HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Missing the point (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=15286)

mcphee 09-29-2003 08:39 AM

Missing the point

Amidst all our discussion of Brisebois and his many detractors, I think we are losing focus on the real issue. The Montreal Canadiens have someone in charge who has the backs of his players. The message seems clear, perform to the best of your abilities and management will be behind you. Don't worry about the media, I'm in charge and you will be held accountable to me. He has made it clear that as members of the team, they will be expected to wear the uniform with pride.

So far it's only words, but it's pretty encouraging to hear what the voice of leadership sounds like again. It's a welcome change.

Gros Bill 09-29-2003 08:47 AM

I agree with you McPhee. The big change is that BG has publicly backed Brisebois and, by extension, all the other players as well. However, I was surprised at the language he used to do so (very strong words).

Also, I wonder how George Gillet reacted. Usually, "the customer is always right" and telling people to stay at home if they don't like the product is not usually the thing to do.

Did BG consult GG before his sortie? Has they talked about it beforehand?

I don't think it will change the booing, tho, although Patrice might get a reprieve. The important thing is the players know management is backing them, and that should help. Maybe BG has started laying the foundation for better team spirit, with a kind of "Us against the world" message.

Munchausen 09-29-2003 09:13 AM

Well mcphee, it was what I was raving about when I heard the story about BG's comments. It's nice for Breezer that he gets recognition for his recent efforts but the real deal here, IMO, is the impact this thing will have in the locker room.

Like I said in an other thread, if I'm a player, I'm damn happy to finally have, in "hockey mad Montreal", a GM who's not an inexperienced wuss that will let the fans and/or media run the show and call the shots. You have to be pleased about that (again, as a player) as you can now say you have someone that will cover your back publicly, something crucial in Montreal, if you perform well and give all you have to.

On the other hand, I think the players should (and probably do) know they have a just but demanding boss. He probably won't cover them for what's not justifiable. I don't think he would have approved of Brisebois' Paris escapade last year. He's not there to cover them for everything no matter what. But in the boobirds' case, I think it was understandable and even necessary for the team unity and to send a clear message to his players. So a wise move, even if it pissed of a couple of fans (who are pretty lousy anyway for doing something that makes us play worst).

All of this can only push them to perform at the maximum of their capacities cause in the end, it should create a stronger and thighter team. Even if it does not guarentee success, it sure can give a little confidence boost to the players knowing they're no longer part of a push around organization. I'm loving it.

Capitano 09-29-2003 09:19 AM

I like the fact that Gainey stood by Patrice. BG isn't stupid, he has the respect of the media in Montreal and he can get away with certain things that any regular GM wouldn't have been able to. I think the media is one of the major reasons why players have such a hard time playing here. The list of players that we trade always end up having better careers than they did in Montreal. I think BG is trying to let the players know that he'll protect them. If you remember, BG has refused to let the media on the plane with the players this year. In the end, if it makes Montreal a better city to play in, everybody will be happy.

Cap

HABitude 09-29-2003 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee
Amidst all our discussion of Brisebois and his many detractors, I think we are losing focus on the real issue. The Montreal Canadiens have someone in charge who has the backs of his players. The message seems clear, perform to the best of your abilities and management will be behind you. Don't worry about the media, I'm in charge and you will be held accountable to me. He has made it clear that as members of the team, they will be expected to wear the uniform with pride.

So far it's only words, but it's pretty encouraging to hear what the voice of leadership sounds like again. It's a welcome change.

And what the captain Koivu and what GM Savard have done about that last year?
About nothing, huh?
It's obvious BG has the RESPECT and the name to impose the new rules of the game here in Mtl. Good thing because there wasn't true leaders before BG.

Joe Cole 09-29-2003 09:43 AM

I too was happy to hear that Gainey didn't become an apologist or an appeaser. He came right out and said what was on his mind. Listen, he already alluded to the act that he was going to move players if the were not up to snuff. But in the meanwhile, Brisebois is a Hab. He should be treated well by the organization. They should stick up for him. If the Habs lose some attendance, so be it. If they become a better team and start seriously contending, then the crowds will come.

Think of it, the better he plays, the better for us, whether we keep him or trade him. Would you prefer Roy/Keane for Thibeau/Ruchinsky/Little Tank (can't think of his name). Buy low, sell high.

Bottom line, it is nice to see someone who doesn't let the crowd or journalists influence their decisions. Can Corey, Houle, Tremblay, Vigneault, Therrien, A. Savard say that they never let the mob do the thinking? Refreshing.

Who cares what RDS, le Journal, the Gazette, la Presse say about the Habs. When was the last time they had something constructive or analytical to say about the Habs. What knowledge we Montrealers display when all we can do is boo at a player who hasn't yet touched the puck. We are educated by the bozos I mentioned above, that is why we may know what an off-side is, but we can't tell a pick from a saucer pass.

Note: when I say "we" I mean the population at large, not the people on this board. For the most part,we are above average "hockey-wise".

NWT Habs Fan 09-29-2003 09:43 AM

Although the target of Bob's wrath was some of the media and fans, the real impact will be seen from its other intended audience...the players. I would fully expect that all the players all felt that much better about themselves when they heard their boss lashing out in support of one of their own.

It's all about leadership. It's about standing up and screaming "enough" when you don't like what is going on and when you want of influence change. It's about doing what it takes to get the most of your players. It's about changing all the past perceptions of the dressing room cliques and the general lack of effort from some of the personnel.

And...it's about time!!

Gros Bill 09-29-2003 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Cole
... but we can't tell a pick from a saucer pass.

What's a saucer pass ? :dunno:

habsfan11 09-29-2003 09:46 AM

More then anybody else, BG knows the politics of the game. BG is a well respected man and his opinions are valued by many, so when BG speaks everyone listens, and thats what happened on saturday. He established himself as a leader of the team, like he did when he was a player, and now we have to sit back and see how his changes effect the team. Brisebois will be here for the next little while, and theres no point in booing him cause its not going to make gainey trade him any sooner.

mcphee 09-29-2003 09:51 AM

Habitude, I think that past administrations were so bogged down in political correctness and worrying about how they were perceived, they choked the personality out of the team. The team thought that a simple thing like speaking your mind would empty out the stands and suspend all beer sales. Imagine if a mouth like Brett Hull was in Montreal. You'd see the PR director leaping off the Jacques Cartier bridge. I think Gainey understands that sometimes you can look someone in the eye and speak your mind. Remember his comments about trade rumours, something to the effect of "We will let you know when we make a roster change ". That's his way of telling the media that he runs the team and won't negotiate thru the media. i think that there has been a lack of leadership in the entire organozation and has been for a long time. I think that Koivu is our best choice for captain, but if he was dealt, who is there ? Quintal ? Maybe, but there aren't many candidates. I'm sure that BG has noticed this.

Joe Cole 09-29-2003 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gros Bill

It's when you pass the puck while drinking a coffee with that little plate under the cup. ;)

Gros Bill 09-29-2003 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Cole
It's when you pass the puck while drinking a coffee with that little plate under the cup. ;)

OK :) (but I thought that was a slurp pass)

Joe Cole 09-29-2003 10:15 AM

Quote:

OK :) (but I thought that was a slurp pass)

Ah, ok. You must have gotten that idea from one of Rejean Tremblay's or Jack Todd's columns. They explain the game at such a gradular level. :D

StanleyCH25 09-29-2003 10:15 AM

Quote:

If you're not kidding, then a saucer pass is when you raise the puck an inch or two above the ice to send it over an opponent's stick onto one of your teammates' sticks.

If you're kidding, then :dunno:

Joe Maximum 09-29-2003 11:22 AM

Quote:

Maybe BG has started laying the foundation for better team spirit, with a kind of "Us against the world" message.

Look at what happened with the alouettes, Don Matthews has installed a perfect us against the world mentality

Gros Bill 09-29-2003 12:44 PM

[QUOTE=patp77]If you're not kidding, then a saucer pass is when you raise the puck an inch or two above the ice to send it over an opponent's stick onto one of your teammates' sticks.
QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. Never heard that term used.

HABitude 09-29-2003 01:16 PM

Quote:

Habitude, I think that past administrations were so bogged down in political correctness and worrying about how they were perceived, they choked the personality out of the team. The team thought that a simple thing like speaking your mind would empty out the stands and suspend all beer sales. Imagine if a mouth like Brett Hull was in Montreal. You'd see the PR director leaping off the Jacques Cartier bridge. I think Gainey understands that sometimes you can look someone in the eye and speak your mind. Remember his comments about trade rumours, something to the effect of "We will let you know when we make a roster change ". That's his way of telling the media that he runs the team and won't negotiate thru the media. i think that there has been a lack of leadership in the entire organozation and has been for a long time. I think that Koivu is our best choice for captain, but if he was dealt, who is there ? Quintal ? Maybe, but there aren't many candidates. I'm sure that BG has noticed this.

I am agree with what you say but look at the captain situation: it's obvious that our captain Koivu is not a perfect captain, he is the best player on the team and shows up every night, every shift. But as a captain stuff, he's not the best person. Gainey was a good captain. He wasn't the best player on the team but he had the captain stuff, YKWIM, the way he spoked his mind just shows it. He have the guts to speak and he still deserve respect. I think that in a way Quintal could be a better captain. That question can be debate, I'm not sure of my opinion but if ever Koivu was traded, Quintal comes first in my mind. Of course BG have noticed that Koivu is the best choice for captain, that's because there is not really another better candidate. There are times when a captain (who is a leader) must speak and last year, if you remember, in delicates situations, Koivu didn't.

Mike8 09-29-2003 03:45 PM

Quote:

Habitude, I think that past administrations were so bogged down in political correctness and worrying about how they were perceived, they choked the personality out of the team. The team thought that a simple thing like speaking your mind would empty out the stands and suspend all beer sales.

Good points. But keep in mind that few people can speak like Gainey can to the media. I don't think an Andre Savard can come in here and make the statements that Gainey has without suffering some consequences.

Gainey has come in here with experience, Cups, a history in Montreal, a fanbase that worships him and assumes he will restore former glory (a tough task to be sure, but also gives Gainey major leeway for the first year or two), and has demanded leeway from the organization to do what he wants from the get-go. (Not only is he involved in hockey operations, but if memory serves me right he has a position in the franchise. This is significant as it will give him more power to excersize, and more seniority than a regular General Manager.)

mcphee 09-30-2003 03:43 AM

Mike8, agreed, and I don't blame AS for not having some attributes that BG has. I don't think it became that clear how much this franchise needs to be perceived differently until now. It's turned into a kind of self feeding cycle, with the fans, media and team's reaction. I think Gainey realizes this and intends to change things. It will take time but I think he understands the task at hand. I feel that the organization has lacked real leadership and direction for a long time. I think AS was aware of alot of things that he felt unable to address because as you point out, he didn't have Gainey's power.