HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Steve Downie traded to Flyers for Max Talbot (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1528309)

Hiesenberg 10-31-2013 12:26 PM

Steve Downie traded to Flyers for Max Talbot

What?

Per Adrian Dater

---------------------------------------------------

Mod Edit:

http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=689310 Confirmed

Quote:

The Colorado Avalanche Hockey Club announced today that the team has acquired forward Maxime Talbot from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for forward Steve Downie.

Talbot, 29, has appeared in all 11 games for the Flyers this year, tallying a goal and one assist. A native of Lemoyne, Quebec, Talbot has recorded 77 goals and 77 assists for 154 points in 515 career games between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. He has also skated in 77 career playoff games, totaling 39 points (18g/21a).

“Maxime is a veteran forward who has won a Stanley Cup and has a lot of NHL experience,” said Avalanche Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Joe Sakic. “We’re looking forward to him bringing that experience to our club.”

Talbot helped the Penguins win the 2009 Stanley Cup after tallying 13 points (8g/5a) in 24 postseason games that spring. He scored both goals in Pittsburgh’s 2-1 series-clinching victory over the Red Wings in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final at Detroit. Selected by Pittsburgh in the eighth round (234th overall) of the 2002 Entry Draft, Talbot spent his first six seasons with the Penguins before signing with Philadelphia as a free agent on July 1, 2011.
(thanks ukflyers)

--------------------------------------------

Quote:

VOORHEES, N.J. – In need of a shakeup, the Flyers traded one gritty forward for another – who is all too familiar with the Flyers organization.

The Flyers traded Max Talbot to the Colorado Avalanche Thursday in exchange for Steve Downie. Downie was originally a Flyers draft pick, selected in the first round of the 2005 NHL entry draft.

Downie, 26, was originally traded to Tampa Bay by the Flyers as part of the deal for Matt Carle. He had one goal and six assists for seven points in 11 games so far this season for the Avalanche, a decent start after missing almost the entire season in 2012-13 with an injury.

It’s an interesting swap because Downie provides a bit more offense and a bit more of an edge while sacrificing some defensive zone responsibility as well as strong penalty killing.

It’s also an interesting move financially as the Flyers are taking on more immediate salary – Downie has a $2.65 million cap hit while Talbot has a $1.75 million deal – but Downie is in the final year of his deal while Talbot is locked up for two more years after this season.

Talbot, 29, had one goal and one assist for two points in 11 games for the Flyers and was definitely a likeable player in the locker room.

My initial reaction here is that this is a decent move for the Flyers as Downie brings a little more to the table than Talbot – and it’s a move that is low risk, high reward.
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=22127
------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"I like the hunger and energy he brings," GM Paul Holmgren said. "I think he'll help us."

The Flyers have scored two goals or fewer in 10 of their 11 games. The lack or production is why Holmgren made the move. Holmgren said Talbot's defensive play will be missed, "but we felt at the other end, we needed something to stir the pot."

Downie may be used on the top line to give Claude Giroux more room.

Holmgren called Downie someone "who goes to the front of the net with a purpose and he can really hold onto the puck and make plays. Steve's a good player, a better player than maybe people give him credit for."
Quote:

"This is my seventh year in the league. I've grown with the game. I know when to pick my spots now," said Downie, who played for Flyers coach Craig Berube when he coached the Phantoms.

This year, Downie usually played on Colorado's top line, with Matt Duchene and Ryan O'Reilly.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...tdiaRqlHmsV.99

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:

“We felt we needed someone to stir the pot,’’ general manager Paul Holmgren said. “I think Steve is going to help us in that regard.’’

Downie has a $2.6-million salary cap hit and is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

In his NHL career, Downie has played in 285 games, with 56 goals, 89 assists for 145 points and 696 penalty minutes.

He missed all but two of last year’s 48-game season due to a torn ACL in his right knee.

Talbot, 29, signed as a free agent three years ago ($9 million for 5 years, $1.75-million salary cap hit), and scored 19 goals his first season.

In 127 games for the Flyers, Talbot had 25 goals and a total of 46 points. For his career, Talbot has 515 games, with 77 goals, 77 assists and 154 points.

Rick Tocchet, who coached Downie in Tampa, agreed with Holmgren’s assessment. In addition to providing badly needed energy, Downie, according to Tocchet, can be effective on Claude Giroux’s line and help the captain get out of his scoring slump.

“Stir the pot? Yeah,’’ Tocchet said in a conference call. “I like to call it changing the momentum. Perfect example is when they’re playing Anaheim (Tuesday, a 3-2 loss in which the Flyers fell apart in the third period).

“They play a great first, second period was OK and they started losing themselves in the third period. Who’s that guy that can go out there and change the momentum? Get in front of the goalie, win battles in the corner, even have collisions with guys?

“You need that kind of player to wake your bench up. And you can play him on your top six. He’s a natural right shot (who might play the off-wing) that can help Giroux. Claude should start to score goals.’’
http://www.buckscountycouriertimes.c...43d65e53c.html

Beef Invictus 10-31-2013 12:26 PM

PHI acquires Steve Downie from COL for Max Talbot

Saw it on the trade boards, figured I'd make a thread. Colorado TV source cited, so if that proves to be nonsense I'll shut this down.

Edit: Kyle Keefe ‏@kylekeefetv 5m
Avs make a trade. Aquire Max Talbot for Steve Downie.

And apparently Dater has confirmed.

TwoPadStack 10-31-2013 12:27 PM

Unbelievable trade. Congratulations.

UKFlyers 10-31-2013 12:27 PM

Wasn't expecting that.

BillDineen 10-31-2013 12:27 PM

This is great if true.

Hiesenberg 10-31-2013 12:28 PM

I don't really know what to make of it actually.

DrinkFightFlyers 10-31-2013 12:29 PM

Wow. I liked Talbot and I like Downie. Win, I guess? Where does he play?

Beef Invictus 10-31-2013 12:29 PM

Did Colorado have a perishing need for a a very good defensive 4th liner and PKer who happens to suck badly on offense?

UKFlyers 10-31-2013 12:30 PM

http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=689310 Confirmed

Quote:

The Colorado Avalanche Hockey Club announced today that the team has acquired forward Maxime Talbot from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for forward Steve Downie.

Talbot, 29, has appeared in all 11 games for the Flyers this year, tallying a goal and one assist. A native of Lemoyne, Quebec, Talbot has recorded 77 goals and 77 assists for 154 points in 515 career games between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. He has also skated in 77 career playoff games, totaling 39 points (18g/21a).

“Maxime is a veteran forward who has won a Stanley Cup and has a lot of NHL experience,” said Avalanche Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Joe Sakic. “We’re looking forward to him bringing that experience to our club.”

Talbot helped the Penguins win the 2009 Stanley Cup after tallying 13 points (8g/5a) in 24 postseason games that spring. He scored both goals in Pittsburgh’s 2-1 series-clinching victory over the Red Wings in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final at Detroit. Selected by Pittsburgh in the eighth round (234th overall) of the 2002 Entry Draft, Talbot spent his first six seasons with the Penguins before signing with Philadelphia as a free agent on July 1, 2011.

chromemaro 10-31-2013 12:30 PM

Is there anyone who doesn't like steve downie. Welcome back.

chinatown81592 10-31-2013 12:30 PM

What? O.o

CanadianFlyer88 10-31-2013 12:30 PM

Whaaa?

Crazy, if true.

Hiesenberg 10-31-2013 12:30 PM

Pretty much confirmed now

Shady McCoy 10-31-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chromemaro (Post 73579947)
Is there anyone who doesn't like steve downie. Welcome back.

Me...

the watcher 10-31-2013 12:31 PM

where does he fit in?

Krishna 10-31-2013 12:31 PM

I don't understand why the Avs make this

PhillyFlying 10-31-2013 12:32 PM

YES YES YES YES HOLY WOW YES

side note: thanks max for everything you did while you were a flyer. couldn't stand you when you were a pen and now i'll always have a soft spot for ya.

AllAbout813 10-31-2013 12:32 PM

Grats. Love Downie, still wish he was on the Bolts. Was always one of my favorite players. Steal for Talbot.

Hiesenberg 10-31-2013 12:33 PM

Loved Downie. Him and Rinaldo on the same team will be fun.

OriginJM 10-31-2013 12:33 PM

YESSSSSSSSSSSSssssssss

CanadianFlyer88 10-31-2013 12:33 PM

Pretty shocking move by the Avs... though Talbot and Duchene were in those commercials together during the summer with Tavares. Clearly Colorado is also making a play for JT. :sarcasm:

chromemaro 10-31-2013 12:33 PM

I would assume Raffl will be the odd man out?

flyershockey 10-31-2013 12:33 PM

Downie's a gamer and will look great in the middle six. What exactly was Colorado thinking on this one? Talbot has become a very replacable player.

shipwreck 10-31-2013 12:33 PM

Damn, I'm gonna miss Talbot.... He did suck recently, but was very good two years ago. Anyway, I still liked him. Oh well...

Hiesenberg 10-31-2013 12:34 PM

Does Downie go to the top line immediately? Did he play with Vinny or Stamkos down in TB?