HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   OT: Does Buffalo Sports Fan Really Have A True Enemy? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1528121)

rkhum 10-31-2013 08:42 AM

Does Buffalo Sports Fan Really Have A True Enemy?

Thinking about the Sox possibly winning, as an NY fan it drives me nuts.

I was curious for Buffalo, which teams and towns do you mortally hate?
Like with New York it's Boston and Philly among others (Cowboys, Redskins).

Buffalo, not so clear. Bruins are a rival, but not that big like Rangers-Isles. The Leafs seems more about Leaf fans in Buffalo than a real rival. Bills used to have one with Miami.

Clock 10-31-2013 09:00 AM

Personally, I feel that the current team is so bad that worrying too much about other teams is a bit of a waste.

barnell 10-31-2013 09:12 AM

I hate Boston with every fiber of my being.

That being said the true enemy of a Buffalo Sports team are the majority Buffalo Sports Fans.

pigpen65 10-31-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clock (Post 73568975)
Personally, I feel that the current team is so bad that worrying too much about other teams is a bit of a waste.

Buffalo fans greatest enemy is low self esteem, self pity, and self hatred. We are the emo kids of the sporting world.

ZZamboni 10-31-2013 09:13 AM

I know you mentioned teams AND towns. But why even mention towns (or cities) :dunno: that just invites slamming each other's cities and then each other's fans. Not cool.

Keeping with teams and hockey.... Flyers, Leafs, Bruins, Hurricanes, Stars.

HockeyH3aven 10-31-2013 09:27 AM

Anything from Boston.

MayDay 10-31-2013 09:31 AM

The Buffalo Sports Fan's greatest enemy is Buffalo pro sports teams.

Crazy Tasty 10-31-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayDay (Post 73569687)

Haha, I was just about to say Buffalo is it's own enemy. License plates ftw.

toejam56 10-31-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven (Post 73569573)
Anything from Boston.

Abolutely. Positively. Twice on Sundays. Boston blows. Any day. Any time. Any Sport. Capish?

Ghost of Dale Hunter 10-31-2013 10:12 AM

Themselves. We tend to think we are special and owed something and we are paranoid.

Ethan Edwards 10-31-2013 10:24 AM

My take is there are a number of teams (NHL, NFL) that would be considered true enemies, though who's #1 would probably vary (Bruins, Leafs, etc.../Dolphins, Jets, etc...). But it would be one-way, as arguably none of those fans would consider the Sabres/Bills to be THEIR #1 rival. Rivals, yes, and even hated at times, but not arch-enemies ala Bruins-Canadiens or Cowboys-Redskins...or Yankees-Red Sox to go the MLB route.

Clock 10-31-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost of Dale Hunter (Post 73570847)
Themselves. We tend to think we are special and owed something and we are paranoid.

That's actually a great answer for this season.

I'm disheartened by the fanbase's reaction to the investment being made now, but that's another story.

Further clarification - I remain anti-Boston, Toronto, and Philly, but don't feel the same level of dislike as prior years.

haseoke39 10-31-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty (Post 73570089)
Haha, I was just about to say Buffalo is it's own enemy. License plates ftw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayDay (Post 73569687)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigpen65 (Post 73569239)
Buffalo fans greatest enemy is low self esteem, self pity, and self hatred. We are the emo kids of the sporting world.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnell (Post 73569237)
the true enemy of a Buffalo Sports team are the majority Buffalo Sports Fans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clock (Post 73568975)

Came here to post about half of this.

jamers 10-31-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clock (Post 73571767)
I remain anti-Boston, Toronto, and Philly, but don't feel the same level of dislike as prior years.

Same here.

Until we're relevant again, the only hated elements of our team are Scott and Kaleta.

SatanwasaSlovak 10-31-2013 12:43 PM

Ms. Fortune...

rkhum 10-31-2013 12:45 PM

So in Buffalo, you got the Bills and Sabres.
I assume baseball is a bunch of Free Agents between mainly Yankees, Sox, Mets, Jays, and Indians.

Between the Bills and Sabres is there any true rival city or team?
To me the answer seems, no. It's not like Boston really looks to Buffalo as hated....they got New York and Montreal.

Buffalo naturally would seem to hate New York and closer towns like Pittsburgh, Detroit, Ohio, and yet you really don't have any history with those towns, and for some foolish reason you never were placed with other Great Lake cities.

Djp 10-31-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doakes (Post 73568589)
Thinking about the Sox possibly winning, as an NY fan it drives me nuts.

I was curious for Buffalo, which teams and towns do you mortally hate?
Like with New York it's Boston and Philly among others (Cowboys, Redskins).

Buffalo, not so clear. Bruins are a rival, but not that big like Rangers-Isles. The Leafs seems more about Leaf fans in Buffalo than a real rival. Bills used to have one with Miami.

Boston and toronto are the two biggest rivals. What drives NYC is because the teams are in the same metro area so you have a decent mix of fnas. You also have other cross town rivals in other sports.

MGIII 10-31-2013 01:15 PM

There are definitely tiers to this. Anything Boston usually tops the list, as that city is everything Buffalo wishes it was from sports teams to its metropolitan significance and culture. The Leafs are up there because we share the same market and their fans always fill the arena. Crossing in to Football, the entire AFC East is a safe bet, but it's difficult there because the Bills haven't been relevant enough to really stoke the flames of rivalry.

TehDoak 10-31-2013 01:26 PM

On a personal level, I rather enjoy seeing the Carolina Hurricanes falter. Because **** those lucky ass hats.

Robert 10-31-2013 01:44 PM

Philly..... rivals take two to dance, I've spent quite a bit of time in Philly due to family there... no Philly sport fan worth his salt has ever said a good thing about the Sabres or Bills, or Buffalo for that matter. There is a true dislike between the fan bases, they have a long history of distain dating back to the Cup series in '75..

MayDay 10-31-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doakes (Post 73577241)
So in Buffalo, you got the Bills and Sabres.
I assume baseball is a bunch of Free Agents between mainly Yankees, Sox, Mets, Jays, and Indians.

I'm a Mets fan, but I don't think there's a lot of others.

There's a lot of Yankee fans. Also a surprisingly large number of Braves fans, I guess because of TBS.

A few Indians and Pirates fans are likely holdovers from eras when the Bisons were the farm club for those teams.

By and large though, even for Buffalonians who are fans of an MLB team, I get the sense that they don't follow it is as passionately as NFL and NHL.

But at least there are baseball fans. Basketball and soccer might as well not exist.

brian_griffin 10-31-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haseoke39 (Post 73573731)
Came here to post about half of this.

I was going to add:

"winning"

"moral victories"

"Leon Czolgosz"

"47 yards of natural grass"

"Brett Hull's left foot"

joshjull 10-31-2013 03:35 PM

I would say we are our own biggest rival right now. No one can shut us down and embarrass us quite like we can.

oldgoalie 10-31-2013 03:43 PM

"We have met the enemy and he is us".

littletonhockeycoach 10-31-2013 04:44 PM

A Buffalo (Sabres) sports fan's true enemy: Larry Quinn and Kevin Sylvester.......