73571981]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilception (Post 73569041)
I understand macT probably went a little overboard with saying what he was going to do, but you guys are disappointed in him?

Gordon-Great
Joensuu-great surprise
We are losing at it's frustrating and we need a #1 D as well as some other things but I have no problem with macT so far[/QUOTE

Joensuu injured and only played well when preseason when we played half nhl rosters
Perron is a good trade

We still have smallish centers who get injured easily, Gagner is weak at faceoffs and a defensive liability and he signed a massive cap hit.

Gagner was over 70% his first game back. Credibility...Lost.

misfit 10-31-2013 10:49 AM

So what exactly are these promises he is now apparently going back on?

Beerfish 10-31-2013 10:50 AM

The last 4 or 5 years this team has needed a #1 or #2 dman and a forward with size and grit in the top 6.

We now need a #1 or #2 dman a forward with size and grit in the top 6 and a goalie.

Beerfish 10-31-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misfit (Post 73572071)
So what exactly are these promises he is now apparently going back on?

BOLD!
Impatient.
No excuses!
No longer a young team.

If you can't see the change in what he said in the 1st interview and now, when he sounds 100% like Tambo I don't know what to say.

elmeroil 10-31-2013 11:00 AM

It's so easy for these guys to come in and talk the talk in the summer or at the start and end of the season. Quinn did it, Renney did it, Krueger did it, Tambo did it and now Mac T and Eakins have done it. Like I said after they did all the talking in the summer, we need to see results and until then they need to stop talking. Show us don't tell us.

Jimmi Jenkins 10-31-2013 11:05 AM

I see the failure here, the assumption some of you are making that it was going to be Both Easy and Happen Over Night.

Try adjusting your view for Reality, then it will all make more sense.

bigguy13 10-31-2013 11:08 AM

[QUOTE=DrDreidelz;73572063]
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigguy13 (Post 73571981)

Gagner was over 70% his first game back. Credibility...Lost.

Gagner was 70% for one game with a big -3 our saviour.....

Jimmi Jenkins 10-31-2013 11:24 AM

[QUOTE=bigguy13;73572771]
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDreidelz (Post 73572063)

Gagner was 70% for one game with a big -3 our saviour.....

He was minus 4, but to assume that is all because of his personal play is...well, what happens when you assume.

Beerfish 10-31-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 73572685)
I see the failure here, the assumption some of you are making that it was going to be Both Easy and Happen Over Night.

Try adjusting your view for Reality, then it will all make more sense.

I suggest you tell this to MacT not us. While you are at it post the MacT/Vince McMahon strut.

Petro Points 10-31-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigguy13 (Post 73571981)
Perron is a good trade

If by cooled off you mean 2nd most faceoff wins in NHL and most blocked shots by a forward then sure.. He is also at a 20% shooting %. and 60%+ on the dot.

Dont buy the too soon to evaluate... We have seen enough to know that he is an upgrade over anyone on the bottom pairing. The fact that he has been getting more ice time than Smid and has been playing better than both Ference and Smid makes this a 'good' signing.

Ference is a veteran player that we need more of... Nothing special but good enough to a be a top 4 Dman.. You cant say that signing him was a bad management decision.

Joensuu when healthy was a beast ... Cant call it a bad pickup either..

The complainers are going to complain and pick fault in everyone.. MacT has done a good enough job so far when comparing to other GMs.

Sure he could have dangled Hall when Seguin was on the block.. The complainers would have still moaned.. There is no pleasing everyone..

Petro Points 10-31-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerfish (Post 73573663)
I suggest you tell this to MacT not us. While you are at it post the MacT/Vince McMahon strut.

MacT in a later interview did acknowledge that he over estimated the process in the beginning and he needs to build bridges with other GMs before he can make deals.